Options

My Story of Meeting ED and Mike

kmrockkmrock Posts: 31
edited July 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
Hi people. I haven't posted in a few years, but I do keep up with the board. I had to come out of hiding, though, to share my amazing experience at the Columbia show.
Like many of you, I have been a hardcore PJ fanatic since '92--when I was 16. Their music has always been much more meaningful, emotional, and cathartic to me than to most people I know who just like their more "popular" songs.
About eight years ago I was paralyzed in a diving accident and I am still quadriplegic. I do have limited movement in my arms, so I am able to type this myself with hand devices--I have no finger movement. Since my accident I have worked to earn both a B.A. and my M.A. in History at Clemson University. This fall I will be starting work on my PhD and teaching at a small local college. Throughout some trying years, and the breakoff of my engagement with a girl whom I had dated for over three years, Pearl Jam's music has been a constant source of comfort and relief to me.
So, I was super-pumped when I found out they would be playing in Columbia--I live about an hour and a half away in Greer, SC. It was only my third time seeing them live--since travel is pretty difficult for me. My dad drove me, my cousin, and two of my friends to Columbia, and we were all really excited to see a great show.
While hanging out in the parking lot, an amazing thing happened. A friend I've known forever came running up to me and said, "Krause, do you want to go backstage?" I was skeptical at first--I thought he was bullshitting me. He knows the guys from King of Leon, and he told me he would try to get me and my other friends backstage after the show.
I tried not to get my hopes up, and proceeded to rock out during an incredible show. Near the end of the show, my other friend got a text telling us to meet them in the hall after the show--It was going to happen.
My buddy who knows KOL met us and took us downstairs where the band members had their dressing rooms. We talked with the boys from KOL, who were all super cool. I also met some of the PJ management, who were very friendly. Then they told me they were going to let me go back further and meet Eddie.
I could hardly believe it was real--I still can barely believe it. I drove my wheelchair into this little dimly-lit room and around the corner, and there was Eddie, sitting in front of a coffee table and an ashtray heaping with cigarette butts, still sweaty from the show. The first words out of my mouth were, "Holy fucking shit." He seemed to get a kick out of it and laughed--I didn't say it in a crazy groupie tone, but with a sense of humor.
Eddie could not have been more friendly. He jumped up and instantly hugged me, asking me how I was doing. He willing took pictures with me, and signed them. My buddy who took the pics is in love with all things retro, so of course he had a polaroid camera--which worked out well because Eddie could sign them right there. Eddie even suggested taking additional pics, which just proves that he is a good person, and not a jaded celebrity. I only got to talk with him for about ten minutes, but it was an absolutely incredible experience. Eddie even gave me one of his little pins, which he pinned on my shirt himself.
After leaving Eddie's room, I saw Mike walking by, and he was happy to take a picture with me and gave me a guitar pic. I just wanted to share my story, because the people on this message board are some of the few who can really understand what an amazing experience this was for a dedicated PJ fan. I am trying to post a link to my pictures. I hope it works, because I am no expert at this new-fangled internet thing. If anyone can't see the pictures with the link, I would appreciate any advice on how to make it work.
Thanks for sharing in my story. peace to you all.

http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn164/kmrok/
"My back is broken, and my hands are blistered"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 440
    thanks so much for sharing this incredible experience and your story. your post made my day!
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Awesome story. Thanks for sharing and best of luck to you. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 398
    That is a great story. Congrats on meeting Mike and Eddie and good luck with the teaching!
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    Reddev10Reddev10 Posts: 63
    Wow! Thats awesome. Great pictures.
    Terry
    www.myspace.com/terryphilly
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    that gave me chills. congrats! :)
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    Is on-stage the only place Mike does not wear a backpack????

That is an amazing and uplifting story, so happy you had the chance
    to meet them.
    I am actually more impressed with how you have perservered and triumphed
    over what happened to you and how you have gone on to do great things
    with your life.

You are the inspiration.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,572
    well done, quite deserving!
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    Kevin,

Your story is absoutely amazing--you seem like a truly wonderful human being! I am very excited for you...the Columbia show was amazing, and you got the cherry on top, too!

Take care,
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    That is definitely awesome, and the link the the pictures worked. Is it me or does Ed look more and more like the Dude from The Big Lebowski every year?
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    wow great story. Thanks for sharing.

So do all the PJ guys have their own rooms?
  • Options
    ItIsEvolutionBabyItIsEvolutionBaby Rogers, AR Posts: 397
    awesome story. gave me chills as well...best of luck!
    Oh please, let it rain today, this city's so filthy, like my mind in ways . . .
    Memphis, TN 08.15.00
    Oklahoma City, OK 04.03.03
    Little Rock, AR 06.10.03
    Bonner Springs, KS 06.12.03
    St. Louis, MO 10.05.04
    Chicago, IL 05.17.06
    New York, NY 06.24.08
    New York, NY 06.25.08
    Kansas City, MO 05.03.10
    East Troy, WI 09.03.11
    East Troy, WI 09.04.11
    Chicago, IL 07.19.13
    Dallas, TX 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK 11.16.13
    Tulsa, OK 10.08.14
    Memphis, TN 10.14.14
    Boston, MA 08.05.16
    Boston, MA 08.07.16
    Chicago, IL 08.20.16
    Chicago, IL 08.22.16
    Seattle, WA 08.08.18
    Seattle, WA 08.10.18
    Boston, MA 09.02.18
    Boston, MA 09.04.18
  • Options
    chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Wow man, awesome story and pics. Congrats.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Options
    BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    Great story man. :)
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • Options
    Bird888Bird888 Posts: 99
    great smiles from both you and Ed. Hope you get to go to many more shows in the future....
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
    ride" ! Unknown

• Options
    waterairwaterair Philly Posts: 53
    I have tears. Your story is awesome.
    Let's go to Europe ;-)

#409xxx
    (how I let my membership lapse is beyond me.)
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Amazing story! Thanks for sharing this with all of us.
  • Options
    awesome story, must have been one hell of an experience. you deserve it.
    NO TIME TO BE VOID OR SAVE UP ON LIFE, YOU GOT TO SPEND IT ALL!!!!!!!
  • Options
    nocode23nocode23 Posts: 411
    Awesome! I love stories like this! Thanks for sharing Kevin and congrats.
  • Options
    lannerslanners Posts: 458
    your story was both uplifting and exciting! thank you for sharing and i hope you are able to have many many more stories like this one to share with us!! :)
    i. am. mine.
  • Options
    TiaMijaTiaMija Posts: 597
    Awesome for you! Thanks for making my Monday better with your great story and pictures!
    So, what's your pin?
  • Options
    CapstonerCapstoner Posts: 727
    thanks for sharing, that is awesome man.
    Atlanta 92
    Columbia 08
    Atlanta 12
    Charlotte 13
    St Louis 14
    Greenville 16
    St Louis 22
    Seattle 24
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    What a story, thank you for sharing!! Just another reason why I love this band so much.

Peace,

RM
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Sweet.
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    share wrote:

to meet them.
    with your life.

You are the inspiration.
    I agree :) Amazing story Kevin! You lucky bastard :p

Made my day :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    violetpsychevioletpsyche Posts: 122
    What a fabulously happy tale. You have made me smile (and also a touch envious, of course ;) )

Good luck with the PhD and everything - I know how that feels, since I am getting to that stage too (just finishing my masters and want to continue on to a PhD).

Thanks so much for sharing that with us :)
  • Options
    VacateVacate Posts: 57
    share wrote:

to meet them.
    with your life.

You are the inspiration.

Hahah So true about Mike!

Thanks for sharing your story, it made my day.
    www.myspace.com/vacate3
  • Options
    alexersalexers Posts: 492
    Amazing story! Congratulations and good luck to you in the future! :)
  • Options
    jenbedderjenbedder Posts: 15
    Kevin- I am so glad you had a dream come true. I can not imagine what you have been through, but I do have a serious case of cancer and so I know about the challenge of living each day fully when there are hurdles. I am working on getting my dreams to come true, and one of them is to meet Eddie. I went to Mansfield Saturday night and saw them, and although I did not meet him, the show was so amazing and energizing, that it was SO worth the effort. I met some great fans too.

Anyway, best of luck for you. I have great admiration for teachers. I think the good ones are heroes.

Also, you are pretty good-looking. Hope you don't mind me saying this: Your ex was a fool.
    it makes much more sense
    to live in the present tense
  • Options
    evenflowmanevenflowman Posts: 1,345
    Awesome story. Such class these guys have after all these years.
  • Options
    This is awesome. Just fucking awesome. I'm so happy for you. This is how it should be. I'm so glad this happened to you, you look so thrilled!
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC