Options

Oscar Pistorius

Comments

• Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I haven't seen anything legally or factually suggesting that there is something wrong with his mental state (beyond that which leads to any person committing murder). I really don't think that anything suggests he's going to go out and kill again, because what it looks like is a crime of passion. In the US, a lot of people would get out on bail (with the bail being extremely high so most people couldn't pay it anyway).

Well like I mentioned earlier, I'm not too interested in how other people would get out on bail.

Pistorius lacks proper judgment and control, how do we know this? Because whichever way you look at what happened, if he killed his girlfriend knowingly or not...The fact is he pumped 4 bullets into someone.

And someone like that should not be out free, also like I said they should do a drug test, try and see if the roids had something to do with any of this and so on.

It's too early to make a determination that he is not a risk to the public. Who knows, maybe he will snap again and cut a reporter with his 'blades' for asking him if he killed his g/f on purpose. know what I mean?

More info is needed and more tests should be done.

But that is all just my feelings towards this so far.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Idris wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I haven't seen anything legally or factually suggesting that there is something wrong with his mental state (beyond that which leads to any person committing murder). I really don't think that anything suggests he's going to go out and kill again, because what it looks like is a crime of passion. In the US, a lot of people would get out on bail (with the bail being extremely high so most people couldn't pay it anyway).

Well like I mentioned earlier, I'm not too interested in how other people would get out on bail.

Pistorius lacks proper judgment and control, how do we know this? Because whichever way you look at what happened, if he killed his girlfriend knowingly or not...The fact is he pumped 4 bullets into someone.

And someone like that should not be out free, also like I said they should do a drug test, try and see if the roids had something to do with any of this and so on.

It's too early to make a determination that he is not a risk to the public. Who knows, maybe he will snap again and cut a reporter with his 'blades' for asking him if he killed his g/f on purpose. know what I mean?

More info is needed and more tests should be done.

But that is all just my feelings towards this so far.

imagine if it was a child behind that door doing nothing more than having a midnight pee.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    one thing that always bothers me about these cases is that everyone thinks they can figure out guilt or innocence based on assumptions of what you would have done or what you think would make sense in the course of an extremely stressful and chaotic situation that probably lasted about 30 seconds.

is he guilty? probably.

does the fact that he says he didn't know his g/f wasn't in bed next to him make him guilty? no. has that not ever happened to you before? there have been several situations where I've groggily gotten out of bed, and been scared to death upon entering the bathroom and my wife is already in there, not knowing she wasn't next to me in bed (and we sleep in a DOUBLE, not even a queen).

none of the assumptions on what people deem make sense is relevant. the only thing that's relevant, besides an eyewitness account, is physical evidence.
    Yeah, it's all about the physical evidence. If that doesn't disprove his story (as opposed to actually proving it), I don't see how they could confidently convict him, no matter how guilty he seems. There wouldn't be any proof that he did it on purpose.... The witnesses saying there was screaming and yelling going on for a while before the gun fire seems fairly damning though.

Beleive he made statement that he felt vulnerable cause he was on his stubs yet the trajectory of bullets countered that.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    he's giving it his best shot to plead innocent, the cops have fucked this up by all accounts, and i wouldn't be surprised if he was exonerated due to sheer incompetence and cowardliness of the courts system. then again maybe SA wants to avoid and international embarrassment and will do the right thing and find him guilty, which he is. his story doesn't make sense, he said the bedroom door was locked, but earlier he had been in there, bringing in the fan and getting the gun, and later it wasn't locked when he went to get his blades. my god. what a prick.
    the very welcome storm
  • Options
    callen wrote:

Beleive he made statement that he felt vulnerable cause he was on his stubs yet the trajectory of bullets countered that.

if that's the case, I hope he's found guilty.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    he's giving it his best shot to plead innocent, the cops have fucked this up by all accounts, and i wouldn't be surprised if he was exonerated due to sheer incompetence and cowardliness of the courts system. then again maybe SA wants to avoid and international embarrassment and will do the right thing and find him guilty, which he is. his story doesn't make sense, he said the bedroom door was locked, but earlier he had been in there, bringing in the fan and getting the gun, and later it wasn't locked when he went to get his blades. my god. what a prick.
    Hm. I wonder if national embarrassment would be a factor??... it never occurred to me to relate this and S.A.'s reputation... and would it matter?
    You are right - this thing is a shit show is all ways. The just needs a Cochrane-type lawyer and he's possibly golden.... except that it's S.A. To me that's a place that would accommodate a solid episode of Locked Up Abroad. So perhaps shit's just different that what we're all thinking as far as the justice system goes.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited February 2013
    Soooo.... he's been granted bail.

Listened to the magistrate's speech and reading between the lines, bail has been granted mainly because of the bungling police officer first at scene (Botha - who has now been removed) and the 'exceptionality of circumstances' (ie famous and 'using prosthetic legs'). As when it comes to past violence (which is documented) - no solid proof (ie paperwork/cases,etc) were put forward to the magistrate.

Though the magistrate strongly criticised the State's 'case' he did say that the defence case was dodgy too (not in those words obviously). He did say that he was just sorting out a bail hearing and that in the months to come, evidence will be pieced together, etc....

The 'YES' vocalised by Pistorius upon the magistrate giving his decision reminded me of some other trial.....

Interesting to see how this trial will pan out (eventually).
    Post edited by redrock on
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    just read the update on CNN online and at the same time Gorified G is playing on the radio. odd coincidence?
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Trial by judge though, not by jury. So no 'showbiz' trial. I'm sure Pistorius will have the best lawyers money can buy (and we have already had a glimpse of what is to come) but they will not be able to put on a show like those with OJ. No 'common' people for the rich and famous to bedazzle, etc. Just a skeptical judge with a couple of experts.

Now they are discussing the terms of the bail. I would expect Pistorius to lay low until the trial....

Bail only 250.000 Rand????? $28.000???? For an accused of premeditated murder??? Wow... call me cynical but fame and money do speak....

EDIT: Bail now raised to 1million Rand - $112.000. A drop in the ocean for him....

Another edit: It would seem that: 'It was the right decision to make. The magistrate didn't want to take responsibility for his health and care in prison. SA prisons can be quite violent places and his fame and disability would draw attention to him.'

I'd like to say that I really don't care whether he was granted bail or not. But what I am wondering is, if this was some other south african killing his girlfriend in the same circumstances, would he have been granted bail? I think not. Justice is not equal.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    .... But what I am wondering is, if this was some other south african killing his girlfriend in the same circumstances, would he have been granted bail? I think not. Justice is not equal.
    a very good point.

.. i don't know, every time i see images of him i feel he is gloating under all his rich white-boy wealth. i can't help thinking she didn't stand a chance and here he is pleading for his freedom. she seems to have been forgotten in this. i may have missed the more recent reports, but what happened about the bloodied cricket-bat? didn't he say he used it to bash down the door- what, did he accidentally brush it over her head after the door gave way??
    -i guess it will all come out in the trial.
    the very welcome storm
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    leave he pay bail and walks out is bullshit..he must be hold till trial..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    This might be SA OJ trial ... the police are already being accused of messing up ... sound familiar. Don't be surprised if he walks or get a plea deal that gives him minimum jail time ... just saying.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    This might be SA OJ trial ... the police are already being accused of messing up ... sound familiar. Don't be surprised if he walks or get a plea deal that gives him minimum jail time ... just saying.

everyone is relating this to the OJ trial, but I think the similarity stops at it being a celebrity sports star. There is no doubt in this case that he was shooter. I don't know if any amount of police bungling can fuck up this case. I mean, if the trajectory alone doesn't fit his statement, is that not enough to convict the guy? I would think so.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    ^you would think so but it seems SA is still reeling from the fact that their golden girl got shot by their golden boy and by finding him guilty they lose both.
    the very welcome storm
  • Options
    Funny thing is that if I thought that somebody had broken in to our house in the middle of the night, being a man, the first thing I would check would be if my wife/girlfriend was in bed beside me, as she'd be the one that I'd be protecting. Well before I'd be grabbing my gun, and blasting holes through the bathroom door. Legs or no legs!

Send over the rest of OJ's dream team to get this guy off!

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    Funny thing is that if I thought that somebody had broken in to our house in the middle of the night, being a man, the first thing I would check would be if my wife/girlfriend was in bed beside me, as she'd be the one that I'd be protecting. Well before I'd be grabbing my gun, and blasting holes through the bathroom door. Legs or no legs!

In South Africa, because of the huge number of crimes,break-ins etc, to a certain degree, it is a shoot first culture, not 'think' first.

They are gonna have to look at 'motive', why would he want his g/f dead.
  • Options
    Idris wrote:

In South Africa, because of the huge number of crimes,break-ins etc, to a certain degree, it is a shoot first culture, not 'think' first.

They are gonna have to look at 'motive', why would he want his g/f dead.

Why does anybody kill their spouse?????? It is not up to me to make an excuse as to why he shot her, that is up to him. If the shoot first (ala the US) works then hey, let it fly. Can't deny the people who have heard them at each others throats on other occasions.

Can you imagine living in a shoot first culture? Fucking sad, man, very, very, sad!

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    Can you imagine living in a shoot first culture? Fucking sad, man, very, very, sad!

Personally, I can. I lived in South Africa for a handful of years as a teenager, right near the end of Apartheid. When some areas/places still said/read "whites only", not long after apartheid fell, the crime boomed, highest murder rates, rapes and carjackings.

In fact the home I was living in with my family was robbed, I was in class, my sister was home and some 4-5 armed thugs tied her up, dragged her around the house with tape wrapped around her face/mouth and her hands bound. I've had friends killed and their families all to ready to shoot whoever they think is guilty etc etc etc
    -

I'm not defending Oscar, just saying that what he did, has been done before (on some level) and people have gotten away with 'murder'. 'just' or not.

This is the reality, a very sad reality.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    Well, I think his story doesn't make sense, but my mom actually thinks his story is perfectly believable (although not necessarily true). And my mom's not an idiot, so I guess I'm going to admit that maybe his story isn't as ridiculous as I first thought, since some reasonable people do seem to think that it's possible it happened the way he's saying it did?? I guess. :| My mom's first thought was related to where he lives and how him freaking out isn't unfeasible there, given the fear of crime.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Idris wrote:

Personally, I can. I lived in South Africa for a handful of years as a teenager, right near the end of Apartheid. When some areas/places still said/read "whites only", not long after apartheid fell, the crime boomed, highest murder rates, rapes and carjackings.

In fact the home I was living in with my family was robbed, I was in class, my sister was home and some 4-5 armed thugs tied her up, dragged her around the house with tape wrapped around her face/mouth and her hands bound. I've had friends killed and their families all to ready to shoot whoever they think is guilty etc etc etc
    -

I'm not defending Oscar, just saying that what he did, has been done before (on some level) and people have gotten away with 'murder'. 'just' or not.

I listened to the news where they have compared Oscar's shooting with a couple of high profile others and to me it still does not add up. Like I mentioned earlier, if you sleep beside the one you love, I think you'd notice them not in bed when you got up. And best case scenario you actually ask who is behind the door before you pull the trigger. I know that may not add up for the gun toters on the board but what do they know.

• Options
    Like I mentioned earlier, if you sleep beside the one you love, I think you'd notice them not in bed when you got up. And best case scenario you actually ask who is behind the door before you pull the trigger. I know that may not add up for the gun toters on the board but what do they know.

Don't take what I said as a defense of Pistorious, just go back a page and read what I posted about him and the case of what we know about it at this point.
    -

You think you would notice a loved one not next to you when you get up, but you don't know for sure if you would in that same situation unless you are in that same situation in a place with that dangerous history. 'Obviously' nothing that happened was a 'best case scenario', (I'm referencing you here)..The question is 'why' did it go down the way it did.

and this part
    I know that may not add up for the gun toters on the board but what do they know

I dunno what you are talking about here.
  • Options
    Idris wrote:
    You think you would notice a loved one not next to you when you get up, but you don't know for sure if you would in that same situation unless you are in that same situation in a place with that dangerous history. 'Obviously' nothing that happened was a 'best case scenario', (I'm referencing you here)..The question is 'why' did it go down the way it did.

this is exactly the point I made a while ago.........that I've gotten out of bed myself all groggily to go for a wizz.....and ended up getting scared to death by my wife as I entered the bathroom, not knowing she wasn't in bed beside me.

it's entirely plausible that someone would, in a state of being startled out of bed by a possible intruder in pitch black, living where he does, rocket out of bed without noticing his spouse is not next to him.

remember, truth and beyond a reasonable doubt are two completely different things.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Idris wrote:

-

I listened to the news where they have compared Oscar's shooting with a couple of high profile others and to me it still does not add up. Like I mentioned earlier, if you sleep beside the one you love, I think you'd notice them not in bed when you got up. And best case scenario you actually ask who is behind the door before you pull the trigger. I know that may not add up for the gun toters on the board but what do they know.

In any case you have a deadly weapon in your hand, aren't you supposed to identify your target BEFORE inflicting deadly force. In my case i have see my target before i will squeeze a trigger. For all one knows it could be a dog behind that bathroom door.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    In any case you have a deadly weapon in your hand, aren't you supposed to identify your target BEFORE inflicting deadly force. In my case i have see my target before i will squeeze a trigger. For all one knows it could be a dog behind that bathroom door.

Peace

right on, that is what we are supposed to do. But sadly in the world we live in, most people do not do what they are 'supposed' to do. They make decisions based on emotions.
  • Options
    UPDATE on the 'substance' found in his home.

JOHANNESBURG (AP) -- Oscar Pistorius' representatives have named the substance found in his bedroom after the shooting death of his girlfriend as Testis compositum and said Wednesday it is an herbal remedy used "in aid of muscle recovery."

South African police said during Pistorius' bail hearing that they found needles in Pistorius' bedroom along with the substance, which they initially named as testosterone. Prosecutors later withdrew that statement identifying the substance and said it had been sent for laboratory tests and couldn't be named until those tests were completed.

A U.S. subsidiary, Heel USA Inc., markets the product in tablet form only and spokeswoman Joan Sullivan said she didn't know if injectable versions are sold in other countries. Heel USA's website says the product provides temporary relief for men's "sexual weakness" and lack of stamina.

The U.S.-sold tablets contain 23 ingredients, including pig testicles, pig heart, pig embryo and pig adrenal gland, cortisone, ginseng and other botanicals. It also contains several minerals, according to a list Sullivan provided.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OLY_PISTORIUS_SUBSTANCE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
  • Options
    "Idris wrote:
    right on, that is what we are supposed to do. But sadly in the world we live in, most people do not do what they are 'supposed' to do. They make decisions based on emotions.

I guess this answers your own question from a few posts up on "why would he want his g/f dead"? ;)

• Options
    I'm sure it did, as I was generally speaking from about 3 differnt sides trying to tie them together in some form.

Also I'm sorry if I came across a bit harsh towards you or anyone else, that was not my inetention.
  • Options
    Idris wrote:
    I'm sure it did, as I was generally speaking from about 3 differnt sides trying to tie them together in some form.

Also I'm sorry if I came across a bit harsh towards you or anyone else, that was not my inetention.

Emotions make this train roll. Don't sweat it.

• Options
    Oscar Pistorious is going to get away with this, is my prediction, even though his own testimony damns him. Didn't he say he called out to warn whoever was in the toilet, yelling at them to 'get out of (my) house' ?? So Reeva sat on the loo asleep, or indifferent to the fact that her man was freaking out vocally on the other side of the door? I don't care what country you live in, if that was me I'd be yelling back asking if he was ok :fp:
    ...and, I believe I read in his affidavit that he said he began calling out to the toilet from the time he grabbed his gun in the bedroom, ample time for her to respond i would think.

Imo there is enough damning him, but yes 'beyond reasonable doubt' and it seems the charisma within the testimony of those who knew him is serving him well

edit: i just read my own post and the horror struck me that maybe she heard him calling out and thinking there was indeed an intruder elsewhere in the house, she remained silent. omg, as i said- it all damns him but is yet inconclusive, bugger.
    the very welcome storm
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Idris wrote:

this is exactly the point I made a while ago.........that I've gotten out of bed myself all groggily to go for a wizz.....and ended up getting scared to death by my wife as I entered the bathroom, not knowing she wasn't in bed beside me.

it's entirely plausible that someone would, in a state of being startled out of bed by a possible intruder in pitch black, living where he does, rocket out of bed without noticing his spouse is not next to him.

remember, truth and beyond a reasonable doubt are two completely different things.
    Want to give Oscar the benefit of the doubt and also thought about getting up groggy and stumbling to bathroom to take a wiz. But the more I think about it…once he heard the noise and consciously picked up his gun, took it off safety, his heart had to be pumping and he wasn’t groggy anymore. Also if I heard something, the first thing I would do is reach over and touch my GF to make sure she is there, safe and also ready to defend herself..not leaving her asleep as I go blast through a closed door. Is it not instinct to get the other humans in your group to help defend? Wonder if they can tell how long she was alive after the first bullet struck…..so she could scream and Oscar would know it was her. The whole thing just doesn’t’ make sense, regardless of the crime rate in SA. Will be interesting to see what happens. I think there is a chance he skips town.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG