The Basement Project

kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
edited November 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
For the last three months, AfroAnnnie and I have been working on our basement, fixing it up to turn it from blah to AWESOME.

This is our journey.

Flooding damaged the carpet, so Afro decided to install hardwood flooring. Here's some before shots:

9148354316_abe1a352b5_n.jpg

9146132933_58b1b77ace_n.jpg

9146133351_c4c7a30559_n.jpg

9146133719_49ee873eff_n.jpg

Most notable about the basement before we started work on it was a coy pond. Yes, some crazy dude who lived in the house before us decided it would be a good idea to install a fish pond in the basement. And he, like, SUPER GLUED the f-- out of it to ensure it would be hard as $hit to be taken out. Unfortunately we don't have any shots of the pond itself, but here's a shot of the pond destruction progress:

9146132029_49faa2f9d4_n.jpg

After that, we were left with an oddly shaped spot at the bottom of the stairs. What to put in it?

9148353810_cc9e96e3f6_n.jpg

We already had a spot for the bar ...

9146248341_a6647e46e9.jpg

9146248645_f99c06ccbc.jpg

... and the vinyl ...

9148351742_ee5c3bd9ef_n.jpg
(Before)

9148351376_817faa283b_n.jpg
(After)

9148352854_b3f49e377a.jpg
(with PJ CD shelf installed)

So with two of our deep passions covered (music, booze), we turned to our third: Books.

So right now we're in the process of installing a built-in bookcase for the basement. Here's how it's coming along:

9148357536_3973159561_n.jpg
(No more fish pond!)

9146138213_174a003738_n.jpg
(All the wood Afro kept talking about ...)

9146136827_091aef4d3a_n.jpg
(Our living room during staining.)

9148361900_34bfd962e1.jpg
(Our dining room during staining.)

9146137929_fdfa3bab6a.jpg

9148360388_b4ac0753d7.jpg

9148351976_151cfba73c.jpg
(Finally!)

We hope to finish the bookcase by Friday, and we'll update the thread then. We'll also post some other pictures of the basement after it gets cleaned up, and as we start putting framed tour posters up.

Thanks for reading! :D

- AfroAnnnie & kw18
"Where's KW?"
"Let's check Idaho."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    It's so exciting to see the transformation of our basement over the last 3 months... :mrgreen:

As you can see, as soon as kw moved in I put him straight to work... ;)
    ( :wave: sweetie!)

Once the bookcase is fully assembled with the books loaded we both plan to sit at the bottom of the stairs and stare at our finished work :mrgreen:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    Love it!
    Love it!

Thanks! :D
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    afroannnie wrote:

Once the bookcase is fully assembled with the books loaded we both plan to sit at the bottom of the stairs and stare at our finished work :mrgreen:

Because that's totally normal. :P :mrgreen:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Built-in book cases are nice. Are you guys handy with woodwork or are you just learning as you go?

You should've kept the pond. :lol:
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    kw18 wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

Because that's totally normal. :P :mrgreen:

Of course! :mrgreen: I'll bring the popcorn...we may be there awhile.. ;)
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I have a case of basement envy.. have for a few years now... we don't have them here in oz and ive only ever been in 3. *sigh*
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Built-in book cases are nice. Are you guys handy with woodwork or are you just learning as you go?

I've had some experience handling wood :shifty: , but kw is the more experienced one...he's built bookcases in the past...just not quite this magnitude... :shock:

:lol: I used the fishpond as a huge "cooler" for my housewarming party...40-50 pounds of ice and tons of beer...but that thing is a bitch to clean out... :fp: :lol:

We'll definitely get more use out of the bookcase :mrgreen:
    I have a case of basement envy.. have for a few years now... we don't have them here in oz and ive only ever been in 3. *sigh*

Basements are definitely nice! Aw...sorry you don't have one...but the next time you're in the US you can visit ours and bump it up your total to 4 :)
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    afroannnie wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

I've had some experience handling wood :shifty: , but kw is the more experienced one...he's built bookcases in the past...just not quite this magnitude... :shock:

:lol: I used the fishpond as a huge "cooler" for my housewarming party...40-50 pounds of ice and tons of beer...but that thing is a bitch to clean out... :fp: :lol:

How did you drain it?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    afroannnie wrote:

Basements are definitely nice! Aw...sorry you don't have one...but the next time you're in the US you can visit ours and bump it up your total to 4 :)

ive been in the basement of city lights bookstore so I guess im already at 4... but #5... im looking to that.. where abouts you at?

you would think a country as hot as Australia would benefit immensely from basements but alas were without them.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

That sucks. :(

I wanted to build a mini Batcave, but SOMEONE shot that idea down pretty quick ... :shifty:

:wave:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    JK_Livin wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

How did you drain it?

It didn't have a drain, so I had to 'scoop" the water out using a bucket.. :fp: :fp: And thus, the fish pond was used as a cooler only once.
    kw18 wrote:

I wanted to build a mini Batcave, but SOMEONE shot that idea down pretty quick ... :shifty:

yeah see I already know that if I ever got a basement itd immediately become my library... I can picture the bookcases... the rugs... the sofa... im there, I just need the basement. in fact whenever im staying with a particular friend of mine ,whilst doing my laundry id lean against his washing machine and totally renovate his basement in my vision. :lol::lol::lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    afroannnie wrote:

ive been in the basement of city lights bookstore so I guess im already at 4... but #5... im looking to that.. where abouts you at?

you would think a country as hot as Australia would benefit immensely from basements but alas were without them.

We're in Pennsylvania...about an 1 1/2 hours from D.C. It gets really hot here too...with high humidity, so yeah the basement is awesome in the summer...it's at least 10 degrees cooler down there...

So why no basements in oz?
    kw18 wrote:

:lol::lol: When we get tired of the current renovations...you can turn it into a batcave...you know 30 years from now... ;)
    afroannnie wrote:
    We're in Pennsylvania...about an 1 1/2 hours from D.C. It gets really hot here too...with high humidity, so yeah the basement is awesome in the summer...it's at least 10 degrees cooler down there...

I don't know why no basement in oz. im thinking id have to look into the history of basements in america to see why you have them to figure out why we don't. right now im thinking that maybe its got something to do with fuel storing for harsh winters??? but that's only a guess and maybe an incorrect one.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    afroannnie wrote:

I don't know why no basement in oz. im thinking id have to look into the history of basements in america to see why you have them to figure out why we don't. right now im thinking that maybe its got something to do with fuel storing for harsh winters??? but that's only a guess and maybe an incorrect one.

:think: Hmm...interesting...Some places in the US don't have basements, but it usually has to do with the soil, water levels, etc.
    afroannnie wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

:think: Hmm...interesting...Some places in the US don't have basements, but it usually has to do with the soil, water levels, etc.

well yeah that makes sense.. if you have a shallow water table having a basement could be problematic... the soil where I live is clay so thatd be a bitch to dig through if one wanted a basement. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    we have a huge basement with three finished rooms and we never use them. but it is nice to know we could :roll:
    afroannnie wrote:

well yeah that makes sense.. if you have a shallow water table having a basement could be problematic... the soil where I live is clay so thatd be a bitch to dig through if one wanted a basement. :lol:

Part of the reason is soil and the foundation. Depending on which part of the country you're in, you need a foundation that is XX feet deep. The colder climates need a deeper foundation. So if you live in the upper U.S. and you need to have -- for example -- a 6-foot deep foundation, you might as well add another couple feet and get yourself a basement.

So my guess is that in Australia, your homes don't require that deep of a foundation because it never really gets that cold, so no one really bothers with a basement.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    we have a huge basement with three finished rooms and we never use them. but it is nice to know we could :roll:

stop teasing me. :P :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

stop teasing me. :P :lol:

:lol:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    I miss my basement... :cry:

You would have loved it KW... Totally Bat-Cave... Got it in exchange for Jewlry :lol: :P
    GoiMTvP.gif
    kw18 wrote:
    Part of the reason is soil and the foundation. Depending on which part of the country you're in, you need a foundation that is XX feet deep. The colder climates need a deeper foundation. So if you live in the upper U.S. and you need to have -- for example -- a 6-foot deep foundation, you might as well add another couple feet and get yourself a basement.

So my guess is that in Australia, your homes don't require that deep of a foundation because it never really gets that cold, so no one really bothers with a basement.

a 6 foot foundation? good god no... that's not a requirement here for houses. the vast majority(if not all) houses built on level ground here are built on a concrete slab. all that's required is level ground. my home was built at the beginning of the 60s.. it sits on brick piles measuring between 6 & 48 inches cause theres a slight gradient on our plot. the frame is timber and very solidly built.... the wooden floor is awesome but unfortunately its clad in fibrous cement sheeting, which a major health hazard. but so long as its integrity isnt breached all should be fine. some times when im day dreaming I wonder what itd take to raise the house and dig a basement. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

You would have loved it KW... Totally Bat-Cave... Got it in exchange for Jewlry :lol: :P

Jewelry, huh? Maybe that's how I'll be allowed to build the bookcase door hiding the basement steps ... :think:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:

Jewelry, huh? Maybe that's how I'll be allowed to build the bookcase door hiding the basement steps ... :think:

allowed to??? jewelry bribes??? secret doors are awesome.. especially when concealed behind a bookcase.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293

tongue10.gif
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632

:lol:

Luckily our main living room is just about man-cave worthy, and it didn't cost me jewelry either ;)
    kw18 wrote:

:lol: As long as there's minimum destruction to the house and I don't have to stain $500 worth of wood, I'm fine with a secret door... ;)
    But I will accept bribes in the form of seeing pearl jam in Seattle, Europe or Australia. :P