I need opinions.. Hard boiling an egg.. do you poke?

13»

Comments

• CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Bob liked the Grape Leaves. Joe wouldn't try one.. bad experience??

good luck with the eggs and see you soon
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    Caveeze wrote:
    Bob liked the Grape Leaves. Joe wouldn't try one.. bad experience??

good luck with the eggs and see you soon

More for you :lol: :wave:
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    Must have.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMkHktlXJpfaXfsLQJbMNduOT2GWLwITX8NEHhe4y1n_59h-K4zQ

And this.

Worcestershire-Sauce.jpg
    Nice shirt.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,424
    Hard Boiled Eggs.

Make sure the eggs are a week old (easier to peel older eggs)
    Put eggs in water(make sure they fully covered)
    Bring water to a full boil.
    Remove from heat and let eggs sit for 15 minutes.
    Dump out boiling water and cover eggs with cold water(throw in some ice)
    Let sit another 15 minutes.

TA DA!
    The PERFECT Hard Boiled Egg.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    Hard Boiled Eggs.

TA DA!

So I reread all the recommendations in here and also did some additional research online, and this is the method that seems to be most recommended, so I used it. They are removed from the heat now. I poked them with a needle that I put into a cork before. I think they are rather fresh, but I put a little bit of vinegar in the water too. We'll see what comes out of that ...
    It's a freaking science! Who would have thought? :lol: Thank you all for your help!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    chime wrote:
    Lisa thought you might find this interesting as presume because some of the rules applicable to the UK are EU rules could be similar for Germany v US??

why American eggs would be illegal in a British supermarket and vice versa

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaarumug ... ice-versa/

btw never seen one of those egg pokey thingys in the UK :P ... but apparently you can buy them from the UK amazon

Oh and hi! :wave:

thanks for the article chime!

I'm really shocked by this part:

About 90 percent of British eggs now come from vaccinated hens – it’s required for producers who want to belong to the Lion scheme. The remaining 10 percent come from very small farmers who don’t sell to major retailers.

In contrast, there is no such requirement for commercial hens in the US. Consequently, according to FDA data, there are about 142,000 illnesses every year caused by consuming eggs contaminated by the most common strain of salmonella. Only about one-third of farmers here choose to inoculate their flocks. Farmers cite cost as the main reason not to opt for vaccination –FDA estimates say it would cost about 14 cents a bird.

...and the chicken farmers are perfectly fine shooting up the birds with growth hormones, and antibiotics. Maybe if they stopped the growth hormones, they could use the vaccine and we'd have better eggs.

Anywho-I don't buy regular eggs, I buy organic, no antibiotics or growth hormones...and better tasting! (I'm sure you have farms nearby and can get farm fresh eggs :) )

Here is an article all about HB eggs, why old eggs are easier to peel, cooking times etc: http://www.edinformatics.com/math_scien ... d_eggs.htm

(according to the cooking chart, I can't believe so many of you like dried out HB eggs...:sick:)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,821
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    I've never poked my eggs before boiling, and they've turned out fine. But if the wife wants another kitchen contraption, get her one. She's not asking for crazy expensive shoes or purses, $20 is a small amount to have a happy woman.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Put eggs in water turn on heat. Total time from putting in water till boiled perfectly, 13 mins. I also heard vinegar is the trick. :corn:
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    hedonist wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    This has always worked awesome for me....
    Place eggs in a pot. Cover with cold water, add salt as it increases the boiling point.
    Bring up toa boil over medium heat. As soon as it boils, turn off the heat and let sit for 15 mins. Take out and place in ice water. Peals perfect, doesn't crack in the water.
    We've got 'er down :P

That's the way to do it (though not sure about the timing)!

Though piercing is a very, very common thing (at least on the continent). Don't have to use a device, just a needle. Nothing crazy about doing this... That's how I was taught by my mother, who was taught by hers, who was.... you get the drift.
    None of my eggs cracked :wave: I will keep the needle in the cork for future use, so hubs doesn't have to spend senseless money on overpriced gadgets :lol:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    this just showed up on yahoo today

:lol:

http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/hard- ... tml#!ddKD8
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Hard Boiled Eggs.

TA DA!

Boiled 2 dozen eggs this week. pretty much did this exact same thing. Worked perfect. Only difference was let them sit for 12 minutes in the hot water. Didnt need vinegar or any holes poked. Seems most issues with cracking come form people dropping eggs into boiling water rather than putting them in cold water and then heating to a boil.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814

We have a dish in Germany that is called "lost eggs", you basically pour the insides of eggs into a sour-ish broth and let them cook. The vinegar in the sauce prevents them from spreading all over the broth, they remain together. Kind of looks like this in the end:
    rezept-verlorene-eier-mit-kraeuter-senf-mayonnaise.jpg Yumm, I might make this soon :think:

I have egg allergies and that is too funky for me to eat. I get sick every time I eat eggs, and I still eat them?

It looks yummy to an egg eater?

(I'm allergic to beef, dairy, eggs, honey, MSGs, pork, etc, My life is awesome.)
    STAYSEA wrote:

I have egg allergies and that is too funky for me to eat. I get sick every time I eat eggs, and I still eat them?

It looks yummy to an egg eater?

(I'm allergic to beef, dairy, eggs, honey, MSGs, pork, etc, My life is awesome.)

Yes, it looks yummy to an egg eater. I don't have any food allergies and enjoy mixing up my diet.

Sorry to hear that you cannot eat everything you want. You should stop eating eggs if you get sick afterwards.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    http://youtu.be/aazP6zvJmiQ
    on like donkey kong as I usually scramble my eggs
    this dude is a damn genius or whomever figured this stuff out is
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I forgot to post the pic of the device :fp: Here it is:
    6a012876272fb6970c01287634ca3a970c-pi
    Egg cookers are so much easier and faster to use and the eggs turn out great (shell falls right off)

On the minus side, they can potentially burn your house down.
    chadwick wrote:
    http://youtu.be/aazP6zvJmiQ
    on like donkey kong as I usually scramble my eggs
    this dude is a damn genius or whomever figured this stuff out is

:lol: I love the fluffiness of scrambled eggs, that looks too tight for me. Cool idea though :thumbup:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Jason P wrote:

so can unlost :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    It's all good. I just don't want the eggs to crack, and this is the way I learned it from my Mom and grandma and everybody around me. Isn't is funny that something so small as boiling an egg would be so different in two countries? I guess I will have my Mom send me one ...
    They used to sell these at Williams Sonoma. I got one years ago.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

but she was making cookies...not eggs
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    pillsbury-doughboy.jpg
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

but she was making cookies...not eggs

So?