I need opinions.. Hard boiling an egg.. do you poke?

CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
My wife insists that a very small hole must be poked in one end to prevent the shell from cracking during cooking. She requires a device like this:

eierpiekser--eierstecher--eierdorn.jpg

so my fellow wonderful people, Do you poke or do you not poke?

and furthermore, have you ever even heard of this?
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    never heard ofsuch craziness nor ever saw such a wild device. i say shoot the eggs & call it good.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    She is crazy. Hard boiled eggs or egg drop soup?

Slow heat to a steady boil.

What would happen when given the laws of physics ? Poke a hole in a raw egg, and make her try that experiment. Save yourself twenty bucks on a silly gadget?
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I thought vinegar was the trick. May be wrong though
  • Simpler way to do it get a muffin pan.. Lay the eggs
    On their sudes( so the yolk stays in the middle) bake at
    365 degrees for twenty minutes. Then IMMEDIATELY put them
    In ice water for 5 minutes. Super easy peeling, no cracks!!
    :-) I have a cheap dye trick too, if ya need it!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Just boil, no need to poke
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    STAYSEA wrote:

What would happen when given the laws of physics ? Poke a hole in a raw egg, and make her try that experiment. Save yourself twenty bucks on a silly gadget?

:nono: That would mean my whole family and lots of people in Germany are crazy ...

In order to prevent this:
    90-1.jpg you pierce the larger end of the egg. There is a little air pocket that gets smaller once the egg starts to solidify (the red part):
    90-2.jpg
    You "trepanate" the egg, so to speak, in order to prevent it from cracking under the pressure (just like some people do when they have problems with their heads ...). Nothing of the insides leaks, the thin skin around the egg, the egg sack or whatever that is called, stays intact.

Everybody I know has an egg piercer and uses it. This is how I know it. And I am stunned that you cannot find them here and that everybody seems to cook them without it.
  • Love hard boiled eggs and have never pierced.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I used to hard boil

but then I discovered the soft boiled egg
    STAYSEA wrote:

:nono: That would mean my whole family and lots of people in Germany are crazy ...

In order to prevent this:
    90-1.jpg you pierce the larger end of the egg. There is a little air pocket that gets smaller once the egg starts to solidify (the red part):
    90-2.jpg
    You "trepanate" the egg, so to speak, in order to prevent it from cracking under the pressure (just like some people do when they have problems with their heads ...). Nothing of the insides leaks, the thin skin around the egg, the egg sack or whatever that is called, stays intact.

Everybody I know has an egg piercer and uses it. This is how I know it. And I am stunned that you cannot find them here and that everybody seems to cook them without it.

I've never had to use this type of device. But for those that need it, I guess it's necessary. I didn't know the OP's wife was from Germany. I live in a lower altitude and things cook different. :oops: Sorry.
    It's all good. I just don't want the eggs to crack, and this is the way I learned it from my Mom and grandma and everybody around me. Isn't is funny that something so small as boiling an egg would be so different in two countries? I guess I will have my Mom send me one ...
  • donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    Is that contraption for the microwave? If so,Poke a hole.If not,Biol in a pot.
    Cook over Med-to medium high heat until they just come to a rolling boil,
    Remove from heat a let them stand in the water until water has cooled.
    Their shell will be perfect,and peel perfect also. :)
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    your wife is always right.. 8-)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    no shit.. I got the money to buy the tool if I could just find one at any store!!

She has never let me down in the kitchen.. or any other room for that matter.. so yes, whatever she needs to get the job done I am down for..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    Caveeze wrote:
    no shit.. I got the money to buy the tool if I could just find one at any store!!

She has never let me down in the kitchen.. or any other room for that matter.. so yes, whatever she needs to get the job done I am down for..

Get with Leezestarr313, her mom is going to ship her one. Up on top.
    have your mom mail you a box full of egg poking things so we can all try it. you could be the next multimillionaire who sold egg hole tools online. i'll take 3. thank you.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    STAYSEA wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

they are together, they are married those two.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    STAYSEA wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

:lol: :thumbup:
    Chadwick, I'll see what I can do :D
    to be honest (and mind you i am a good cook) i cannot boil a decent fucking egg without tearing it apart & i fuck up the timing part because at least 1/2 the time i get a runny ass yolk & demolished whites. it is pretty ridiculous how difficult boiling eggs can be if you do not literally time the fuckers & if you are not gentle you are screwed over.

i need help boiling eggs.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I used to hard boil

Nothing like a good soft-boiled egg.

Salt & pepper, and NO runny whites.

(sounds racist :mrgreen: )
    chadwick! My failsafe hardboiling method:

No poking (that's not what she said)
    Cover eggs with cold water, add salt and bring to a boil.
    Remove from heat, cover and let sit for 13 minutes.

Icebath those fuckers, peel under running water and voila!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    This has always worked awesome for me....
    Place eggs in a pot. Cover with cold water, add salt as it increases the boiling point.
    Bring up toa boil over medium heat. As soon as it boils, turn off the heat and let sit for 15 mins. Take out and place in ice water. Peals perfect, doesn't crack in the water.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    mca47 wrote:
    This has always worked awesome for me....
    Place eggs in a pot. Cover with cold water, add salt as it increases the boiling point.
    Bring up toa boil over medium heat. As soon as it boils, turn off the heat and let sit for 15 mins. Take out and place in ice water. Peals perfect, doesn't crack in the water.
    We've got 'er down :P
    chadwick wrote:
    to be honest (and mind you i am a good cook) i cannot boil a decent fucking egg without tearing it apart & i fuck up the timing part because at least 1/2 the time i get a runny ass yolk & demolished whites. it is pretty ridiculous how difficult boiling eggs can be if you do not literally time the fuckers & if you are not gentle you are screwed over.

In Germany, I had something like this, worked like a charm. I like my boiled eggs medium, with a softish yolk, but firm white. My apparatus came with an egg piercer (of course :lol: ) and a little measure device. You could boild one up to 6 eggs with it I think. And put water in with the measure device for soft, medium or hard. Worked every time.
    I thought it was funny that mine had the same name as my mom, who is a gynecologist who helps women to get preggers :lol:
    hedonist wrote:
    I used to hard boil

Nothing like a good soft-boiled egg.

Salt & pepper, and NO runny whites.

(sounds racist :mrgreen: )
    chadwick! My failsafe hardboiling method:

No poking (that's not what she said)
    Cover eggs with cold water, add salt and bring to a boil.
    Remove from heat, cover and let sit for 13 minutes.

Icebath those fuckers, peel under running water and voila!
    i try it.

my whites are destroyed everytime. probably 1/3 or more of the whites are stuck to the shell & then i get a yolky ass runny mess sometimes too & then the trash can eats the eggs.

literally any part of an egg that is raw will make my stomach turn & i will puke. fry me an egg that is runny & if i eat the fucker i will vomit within minutes.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    And thanks for all the tips :thumbup: I will certainly try mca and whispering hands' method!
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I thought it was funny that mine had the same name as my mom, who is a gynecologist who helps women to get preggers :lol:

For the moment, I want to keep all of your eggs un-poked.. just sayin.. :D:D
    edited March 2013
    chadwick wrote:

In Germany, I had something like this, worked like a charm. I like my boiled eggs medium, with a softish yolk, but firm white. My apparatus came with an egg piercer (of course :lol: ) and a little measure device. You could boild one up to 6 eggs with it I think. And put water in with the measure device for soft, medium or hard. Worked every time.

And this thread went nutty! :lol::lol::lol:

Germans know what's up. :lol::lol:

Sudden interest in Eggs?

(I'm only making a joke, I know that different altitudes need different cooking requirements. I'm not laughing at anyone.)
    Post edited by STAYSEA on
    I forgot to post the pic of the device :fp: Here it is:
    6a012876272fb6970c01287634ca3a970c-pi
    chadwick wrote:

wow cool same here... im a gynecologist too. most women don't believe me & slap me around when i tell them this in a dark alley or wherever it is.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I forgot to post the pic of the device :fp: Here it is:
    6a012876272fb6970c01287634ca3a970c-pi

You are pretty serious about your eggs

Neat