Options

*** Newcastle Fanviews Here 19/11/06 ***

Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
edited November 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
~

Opening Band: Kings of Leon

Pearl Jam: Alive, Life Wasted, Severed Hand, Save You, Insignificance, Unemployable, Brain of J., Red Mosquito, Given To Fly, Last Exit, Hail Hail, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Better Man, Daughter / (War), Whipping, Leatherman, Down, Do The Evolution, Undone, Rearviewmirror

1st Encore: Thumbing My Way, Masters of War, Footsteps, Crown of Thorns, Alone, Even Flow

2nd Encore: Corduroy, Fuckin' Up, Rockin' In The Free World, Yellow Ledbetter / (Little Wing)

This thread is reserved for the lucky fans that were there.

Please post here only if you were in attendance.

Set list source: tenclub.net and sonymusic.com

~
The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
Verona??? it's all surmountable
Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
Wembley? We all believe!
Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
Chicago 07? And love
What a different life
Had I not found this love with you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,309
    OH MY GOD that was fantastic! I only arrived in Australia at 10am and had to get my arse on a train to Newcastle pretty soon after that to find my hotel but I managed to make it to the Premier for a few drinks with everyone so it was all good.

The band sounded fuckin waesome last night. When Ed joined KOL for Slow Night So Long I thought I was going to pass out!
    I'd never been to a seated gig before so I was a bit apprehensive but I was jumping around even if I was getting some 'looks' from the boring buggers next to me!
    Before I got here I didn't know who Mark Richards was (sorry, but i'm from Wales and can't surf so...) but that is a man who knows how to choose a setlist, that's for sure ;-) Alone, Footsteps, Masters of War, Crown of Thorns (almost as good as the Reading Fest version I thought), Little Wing.... the man should choose all PJ setlists!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    aus_suzaus_suz Posts: 9,364
    Everything about Newcastle rocked......
    The Pre-show
    The poster
    The seats
    The ppl at the show
    The setlist
    How could u better this?........
    Its hard to believe that I was there ......

As Ed said its more like a party.....:)

Did I mention I got a smile and guitar pic from Mike....:)
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    They are doing a great job of rocking out this country. The setlists have all been terrific, PJ have been surpassing their previous tours and you just wonder if it can get any better. They've played a fine repertoire of songs over these nights, I'm amazed with some of the favourite songs of mine that I've finally heard live. May they continue on for the next 10 years at least!
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Does anybody realize that was only the SECOND FUCKING TIME THEY'VE PLAYED "UNDONE"!?! I'm so jealous, that's one of my favorite PJ tunes.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    I know that this is supposed to be for people that were there, so forgive me but DAMN!!! I might have to buy this one. Opening with Alive is crazy. There are a TON of rarities. Insignificance, Brain of J., Red Mosquito, Daughter (War), Leatherman, Down, Undone (only second time played ever), Thumbing My Way, Masters of War, Footsteps, Alone, Ledbetter w/ Little Wing??? I think I just blew a load reading this set list
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    LedZepFan wrote:
    Does anybody realize that was only the SECOND FUCKING TIME THEY'VE PLAYED "UNDONE"!?! I'm so jealous, that's one of my favorite PJ tunes.

and i saw the first time on my 27th birthday :)
  • Options
    OHHHH SO very special
    The pre show, the show
    woow wow wow. Im so lucky.
    thanks to all who helped get em to my home town.
    I was so happy they were coming to newcastle, and then For a show like we got. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Mark, not only do you make the best damn boards in the world ( onto my 3rd custom shaped MR) you are a true gentleman and a great setlist writer.
    AND YES I AGREE WITH YOU " pearl jam are the best fucking band in the world"
    Eddie was so exited. Im so goddam happy.
    thankyou thank you
    well done newy youve done us proud ( yet again)
    the pre show raised 4 thoasand dollars
    thank you the fans as well
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Even at Melb 3 and Sydney 3, the talk was all around the Newcastle gig amongst the touring party- something big was going to happen. And boy, did it what?

I'm not going to pick a highlight song in the show itself. I just can't. If I do have to point out a particularly brilliant part of the show, it's the sheer joy all around me in the 10c section as the show went on. The faces all around, before, during and after the show. There's no place I'd rather be.

To our three core petitioners- thank you. I couldn't find you guys after the show, but if I did, I'd have given the 3 of you a big kiss. The thought of dry humping did cross my mind, but I don't think you guys would've enjoyed that too much :) . To Mark Richards- we are forever indebted to you.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    The newy show absolutely rocked. As everyone has already said - set list was awesome, band was awesome (as usual) and the crowd was great. I was five rows from the stage in front of Stone and it absolutely went off! As Ed said - Take a bow Newcastle!
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Oh yeah, Ed came out again for Slow Night So Long with KOL.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    What a fuckin amazing setlist...OMG! How can the guys always surpass their previous shows??? Unbelievable!!!
    BTW
    Was it a soldout show???
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    ramborambo Posts: 170
    awsome set
    st. john's newfoundland, sept 24/2005
    st. john's newfoundland, sept. 25/2005
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Posted the below in the newcastle setlist thread - probably belongs here....

amazing amazing show last night. seats were 4th row dead centre and i will forever remember hearing songs like UNDONE, alone, crown of thorns and masters of war for the first time ever in newcastle....

thank you to the guys who organised this - how funny was it when ed remarked on your "shit seats"!??!

thank you MR.... you are a legend of surfing and australia. loved it when you left the stage after shouting into ed's microphone "this is the best fucking band in the world" - couldnt have said it better myself! thank you for writing a fantastic set list!

thank you newcastle for your 6500 seat tin shed/barn entertainment centre... ed got it right when he said that "it feels more like a party than a show in here".

thank you to the fans in the 10club section. we went off (if i do say so myself). the sing along that was started in daughter pre ed's tag was sensational and impressed everyone - including the band!

finally thankyou pearl jam - 7 shows this tour and they have all been amazing. topped off by last nights show where a whole list of songs on my must see list got crossed off! everyone seems to be having so much fun on this tour - smiles and funky dance moves from all! plus, ed the comedian.... after the first encore of Thumbing My Way, Masters Of War, Footsteps, Crown Of Thorns, Alone ed says "and here is another one none of you have ever heard".... or something along those lines - before banging into even flow. funny bastard!

my pearl jam virgin friend was so pumped all the way home to sydney. she couldnt get over the amount of people around us who were hugging/high fiving/laughing/crying all the way through the set. i always feel proud to be a pearl jam freak but last night i was especially proud - well done newcastle!

thank you all - and have fun adelaide/perth and hawaii - you are all about to see the greatest band in the world at, quite possibly, the height of their live career!
  • Options
    Have you ever been someplace where something great is happening, and you can’t believe you are lucky enough to be there… that was last night. It is a day later and I am still stunned. I wrote that yesterday in the Newcastle set list thread, but I am still stunned, I can’t believe I was there.

How many did that arena hold? 7000 maybe. I was 13th row on the floor dead center with my fiancée (her 5th PJ show) and a friend from Newcastle (his 1st PJ show ). When the show started at 8:30 I thought it was a little early, didn’t know they were planning a marathon. Everything was a highlight, but personally I was ecstatic to hear Red Mosquito, Down, Masters of War, Footsteps, Crown of Thorns and Fuckin’ Up.

Ed said the names of the three guys who started the petition to get PJ to Newey. They all stood up to a huge applause. From the bottom of my heart thank you to those three for being so instrumental in creating such a memorable night. Ed also made a joke during the first set about how they told everybody Newcastle was “a terrible disgusting dump” (something along those lines, can’t remember the exact quote) so that they can keep it all to themselves (for those who don’t know it is a beautiful costal town with great scenery and beaches… we even saw dolphins swimming that afternoon which if you grew up in a land locked place like I did is really, really cool). Mark Richards (pro surfer, Newcastle native and set list architect extraordinaire) was introduced before the second encore. Before that you could see him off stage rocking along with the band. He drank from Ed’s wine and said to the crowd “is this the best band in the world or what?”. Ed even named the show after him. The House lights came on at 10:45 during Corduroy and the band just kept on playing. Littlewing was awesome. The 10c section was fantastic. It was such a small venue. Ed said it best right before the second encore when he said “feels more like a party in here than a concert”. Drove back to Sydney after the show with a smile on my face the entire way, and two days later that smile is still there.

Between the all around energy of Sydney 3 and the set list of Newcastle, I am strained to think of a better weekend.

Thanks PJ for the great memories.
    Portland 98; Charlotte 00; Greensboro 00; Raleigh 03; Bristow 03; Asheville 04; Toronto 05; Sydney x 3 06; Newcastle 06; San Diego 09
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i forgot about ed naming the show after MR......

"the triannual mark richards newcastle show" or something along those lines....

so 3 more years until PJ are back? lets hope so and lets hope they let MR write all the set lists!
  • Options
    i still can't believe i was there!

i will remember my row and seat number forever!

Row AG (7), Seat 35 hehehe never forget it! my seats at the greatest pearl jam show i will probably ever see!

2011 - Eddie Vedder Sydney 1
    _____________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702
    triannual

PJ back in Australia in 2009 then? :)
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I can't believe I wasn't there!!
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    I can't believe I wasn't there!!

I can't believe I was!! :eek: :o

:D
    I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stoney G.

http://www.myspace.com/ozbeachbum

7/11/06 - Sydney 1
    18/11/06 - Sydney 3
    19/11/06 - Newcastle Baby!
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I can't believe I was!! :eek: :o

:D

good job dude... lucky fuckers over in NSW! I immediately regreted not getting a ticket to this one.... wow I mean Alone, Crown, Masters, Brain, Red Mozi, Undone, Leatherman and Fucking Up in one show hahahah amazing.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Ricsard wrote:
    Was it a soldout show???

yeh it was. one of the few for the tour. the ent centre holds about 6,500 i think? someone correct me if im wrong. i think newcastle has a population of about 180k.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Options
    AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    WOW. WOW. WOW. WOW. WOW.(My best Homer impression after Flanders reads the bible to him when he's stoned).

Unbelievable from the very start. When KOL got on stage at about 7:10 my jedi senses were in overdrive. Something very special is going. Always had the idea that it was going to be a awesome night but looking around at the pre-show I saw that wild eyed look in everyones eyes not just my three mates. As we collect our tickets(row 9 Mike side 10c newbie its the closest I've been absolutely frothing at the mouth) we could all hear the soundcheck going on, one of the lads that got there earier said they'd gone through Fatal about 4 times. We all headed back to draw the raffle( much peace and love to a fundraiser organisers good money to a good cause).

From the time they hit the stage with Alive until they took their bows it was an unbelieveable experience. The really really good vibes to begin with plus the MR setlist take 3 I believe was the icing on the cake. Everyone was screaming all night as hard as they could and MR came on and said 'IS THIS THE GREATEST FUCKING BAND ON THE PLANET OR WHAT?' I thought the wee tin shed might come down on us it was so loud. Will have to get the bootleg to take it all in cause Sydney 3 three was pretty wild too and I was pretty much pissed from Saturday Afternoon through to Sunday night but I know every second is etched in there and can't wait to sit down with Bourb soon listen to that night again.

Cheers Newcastle, the local lads for getting them there, the band for stepping off the well worn highway between capitals in Australia and not only played their but giving one of the best performances any PJ fan could ever hope to see. and to my fellow fans in the first ten rows that sang, dance and partyed all night MWAH MWAH MWAH!! I've seen what a crowd can do I was at Sydney 2. Thank You All

First time I heard MASTERS OF WAR like that only ever heard the acoustic version FUCKING TOP SHELF!
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • Options
    i signed the petition when it came out even though i had tix to sydney 2. nearly didnt buy a ticket but thought why not. why not indeed!! after felling a little let down after sydney 2 (no betterman or rvm in a concert set list for a very long time 10 plus years) i left feeling quite content. went round back hoping to get an autograph. got mr to sign my wave poster and got a set list (with corrections) from a production crew. left at 1:45am with no autographs
    jeremy was supposed to be the first song 2nd encore but time beat them in the end i think but hey undone live is ok with me!
    got an a4 size photo from the hearld on order to be mounted with set list and ticket for that nice piece of memrobilia and the bootleg as well. shot masters of war and rockin on my camera (naughty me) but its for me only and i might put a snippet on you tube.
    cant believe the disrespt some people showed by walking out during yellow led who where only there so they could say "i saw pearl jam". i had two guys near me who spent most of the gig in the bar! why bother turning up.
  • Options
    I am still on cloud 9!!!
    WHAT A NIGHT.....beyond all expectations.

Everything about it was INCREDIBLE!

No words can truly describe how I was feeling that night and am still feeling 2 days later......what a way to finish my 5 show junket (over 9 days and 3 states!!!)

Footsteps and Crown of Thorns - THANKYOU, I can die a happy girl!
    Couldn't have dreamed that set if I tried.....

To all those who 'rocked' the 10C seats and the Newy Exhibition Centre - awesome, awesome crowd.....thanks

I could ramble on but I think you all get the gist of what I'm saying....

Fucking A1 all the way!!!!
    ~~The sea will rise, please stand by the shore~~
    ~~~~Oh I will be, I will be there once more~~~~

2006 Tour
    10/11 Brisbane
    13/11 Melbourne
    14/11 Melbourne
    16/11 Melbourne
    19/11 Newcastle
    25/11 Perth

Hall-le-lu-jah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    got an a4 size photo from the hearld on order to be mounted with set list and

How'd you order the pic through the Herald? I was there and would love a professional pic to throw up on the wall with my ticket....
  • Options
    got an a4 size photo from the hearld on order to be mounted with set list and ticket for that nice piece of memrobilia and the bootleg as well.

How'd you order the pic through the Herald? I was there and I would love a pro pic to throw up on the wall with my ticket! Any chance you could give me details of who I could get into contact with to get a copy of the pic...
  • Options
    Dying to see this poster, and can't find a picture anywhere.... Anyone have a snap or a link? I've heard it was a car by a beach or something?
    1995: Milwaukee/Summerfest 1; 1998: Indianapolis, Greenville, Knoxville; 2000: Lisbon, London 1 & 2, Detroit, Alpine Valley, Chicago; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Summerfest 1 & 2 (w/ Tom Petty), Sydney 1 & 3, Melbourne 1, 2 & 3; 2007: The Vic, Lollapalooza
  • Options
    jasone6 wrote:
    Dying to see this poster, and can't find a picture anywhere.... Anyone have a snap or a link? I've heard it was a car by a beach or something?

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bendid/Newcastle06.jpg

Here is a link. Not my image. Found this on the newcastle setlist thread, post #332 on pg 23. Courtesey of "Bendid". Hope he dosen't mind me passing along his nice picture. Thanks Ben.
    Portland 98; Charlotte 00; Greensboro 00; Raleigh 03; Bristow 03; Asheville 04; Toronto 05; Sydney x 3 06; Newcastle 06; San Diego 09
  • Options
    aus_suzaus_suz Posts: 9,364
    I loved it when they did GTF and Ed said
    "made it to the castle had a smoke in a tree" Im sure thats what I heard or may have been "made it to Newcastle had a smoke in a tree"......:)
    either way It rocked.....:)
  • Options
    A girl at work had front row seats ( SHE WAS A 10/VRS FAN) she has some good photos she showed me.
    she said she also has video ( quality???) and more photos. Ive asked for her card from her camera. but I need help, Ive never loaded this type of stuff onto websites. can somebody pm how I can get photos up for all to see?? and what about video- how do I get it onto you tube or somthing. help would be apreciated.
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE