Options

Camden...shithole, Shithole, Shithole

smittyballzsmittyballz Posts: 19
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Wow... I cannot believe how much of a discusting place Camden is... On top of the fact that at one point it was the murder capital of the USA...There was soooo.......... much WHITE TRASH.......I had front row seats and... I could still smell the fish smell from the river... Pearl Jam did their best to take away from the fucking GUIDOS.. with wife beaters on...and the people who drank so much they couldnt walk... Great setlist but Boston 2 was much Better... I have never seen so much waste of space.. of people who don't deserve the chance of life.. let alone to see pearl jam... needless to say Ill never go back... even if pearl jam played a show there just for me... :) anyone else feel me???????????
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jchais01jchais01 Posts: 129
    Wow... I cannot believe how much of a discusting place Camden is... On top of the fact that at one point it was the murder capital of the USA...There was soooo.......... much WHITE TRASH.......I had front row seats and... I could still smell the fish smell from the river... Pearl Jam did their best to take away from the fucking GUIDOS.. with wife beaters on...and the people who drank so much they couldnt walk... Great setlist but Boston 2 was much Better... I have never seen so much waste of space.. of people who don't deserve the chance of life.. let alone to see pearl jam... needless to say Ill never go back... even if pearl jam played a show there just for me... :) anyone else feel me???????????
    I agree, Camden definitely is a shit-hole....but I wouldn't let it stop me from seeing PJ there again. They put on an awesome show and that really should be all theat matters!!!
    "Delight in Our Youth"
  • Options
    kidapollokidapollo Posts: 75
    I wouldn't go back to Camden, either. I sat in the lawn with my friends rather than using my 10C tickets ... what a mistake. The people up there were ignorant, rude and beyond intoxicated. There was a group of guys, I would put their ages as in their late teens or maybe early 20s, that from the first chord wanted to do nothing but mosh and smash into each other. From there, the fights ensued. And not just little skirmishes, I'm talking knock-down-drag-out, dudes coming from nowhere to punch other dudes, guys rolling on the ground punching each other kind of fighting. No show is worth getting clocked by these idiots. Security was all over the place before the show and nowhere once it started.

How many people did you see being carried out, unable to walk? I saw quite a few. Losers.

I was also shocked at the amounts of nitrous those people were huffing in the parking lot. After the show, the parking lots looked like public dumps. It's a shame. The people who don't take with them what they bring into those places should be ashamed of themselves. The garbage was unbelieveable.

Worst crowd I've ever seen at a show. Without a doubt. I think if the band and band management had a good look at what was going on out in that lawn and out in the parking lots ... they'd be shocked.
    I MET SIR MIKE F'N McCREADY!!!!!!!!
    (Added to my sig as per SENROCK'S suggestion)

"No time to be void, or save up on life ... you got to spend it all."

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member #0020

Last Exit: Pittsburgh
    Next Stop: ???
  • Options
    Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    Camden is a total shithole and Philly crowds suck in general. That's why I'm going to East Rutherford. I will never go to Camden to see a show, even though it's closer.
  • Options
    anlejaanleja Posts: 3
    haha, I was expecting at least one reply to be in defense of Camden, but... it really MUST not be the best place on Earth.
  • Options
    RiderRider Posts: 125
    I had a great time. Yeah, the town is run down but the Tweeter Center is right beside the river in a nice park with marina and good view of Philly. My buddy and I drove all the way up from NC and really enjoyed meeting a lot of cool folks from Delaware, PA and NJ.

I had good 10 Club seats (15th row) and the crowd around us was nice, fun and way into it. Terrific show in my book. 172xxx
    We all walk the Long Road...

Charlotte & Raleigh Lollapalooza 1992, Charlotte Memorial 1996, Tibet Freedom Concert 1998, Raleigh & Greenville 1998, Greensboro 2000, Raleigh & Camden 2003, Asheville 2004, Camden 2006, DC 2008, Atlanta 2012  Charlottesville 2013, Charlotte 2013
     Greenville, (XRaleighX) and Hampton 2016, London Hyde Park, Quebec City and Ottawa 2022, St Paul (hopefully) 2023
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
    i know i wont, let me down once (camden 03 night 1) i'll give you a second chance. let me down twice (camden 06 night 1) and i boycott the venue.
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    WashMyLoveWashMyLove Posts: 804
    I wouldn't go to Candem unless with a ride or if I plan to sleep in a hotel in Philly...From NYC to Candem was such a long ride and coming back we missed our train....didn't want to stay in Trenton or Candem so we decided to look for a hotel in Philly....I have to thank a girl who was on line @ the ferry to Philly. She told my friend about the Omni hotel. She saved our lives lol....Every Hotel in Philly was sold out. Very expensive hotel but better than to sleep in the street....maybe if we were with guy friends but two females would have not been safe.

Thanks once again to that PJ concert goer.

:)
  • Options
    Rollin'RockRollin'Rock Posts: 37

you nailed it...Camden rots and you have to drive thru such a wonderful neighborhood to get to the place. I've been to at least on of the shows every year they played there, but this year I skipped out and am going to Pittsburgh. I hope it's a good show for those who are there.

(The Guido line is great!!)
  • Options
    starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,908
    We couldn't find a cab after the show... took about 45 minutes and then the cab ride to Philly took about 75 minutes. It was horrible. The one thing I will say is that the venue itself wasn;t bad. I am from upstate NY (near Rochester in Seneca Falls) and I agree with the "guido" comment (even though I'm half whop myself). Total dipshits who want to hear songs from Ten and Vs, and think they have 2 records out still.

The scalpers were total assholes as well. One dipshit (10C member) actually had the audacity to tell me I "wasn;t a real fan" when I didn;t want to give him my 202 row B's for his 204 row Q's. He said "These are on MIKE'S SIDE!!". I said, well, I have my eyes closed most the time anyway. Then he said "You aren;t even a fan". I smirked and walked away. He was drunk, big (I'm small) and a total fuck face.

Camden's grades:

VENUE ITSELF: B (if it were inside, it would get an F, but I love outdoor shows)
    EASE OF GETTING BEERS: F
    PEOPLE: F-

FUCK YOU CAMDEN
    Ithaca, NY-11/6/91 SPAC, NY-8/4/92 Rochester, NY-4/7/94 Toronto-9/21/96 Buffalo, NY-10/1/96 Barrie, ONT-8/20/98 Pittsburgh, PA- 8/25/98 Jones Beach, NY-8/23/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/24/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/25/00 SPAC, NY-8/27/00 Buffalo, NY-5/2/03 MSG-7/8/03 MSG -7/9/03 Hamilton, ONT-9/13/05 Albany, NY-5/12/06 Cleveland, OH-5/20/06 Camden, NJ-5/27/06 East Ruth, NJ-6/3/06 Chicago, IL-8/5/07 Bonnaroo-6/14/08 MSG-6/24/08 MSG-7/25/08 Mansfield, MA-7/30/08 Chicago, IL-8/23/09 Philly, PA-10/30/09 Philly, PA-10/31/09 Buffalo, NY 5/10/10 MSG 1&2 5/20-21/10
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,187
    Yep, Camden blows, my ride said they got lost in Camden on the way back from Philly... said it was more aweful than the worst parts in Baltimore, aka the projects. Yikes.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    sixpixeesixpixee Posts: 37
    i agree! my cousin and i drove there in 2000 to see them play and it was just awful. i seriously feared for my life driving through the city after the show. :(
    9.21.96 Toronto*8.22.98 Barrie*9.15.98 Mansfield*9.16.98 Mansfield*8.27.00 Saratoga Springs*8.29.00 Mansfield*8.30.00 Mansfield*9.2.00 Camden NJ*9.4.00 Columbia MD*7.2.03 Mansfield*9.28.04 Boston*5.24.06 Boston*5.25.06 Boston*6.28.08 Mansfield*6.30.08 Mansfield*8.2.08 EV Boston
  • Options
    PineappleAnaPineappleAna Posts: 255
    yep camden suuuuuucks
  • Options
    I once went to see a concert @ the Electric Factory in Philly in about 2000. My friend told me it was the former E-Center, which is really the Tweeter center...I could be wrong?? We got lost in Camden and was scared for my life. It was a dark cold night in December and lost in Camden, the former murder capital in the US (from what ive been told)
    So when I realized I was going to se PJ in Camden, I took a deep breath and said, It's my first show, who the hell cares!
    But after seeing how much the NJ/Philly people were totally wasted didnt really make me think Camden was so bad, it was just the locals! My crew had to be the most discusting area in the parking lot. Beer everywhere, broken glass, kids getting rowdy because they were going to see Pearl Jam. I love Pearl Jam and do get excited, but does it really take alcohol to do this? I use to be the type of person to drink and have a good time, but I was totally sober and had a better time because I actually remember most of the set in my head. Drunk and that would have never happened. Anyways, Camden didnt scare me as much as the drunks!

Is it like that everywhere?
    finally, 5/27/06 Camden, NJ (philly)
  • Options
    I agree that Camden is a shithole, but I don't go there for the fucking scenery, I could care less, I go there to see Pearl Jam! I also have a really hard time believing that there were more drunks in Camden than in Boston, I've never met a Bostonian that wasn't drunk off their ass.
    9/29/96 Randalls Island, NYC ****
    9/10/98 Madison Square Garden, NYC
    9/01/00 Camden, NJ
    7/06/03 Camden, NJ
    7/08/03 Madison Square Garden, NYC ****
    7/14/03 Holmdel, NJ
    5/27/06 Camden, NJ
    6/03/06 East Rutherford, NJ
  • Options
    CanvasAdamCanvasAdam Posts: 134
    ok i have never been to camden, but uhhh... after reading this thread and seeing zero defense for this town... i am crossing this city off my list of potential pearl jam shows for the future lol. i do have my 20th show tuesday in DC tho!!!
    1998... 9/3
    2000... 8/7, 8/15, 11/5, 11/6
    2001... 10/20, 10/21, 10/22
    2002... 12/8, 12/9
    2003... 4/9, 4/18, 4/19, 7/8, 7/9
    2004... 10/6, 10/8
    2006... 5/16, 5/17, 5/30
    2008... EV Solo 4/12, 4/13, 4/16
    2008... PJ 6/14, 7/12
    2008... Stone Solo 10/11
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll take Boston of my list. I sat beside a guy from Boston, and all he did was bitch about Eddie and his views on Politics and the men he brought on stage. Thats enough for me.

By the way...i was actually surprised that only one person have me shit about wearing my Pittsburgh Pirates hat. My only defense was...how bout them STEELERS! HAHA!
    finally, 5/27/06 Camden, NJ (philly)
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,740
    Yea, I wasn't impressed with the Tweeter Center or Camden in general. The only good thing about it was being able to hear the sound check because it was (sort of) outdoors. And even though I risked my life in the 2 hour trek from the trash infested parking lot to the BF bridge (which should've taken 30 mins if anyone would've cared enough to direct traffic) after the show, the concert itself was so great I would do it again in a minute. I must be a masochist.

Thanks for nothing Camden. Thanks for a great show Pearl Jam!
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    bee_boybee_boy Posts: 384
    No, seriously, Is Camden underpopulated? How come no one has started bitching about this thread? They must know it's a shit town. (Not that I would know, I've never been there)
  • Options
    Red PepperRed Pepper Posts: 2
    Wow, it sounds like this place really sucks, I wanted to go to one of these two shows but now I'm glad I didn't!
  • Options
    SlimeeSlimee Posts: 9
    Camden is a scar on the face of this country. It's impossible to find your way out after a show, it's like the purposely re-route you through the ghetto before you can leave. Camden police fucking suck for blocking off the main entrance to the BF bridge

I saw them night 1 last night, and was SUPPOSED to go to Night 2, but my parents were unwilling to put up with the bullshit of getting into the city before they blocked off the entrances through the BF bridge, and the re-routing after the show...And I was too scared to drive down myself, since I know I would get lost and get my ass killed. I'm pissed because they played such a great show tonight, especially compared to last night's show, which was like...nothing but greatest hit....no...greatest overplayed songs. Whatever I plan on buying Sunday's show just so I can hear the concert I was SUPPOSED to be at. Fuck you Camden.

Why does PJ insist on playing at this trashy shithole instead of the Spectrum? Fuck Camden
    FUCK CAMDEN
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    we are just back. awesome, awesome awesome show. i guess i didn't have to experience camden - we are staying in philly, took the ferry back, then walked to the hotel. so i didn't have a bad experience at all.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    groovNgroovN Posts: 92
    please, please, please all of you complainers (and i hope your fan club # is lower then mine) stay the hell home next time!!!!

camden is a great place to see a concert. been there tons of times, never, ever, ever had a problem. yes there is crime there but the areas near the venue are totally safe with TONS of police. we go there on newyearseve to see the fireworks with our kids. absolutely no problems!

the best concerts memories of my life took place at that venue, so please stay home and let me be closer next time ;)

tonights concert was fucking amazing!

oh, and about the guido remark - im just a mick from south jersey, but the italian folks round here are awesome. the crowd was great, the lawn is always great, my 10club seats (row t) were great! im a happy girl :)
    picture an empty cup in the middle of the sea
  • Options
    oh, and whoever takes a freakin cab back to philly in all that traffic, that you have to know is going to be there, has to have something a little wrong with them. theres tons of public transportation, including a ferry, that will take you right into town.

the cabbie prob ripped you off because you deserved it. we saw a coupla guys in a cab last night, stuck in traffic, and laughed our asses off.
  • Options
    binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    The masses warned all of ya bout Camden awhile back and most thought we were just bad mouthing poverty. NOPE... THAT PLACE IS FUCKED! I venture to say, Tora Bora is more civilized
  • Options
    SlimeeSlimee Posts: 9
    It was funny because the second we passed the "Welcome to Camden" sign on Saturday, the roads instantly transformed into the same roads you might find in Baghdad
  • Options
    PJOceans11PJOceans11 Posts: 135
    ill see pearl jam in camden 7 days a week and twice on sundays
    9-1-00, 9-2-00, 4-28-03, 5-3-03, 7-1-03, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-5-03, 7-6-03, 7-8-03, 7-9-03, 7-12-03, 10-1-04, 9-30-05, 10-1-05, 10-3-05, 5-13-06, 5-27-06, 5-28-06, 6-1-06, 6-3-06, 6-19-08, 6-20-08, 6-24-08 and 6-25-08.
  • Options
    you guys are so full of crap. i dont know where you all live, but camden is not much different from any other city. stay on the main roads and you are fine. but that goes without saying. there are so many concert goers and cops there that its safe.
  • Options
    PhillyPACMGPhillyPACMG Philadelphia, PA Posts: 50
    PJOceans11 wrote:
    ill see pearl jam in camden 7 days a week and twice on sundays

I second that!!

Pearl Jam rocks the TWEETER!

No one goes to Camden for the scenery. Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Im a guido from South Philly and have yet to see a venue that is different from the Tweeter in the 30+ shows I went to in my life. Stay home if you hate Camden that much. If you are ony going to bitch, then at least let fans who appreciate the show get better fan club seats.
    *My whole life-like a picture on a sunny day*
    16 Philly / 14 Memphis / 13 Wrigley & Philly / 12 Atlanta & Philly / 09 Philly Spectrum I II III IV / 08 Camden I & II, MSG II / 07 Chicago Lolla / 06 E. Rutherford & Camden / 05 AC & Philly/ 04 Reading / 03 Philly & Camden / 98 Camden
  • Options
    matt770matt770 Posts: 134
    I'm blown away by all the bashing of Camden. Tonight was my first show there and definitely one of the best I've seen. The crowd was fine where I was (section 100). I'm not surprised by the drunks on the lawn, but the people in seats were really into it. One of the best crowds I've seen and the band really fed off it. Ed was in rare form, swigging his wine, taking his time with the slow songs (best Black I've heard in a LONG time) and then taking flying leaps at the end of Baba. Overall an amazing show IMO.

As for the Camden experience....I got over the Ben around 6, hit zero traffic, parked on 2nd ave, walked in, watched the sun set over Philly from the lawn, smoked a bowl with some people, then after the show hit very little traffic again. Piece of cake. Yeah the city is a dump but you're back on 676 in no time. I saw DMB at Camden last year and took the ferry from Philly...again, piece of cake. Don't understand all the negativity. I've been to venues like Hi Fi Buys in Atlanta and Hershey PA where it takes 90 minutes to exit the parking lot.
  • Options
    Camden sucks hardcore ass...Im from Philly and ive saw PJ at the Tweeter center in 03 and 06 and i saw radiohead there in 03 as well. Lawn seats suck...they arent worth it, thats why i didnt even go to night two because i knew i would get lawn tix. I would much rather of had them play the Wachovia center or the spectrum...why dont they just play at one of those places when they come too town? i dont get it??? camden can hold more but who cares when you have to stand and watch video monitors....at least i am seeing radiohead at the tower thursday!!! WOOO HOOO!!!