I need opinions.. Hard boiling an egg.. do you poke?

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    hedonist wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    This has always worked awesome for me....
    Place eggs in a pot. Cover with cold water, add salt as it increases the boiling point.
    Bring up toa boil over medium heat. As soon as it boils, turn off the heat and let sit for 15 mins. Take out and place in ice water. Peals perfect, doesn't crack in the water.
    We've got 'er down :P
    Whoa! :shock: :lol:
    ...I think my 15 minutes is right...amateur! ;)
    That is funny though! :D
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    Caveeze wrote:
    I thought it was funny that mine had the same name as my mom, who is a gynecologist who helps women to get preggers :lol:

For the moment, I want to keep all of your eggs un-poked.. just sayin.. :D:D

Fine!

:lol:
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    :shock:
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    you are right peacepaul she be serious about her eggs
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Now I really want some eggs
    chadwick wrote:
    you are right peacepaul she be serious about her eggs

For sure

I bet the eggs she makes are fekkin delicious
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i enjoy hard boiled eggs in my tuna with cheese & mayo. thank you & goodnight.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,821
    Caveeze wrote:
    I thought it was funny that mine had the same name as my mom, who is a gynecologist who helps women to get preggers :lol:

For the moment, I want to keep all of your eggs un-poked.. just sayin.. :D:D
    its ok to poke the eggs, just dont pierce them!!! :mrgreen:;)
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I started poking eggs. I use a push pun because I can't find an egg piercer either. Never had an egg break either.

Poke the fat end of the egg, place in a pot of cold water, turn to high, as soon as the water comes to a full hard boil, remove pot from heat, set timer for 6 minutes (longer if you don't like soft yolks), and done!

Poking eggs makes them easier to peel too.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Proper hard boiling of eggs:

Place eggs in cold water. Bring to boil for 1 minute. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I started poking eggs. I use a push pun because I can't find an egg piercer either. Never had an egg break either.

Poke the fat end of the egg, place in a pot of cold water, turn to high, as soon as the water comes to a full hard boil, remove pot from heat, set timer for 6 minutes (longer if you don't like soft yolks), and done!

this all sounds dirty
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

this all sounds dirty

You leave my eggs alone! :nono:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    RKCNDY wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

this all sounds dirty

You leave my eggs alone! :nono:

:lol:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i think the moral of the story here.....is.....germans just like to make things complicated :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    She will be doing the eggs today.. We will have to wait and see what method is used..

I got a feeling there will be some poking going on.. Then, we will get to the business of cooking these eggs :D
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    Caveeze wrote:
    She will be doing the eggs today.. We will have to wait and see what method is used..

I got a feeling there will be some poking going on.. Then, we will get to the business of cooking these eggs :D

:fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i think the moral of the story here.....is.....germans just like to make things complicated :mrgreen:

:P :lol:

RCKNDY, I'll send you one if my Mom manages to send me a couple of them :wave:

And today, I'll try my luck with a sewing needle. I just need to find it ...
    81 wrote:

Yay for egg pokers! Good luck with the sewing needle...if the egg breaks sprinkle a bunch of salt on it, wait a few minutes, and it will be easier to clean up.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

Yay for egg pokers! Good luck with the sewing needle...if the egg breaks sprinkle a bunch of salt on it, wait a few minutes, and it will be easier to clean up.

• of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    has anyone heard the theory that eggs that have been sitting in your fridge for a few days work better than fresh bought eggs? We were just discussing this whole theory at work this morning. So to hear the "piercing" theory is quite interesting
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Put eggs in water, bring to rolling boil, cover for 12 minutes. Rinse in cold water.

I've never heard that the cooking method affects the peels sticking. Always heard you don't want to use fresh eggs, to avoid the sticking shells.

Vinegar is supposed to keep the egg from running out in case of cracks.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    edited March 2013
    Lisa thought you might find this interesting as presume because some of the rules applicable to the UK are EU rules could be similar for Germany v US??

why American eggs would be illegal in a British supermarket and vice versa

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaarumug ... ice-versa/

btw never seen one of those egg pokey thingys in the UK :P ... but apparently you can buy them from the UK amazon

Oh and hi! :wave:
    Post edited by chime on
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    I don't pick the eggs, just make the water boil heavy, when it does, turn of the heat but leave the eggs on the stove pour out the hot water after maybe 15 min....now perfect-not dry-not too soft :D
    chime wrote:
    Lisa thought you might find this interesting as presume because some of the rules applicable to the UK are EU rules could be similar for Germany v US??

btw never seen one of those egg pokey thingys in the UK :P ... but apparently you can buy them from the UK amazon

Hi back :wave: Wow, never heard of that! And I had my share of eggs with poo poo attached to them in Germany :lol: Never thought about germs, parasites etc ... I guess, in Germany people also rely on the protective cuticle that the hen produces when the egg comes out ... I might ask in the Amish market if they wash their eggs too. I could imagine that the organic eggs are left alone here, but who knows? America seems to be quite obsessed with the danger of germs ...

As for the age of eggs, I read that you should take the eggs out of the fridge about one hour before you cook them. And that the size of the little cavity changes with the age. So maybe older eggs break not so easily because of that?
    As for the peeling, I was taught that you rinse them in ice cold water right after cooking, and that this will make them easier to peel. Works for me.
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    chime wrote:

Hi back :wave: Wow, never heard of that! And I had my share of eggs with poo poo attached to them in Germany :lol: Never thought about germs, parasites etc ... I guess, in Germany people also rely on the protective cuticle that the hen produces when the egg comes out ... I might ask in the Amish market if they wash their eggs too. I could imagine that the organic eggs are left alone here, but who knows? America seems to be quite obsessed with the danger of germs ...

As for the age of eggs, I read that you should take the eggs out of the fridge about one hour before you cook them. And that the size of the little cavity changes with the age. So maybe older eggs break not so easily because of that?
    As for the peeling, I was taught that you rinse them in ice cold water right after cooking, and that this will make them easier to peel. Works for me.
    did you hard boil any yet? what method(s) are you employing?
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Most important egg factoids for me:
    1. Must have this. Eggs w/o this = well....I am not sure. Must have.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMkHktlXJpfaXfsLQJbMNduOT2GWLwITX8NEHhe4y1n_59h-K4zQ

2. Stay away from me for a day after I power down 5-10 of them. For real. :oops:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    DewieCox wrote:
    Put eggs in water, bring to rolling boil, cover for 12 minutes. Rinse in cold water.

I've never heard that the cooking method affects the peels sticking. Always heard you don't want to use fresh eggs, to avoid the sticking shells.

Vinegar is supposed to keep the egg from running out in case of cracks.

We have a dish in Germany that is called "lost eggs", you basically pour the insides of eggs into a sour-ish broth and let them cook. The vinegar in the sauce prevents them from spreading all over the broth, they remain together. Kind of looks like this in the end:
    rezept-verlorene-eier-mit-kraeuter-senf-mayonnaise.jpg Yumm, I might make this soon :think:
    Most important egg factoids for me:

2. Stay away from me for a day after I power down 5-10 of them. For real. :oops:

don't salt the egg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Most important egg factoids for me:

Salt, pepper and mustard are my faves to go with eggs. But I never had 5-10 in one go :shock: That might not be good for your health!

Cav, haven't started yet :wave:
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    We have a dish in Germany that is called "lost eggs", you basically pour the insides of eggs into a sour-ish broth and let them cook. The vinegar in the sauce prevents them from spreading all over the broth, they remain together. Kind of looks like this in the end:
    rezept-verlorene-eier-mit-kraeuter-senf-mayonnaise.jpg Yumm, I might make this soon :think:
    Sounds like American poached eggs!

My German dad (RIP) used to make these, and very well too :P