Options

Do you think Fetuses have souls?

davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
edited February 2013 in A Moving Train
if you think fetuses have souls, imagine would heaven would be like. you'd be tip toe-ing around, trying not to step on them. if you did, it would be like bubble gum stuck to your shoes.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Like bubble gum:?

Yes I do believe a fetus has a soul.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    What is it 51M since Roe v Wade? Such a progressive society.
  • Options
    So you'd have souls stuck to your soles in heaven?

Say the fetuses had committed sins already? Would I still trample on them in hell?

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,767
    If fetuses have souls and go straight to heaven they are probably thinking, "Thank you for saving me from what is very much likely to have been a miserable one. I'm quite happy here."

Since most fetuses souls and are aborted at a fish like stage, must we assume fish have souls as well? I take it you see where this is going.

What about making birth control more available and being more open about it so we don't have to have this kind of discussion in the first place?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    They don't go to Heaven, the haven't been baptised yet.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I have no idea, but I'd rather give the benefit of the doubt than not.

(and I'm sorry if your post comparing them to bubble gum - really? - was in jest, but damn...kind of harsh. Might as well compare them to shit stuck on your shoe)

This makes me think about miscarriages. Would those fetuses fall under the same umbrella - as in, it's OK to mourn that loss of life, but one aborted doesn't merit the same? Do we assign "soul" based on whether or not the baby was wanted in the first place?

Not that it needs to be said, but I am prochoice.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    No I do not.
    But this should turn out to be an interesting thread.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    I don't believe in the soul, so no.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    I don't believe in the soul, so no.
  • Options
    No I do not.
    But this should turn out to be an interesting thread.

Yep, curious to see if it gets ugly or thoughtful.
  • Options
    Furthermore, how can we say if something exists or not in a fetus if we can't quantifiably prove it exists in a human?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    My friend swore her fetus had soul and would bounce along to the beat of drums when she was pregnant and they were on tour with the rainbow nation. :D

If you are talking about a religious soul, I haven't an opinion on that. If you mean they are a living creature with a spirit, then I believe yes.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    brianlux wrote:

What about making birth control more available and being more open about it so we don't have to have this kind of discussion in the first place?
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

Ditto.

Gotta run but if someone has the time, could you please look up the % of abortions & throw away babies that addicts (herion, coke, meth) add to this sad & pathetic practice.
  • Options
    You know why you never tell anyone that you're pregnant for the first three months?

Because about a third of pregnancies self-abort or "Miscarry." Many don't ever even really become "pregnancies," just fertilized ova that don't "stick," for lack of a better word. They just pass through.

Many women have what is called a "hostile womb," which means that a fertilized egg is unable to live. Should we charge those women with murder?

Tell me...

The fetuses that get aborted because they have brains that developed outside the head... you think we should let them be born and die as their brains as smushed in labor? What do they look like in heaven?

The fetuses that have no brains at all... that's not uncommon. Or the fetuses that develop without lungs... we should let them be born and suffocate over the 2 minutes they're outside the uterus?

How about fetuses that are brain dead? Do they have souls? Should we just let those get born and die when they hit the air?

Or fetuses that are so deformed and twisted that their mother will probably die giving birth to them. Are they going to be pissed that we didn't let them "live?"

I think the idea of a "soul" is just another Jedi Mind control trick made up by the church. I think the idea that a fertilized egg having a soul is absurd.
  • Options
    Soul is subjective. When do any of us actually aquire one?
    I suppose I had a glimpse of it a time or two when I was young but I didn't know to label it soul.
    Consiousness on the other hand, gives birth to the meaining of soul.
    It is a womans choice to give birth to whatever is growing inside her. This must stand.
    But for the women who use abortion as a form of birth control — they have no soul.
  • Options
    But for the women who use abortion as a form of birth control — they have no soul.

There are no women who use abortion as birth control.

:fp:
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763

You really believe that? Every abortion is a form of birth control.

I think they do have souls although I find the OP very childish in talking about stepping on them like gum. I don't think our appearance in heaven has any resemblance to our earthly bodies.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

You really believe that? Every abortion is a form of birth control.

I think they do have souls although I find the OP very childish in talking about stepping on them like gum. I don't think our appearance in heaven has any resemblance to our earthly bodies.

Prince; i know several women who have had several abortions. Maybe I don't know what you are meaning here?
  • Options
    You know why you never tell anyone that you're pregnant for the first three months?

Because about a third of pregnancies self-abort or "Miscarry." Many don't ever even really become "pregnancies," just fertilized ova that don't "stick," for lack of a better word. They just pass through.

Many women have what is called a "hostile womb," which means that a fertilized egg is unable to live. Should we charge those women with murder?

Tell me...

The fetuses that get aborted because they have brains that developed outside the head... you think we should let them be born and die as their brains as smushed in labor? What do they look like in heaven?

The fetuses that have no brains at all... that's not uncommon. Or the fetuses that develop without lungs... we should let them be born and suffocate over the 2 minutes they're outside the uterus?

How about fetuses that are brain dead? Do they have souls? Should we just let those get born and die when they hit the air?

Or fetuses that are so deformed and twisted that their mother will probably die giving birth to them. Are they going to be pissed that we didn't let them "live?"

I think the idea of a "soul" is just another Jedi Mind control trick made up by the church. I think the idea that a fertilized egg having a soul is absurd.

So is that a no from you?
  • Options
    pj1981pj1981 Posts: 288
    If souls exist, if we have them then of course fetuses do too. I imagine everlasting energy
    that we all share. Intelligent and emotional energy that is life. This energy that is us begins its life at conception.
  • Options

actually, I know one. I slept with her. I later found out why she didn't care to use protection. She would just go get an abortion if she got pregnant. So yes, she used abortion as birth control. However, I don't believe this is common.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Worried about a fetus having a soul, but very quick to tell me that my pet dog, cat, fish, the cow in the barnyard, the horse I ride, the seal I club, the polar bear in the artic, etc....don't have souls. Odd, very, very, odd.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    Worried about a fetus having a soul, but very quick to tell me that my pet dog, cat, fish, the cow in the barnyard, the horse I ride, the seal I club, the polar bear in the artic, etc....don't have souls. Odd, very, very, odd.
    Not sure to whom that was directed, but if souls do exist (and I liken the word "soul" to spirit, or energy, or intelligence), they're not exclusive to human beings.

Ever looked into the eyes of a gorilla? Hell, even our cats.

(and hell yes too, even the seal you club. I'll assume that was intended with humor/sarcasm)

It's funny too, how most - myself included - took the initial post to be about aborted life. Not sure if that was the intent, but seems how it's been generally taken. So I ask again, does one mourn in the same way the loss of life via an abortion as they would a miscarriage? Consider the former as not having a soul or spirit, and the latter as having it? And if so, why?

I still think the gum-on-shoe analogy is dismissive of how those fetuses died, whether the death was intentional or not.
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741

lolz....

glad so see some activity out of you, my friend... :D
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:
    Not sure to whom that was directed, but if souls do exist (and I liken the word "soul" to spirit, or energy, or intelligence), they're not exclusive to human beings.

(and hell yes too, even the seal you club. I'll assume that was intended with humor/sarcasm)

It's funny too, how most - myself included - took the initial post to be about aborted life. Not sure if that was the intent, but seems how it's been generally taken. So I ask again, does one mourn in the same way the loss of life via an abortion as they would a miscarriage? Consider the former as not having a soul or spirit, and the latter as having it? And if so, why?

I still think the gum-on-shoe analogy is dismissive of how those fetuses died, whether the death was intentional or not.

I thought it was generally accepted amongst religious folks that only humans have souls and go to heaven?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:

I thought it was generally accepted amongst religious folks that only humans have souls and go to heaven?
    nyuk, nyuk, jokes on them.

• Options
    hedonist wrote:

But one can believe in the soul (catchall word) and not in heaven; they're not mutually-exclusive.

(that said, I'm not sure I've heard the only-humans-in-heaven theory)
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:

lolz....

glad so see some activity out of you, my friend... :D

WHERE'S THE VW BITCH?????? I mean Champ! :D

A bit of spare time on my hands now and then.

• Options
    hedonist wrote:
    hedonist wrote:

But one can believe in the soul (catchall word) and not in heaven; they're not mutually-exclusive.

(that said, I'm not sure I've heard the only-humans-in-heaven theory)

True be dat. And I will concur with you about the energy thingy, but I refuse to say soul. Cause I believe in ghosts and for me to make that statement it is either an energy or a soul. I prefer...energy.