Options

NBA's Jason Collins comes out as gay

Comments

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,567
    I%27m+not+gay+but+20+bucks+is+20+bucks+dr+heckle+funny+shirts.png

Quick side note: Booo on the avatar change ;)

I was asked nicely by the powers to be, what are ya gona do, it was fun while it lasted. :mrgreen:

Why take it down?
    You can walk down just about any street in any town, city, college campus, high school, even middle schools and see plenty of girls sporting much more cleavage than that

what was the problem?
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Quick side note: Booo on the avatar change ;)

I was asked nicely by the powers to be, what are ya gona do, it was fun while it lasted. :mrgreen:[/quote]

Why take it down?
    You can walk down just about any street in any town, city, college campus, high school, even middle schools and see plenty of girls sporting much more cleavage than that

what was the problem?[/quote]

Well they said it was distracting and tends to derails threads, like so :lol:
  • Options
    Pjzepp67Pjzepp67 Posts: 445
    81 wrote:
    who the fuck cares. really.

when did america become so fasicinated with jovial people.

yay...he's gay....good for him. go celebrate with a big.......

Cheers 81...thanx for the constant supply of humour... :lol:
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    who the fuck cares. really.

when did america become so fasicinated with jovial people.

yay...he's gay....good for him. go celebrate with a big.......

Says a straight guy

How about millions of people, young especially, who are struggling with who they are and feel like they have no one to look up to or follow. The same people that look to YouTube videos to talk themselves out of committing suicide because society tells them they are different. Perhaps one of these kids would have rethought their decision by having someone to look up to who came out of the closet in the most masculine career possible and did it successfully with the support of many peers (TBD).

https://www.google.com/search?q=gay+tee ... ss&ie=&oe=

They probably would have cared

I care that its an important step, it's an important step for him to make in that they are many 14, 15, 16 year olds that are afraid to step forward and some choose to end their lives just to get some peace. I know I have a 16 year step teen who faces this dilemma but chooses at this time to live as most other boys do. He hangs out with girls and has barely any male friends, the girls are so comfortable with him. So for now he lives his life in secret and JC's step forward will help many others who have to live their lives in secret.

There was a time where interracial relationships was forbidden and even illegal in some states. It took probably some star celebrity to break this ridiculous culture we once had. Now today many don't bat an eye in seeing a interracial couple and I hope one day the same will come to people who are gay.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Obama Calls Jason Collins, 'Impressed By His Courage' In Coming Out

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/2 ... 81170.html

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,941
    Will be rooting for both the Rockets and Nets with the hope that Thunder and Bulls' fans will be both pissed off and drunk enough to whoop some Westboro ass in the streets.

https://twitter.com/WBCFliers/status/32 ... 00/photo/1

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/04/30 ... a-p/193840

Fox News Downplays, Mocks First Openly Gay NBA Player Jason Collins
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Three days later and no one gives a crap anymore. That's a good sign, right?
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Jason P wrote:
    Three days later and no one gives a crap anymore. That's a good sign, right?

Why does anyone give a crap anyway? Why does someone have to 'come out'? Why does it make headline news?
    It's no-one's business, really.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I feel the same ...

and I did see it reported on Fox News the same as the Today show
    It wasn't a big deal really on either.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    pandora wrote:
    I feel the same ...

It may not be a big deal to you however it's a big deal to those who have to live a life in secrecy especially if they play professional sports. Not to mention all the various young teens who also have to live this life of secrecy.

Also would you feel the same that its not a big deal if close family member of yours were gay?

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on

• Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    It's a big deal. And it's a big deal that a major news network mocks him.
  • Options
    g under p wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    I feel the same ...

It may not be a big deal to you however it's a big deal to those who have to live a life in secrecy especially if they play professional sports. Not to mention all the various young teens who also have to live this life of secrecy.

Peace
    More honesty leads to more honesty leads to more acceptance and equal rights.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    I feel the same ...

Peace

Please Elaborate on whatever this coded message is saying.

Peace

• Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    g under p wrote:

Also would you feel the same that its not a big deal if close family member of yours were gay?

Peace

But it shouldn't be... that's what irks me. We shouldn't be bothered about whether someone is gay, straight or bi. We shouldn't have to 'explain'/define ourselves to others ('Hi! My name is XX and I'm gay...' - or not). I know.. it's not how society works at the moment....
  • Options
    g under p wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

Please Elaborate on whatever this coded message is saying.

Peace
    Really? your comic side has emerged lately, it's explanatory.
    But I do agree with you to a point that of course individually it is a very big deal
    on a personal level. I was glad it was not made a super big deal in the news or that he
    got any guff for it. Sounds like support was all around as it should be
    and that encourages more to do the same.
    I was just feeling because it's personal it's really no one's business and am looking forward
    to that day when it's not.
  • Options
    An article on JC on what the reaction might be in the locker room if he plays next year.

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/jaso ... d=16638642

Peace

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I look forward to the day when people who do not have to disclose their sexual orientation ... afterall its nobodies business.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

But it shouldn't be... that's what irks me. We shouldn't be bothered about whether someone is gay, straight or bi. We shouldn't have to 'explain'/define ourselves to others ('Hi! My name is XX and I'm gay...' - or not). I know.. it's not how society works at the moment....

And that is why his coming out is a big deal.

Most of Jason Collins' playing days are behind him. He may actually get another job largely because he has come out. A much bigger deal will be when a star in his prime comes out, or a college prospect comes out prior to a draft. Then we will see just how accepting the sports culture is of this.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    JimmyV wrote:
    redrock wrote:

And that is why his coming out is a big deal.

Most of Jason Collins' playing days are behind him. He may actually get another job largely because he has come out. A much bigger deal will be when a star in his prime comes out, or a college prospect comes out prior to a draft. Then we will see just how accepting the sports culture is of this.
    My feelings about this are in both camps - one side, I can see how others living a life of secrecy may be inspired to be comfortable in being, living as, who they are...other side, most people worth their salt won't and don't give a shit. It has no more bearing than being vegan, or Jewish, or into something like the being-treated-as-a-baby fetish. Etc...

JimmyV, I hope he (no one, anyone) gets a job mainly due to being gay. That's as bad as denying someone a job for that same reason. It should play no part.
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:

JimmyV, I hope he (no one, anyone) gets a job mainly due to being gay. That's as bad as denying someone a job for that same reason. It should play no part.

I don't disagree and we'll likely never know how much of an impact it does play, if any. But today I would say there is a 100% chance Jason Collins has an NBA roster spot when next season begins. A week ago I would have said no better than 50%. He is just in that age bracket when the opportunities start drying up for middle of the pack veterans.

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,645
    The guy is garbage as a player but now he's definitely getting another NBA deal. Some owner wants to be the groundbreaking owner who hired the first openly gay player. It's a good PR move for teams.

Hopefully after this though stars won't have to announce it and we won't have to act like we care and blow it up. Honestly it's no one's business and it shouldn't be news after this. Be comfortable and live your life. Let others live their lives and everyone wins.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,774
    g under p wrote:
    An article on JC on what the reaction might be in the locker room if he plays next year.

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/jaso ... d=16638642

Peace

Just hilarious. Thanks.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    I can't believe for one second that nobody in the league knows that other players are gay. Throw in the TMZs of the world and I am really shocked that nobody has ever been seen with their partner. No matter what sport it is. And really who cares if somebody is gay or not.

"Shheeeeeet, maaan, I know that J was odd the way he checked out my package in the shower after the games."

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
    I can't believe for one second that nobody in the league knows that other players are gay. Throw in the TMZs of the world and I am really shocked that nobody has ever been seen with their partner. No matter what sport it is. And really who cares if somebody is gay or not.

"Shheeeeeet, maaan, I know that J was odd the way he checked out my package in the shower after the games."

Okay so how does that work?.... When it was opposites attract (man. women) someone thought it a good idea to separated bathrooms, locker rooms etc. For the sake of modesty. I believe another reason was people used to think of there body as being there own.
    Will other athletes feel okay with being uncomfortable dressing and if they are will they be condemned and treated like some bigot? Will they be allowed to feel how they feel?
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    aerial wrote:

Okay so how does that work?.... When it was opposites attract (man. women) someone thought it a good idea to separated bathrooms, locker rooms etc. For the sake of modesty. I believe another reason was people used to think of there body as being there own.
    Will other athletes feel okay with being uncomfortable dressing and if they are will they be condemned and treated like some bigot? Will they be allowed to feel how they feel?

It should work the same as before he came out. Someone can feel how they feel privately. But as in most workplaces, being an open bigot is a good way to get fired. It won't be tolerated by the NBA or the team he signs with.
  • Options
    aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
    aerial wrote:

It should work the same as before he came out. Someone can feel how they feel privately. But as in most workplaces, being an open bigot is a good way to get fired. It won't be tolerated by the NBA or the team he signs with.

I think you answered my question ...So he is a bigot if he or she is not comfortable undressing in front of another person that could find them sexually attractive.....I see.
    So all this time we had men separate from females when undressing (something most do in private) was a bigoted move also?
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MoonpigMoonpig Posts: 659
    aerial wrote:

I think you answered my question ...So he is a bigot if he or she is not comfortable undressing in front of another person that could find them sexually attractive.....I see.
    So all this time we had men separate from females when undressing (something most do in private) was a bigoted move also?

:roll: yep, you nailed it, that's exactly the can of worms that this Collins fella is after opening.
  • Options
    MoonpigMoonpig Posts: 659
    cp3iverson wrote:
    The guy is garbage as a player but now he's definitely getting another NBA deal. Some owner wants to be the groundbreaking owner who hired the first openly gay player. It's a good PR move for teams.

Hopefully after this though stars won't have to announce it and we won't have to act like we care and blow it up. Honestly it's no one's business and it shouldn't be news after this. Be comfortable and live your life. Let others live their lives and everyone wins.

Can you elaborate please - I find it hard to believe he is garbage as a player if he plays in the NBA. Would you class yourself as a better player?

So if he was a better player would it be less of a PR move. I'm sorry but your comment made absolutely no sense, I don't know why or how his athletic skills are relevant.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    if he does not gets singed with a new team will he pull the bigot card ? (nobody signed me because I'm gay)
    usally when a celeb "comes out of the closset" it marks the end of their career or at least a rocky road ahead,look at what happened with Ellan Degenrous ,she was in the news defending her self for quite a while before she landed her own talk show so I can only imagine what this basketball player is going to have to deal with sense most sports fans you see or hear about are "straight" hedro people.

Godfather.