Spirit Airllines: Is there a Standing Room Only option?

unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
So, I booked my flight to Wrigley on Spirit Air.

$148 each way. Woot!

But then, they charge $25 for a carryon, or $20 to check a bag.

Holy crap!

And, this is what slays me, you have to pay for your seat!

$10, $15, $20 or $25, depending on whether you're in steerage or (it seems) toward the front of the plane or in the emergency exit row.

Holy steaming crap!

So I turned to Wikipedia, and read that Spirit Air is an "ultra low-cost carrier" and is the only 2 (out of 5) star rated carrier in the AmericaS. Both continents, and all those countries in between.

I'm blaming Dissidentman, who is my travel buddy for this show. For one, it was his idea.

And he said innocently, "I'm only bringing a small backpack." (If it fits under the seat, it's free.)

So anybody else have experience with Spirit Air?

Do we need to bring parachutes and other safety equipment? (And if we do, D-man, you are on your own. You're not storing your fire extinguisher in my overhead-checked bag.)
15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    My condolances. I only wish i was a pilot with my own plane and could fly to boston to pick you and your traveling companion up. If it's not to late, perhaps you can drive, and bring the boat.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    that's the spirit!
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I took Spirit once out of AC to FLA and back and I hope I never have to use them again.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • jasonjason Posts: 468
    I have never flown Spirit Airlines, but I know a friend who goes from MN to Chicago and loves it. Now granted its a short flight so not a huge deal. I have looked into Spirit and the discount prices are quite deceptive. Its cheap if you go for the day type thing, so pack light. If you want a seat with more leg room (heard its worth it) its like $30 a person. Otherwise I heard the seats are VERY tight. Then you need to pay for a beverage, carry on bags, window seats, etc..... so it adds up. Then I have read that the on-time debate and sounds like they are rarely are on-time and don't really care. I guess the customer service is poor, but what airline is really helpful.

If its cheaper, UPS your clothes to your destination than carry it on the plane. Sometimes its cheaper. If not, just know you are going to see PJ and what an adventure you went on. I just hope you are leaving before Friday.

See you in Wrigley, but would love to read a review as who knows what to believe in reading Spirit Airline reviews. Good luck!
  • I've booked on Spirit Airlines for the Wrigley trip too! I got $198 r/t from Dallas to Chicago O'Hare and couldn't pass it up. Like you, I was astounded at all the 'extras' you had to pay for...and like you, am planning on just bringing a backpack I can slip under the seat.

I found this online and made me feel better after I booked the trip...

http://www.onlinetravelreview.com/2011/01/04/a-spirit-airlines-survival-guide/
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

06/26/2011 - EV - Detroit, MI
    09/03 and 09/04/2011 PJ20 - Alpine Valley
    06/20 and 06/21/2012 - PJ - Manchester, UK
    11/13 and 11/16/2012 - EV - Houston, TX and Dallas, TX
    07/29/2013 - PJ - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL

11/15/2013 - PJ - Dallas, TX
    11/16/2013 - PJ - Oklahoma City, OK
    10/03/2014 - PJ - St. Louis, MO
    10/08/2014 - PJ - Tulsa, OK
    10/12/2014 - PJ - ACL Festival, Austin, TX
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    norm wrote:
    that's the spirit!

:lol:

Norm's wit shines thru once again. :clap:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,780

$148 each way. Woot!

Holy crap!

$10, $15, $20 or $25, depending on whether you're in steerage or (it seems) toward the front of the plane or in the emergency exit row.

Holy steaming crap!

So I turned to Wikipedia, and read that Spirit Air is an "ultra low-cost carrier" and is the only 2 (out of 5) star rated carrier in the AmericaS. Both continents, and all those countries in between.

I'm blaming Dissidentman, who is my travel buddy for this show. For one, it was his idea.

And he said innocently, "I'm only bringing a small backpack." (If it fits under the seat, it's free.)

Do we need to bring parachutes and other safety equipment? (And if we do, D-man, you are on your own. You're not storing your fire extinguisher in my overhead-checked bag.)

People have recommened this to me as well. (Comebackgirl ;) ) If it's that cheap I may use it as well, not sure, yet. I still have a few months o go, right?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    have fun, they also have the least legroom out of any airline in the biz (yes with a z).

gty_airplane_seating_mr_128020_wblog1.jpg?w=478&h=269
  • flying them for the first time next week from NY to Detroit and back on a day trip for work. Direct and dirt cheap. Already planned on it being miserable, as long as I live I am cool with it.
    Figured paying extra for the parachute was pointless. :lol:

Also, paid high $300s for direct on SWA from Philly to Chicago for the show. Not too bad a price and provided I live through Spirit next week I will enjoy it!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,780
    flying them for the first time next week from NY to Detroit and back on a day trip for work. Direct and dirt cheap. Already planned on it being miserable, as long as I live I am cool with it.

Also, paid high $300s for direct on SWA from Philly to Chicago for the show. Not too bad a price and provided I live through Spirit next week I will enjoy it!

Why didn't you do Spirit for the philly to Chicago?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    NEVER skimp on air travel. You may as well fly on a Russian jetliner.

2 out of 5 stars???? Holy Shit!
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • flying them for the first time next week from NY to Detroit and back on a day trip for work. Direct and dirt cheap. Already planned on it being miserable, as long as I live I am cool with it.

Why didn't you do Spirit for the philly to Chicago?

I dont think they do direct from Philly to Chicago and I wanted direct. It didn't come up in the searches I did so it wasn't under consideration. With the damn luggage my wife drags everywhere Southwest's 2 bags for free makes up a bunch on the price as well. I was pleased with the flights we got....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995

$148 each way. Woot!

Holy crap!

Holy steaming crap!

Oh boy...you have to pay for a carry on and it's more than a checked bag? :?
    Well hopefully everything goes smoothly! And I hope Kevin turns out to be a great traveling companion. :corn:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Will Kevin be needing any rice krispie treats?

:corn:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182

$148 each way. Woot!

Holy crap!

Holy steaming crap!

I sent my daughter on Spirit Airlines for Christmas from Fl to MD. I too was shocked with all the add ons. They was no charge for a checked bag but they were charging $45 for 1 carry $65 for 2. After the $45 charge I wasn't going any higher, consolidated her backpack and told her to shove it under the seat.....it worked. For some reason she didn't pay for any add on on her return and the flight cost was $198, Non stop round trip. So if you are desperate just hide your carry on cause once you get to your gate it appears no one is checking whether or not you paid for your carry on. I think that works best when the airport is packed.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    edited February 2013

$148 each way. Woot!

Holy crap!

Holy steaming crap!

OMG!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

I'm 4'10" tall and I don't have any leg room! And, I can sit comfortably in the smallest spaces. What I am concerned with is the Pilots they hire and the planes' structural, and mechanical integrity.

Last time I flew on that airline (not a joke), The flaps on the right wing were stuck upright the entire flight.
    On a scale of 1 to 10 ... 1 is the worst and ten is the best (Virgin). I give spirit a negative 5. I know they have the cheapest flights, but will I live through the flight? Don't expect to be comfortable, feel safe or use the bathroom. Expect to pay for everything even water, Pack lightly, almost no room for carry-on, and have a stiff drink at the airport lobby after you land. Good Luck FRIEND!!!

Some airlines offer stand by tickets. You just show up at the airport early in the morning. When the airlines have leftover seats they offer them at a very low price. It's a waiting game, but you can really get a great price.
    Post edited by STAYSEA on
    rival. wrote:
    have fun, they also have the least legroom out of any airline in the biz (yes with a z).

gty_airplane_seating_mr_128020_wblog1.jpg?w=478&h=269

How did you get that picture? I flew with a guy that is almost 7 feet tall and almost 300 pounds. He was not happy, and had to stand in the back of the plane most of the flight. This airline sucks!!!!!! I wouldn't be surprised to find out the planes are made out of hot glue and some aluminum foil.

At least the seats are clean in that picture?
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    500px-Airplane!_movie2.png
    STAYSEA wrote:

$148 each way. Woot!

Holy crap!

Holy steaming crap!

OMG!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

I'm 4'10" tall
    :shock:
    Shut it! I'm not a midget, or have any growing disorder things.
    I'm just a shrimp.

I feel like I contribute because I'm space efficient. I can be 4' 11' on good days? I know there are petite people like me here. Spirit isn't comfortable for a small lady! That is my point. I'm not very big and my knees hurt from pressing against the seat in front. Who designed the seating? It sure as heck wasn't someone as big as me! I'm thinking a Hobbit?

Just for the record... I'm too tall to be a professional Horse Jockey race person. If you want to see tiny people... Go bet on those horses. :cry:
    Just playin'.
    Just playin'.

You better be!
    8-)
  • Funny, I'd never even heard of this airline until today when my sister told me it was the worst she'd ever flown and to never use them. Crowded seats with no leg room, ridiculous add ons for just about everything and the plane looked like it was put together with bailing wire and bubble gum. My 6'7" nephew could barely get into his seat.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    Funny, I'd never even heard of this airline until today when my sister told me it was the worst she'd ever flown and to never use them. Crowded seats with no leg room, ridiculous add ons for just about everything and the plane looked like it was put together with bailing wire and bubble gum. My 6'7" nephew could barely get into his seat.

Seriously , We speak the TRUTH!!!!!

PLease don't fly this airline

I am not bragging but Most of my family are Nasa Rocket scientists. I know a Thing or two about flights. Don't use Spirit. I will not talk about this any more. LOOK at your pilot ?
  • Worst. Airline. Ever. Like most in this thread have said, the original price for the flight is very deceiving. You have to pay extra for EVERYTHING. They won't even give you water or coffee for free. I'm shocked they don't charge you to take a piss. And ZERO leg room. I'm 6'2 and it was the most uncomfortable flight I have have been on. Never again.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Kevin will have some beverages in the airport, then fall sound asleep on Trisha's shoulder for the 2 hour flight. I may just carry on a parachute and not a change of clothes. It seems if the parachute fits under my seat, I can carry it on for free.

You keep those treats away from me - I thought I was going to be arrested, detained and questioned like a spy that day!
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    They sound like Ryanair, only a lot more expensive. At least with Ryanair you can fly Ireland to mainland Europe for 50 euro.
  • We flew with them for I think 25 bucks a person from Detroit to Chicago. I thought it was a very neat deal, but Cav was a member in their 9 fare club. It was perfect for a weekend trip - we are both tall people, but the flight was about an hour, so that was okay. We went wth almost empty backpacks and returned with full ones and didn't have to pay extra. Going by car would have taken at least 5 hours.
    I think for distances like this it is okay. I wouldn't want to do an oversea trip with them though...

And as for luggage ... Go with as little as possible and send the stuff you bought in Chi back home by mail :)
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,778
    it was $187 roundtrip for me from nyc to chi last week and I couldnt pull the trigger :lol: I imagined chickens in crates and such on this airline
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    it was $187 roundtrip for me from nyc to chi last week and I couldnt pull the trigger :lol: I imagined chickens in crates and such on this airline

Is that a problem if they are securely fastened on your lap?