Options

______ is on my turntable right now.

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,782
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I found that one in VG+ condition last year. Had to create the listing for my copy on Discogs. Great record imo. 

you got that right.
    Yours looks like the same copy, (Fantasy 3245).  On my copy Side 1 is labelled as Side 2 on the record and Side 2 is labelled as Side 1. 
    The sleeve has the correct listing.  I put that in the notes on Discogs. I should probably add misprint in the description.

Shows their are four other owners now. 

huh. will check later.  saw side 1 and didnt check track listing.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631

Beautiful.  Love this record and the recording is out of this world.  You do need a good setup because some could consider this recording "hot".
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Beautiful.  Love this record and the recording is out of this world.  You do need a good setup because some could consider this recording "hot".
    Sounds great 

It’s got to be a gain issue as a 5mv cart at 40db gain it’s going to be hot

ive got a 3mv cart and at 46 it’s borderline hot, at 40 it isn’t but the KAB calculator says my carts ideal gain is 41.  My cart is fairly low output for a MM and 40 is the lowest gain setting on my phono preamp so I would have to think most carts would be hot, especially 5mv which seems to be the normal mm output 

that’s my theory anyway 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Sounds great 

ive got a 3mv cart and at 46 it’s borderline hot, at 40 it isn’t but the KAB calculator says my carts ideal gain is 41.  My cart is fairly low output for a MM and 40 is the lowest gain setting on my phono preamp so I would have to think most carts would be hot, especially 5mv which seems to be the normal mm output 

that’s my theory anyway 
    Probably right.  When I bought it,  I had a Ort Blue and it was right at the edge of hot.  Now I have a Hana SL MC which is. 5mv and it sounds perfect. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Sounds great 

that’s my theory anyway 
    Probably right.  When I bought it,  I had a Ort Blue and it was right at the edge of hot.  Now I have a Hana SL MC which is. 5mv and it sounds perfect. 
    Non replaceable stylus is probably what’s keeping me from taking the mc plunge.

with my luck I’d get it set up and damage the stylus.  Plus my tonearm is one piece which I regret now so I’ve really got to be a one cart person
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Sounds great 

that’s my theory anyway 

with my luck I’d get it set up and damage the stylus.  Plus my tonearm is one piece which I regret now so I’ve really got to be a one cart person

sounds like an excuse to buy a new turntable if you ask me. You didnt ask, so I offered.......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Sounds great 

that’s my theory anyway 

sounds like an excuse to buy a new turntable if you ask me. You didnt ask, so I offered.......
    As soon as I started upgrading my records to more AP stuff the thought has crossed my mind. It’s a viscous cycle.  This turntable is only about 6 months old and I haven’t thought of a way to explain why I need a new one to my wife yet 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Sounds great 

that’s my theory anyway 

As soon as I started upgrading my records to more AP stuff the thought has crossed my mind. It’s a viscous cycle.  This turntable is only about 6 months old and I haven’t thought of a way to explain why I need a new one to my wife yet 

have heard its easier to ask forgivess than it is permission.....

explained my og cover gnr appetite purchase as an investment.........

was just questioned why I have 7 tt in the basement....... ok honey one of those doesnt belong to me.......
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited June 2022

The reissue is fine, I still think a little thin, with not as much depth as the OG. Reissue is more clear, not as warm as the OG. I keep going back and forth, which is taking a while, but I prefer the overall sound of the OG, but QC aside, the reissue is good.

To me the track that really shows the difference is Given to Fly. The music envelopes you on the OG, the reissue is good, but definitely more clinical sounding. Elderly woman also has the same overly clinical representation on the reissue. One of the better tracks on the reissue is Red Mosquito which delivers more depth but with almost hints of sibilance where the OG is a much smoother ride. The bottom end is also much more prominent on Better Man on the OG, not that the reissue is bad just thinner. You can feel it when Jeff initially comes in and it really adds to the overall presence.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    MedozK said:

The reissue is fine, I still think a little thin, with not as much depth as the OG. Reissue is more clear, not as warm as the OG. I keep going back and forth, which is taking a while, but I prefer the overall sound of the OG, but QC aside, the reissue is good.

To me the track that really shows the difference is Given to Fly. The music envelopes you on the OG, the reissue is good, but definitely more clinical sounding. Elderly woman also has the same overly clinical representation on the reissue. One of the better tracks on the reissue is Red Mosquito which delivers more depth but with almost hints of sibilance where the OG is a much smoother ride. The bottom end is also much more prominent on Better Man on the OG, not that the reissue is bad just thinner. You can feel it when Jeff initially comes in and it really adds to the overall presence.
    Thanks for this! I asked for your results on another thread… just had to go looking for it. 
    I ordered the gold US pressing, assuming it’s United and will look for a euro cut when I’m in London for the Hyde Park shows 
  • Options
    MedozK said:

Thanks for this! I asked for your results on another thread… just had to go looking for it. 
    I ordered the gold US pressing, assuming it’s United and will look for a euro cut when I’m in London for the Hyde Park shows 
    Nice, have fun in London.
  • Options

• Options
    MedozK said:
    MedozK said:

Nice, have fun in London.
    You know it!
  • Options

Muddy Waters - Hard Again
    2010 Reissue, Kevin Gray cut
  • Options
    MedozK said:

I passed on this, but wonder if you had the old one and have an opinion whether the MOFI is significantly better.

Also, you don't use your clamp?  I have become a fan of it. 
  • Options
    I’m a big fan of my clamp. If you aren’t using a slip mat it’s pretty much mandatory for me.  I’m a bit hesitant to use weights though 

that turntable with the threaded spindle is awesome. My clamp is just friction based on a normal spindle 
  • Options
    I’m a big fan of my clamp. If you aren’t using a slip mat it’s pretty much mandatory for me.  I’m a bit hesitant to use weights though 

that turntable with the threaded spindle is awesome. My clamp is just friction based on a normal spindle 
    Yes, Medoz and I have the same table.  I play it without a mat and with the clamp.  It's a heavy steel one and it takes care of warps.  For example, the LO2L is warped out of the sleeve but with the clamp, it's perfect. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:

I passed on this, but wonder if you had the old one and have an opinion whether the MOFI is significantly better.

Also, you don't use your clamp?  I have become a fan of it. 
    I usually use the clamp if I have to deal with a slight warp. I need to really listen for a difference when using it. I have heard a lot about how the clamp will actually enhance the sound.

I have the Bellman cut also. This 45RPM is the one to have.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,876

• Options

• Options

• Options

Nice, is that the AP 45rpm?
  • Options
    MedozK said:

Yep.

the bass on it is ridiculously good. And tight 
  • Options
    Not a favorite band around here it seems, but it’s an excellent live album 
  • Options
    MedozK said:

Yep.

Did you have the RSD version as well?  I'm debating on whether to buy this.  They both are mastered by Scott Hull, so I assume they are same, just one cut to 45 RPM.  
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,790

• Options
    edited June 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:

Yep.

Did you have the RSD version as well?  I'm debating on whether to buy this.  They both are mastered by Scott Hull, so I assume they are same, just one cut to 45 RPM.  
    I’ve heard they are similar but no 

packaging and 45 being the main difference 
    I assume the sound is close 

either way it’s a great mastering. It’s one of the better engineered albums I’ve heard in a while 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    Loujoe said:

Cranked!!!!
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,886

1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby