Spirit Airllines: Is there a Standing Room Only option?

Comments

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,778
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    it was $187 roundtrip for me from nyc to chi last week and I couldnt pull the trigger :lol: I imagined chickens in crates and such on this airline

Is that a problem if they are securely fastened on your lap?

Haha they can sit where they like....I didnt get the noise cancelling Bose headphones, otherwise I'd be all in :lol:

Is there smoking on these flights like the 80's as I remember.....for that leg room, at least let me light up If I need too
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    You should be doing this instead: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=202378&start=15
    So, I booked my flight to Wrigley on Spirit Air.

$148 each way. Woot!

But then, they charge $25 for a carryon, or $20 to check a bag.

Holy crap!

And, this is what slays me, you have to pay for your seat!

$10, $15, $20 or $25, depending on whether you're in steerage or (it seems) toward the front of the plane or in the emergency exit row.

Holy steaming crap!

So I turned to Wikipedia, and read that Spirit Air is an "ultra low-cost carrier" and is the only 2 (out of 5) star rated carrier in the AmericaS. Both continents, and all those countries in between.

I'm blaming Dissidentman, who is my travel buddy for this show. For one, it was his idea.

And he said innocently, "I'm only bringing a small backpack." (If it fits under the seat, it's free.)

So anybody else have experience with Spirit Air?

Do we need to bring parachutes and other safety equipment? (And if we do, D-man, you are on your own. You're not storing your fire extinguisher in my overhead-checked bag.)
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    kw18 wrote:

That would be great...
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    kw18 wrote:

That would be great...

yeah, I can give you a ride
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

That would be great...

yeah, I can give you a ride

I've heard that before!
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    Good luck! All it makes me think of is this:
    http://youtu.be/F6TFW1F6oY0

I'm guessing they probably don't use that song in their commercials :lol:
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    kw18 wrote:

That would be great...

#dirtyfranking is the way to go....
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Well, I'm thinking that if we survive the flight, the experience will likely be full of comic potential.

I'm thinking we have several drinks at the airport bar, get on the flight, Kevin then falls asleep and I take a series of amusing photos of him, drooling with his mouth open.

Thread gold, baby.

Or, alternatively, I spend the entire flight with my hands digging into his forearm saying "Why are those wing flaps up? STAYSEA said the were stuck up on her entire flight!"

And then he responds, "Hey, at least the wing is still attached."

I'm getting the impression that Spirit is the airliner version of the Fung Wah bus.

:shock:
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Just make sure when you look out the window of the plane that the person holding the handle with the two strings attached to the plane doesn't let go ;)

23_2009.gif
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Just make sure when you look out the window of the plane that the person holding the handle with the two strings attached to the plane doesn't let go ;)

23_2009.gif

Wait, I think I know her. She was at the EV preparty in Providence, wasn't she?

:lol:
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    Well, I'm thinking that if we survive the flight, the experience will likely be full of comic potential.

I'm thinking we have several drinks at the airport bar, get on the flight, Kevin then falls asleep and I take a series of amusing photos of him, drooling with his mouth open.

Thread gold, baby.

Or, alternatively, I spend the entire flight with my hands digging into his forearm saying "Why are those wing flaps up? STAYSEA said the were stuck up on her entire flight!"

I'm getting the impression that Spirit is the airliner version of the Fung Wah bus.

If that is the case, only the wheels will fall off. Flight will be fine - landing might get rough.
  • Just make sure when you look out the window of the plane that the person holding the handle with the two strings attached to the plane doesn't let go ;)

23_2009.gif

No,in Boston...She was with you and ALL of the Scotsmen...
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Awesome posts!!!! Love it!!!! We're flying spirit from NYC to Chicago! Can't wait. God I hope my gf doesn't read your guys posts about spirit cuz I handled all the trip planning. Can't wait to see how this all works out! :corn:
    I'm sure we will all be fine.

Police_Check_Spirit_Airlines_Plane_101940000_20121119122853_320_240.JPG
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,675
    Just make sure when you look out the window of the plane that the person holding the handle with the two strings attached to the plane doesn't let go ;)

23_2009.gif

No,in Boston...She was with you and ALL of the Scotsmen...
    They took turns checking under kilts.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632

Thread gold, baby.

don't forget to bring a sharpie so you can draw on his forhead
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Thread gold, baby.

don't forget to bring a sharpie so you can draw on his forhead

Thank you, no.

;)
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    Worst. Airline. Ever. Like most in this thread have said, the original price for the flight is very deceiving. You have to pay extra for EVERYTHING. They won't even give you water or coffee for free. I'm shocked they don't charge you to take a piss. And ZERO leg room. I'm 6'2 and it was the most uncomfortable flight I have have been on. Never again.

He said it Best!

Never again!

Alternatively, if you get the chance to fly on Virgin airlines, You are in for a treat. Virgin is amazing. Free video games, Free movies, Free Cable. Every seat is exactly like the seats in first class, and they all recline. The ceilings have fiber optic lighting... :D
    STAYSEA wrote:

Never again!

I look forward to saying this after my 1st Spirit experience...
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    All the airlines have changed so since we haven't been traveling in a couple years
    heard on the news Airtran is now matching Deltas bag fees...
    in cahoots they are.
  • Survived my day trip to Detroit from LaGuardia on the old Spirit straight-through flight round trip.

Honestly, this was the worst experience I have had on a flight where I was not so hung-over that I was actually wishing for the plane to crash. (Coming back from Vegas and New Orleans most times...seems like at least 1x per year I board a flight wishing my body would stop hurting so much....damn booze and 4 night benders! :D )

Seriously though I have flown hundreds of times over the past 20 years -- lived out of a suitcase for years working national sales accounts. Spirit sucks balls. On the flight out the seats didn't recline, were made for people 4 1/2 feet tall and there was no leg room. I actually felt OK about the flight there -- under 2 hours so bearable.

The return flight was another story. The plane was considerably older (think 1980s plane), even smaller, and I was stuck between a Mr Eko from Lost look-a-like who apparently had not bathed in 2 weeks and an old guy who looked like he worked a 4 day shift prior to getting on the flight. I said hello and neither one said anything back. (?)
    The leg room was even less and poor Mr Eko couldn't fit in his seat so he had his arm rest up and spilled out over into my seat. (He was a giant of a guy, I felt badly for him being so big and flying on Spirit -- but he still should have taken a shower!) So while I am just under 6 feet and badly fitting into my seat I have Mr Eko taking up a third or my seat. The guy to my right was about my size (thankfully) but the battle of the odors made for a long, long flight.
    The row of seats in front of me had an aisle seat with no arm rest....but that didn't stop them from putting a poor lady in the aisle seat as the flight was full. The decades old plane did not like the turbulence and we bounced up and down the whole flight - enough so that the woman seated directly in front of me and her small child to the left of her both threw up multiple times.
    Seriously.

End result, for me, is that I will never personally book a flight on Spirit Airlines if there is any way around it. This was a work trip and I asked my boss to do whatever possible to avoid them in the future. If you have an option to pay a few hundred more for a flight it is worth it. I wouldn't go so far as to say I was rooting for the plane to fall from the sky on the flight back but I was thinking that if I had to go anytime in the near future that rather than a heart attack or car crash it would be good to end right then. (jk, I wouldn't want to take Mr Eko, Stinky, Puking Mom, and Puking Child with me!)

Have fun on Spirit! :wave:

flying them for the first time next week from NY to Detroit and back on a day trip for work. Direct and dirt cheap. Already planned on it being miserable, as long as I live I am cool with it.
    Figured paying extra for the parachute was pointless. :lol:

Also, paid high $300s for direct on SWA from Philly to Chicago for the show. Not too bad a price and provided I live through Spirit next week I will enjoy it!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • :lol:

Fuck that shit

Paying for a drink

:lol::lol::lol:
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    there has been a handful of threads bitching this airline out. i shared a story in one a while back, and it's too good to not mention again.

was flying them from NYC to aruba a couple summers ago. the plane started rolling away from the gate, came to an abrupt stop, rolled back to the gate. a few minutes passed and the captain announced that the plane doesn't have enough fuel to make it to aruba, so they had have to refuel before we take off.

WE ALMOST TOOK OFF WITH NOT ENOUGH FUEL IN THE PLANE.

it was about a 60 minute delay and sure enough a large shell oil truck rolled up to the side of the plane, fueled us up and we finally took off.

isn't fuel a major check list item? pilot? copilot? fuel?

WHAT THE FUCK :lol: :fp:
  • rival. wrote:
    there has been a handful of threads bitching this airline out. i shared a story in one a while back, and it's too good to not mention again.

was flying them from NYC to aruba a couple summers ago. the plane started rolling away from the gate, came to an abrupt stop, rolled back to the gate. a few minutes passed and the captain announced that the plane doesn't have enough fuel to make it to aruba, so they had have to refuel before we take off.

it was about a 60 minute delay and sure enough a large shell oil truck rolled up to the side of the plane, fueled us up and we finally took off.

WHAT?

That is scary!
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    rival. wrote:

:shock: :shock:

1845_0.jpg

(The needle is now below "E". Rick is looking at it)

RICK: Is it just the angle I’m looking from?

KRAMER: No, Sir. We are down there.

RICK: Oh, this is amazing! Oh, I’ve never felt so alive!

KRAMER: All right, I’m satisfied. We better get some gas.

RICK: What? Well, we can’t stop now.
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    rival. wrote:

Sweet Zombie Jesus! Well, at least you know the airline would have gotten you to the sea. The shore, however, not so much.

:fp:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:
    [Sweet Zombie Jesus! Well, at least you know the airline would have gotten you to the sea. The shore, however, not so much.

:fp:

not many places to make an emergency landing in the middle of the atlantic!
    afroannnie wrote:
    :shock: :shock:

1845_0.jpg

(The needle is now below "E". Rick is looking at it)

RICK: Is it just the angle I’m looking from?

KRAMER: No, Sir. We are down there.

RICK: Oh, this is amazing! Oh, I’ve never felt so alive!

KRAMER: All right, I’m satisfied. We better get some gas.

RICK: What? Well, we can’t stop now.

:lol::clap:
  • rival. wrote:

Holy fuck. Just when I thought this piece of shit airline couldn't get any worse.
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    rival. wrote:

I am not shocked at that. This airline is a joke. I'm never afraid to fly, and I freaked out both times I had to use Spirit. How is this legal? :o