Options

NBA's Jason Collins comes out as gay

mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
edited May 2013 in A Moving Train
NBA veteran Jason Collins became the first active male player in the four major American professional sports to come out as gay.

The 34-year-old center, who has played for six teams in 12 seasons, wrote a first-person account that was posted on Sports Illustrated's website Monday. Collins finished the season with the Washington Wizards and is now a free agent. He says he wants to keep playing.

''If I had my way, someone else would have already done this,'' he writes. ''Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand.''

Collins played in a Final Four for Stanford and reached two NBA Finals. His twin brother, Jarron, was also a longtime NBA center. Collins says he told his brother he was gay last summer.

''Jason has been a widely respected player and teammate throughout his career and we are proud he has assumed the leadership mantle on this very important issue,'' NBA commissioner David Stern said in a statement.

Among those offering support on social media was former first daughter Chelsea Clinton, a friend from Stanford. She tweeted: ''Very proud of my friend Jason Collins for having the strength & courage to be the first openly gay player in the NBA.''

Collins was also college roommates with another member of an American political dynasty: Rep. Joe Kennedy III, D-Mass. In his account, Collins wrote that he realized he needed to go public when the congressman walked in Boston's gay pride parade last year - and Collins couldn't join him.

Kennedy tweeted Monday that ''I've always been proud to call (Collins) a friend, and I'm even prouder to stand with him today.''

Mostly a backup in his career, Collins has averaged 3.6 points and 3.8 rebounds for the Nets, Grizzlies, Timberwolves, Hawks, Celtics and Wizards. He was traded from Boston to Washington in February. Collins was the 18th pick in the first round of the 2001 NBA draft.

Several male athletes have previously come out after they retired, including the NBA's John Amaechi, the NFL's Esera Tuaolo and Major League Baseball's Billy Bean. But Collins is the first to do so while planning to keep playing.

Advocacy organization GLAAD released a statement from Aaron McQuade, who head of its sports program.

''`Courage' and `inspiration' are words that get thrown around a lot in sports, but Jason Collins has given both ideas a brand new context,'' he said. ''We hope that his future team will welcome him, and that fans of the NBA and sports in general will applaud him. We know that the NBA will proudly support him, and that countless young LGBT Athletes now have a new hero.''

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/jaso ... gay-042913
fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    be interesting to see the response from other players ...
  • Options
    Pjzepp67Pjzepp67 Posts: 445
    I hope he has some big broad shoulders on him...gonna need them...good luck to him and all that follow.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Tough to judge the NBA's response because he might not get signed anyway.

34 year old free agents that average 1 point per game are not in high demand.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    His twin brother shocked to hear his brother tell him he was gay last year. Both play in the NBA and the brother said, 'so much for twin telepathy".

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,162
    good for him.

he is a pioneer. he will be remembered not so much for his career, but because he was brave enough to come out while still an active player.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    who the fuck cares. really.

when did america become so fasicinated with jovial people.

yay...he's gay....good for him. go celebrate with a big.......
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Glad he did it.

Sorry about your dog, Gimme, he's beautiful!
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited October 2023
    Kobe tweeted support for him. 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    81 wrote:

Says a straight guy

How about millions of people, young especially, who are struggling with who they are and feel like they have no one to look up to or follow. The same people that look to YouTube videos to talk themselves out of committing suicide because society tells them they are different. Perhaps one of these kids would have rethought their decision by having someone to look up to who came out of the closet in the most masculine career possible and did it successfully with the support of many peers (TBD).

https://www.google.com/search?q=gay+tee ... ss&ie=&oe=

They probably would have cared
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Says a straight guy

How about millions of people, young especially, who are struggling with who they are and feel like they have no one to look up to or follow. The same people that look to YouTube videos to talk themselves out of committing suicide because society tells them they are different. Perhaps one of these kids would have rethought their decision by having someone to look up to who comes out of the closet in the most masculine career possible and does it successfully with the support of many peers.

fair enough. but he's not the first nba player to come out....hell, he's not even under contract any more. so if he doesn't get signed, will he still be the first active player? i dunno...carry on.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    81 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Says a straight guy

How about millions of people, young especially, who are struggling with who they are and feel like they have no one to look up to or follow. The same people that look to YouTube videos to talk themselves out of committing suicide because society tells them they are different. Perhaps one of these kids would have rethought their decision by having someone to look up to who comes out of the closet in the most masculine career possible and does it successfully with the support of many peers.

fair enough. but he's not the first nba player to come out....hell, he's not even under contract any more. so if he doesn't get signed, will he still be the first active player? i dunno...carry on.

Who knows...we'll see. More will follow though, I would imagine. He said he didn't even come out to his family until last year, so it happened pretty quickly. Thought about doing it earlier in the year but decided against it to avoid distractions for the team.
  • Options
    Pjzepp67Pjzepp67 Posts: 445
    edited April 2013
    good for him.

he is a pioneer. he will be remembered not so much for his career, but because he was brave enough to come out while still an active player.

I was just admiring your picture at the base of your post when the terrible truth dawned on me...please believe me when I say I am so sorry for the loss of Nash, a bitter blow after such a long time together. I'm afraid I know how you feel as we have just lost our Basset after 14 years...so sorry.
    Post edited by Pjzepp67 on
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    A few thoughts..

1) I give him credit for coming out. Always takes balls to be the first.

2) This won't be that big a deal in a few days. Am curious to see what happens when a superstar comes out.

3) He is 34, a free agent, and a journeyman. It was probably 50/50 he was going to get another chance to play in the NBA. I bet this helps his cause rather than hinders it.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I think this is a great step. what we need to see if the big 4 pro leagues coming out and also supporting gay rights and gay players. I know that the NHL has a PSA out there, are there any other leagues doing that?
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I%27m+not+gay+but+20+bucks+is+20+bucks+dr+heckle+funny+shirts.png
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    81 wrote:

i agree with the 'who the fuck cares' in the sense that who the fuck care that a professional athlete came out? kudos to him and any gay person for coming out, but society puts professional athletes on such a ridiculous pedestal. most overrated, overhyped, overpaid profession in the world. it's a shame that the sports culture prevents many from coming out.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    81 wrote:

I bet alot more people care versus your who the fuck cares stance ....And i believe he is the 1st active player to come out ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    81 wrote:

A little harsh, no?

Homophobic?
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    ed243421 wrote:
    81 wrote:

A little harsh, no?

Homophobic?

it is both a commentary on how far we've come and how far we've not gone ...
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    ed243421 wrote:
    81 wrote:

A little harsh, no?

Homophobic?

I didn't take what 81 said as harsh. There are so many people coming out, that ok, now an NBA player is doing it too. It really is no big deal, it's becoming quite common.
  • Options
    I took the jovial comment to mean he was joking.

• Options
    aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
    I heard a caller call in to the radio show asking this question....If he does not get signed will it be blamed on the fact that he is gay?
    Say a gay athlete takes a hard hit (football, basketball ...) will people claim it was a hate hit?
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    ed243421 wrote:
    81 wrote:

A little harsh, no?

Homophobic?

it is both a commentary on how far we've come and how far we've not gone ...

He also has a big man crush on KW18 which he's tries to keep buried but rears it's ugly head from time to time. :shh:
  • Options
    aerial wrote:
    I heard a caller call in to the radio show asking this question....If he does not get signed will it be blamed on the fact that he is gay?
    Say a gay athlete takes a hard hit (football, basketball ...) will people claim it was a hate hit?

There will be those who will try to blame it on that, yes. I don't think they'll have much of a case this time though.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    So we got the NBA and WNBA knocked out in just under a week. Now we just need a hockey, baseball, and football player to come out and satisfy the media's thirst which has become quite palpable in the last month or so.

:corn:
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329

Quick side note: Booo on the avatar change ;)
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options

I was asked nicely by the powers to be, what are ya gona do, it was fun while it lasted. :mrgreen:
  • Options

I was asked nicely by the powers to be, what are ya gona do, it was fun while it lasted. :mrgreen:

Wait am i missing something here , i still see the mamasan boobs photo ?
  • Options

So do while at work, but at home it's changed, in time it will for you too :(
  • Options

So do while at work, but at home it's changed, in time it will for you too :(

That sucks those look great i was alomost willing to go to Wrigley to see them for myself ..