RIP James Gandolfini aka Tony Soprano

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Caveeze wrote:
    Its hard to just sit there and watch shows.. in anyones defense

Yeah, but we're talking about Newch here. He has super-viewing skills. ;)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

There must be pot involved.. maybe some ice cream too ;)
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Caveeze wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

There must be pot involved.. maybe some ice cream too ;)
    No on the pot, but yes on the ice cream and chips and popcorn and beer and iced tea. DC knows about my super-viewing skills. ;)
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    RIP :(

such a great actor....
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,776
    Still can't fuckin believe it
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    Damn, that's so so sad. Newlywed, kid, so young, and so sudden. :( i feel so bad for his family. :cry:

Makes you think too. Sometimes people are just so young when they drop dead. He was only 51... My bro-in-law's business partner just keeled over and died when he was 42! And didn't even seem unhealthy. It's getting scary to be approaching just 40! Fuck! :fp:

RIP JG.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Newch91 wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    You think I don't know that? That show is on the top spot on my list of shows to watch.
    I can sit and watch for hours. I watched the entire fourth of season of "Lost" in one day.
    I might have you beat with Dexter.

Sometimes just sitting there and watching feels so fucking good.
  • KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    He was one of my favorites. What a shame, very sad.
    Life is fleeting, make it count.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
    hedonist wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:
    I can sit and watch for hours. I watched the entire fourth of season of "Lost" in one day.

I could easily sit and watch a whole season of breaking bad, dexter, or mad men in a day. Sopranos I guess was the same - I know in watched a number of episodes in short order a long time ago and loved it... But then I got sidetracked, and never did see the whole series. I saw the final episode though. I was one of the people who thought the very ending was perfect.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    yeah, I haven't never seen an ep of Sopranos either. But I always planned to. Maybe this winter.

It is an absolutely brilliant and moving series..

RIP to a legend.

I think he played his part so well that more than any actor in history I look at him and think Tony Soprano rather than James Gandolfini. Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister in Game Of Thrones is right there too but Tony was the protagonist of that series, whereas Thrones doesn't technically have a main character.

The man was brilliant. Sad he went so young. Whoever has not watched Sopranos in its entirety I STRONGLY recommend you do so, and you will truly see what a talent was lost today.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • otterotter Posts: 760
    Perpetuated a racist stereotype of Italians. "Money can't buy you life" Marley

Rest in Peace
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    just found about this...i'm really shocked
  • MangoMango Posts: 1,049
    I own the box set and have watched it twice. Just looking at some You Tube clips makes me wanna settle into it all over again. IMO its in a league of its own above The Wire, Breaking Bad etc.
    "Life comes from within your heart and desire"
  • supersonicyearssupersonicyears Posts: 2,619
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQhvoLNEqVI

I can't believe this. So sad. Rest in peace :(
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • -Emma--Emma- Posts: 2,864
    Such tragic news... :(

How terrible for his family too, leaving behind a young son and a 9 month old daughter :( .

BNMElPiCIAAQrBF.jpg
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    :(
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • boyo79boyo79 Posts: 6,525
    Mango wrote:
    Very sad news but unfortunately all you have to do is look at the size of the man and... well it was in the post. A great actor who will be sadly missed.

Unfortunately this is so true. You see the size of him in season 1 and then see how big he is in the final season. He put so much weight on during Sopranos. I actually thought he was older, completely surprised he was only 51. So sad.

RIP James Gandolfini.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    otter wrote:

Wow. Incredibly inappropriate and not even close to accurate. Don't be disrespectful. :evil: :nono:
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    super talent
    and wayyyyy too young to die.
    such a shame he has 2 young children .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    apparently his teenage son was with him and found him. very sad. RIP James
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    hedonist wrote:

I could easily sit and watch a whole season of breaking bad, dexter, or mad men in a day. Sopranos I guess was the same - I know in watched a number of episodes in short order a long time ago and loved it... But then I got sidetracked, and never did see the whole series. I saw the final episode though. I was one of the people who thought the very ending was perfect.
    I also loved the ending.

Six Feet Under's another series I could inhale in short order. HBO has put out some great shit.

It'll be worth your while to catch the episodes you've missed.

(and seeing that large photo of JG on page 4, with his birth and death years...made me tear up a bit)
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    Jessica Winter has summed up the man, the actor and the show absolutely beautifully here:
    http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/cult ... y_and.html

As I read through the pages of people of who have never seen the show - my immediate thought isn't "How the heck could you have NOT watched Sopranos?"...no, I wish I had those 86 hours to experience for the first time again, and my thought is "how incredibly lucky you are to have that experience lying in front of you".

Seeing all of the tributes, "tweeter feeds", and remarks from those who knew Jimmy and didn't, paints an unbelievably clear picture of how this world lost a really good man too soon. His friends adored him, fellow actors respected him and loved his work, and idiots like me who never met or knew Mr. Gandolfini feel a loss and saddness that is so hard to even explain. Ridiculous sounding, I know, but true nonetheless. People die daily, but for some reason, my favorite TV character's real life death has moved me unlike any recent death I can remember.
    "Long Road" indeed...
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    otter wrote:

Wow. Incredibly inappropriate and not even close to accurate. Don't be disrespectful. :evil: :nono:

Thats what I was thinking...and, I could be wrong, but isnt Italian a nationality and not a race? :?
    Caveeze wrote:
    True Romance baby!! Best movie of all time.. I remember when Sopranos came out and I was like "that is the dude that got dealt with by Alabama!!"

Sad loss, as most all are.. 51 is just way to young. RIP sir, hearts are aching all over for you tonight..

I agree Caeeze. I love True Romance. I recall seeing him in that the first time thinking he was larger than life. Then he embodied Tony Soprano, making a bad guy likable. RIP Mr.Gandolfini
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    otter wrote:
    Perpetuated a racist stereotype of Italians.

Oh poor baby. What do you want, a Whitmans sampler?
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    People who are stunned by this should go get a check up... you never know ... happened to me and I still can't believe it... especially that I lived.

Had the pleasure of meeting him once... Nothing like Tony, quiet and low key. RIP sir.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,776
    People who are stunned by this should go get a check up... you never know ... happened to me and I still can't believe it... especially that I lived.

Had the pleasure of meeting him once... Nothing like Tony, quiet and low key. RIP sir.

Its true...we all think celebs are different. Better doctors, but Life happens to us all
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,222

I met the guy who played Vito once at a Rangers game. Good tribute here as well:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watchi ... ny-soprano
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    CROJAM95 wrote:

Its true...we all think celebs are different. Better doctors, but Life happens to us all
    It's not that he was a celeb. It's that he's 51.... Luckily, it's not actually all that common for people to drop dead like that at that age this day and age. I know it happens of course, but whenever I hear of it happening to someone before they're in their 60s, I'm a little bit surprised..... It's a pretty good way to go though, for the dead person. Quick and no suffering. Very traumatic for the family, but maybe not as traumatic as watching your family member rot away in pain for weeks, months, or years, like most people do. :|
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    being part italian in my heritage I can proudly say, watching the Sopranos made me proud to be Italian. Family, food, togetherness. The language-gabbagool, mozarel.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,712
    Thought this was a great tribute

http://www.vulture.com/2013/06/james-ga ... seitz.html

Edit: The woman hasn't seen The Sopranos in its entirety, looks like that is next on tap.