Options

Under the Dome

Comments

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Umm yeah, I think I'm out on this show. That 3rd episode was just plain awful. The only good thing about this show is Dean Norris (Big Jim)
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I was sick this week and missed episode 3. From the comments here it's no great disappointment. I'm done with this one.

BTW I also couldn't figure out why the kid wasn't looking for his sister. Among other plot holes. Like, how does the sister's hair stay so clean down in a fallout shelter? How does she go to the bathroom when she's chained up? Why did she hook up with that weirdo in the first place? Why did the preacher/coroner set fire to the sheriff's documents instead of just putting them through a shredder? Or burning them some place other than a waste basket next to some curtains? Sheesh these people are dumb.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    I was sick this week and missed episode 3. From the comments here it's no great disappointment. I'm done with this one.

BTW I also couldn't figure out why the kid wasn't looking for his sister. Among other plot holes. Like, how does the sister's hair stay so clean down in a fallout shelter? How does she go to the bathroom when she's chained up? Why did she hook up with that weirdo in the first place? Why did the preacher/coroner set fire to the sheriff's documents instead of just putting them through a shredder? Or burning them some place other than a waste basket next to some curtains? Sheesh these people are dumb.

We could talk about plot holes all day! The girl being chained up and going to the bathroom has to be the most obvious one. My biggest beef is why are all these people so calm?!?!? You're stuck in a fucking dome!!!! And why aren't they trying to communicate with anyone outside the dome???

Maybe I've just turned into a TV snob, but I can't watch any dramas that are on network TV anymore. There are such better shows on cable and HBO/Showtime.
  • Options
    All I can say is this... Not ONE single thing that happened in the 3rd episode, actually happened in the book. The whole episode was a complete deviation from the book. I wont point it all out for those of you who have not read it and plan to...

Ive come to the conclusion at this point that this is exactly what SK said. The TV version... and its a whole different story from the book. If I can manage to get past some of the shitty acting and writing, I'll try to see it to the end... to see where the story goes this time.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options

We could talk about plot holes all day! The girl being chained up and going to the bathroom has to be the most obvious one. My biggest beef is why are all these people so calm?!?!? You're stuck in a fucking dome!!!! And why aren't they trying to communicate with anyone outside the dome???

Maybe I've just turned into a TV snob, but I can't watch any dramas that are on network TV anymore. There are such better shows on cable and HBO/Showtime.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who kept wondering how she was supposed to go to the bathroom. :shifty:
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    4th episode was really really awful. Not just by under the dome standards... but its a very bad tv show
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    4th episode was really really awful. Not just by under the dome standards... but its a very bad tv show

Looks like they've steered completely away from the framework of the book by now.
    Another full episode with no relation to the book whatsoever.

Where the hell is Andy Sanders? His wife died in the plane crash in the 1st episode... His daughter Dodee is on the show. They're making it seem like Jim Rennie really is the official head honcho in town, and he and Rev. Coggins are in on the shenanigans* alone (with Duke Perkins being involved??). Im so confused :crazy:

* will not spoil the shenanigans for those who have not read the book ;)
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    Rennie really isnt that evil or delusional like what really made the book great.

The fact that he didnt make junior a cop himself hurts the story.

Juniors character is so bad. That cornbread thing was so cheesy. Again, the junior and his buddies from the book were a major driving force in the story and predicament.

how terribly executed was that plague? Everyone gets sick, 15 minutes later everyone is fine. You never really felt any gravity of the situation. It is all just sloppy.

I dont like, root for, or empathize with any character. Likewise I dont really feel any strong feelings against any antagonists.

It is almost like they went way out of their way in order to include as little from the book as possible. It doesnt make sense. Stephen king is a master. Whoever wrote this is a clown. Badically the only things in common are the name under the dome, the dome itself, the names of the town and characters, and some occupations.

Can the show be cancelled mid season?
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:

It could, but it won't be. From what I have seen, it is doing really well in the ratings. Especially for a summer show.

I started episode 4 and couldn't finish it....so ridiculous. Maybe I'll read the book....
  • Options

I started episode 4 and couldn't finish it....so ridiculous. Maybe I'll read the book....

Highly recommend it. Its a pretty quick read for SK standards.
    Im kind of wishing I hadn't read it prior to watching the show, but at the same time, if I hadn't read the book already, I dont think I'd care to watch the show anymore because I wouldnt have the connection to the story already. Since I have read the book, Im kind of intrigued to see where the show ends up, since its obviously a much different direction than the book, and with what they have changed so far... it will be a very different outcome. I just can't imagine Im going to feel like any part of the show was better than the book tho.

They make the seizures seem soo cheesy on the show. The scene with Norrie and Joe in the hospital was cringe worthy. It took a lot for me to not turn it off at that point.

• Options
    There were a ton of cringe worthy moments last night.

And yeah. The book has a ton of pages but it is a very quick and easy read.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    MayDay10 wrote:

It could, but it won't be. From what I have seen, it is doing really well in the ratings. Especially for a summer show.

I thought it was called a 'miniseries' so it's just a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally long SK based movie. Are there any 'good' SK movies? I can never get through 'The Langoliers', I won't watch 'It'...though I did enjoy 'the Nightmares and Dreamscapes' series.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    They actually said they want to continue it for more seasons.

The shining on tv was decent. I thought they did a great job with the mist. I thought the stand was decent but I would like to see it get a bigger budget on a cable station. The green mile. it I have mixed feelings. It was very popular but imo didnt capture the book all that well. The dark half was ok too. The new carrie looks very very promising
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    They actually said they want to continue it for more seasons.

For what reason? A continuation of the book? The book only spans about a week's time. Do they want to just drag it out longer?

I wouldn't mind a sequel to the book... some closure on what happened... after. But a sequel to the show?

At least there wouldn't be anything to compare it to I guess... Then all we'd have to bitch about is the shitty writing and acting :lol:

• Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Tried getting through the second episode again..yeah didn't happen. This is officially deleted from my DVR and removed from the season pass. Too bad, it had potential and people say the book is great, but this is just a really bad network show.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Better Dan wrote:
    Tried getting through the second episode again..yeah didn't happen. This is officially deleted from my DVR and removed from the season pass. Too bad, it had potential and people say the book is great, but this is just a really bad network show.

I agree...I think we made it through 2 or 3 episodes...but we stopped watching it. My boyfriend & I both read and loved the book, but the show is... :thumbdown:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    Since I've never read the book and I think the show is awful, it's definitely not a case of "the book is sooooo much better than the show."
  • Options
    Since I've never read the book and I think the show is awful, it's definitely not a case of "the book is sooooo much better than the show."

Same here. I think I'm also used to a higher quality writing/acting now since pretty much every show I watch is a non-network show. Hard to go from Game of Thrones / Dexter / Breaking Bad to Under the Dome. :lol: :fp:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I haven't read the book but I'm enjoying the series. Now I want to read the book.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I am now watching the show for the trainwreck aspect. At least it isn't as bad as that Whodunnit show...THAT is terrible!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I am now watching the show for the trainwreck aspect. At least it isn't as bad as that Whodunnit show...THAT is terrible!
    The trainwreck aspect.... I've watched many a show for that reason only :lol:
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Options
    rafie wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    The trainwreck aspect.... I've watched many a show for that reason only :lol:
    I went with that perspective for the latest episode and it was more entertaining altho still not a great watch.

End of the world or no, who would cuddle up with a dude that had kept you chained up in an underground shelter?
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688

I know what you mean. The only exception is "Hannibal'. Very well done.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Rennie really isnt that evil or delusional like what really made the book great.

I've only seen two episodes, but you hit it right on the head with my major problem with it, not that there aren't others. Rennie is a really good bad guy in the book and they are not coming close to it on the show. I think I'm going to bail too. I am just never in the mood to watch it and based on 90% of the comments in this thread things aren't getting better.
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    Feels like this show keeps getting worse every week but I'll probably still watch. Not like there is anything else on during the summer. I hate being one of those annoying people that says "the book is so much better" but in this case it's so true...
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    dougfloyd wrote:
    Feels like this show keeps getting worse every week but I'll probably still watch. Not like there is anything else on during the summer. I hate being one of those annoying people that says "the book is so much better" but in this case it's so true...

My wife and I have finally gotten around to watching The Americans which has been on our DVR for a long time. To say it is better than Under the Dome is a huge understatement.
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    apparently a ton of people are watching it.

I cant see it. I had a few people on my facebook feed express how terrible it is, and how Stephen King has lost it and hasnt put out anything good in years. Im sick of explaining that the book is much better and completely different.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    dougfloyd wrote:

My wife and I have finally gotten around to watching The Americans which has been on our DVR for a long time. To say it is better than Under the Dome is a huge understatement.

Oh yeah!! I thought The Americans was really good
  • Options