Options

Under the Dome

Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
edited September 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I watched the premiere last night and enjoyed it. I haven't read the book, but I thought the pilot was pretty solid. It was interesting to see "Hank" from Breaking Bad in a somewhat sinister role. I plan to keep watching. :corn:
2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    About half way thru the book. Recorded & will watch once I finish... Thought about watching it, but figured I should wait just in case they jump around the storyline.

I picture "Hank" from BB in the role of Jim Rennie. He's gonna kill that role if I'm right.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    My wife's having surgery tomorrow...
    we dvr'd it as well...
    she's going to be bed ridden for bout 10 days...off work for month...
    we both decided last night,...we are going to try and read book first...then watch show...

just so I can ease my mind a little....cause i'm a huge breakbad fan...

what's hank's characters name in under Dome...just so I can have at least one character penned down... ;)

and please don't be bias here....is the book really good???

I've read bout a third of Kings novels....and enjoy most of them...btw...
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    absolutely love the book. We dvr'ed it while out of town.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    it's on the DVR...didn't finish BB, I just couldn't get over Malcom's dad making meth.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    About half way thru the book. Recorded & will watch once I finish... Thought about watching it, but figured I should wait just in case they jump around the storyline.

I picture "Hank" from BB in the role of Jim Rennie. He's gonna kill that role if I'm right.

You are right. He plays Jim Rennie.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:

You are right. He plays Jim Rennie.

Nice!

Book is really good so far... hope the tv series lives up to it. Pretty motivated to finish the book now. Should be done before the next episode airs.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,862
    I caught some of it, looked ok. Never read the book. Although the first time i saw the previews for it I immediately though of the Simpsons movie :lol:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    I loved the book and was stoked about this show. They've already said there are a lot of changes so I'm keeping an open mind. I enjoyed the pilot. Really really liked how they portrayed Junior....dude is totally insane!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    jammergirljammergirl Posts: 598
    my bf is a huge Stephen King fan, so we checked this out...pretty good stuff. it was nice seeing Frank Lapidas from 'lost' get more work..

that Junior fellow reminded me of a cross between Andy Samberg and James Franco...
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    Just finished watching the pilot - I enjoyed it. That Junior guy is :crazy: and :evil: !

I will have to go buy the book to read after the season.
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    lpeddlelpeddle Posts: 293
    Just got a chance to watch the first episode. It was pretty good...already quite different from the book though! I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't watched it so I'll just say...the opening scene in the show....that didn't happen in the book did it??? I only read it last year but I tend to forget things pretty quickly :)
  • Options
    rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    Finished the book yesterday and watched the first 2 episodes today. Totally different from the book. Let's see how it plays along...
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    i like :mrgreen:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    They went completely off the map from the book. I dont like it when stephen king adaptations do that. Jim rennie jr and barbie's characters are already destroyed. Jim rennie sr is too to a point.
    The show also reeks of being hastily put together. Production and acting are very poor for 2013.

Loved the book. Show is pretty meh.
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    A letter from Stephen King regarding why the show differs from his novel:

http://www.stephenking.com/promo/utd_on_tv/letter.html

For those of you out there in Constant Reader Land who are feeling miffed because the TV version of Under the Dome varies considerably from the book version, here’s a little story.

Near the end of his life, and long after his greatest novels were written, James M. Cain agreed to be interviewed by a student reporter who covered culture and the arts for his college newspaper. This young man began his time with Cain by bemoaning how Hollywood had changed books such as The Postman Always Rings Twice and Double Indemnity. Before he could properly get into his rant, the old man interrupted him by pointing to a shelf of books behind his desk. “The movies didn’t change them a bit, son,” he said. “They’re all right up there. Every word is the same as when I wrote them.”

I feel the same way about Under the Dome. If you loved the book when you first read it, it’s still there for your perusal. But that doesn’t mean the TV series is bad, because it’s not. In fact, it’s very good. And, if you look closely, you’ll see that most of my characters are still there, although some have been combined and others have changed jobs. That’s also true of the big stuff, like the supermarket riot, the reason for all that propane storage, and the book’s thematic concerns with diminishing resources.

Many of the changes wrought by Brian K. Vaughan and his team of writers have been of necessity, and I approved of them wholeheartedly. Some have been occasioned by their plan to keep the Dome in place over Chester’s Mill for months instead of little more than a week, as is the case in the book. Other story modifications are slotting into place because the writers have completely re-imagined the source of the Dome.

That such a re-imagining had to take place was my only serious concern when the series was still in the planning stages, and that concern was purely practical. If the solution to the mystery were the same on TV as in the book, everyone would know it in short order, which would spoil a lot of the fun (besides, plenty of readers didn’t like my solution, anyway). By the same token, it would spoil things if you guys knew the arcs of the characters in advance. Some who die in the book—Angie, for instance—live in the TV version of Chester’s Mill…at least for a while. And some who live in the book may not be as lucky during the run of the show. Just sayin’.

Listen, I’ve always been a situational writer. My idea of what to do with a plot is to shoot it before it can breed. It’s true that when I start a story, I usually have a general idea of where it’s going to finish up, but in many cases I end up in a different place entirely (for instance, I fully expected Ben Mears to die at the end of ’Salem’s Lot, and Susannah Dean was supposed to pop off at the end of Song of Susannah). “The book is the boss,” Alfred Bester used to say, and what that means to me is the situation is the boss. If you play fair with the characters—and let them play their parts according to their strengths and weaknesses—you can never go wrong. It’s impossible.

There’s only one element of my novel that absolutely had to be the same in the novel and the show, and that’s the Dome itself. It’s best to think of that novel and what you’re seeing week-to-week on CBS as a case of fraternal twins. Both started in the same creative womb, but you will be able to tell them apart. Or, if you’re of a sci-fi bent, think of them as alternate versions of the same reality.

As for me, I’m enjoying the chance to watch that alternate reality play out; I still think there’s no place like Dome.

As for you, Constant Reader, feel free to take the original down from your bookshelf anytime you want. Nothing between the covers has changed a bit.

Stephen King
    June 27th, 2013
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    jammergirl wrote:
    that Junior fellow reminded me of a cross between Andy Samberg and James Franco...

Perfect description of Junior!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    curly wrote:
    My wife's having surgery tomorrow...
    we dvr'd it as well...
    she's going to be bed ridden for bout 10 days...off work for month...
    we both decided last night,...we are going to try and read book first...then watch show...

just so I can ease my mind a little....cause i'm a huge breakbad fan...

what's hank's characters name in under Dome...just so I can have at least one character penned down... ;)

and please don't be bias here....is the book really good???

I've read bout a third of Kings novels....and enjoy most of them...btw...

I enjoyed the heck out of the book until the end. I didn't like the explanation for the Dome in the book. I am a huge King fan.

I enjoyed the pilot, but thought the second episode was lacking.
  • Options
    I dont need a carbon copy of the book... it is just that some of the most important things that made the book so enjoyable have already been changed or glossed over... and it was unnecessary. I think jim rennie srs character is much better served driving an h3 around and a cting like the small town big shot. Junior was bettet as well just being a bigshots bigshot asshole son, who was given power to abuse that ended up bringing out some sociopathic behavior. Barbie as some sort of cheesy hitman is eye rollingly bad.
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I dont need a carbon copy of the book... it is just that some of the most important things that made the book so enjoyable have already been changed or glossed over... and it was unnecessary. I think jim rennie srs character is much better served driving an h3 around and a cting like the small town big shot. Junior was bettet as well just being a bigshots bigshot asshole son, who was given power to abuse that ended up bringing out some sociopathic behavior. Barbie as some sort of cheesy hitman is eye rollingly bad.

Well said. I don't mind if they change things, but don't make it a shell of what was good about the book, i.e the characters.
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Haven't read the book and don't plan to. Thought the pilot was all right but after watching the 2nd episode I'm having a hard time caring about what happens to these people. I'll probably give it one or two more watches and see how it goes.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,738
    Haven't read the book and don't plan to. Thought the pilot was all right but after watching the 2nd episode I'm having a hard time caring about what happens to these people. I'll probably give it one or two more watches and see how it goes.

Same here. I liked the pilot, but the 2nd episode wasn't very good. I'll give it a couple more.
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    I just happened to stat watching this randomly as I usually don't catch a lot of t.v. I'll probably keep watching for a while. wasn't aware of the book.
  • Options
    How was last night's episode? I've still only seen the pilot so far.
  • Options

Same here. I liked the pilot, but the 2nd episode wasn't very good. I'll give it a couple more.

me too...I just got really really bored with the second episode.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,738
    RKCNDY wrote:

me too...I just got really really bored with the second episode.

Yeah, same here. Haven't watched last night's episode, but I've seen a lot of negative reaction out there today.
  • Options
    jammergirljammergirl Posts: 598
    last night's episode was...not good. definitely the weakest writing of all the episodes with the spottiest acting. from Junior still doing his 'Andy Samberg from a Lonely Island video gone horribly awry' impression to the lady from a shampoo commercial badgering everyone under the guise of being a 'journalist' it was just...tedious.

but the real kicker was the nails-on a chalkboard dialogue and acting of the teenagers...I don't know how old the writers are, but they clearly googled a 'how teenagers talk' memo and cribbed from that. worst moments: everything stoner kid with a beanie said, and goth girl's line reading of "I like nerds". bleh, I'm done.

oh, and why hasn't spazzy kid with the generator noticed his sister is missing yet??!!

clearly I'm thinking way too much about a mediocre show and maybe should take a walk or something... :?
  • Options
    go read the book.
    i get what SK is saying... but why move so far away from the framework of the book? why?
    it doesnt seem to me like its making the story any better than it already was.

• Options
    Thats my frustration. Unnecessary changes that are not providing any enhancement for the story on tv. Why not keep the story close and add peripheral things and characters.
    Its just the dome and the used all the character names and just wrote their own story. Stephen king and his storytelling is the master attraction here.

Hopefully someone gets another shot at this someday.
  • Options
    jammergirl wrote:
    last night's episode was...not good. definitely the weakest writing of all the episodes with the spottiest acting. from Junior still doing his 'Andy Samberg from a Lonely Island video gone horribly awry' impression to the lady from a shampoo commercial badgering everyone under the guise of being a 'journalist' it was just...tedious.

but the real kicker was the nails-on a chalkboard dialogue and acting of the teenagers...I don't know how old the writers are, but they clearly googled a 'how teenagers talk' memo and cribbed from that. worst moments: everything stoner kid with a beanie said, and goth girl's line reading of "I like nerds". bleh, I'm done.

oh, and why hasn't spazzy kid with the generator noticed his sister is missing yet??!!

clearly I'm thinking way too much about a mediocre show and maybe should take a walk or something... :?

I couldn't make it through my recording of the second episode. With reviews for the third not good, I'm probably done with the show. :thumbdown: Too bad, I really thought it had potential from the pilot.
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:
    jammergirl wrote:

I couldn't make it through my recording of the second episode. With reviews for the third not good, I'm probably done with the show. :thumbdown: Too bad, I really thought it had potential from the pilot.

:lol: I couldn't make it through the third show...I fell asleep and it's still on the DVR. Mr. RK keeps bugging me to watch the rest of it...I don't wanna! :(

- Christopher McCandless