Options

Camden...shithole, Shithole, Shithole

2»

Comments

• Options
    pearljamdude420pearljamdude420 Posts: 1,380
    i saw pj in camden both times in 03. i like that venue alot its a nice outdoor venue, the only thing that is wrong with the venue is the bathroom is ridiculousely small and crowded, and people werep issing in the sinks. besides the bathroom problem though everything else in this venue is good. i had good ten club seats too especialy for night 1 in 03.

as for the crowds in camden night 1 was pretty good in 03 except for a few drunks yelling, and night 2 crowd seemed more quiet but the set is still good, they always play amazing sets in camden.

as for the cops being around everywhere, this is not true, i saw people inform a cop in 03 that a juvenile kid was smashing windows out of cars in the parking lot, and it took the cops 30 mins to arrest the kid. i was picking up 10c tickets and after i left to go back to the lot i hear these 2 people telling the cop about a kid breaking car windows, and the cop said he is on his lunch break. i am not joking they did catch the kid but fuck the cops are scared to do anything in this town cause of all the crime.

really pj should play philly instead, there is some outdoor venue in philly anyway instead there that is outside, where oasis played near the water somewhere on philly side? but its probaly not an amp, but pj could sell out philies stadium
  • Options
    I'm from DE and after trying to get out last night, I decided I'd rather park in center city philly and take patco in than attempt to get out of camden by car again. There are 2 entrances to the Ben Franklin, and 4 to 676. They block off 3 of the 676 entrances. The one entrance that's open does to to the bridge but there are no signs or people guiding you how to get there. They just send you in circles around Camden. It's ridiculous. I actually asked the cops about that today. They said it was to control the traffic flow. Whatever. A simple "TO 676 ben franklin" series of signs would be helpful. I'm convinced they all do it just to make it take longer to get out so they get an extra 1-2 hours of overtime. And Camden is a shi+hole. The venue isn't even that good. But I'll cede the point that the sound is good compared to other ampitheaters (Holmdel is the worst!) along the east coast.
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    JWBusher wrote:
    Camden is a total shithole and Philly crowds suck in general. That's why I'm going to East Rutherford. I will never go to Camden to see a show, even though it's closer.
    PHILLY CROWDS SUCK? YOUR NUTS. YOUR PROBABLY A DUMB NEW YORKER OR JERSEY MORON WHO WISHES HE WAS FROM PHILLY
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    JWBusher wrote:
    Camden is a total shithole and Philly crowds suck in general. That's why I'm going to East Rutherford. I will never go to Camden to see a show, even though it's closer.

Umm, huh?

You should take a listen to the Spectrum '03 show (one of the best, if not the best, indoor crowd EVER) and the Wach Center '05 show before you say Philly crowds suck.
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • Options
    ClaySmockClaySmock Posts: 18
    Yeah, the first night I felt sick, i couldn't believe these people were associated with pearl jam other than the way they portrayed every thing pearl jam denounce; in the first parking lot I really saw 'life wasted'. Just drunk fuck ups playing beer pong and throwing their garbage all over the place. Then during the concert when eddie was talking about the 'innocence' project, people were yelling ,"we don't care, play jeremy!!" it made me so sick. I just couldn't believe it. I am a die hard pearl jam fan and always will be. But I always feel a connection with the band and it's message, But concerts like this dilute my feelings and what pearl jam can promote. I wish eddie would have witnessed the fucking waste and 'world wide suicide' going on before the show. i wish they could have just been an underground band with out all the fuck up fans with confederate flag t-shirts and wife beaters begging for the ten songs. I felt like i didn't belong there, among all the nastiest SUV driving, ignorant Frat brothers... Night Two, I was about to sell my tickets, but at least this night they played some songs that the "frats" couldn't sings along with... 2nd night way better than the first. I just wish the people that don't realize what pearl jam was really about would stop ignorantly representing a pearl jam concert, and at least clean up after them selves... Anyone know venues or cities that actually have less of this sad display?
    Do I eat them?.. raw or well done?...Do I trick them...? I don't think they're dumb...
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,000
    i am so glad ,judging by the opinion of the majority that i choose albany and hartford to go to,with me it was pot luck i am from england and made the trip over purely to see pj .
    i guess i made a lucky choice camden dont sound to nice from what i read and some of you did say it was shit even when the tickets went on sale,so why not choose a different show
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    rullmanrullman Posts: 2
    I never post, usually just read, but since I drove from Texas for both Camden shows I figured I'd give my opinion.

First night in Camden the show was obviously awesome because it was pj, but the acoustics were not very good in my area. If you were facing the stage, we were as far to the left as possibe (right against the wall, sec 204) in the second tier. It was really hard to hear. I could not make anything out.

Second night the energy in the crowd was off the hook. My seats were better (sec 201), and the people around me were very cool. Tailgating was okay, although the fucking bozo's using balloons looked like a bunch of f'ing clowns. Never partying in Camden or Philly, it did kinda leave a bad vibe. Most of the balloon smokers seemed really young and immature. But the fucking animals selling and constantly looking out for the cops were disgusting excuses for people. I am not a negative person, but as an outsider looking in, balloon bangers suck!!!!!!

We had no traffic problems at all-- went to the other side of BF bridge, on the back side of Campbell field, and literally got out of the parking lot both nights in about 15 minutes. I can't believe more people did not sneak out of the back side of the lot (right underneath the bridge).

Night #1 = B (and that was only because I could not hear... i could not hear a thing and still score it a B. Anyone who scores a show lower then a B just is not a fan)

Night #2 = A ++++++++ You fucking rock Pearl Jam!!!

This trip cost me bundles and I'd do it all over again. Going to DC next before heading back to Austin.

If they play down south i don't think the fans are as hardcore, but I do think the vibe is more friendly. Just my opinion. I'm sure that last sentence will get me ripped on, but this is my 1st east coast trip and that is how I feel.

Not that it is a big deal... I could get my teeth knocked out in the parking lot jersey style, have balloons shoved up my ass, be forced to wear wife beaters and it would all be worth it to see the crowd go ape shit listening to comatose and leash. What a fucking show. NEXT STOP FALLING!!!!
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    where are you from? We drove from nyc to camden--had time to walk around philly--back to camden saw a great show followed a very long line of cars leaving the parking lot and we were on our way, no prob.

Exactly how did so many manage to get lost?
  • Options
    imfaithfulimfaithful Posts: 106
    i was at both shows and they both were fucking amazing....parking lots were flooded with nitrous ballons, didnt see a point in it but the shows were amazing, something ill never forget, had my tour shirt stolen the first night but it didnt get me down....GREAT FUCKING BAND!
    I LOVE THIS BAND

"If some guy's not really giving me a reaction, I'll try and fucking get a reaction out of him. And I feed off of that. I go crazy. In a good way."-Mike McCready

www.myspace.com/lovethejam
  • Options
    xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    Nitrous balloons....I thought pearl jam fans would be more mature than that. It's so retarded. Just about everybody in my lot after the show had at LEAST one of them, though I never noticed too many of them at other venues I saw PJ.
  • Options
    Bird888Bird888 Posts: 99
    I definately liked the vibe better at the Spectrum and Wachovia shows. Night 1, some guy in our section blew lunch before the show even began. Another guy threatened another's life because he wouldn't take off his baseball cap. His wife couldn't see. Of course it didn't matter cause the dude that was threatening people was so wasted that he passed out during the first set! and these were 10c seats. But I met a really cool couple from Pittsburgh who made it all worthwhile!!

Night 2 we saw less drunks and aholes. I am originally from Philly but live in VA now. I makes me sad to see others act so stupid.

Yea, Camden sucks. But when they booked the shows, the Flyers were still in the playoffs so maybe the Wachovia wasn't available.

Don't forget, the success of the new cd, and singles does tend to bring out people who aren't the most seasoned fan
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
    ride" ! Unknown

• Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Philly crowds suck? 2 shows in 98, 2 in 2000, 3 in 03, 1 in 05. 3 if you include 2 Borgata ,which probably drew a whole lotta Phily addy-tude. Dude, GIMME SOME TRUTH !! If there is suck in Philly crowds, ya can't see it from my house. Philly, Camdelphia,AC...I'm DOWN with it. I'm going every time without fail.

Otherwise , go back to sleep.Speaking of East Rutherford, didn't it just get GARDEN spot of the year ? Not!
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    everyone bitching please dont come to camden again and give the people who actually had a good time better seats.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Options
    LongRoadLongRoad Posts: 421
    DeLukin wrote:
    Yea, I wasn't impressed with the Tweeter Center or Camden in general. The only good thing about it was being able to hear the sound check because it was (sort of) outdoors. And even though I risked my life in the 2 hour trek from the trash infested parking lot to the BF bridge (which should've taken 30 mins if anyone would've cared enough to direct traffic) after the show, the concert itself was so great I would do it again in a minute. I must be a masochist.

Thanks for nothing Camden. Thanks for a great show Pearl Jam!

That's why me and my girl bolted out of there as soon as we heard RITFW start up.
    We were getting in our car right as it was ending and probably back at our Hotel just as Ledbetter was ending.
  • Options
    Biggest WaveBiggest Wave Posts: 686
    LongRoad wrote:
    That's why me and my girl bolted out of there as soon as we heard RITFW start up.
    We were getting in our car right as it was ending and probably back at our Hotel just as Ledbetter was ending.

ooooo, you left early. There's a thread all about people leaving early and how it disrespects the band and how you're not a real Pearl Jam Fan. I commend you for leaving early. How many times can you actually sit there and listen to the same two songs end a show. Good move.
  • Options
    kronixkronix Posts: 1
    bee_boy wrote:
    No, seriously, Is Camden underpopulated? How come no one has started bitching about this thread? They must know it's a shit town. (Not that I would know, I've never been there)

Trust me, the actual people that live in Camden don't even know who PJ is, nor could afford tickets. They only know that when a concert is there it means drug sales, car break ins & robbery attempts. Camden population is 75% African American, 23% Hispanic & 2% White Trash. Is that the demographic of Pearl Jam fans? I think not.

All in all, it was another great chance to see PJ, just get to the venue & get out.
  • Options
    I'm laughing out loud at these posts. After the show, the asshole frat boy types in the car next to us in the parking lot started smashing their beer bottles against the wall or the ground. They must have smashed a case of empty bottles all over the parking lot.

So disgusting. I hope they ran over their mess and had all four tires go flat in the middle of Camden.

That place really, really sucks.
  • Options
    BoltOfLightnin'BoltOfLightnin' South Jersey Posts: 708
    Yes the city of Camden is not a nice place, and like someone above posted, it's not the people FROM Camden attending PJ shows. That said, in regard to the trash, drunks, balloons, etc.....it's no different in Philly.

Now, the first night I was inside and the sound was pretty good. Last night on the lawn, it could have been a little lounder...specially since there ARE a lot of big mouths out there, but for the most part, a lot of the people around me were into the show...even the new songs!

Anyway, like others have already said as well, if you are a 10C member with a lower number than me...then PLEASE DON'T 'come back' to camden!
    No time to be void or save up on life...you've got to spend it all.
  • Options
    are the pj fans not the ones breaking beer bottles and lleaving a mess after the tailgate party?

kronix wrote:
    Trust me, the actual people that live in Camden don't even know who PJ is, nor could afford tickets. They only know that when a concert is there it means drug sales, car break ins & robbery attempts. Camden population is 75% African American, 23% Hispanic & 2% White Trash. Is that the demographic of Pearl Jam fans? I think not.

All in all, it was another great chance to see PJ, just get to the venue & get out.
  • Options
    Completely agree with you

it was my first time there and it was fine

groovN wrote:
    please, please, please all of you complainers (and i hope your fan club # is lower then mine) stay the hell home next time!!!!

camden is a great place to see a concert. been there tons of times, never, ever, ever had a problem. yes there is crime there but the areas near the venue are totally safe with TONS of police. we go there on newyearseve to see the fireworks with our kids. absolutely no problems!

the best concerts memories of my life took place at that venue, so please stay home and let me be closer next time ;)

tonights concert was fucking amazing!

oh, and about the guido remark - im just a mick from south jersey, but the italian folks round here are awesome. the crowd was great, the lawn is always great, my 10club seats (row t) were great! im a happy girl :)
  • Options
    moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    Hmmm opening song night II:

Oh please let it Rain today,
    This city is so filthy.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    XboxjunkieXboxjunkie Posts: 133
    groovN wrote:
    you guys are so full of crap. i dont know where you all live, but camden is not much different from any other city. stay on the main roads and you are fine. but that goes without saying. there are so many concert goers and cops there that its safe.

we had the balls to pull over and go to the liquor store in Camden! The beers (cases) were all taped up, Fridges all had locks on them, the cashier had bullet glass in front. My friend was asking for direction from this guy out front and he points in this direction with his arm raised and wouldn't you know it he had a GUN in his waist! I was scared alive taking out my wallet to pay!

Its 3rd world there, houses falling apart, no windows, crack whores walking around asking for change. Words can't describe how bad it is there.
    How I choose to feel is how I am.
    Maybe Pearl Jam wanted to give their fans a view of what poverty really looks like. Green Disease will not help those areas that need it until there is opportunity ($$) involved. Almost as funny as the Starbucks news story on CNN about how they help rebuild communities. Okay let's get them hooked on our overpriced coffee and run out the mom and pop diner's out of business. Did anyone see a Starbucks in Camden?

Off topic a little but made me think.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    everyone bitching please dont come to camden again and give the people who actually had a good time better seats.

ha, perfect

I was a little taken back by people being so inconsiderate as to not even use the many dumpsters that were available. Leaving shit all over the parking lot is ridiculous.

a lot of you are talking about the assholes themselves and associating them with being from the Philly/Jersey area. Alot of you came from out of town, what makes you think the particular assholes you encountered were not from out of town too.

There are assholes EVERYWHERE.

To the person who sat in Section 204, I was in 104 both nights and encountered the same problem with the sound

first time ever at the Tweeter, usually the sound is good
  • Options
    idratherbeidratherbe Posts: 367
    I had a great time at the shows, and the group I was with brought trash bags and USED THEM. I was appalled by the 'trash' behavior in both Camden and Detroit. People thinking it's funny to launch a bottle over their shoulder and hear it smash. Nice. The way some people treat our one and only Earth makes me ill.

I agree with PureandEasy, not all fans there are FROM there (hell NONE of the fans are really FROM there as far as Camden goes!!!); we came from the west coast. Assholes are everywhere.

A big fuck you goes to the chicks peeing out the side door of the van in full view of our group, real classy, you have a van rented with a driver and streaming pee all over the area you're hanging out in, with the port-a-can 50 yards away with a line less than 5 minutes long. Reeeeeeeeal nice. Next time maybe have a friend hold a towel up if you're too lame to make the 50 yard walk to take a pee.

Yeah so Camden isn't the greatest city in the world, but the venue on the water/park side is nice. The sound on the left side of the venue BLOWS ASS, unfortunately. :( Anyway, all of you who hate it, please stay away in the future because next time I'd like to be much closer than row W, and I plan to be there partying and enjoying the best band on earth with my Philly-area friends. :D

~peace~
    Never allow someone to be your Priority,
    While allowing yourself to be their Option.

‹^›_‹(ô¿ô)›_‹^›

Please visit daily: www.theanimalrescuesite.com
  • Options
    Placid BluePlacid Blue Posts: 31
    kidapollo wrote:
    I wouldn't go back to Camden, either. I sat in the lawn with my friends rather than using my 10C tickets .

quote]

Why in the world would you not use your 10c tickets? You know I could of used them.

I tell you I've been on the lawn twice at Tweeter and I will NEVER stand on the lawn again. Especially after a crappy Dave Matthews concert and some skanky girl decided to take a piss right on the lawn.
    Another problem with PJ fans and not pointing fingers because I don't know any of you here but from my experiences at the 4 shows I've seen so far there are so many drunks that come to the shows. Some wind up throwing up if not on you than near your feet, they pass out, they do dire things. Those people certainly need to not drink. Why not go get drunk after the show that way you will remember the show.

I also want to point out that the people who go to the Tweeter Center do not live in Camden. If they are not traveling from all over the U.S. or world, than they live in Philly or other towns in New Jersey.

I met the guys in R.E.M. in that Tweeter Center back in 1999 so I kind of have a softspot for the seated area of that venue. But one thing I found interesting was when Michael Stipe asked the group of us who were there for the soundcheck this: "Does anyone here actually live in Camden" All twenty some people shook their heads NO.
    "If you were waiting for us, than we were waiting for you" E. Vedder 10-3-05

He who forgets will be destined to remember.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Speaking as another out-of-towner (from Texas), I have to say that I didn't experience any of these problems. Yeah, the parking lot was a fucking mess but I didn't park there. I and the group I was with heeded the advice Philly people on the board gave us and stayed in Philly and took the ferry across. It wasn't hard. Philly Phlash to Penn's Landing, get on the ferry. And the wait after the show wasn't that bad. It was just more opportunity to sit and talk with people. Ferry across, find a cab, get something to eat at that 24 hour diner on 18th Street. Seriously, it wasn't that difficult. You never have to even see Camden.

I probably won't be back, but that is only because I like to try different places every time.

Oh, and I thought the Tweeter was just OK as a venue, nothing more. No different than any other outdoor shed I've been to. I couldn't hear Mike at all on the first night or see shit but it seemed much better on the 2nd night, and I could see (200, row C).

As to the complaints about people on the lawn being a-holes. I've seen that at almost every outdoor venue.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    LongRoadLongRoad Posts: 421
    Flagg wrote:
    It was just more opportunity to sit and talk with people.

See, that's a problem for me right there. I'm not really interested in what other people have to say
    and I can't stand when people that I don't know try to start a conversation with me.
    My girl is exactly the same way so we're happy taking our chances in a locked car navigating
    through the broken down cars and abandoned buildings. While we were there we said we'd never go back,
    but I know if the band played there again and it was one of the only shows in the area, I'd go again.
  • Options
    XboxjunkieXboxjunkie Posts: 133
    LongRoad wrote:
    and I can't stand when people that I don't know try to start a conversation with me.
    My girl is exactly the same way

Perfect match!

if you don't like having conversations, what are you doing here?
    How I choose to feel is how I am.
    Xboxjunkie wrote:
    Perfect match!

if you don't like having conversations, what are you doing here?

Here on the board?

It's a little different than having to listen to someone go on and on about their miserable lives and being face to face with them. Most people give me a headache and I really don't give a fuck about their miserable lives or what they did for the weekend or what they had for dinner or what they think about.......whatever.

Here I can read what I choose and walk away anytime I want.