Soccer is a cess pool

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/match-fixi ... --sow.html

..THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) -- Organized crime gangs have fixed or tried to fix hundreds of soccer matches around the world in recent years, including World Cup and European Championship qualifiers and two Champions League games, Europol announced Monday.

The European Union's police agency said an 18-month review found 380 suspicious matches in Europe and another 300 questionable games outside the continent, mainly in Africa, Asia and South and Central America. It also found evidence that a Singapore-based crime syndicate was involved in some of the match-fixing.

Europol refused to name any suspected matches, players, officials or match-fixers, saying that would compromise ongoing national investigations, so it remained unclear how much of the information divulged Monday was new or had already been revealed in trials across the continent.

Even so, the picture painted by Europol was the latest body blow for the credibility of sports in general, following cyclist Lance Armstrong's admission that he used performance-enhancing drugs in all seven of his Tour de France wins.

''This is a sad day for European football (soccer),'' Europol Director Rob Wainwright told reporters. He said criminals were cashing in on soccer corruption ''on a scale and in a way that threatens the very fabric of the game.''

Europol said 425 match officials, club officials, players and criminals from at least 15 countries were involved in fixing European soccer games dating back to 2008.

Ralf Mutschke, director of security at FIFA, the world soccer body, said the report highlighted the need for soccer authorities and police to tackle corruption together.

''The support of law enforcement bodies, legal investigations, and ultimately tougher sanctions are required, as currently there is low risk and high gain potential for the fixers,'' he said.

Mutschke said while FIFA can ban players, referees and club officials, it is powerless to sanction people not directly involved in the sport.

''For people outside of football, currently the custodial sentences imposed are too weak and offer little to deter someone from getting involved in match-fixing,'' he said.

Europol is not a police force but provides expertise and helps coordinate national police across the 27-nation European Union. It said 13 European countries were involved in this match-fixing investigation, pouring through 13,000 emails, paper trails, phone records and computer records.

Its probe uncovered (euro) 8 million ($10.9 million) in betting profits and (euro) 2 million ($2.7 million) in bribes to players and officials and has already led to several prosecutions.

''This is the tip of the iceberg,'' said German investigator Friedhelm Althans, who also said two World Cup qualification matches in Africa and one in Central America were among those under suspicion.

Wainwright said while many fixed soccer matches were already known from criminal trials in Europe, the Europol investigation lifted the lid on the widespread involvement of organized crime.

''(That) highlights a big problem for the integrity of football in Europe,'' he said.

He said a Singapore-based criminal network was involved in the match-fixing, spending up to (euro) 100,000 ($136,500) per match to bribe players and officials.

''The ringleaders are of Asian origin, working closely together with European facilitators,'' Europol said in a statement, but adding that ''Russian-speaking'' and other criminal gangs were also involved.

Wainwright said the soccer world needed a ''concerted effort'' to tackle the corruption.

UEFA, which oversees European soccer and organizes the Champions League, seemed surprised by the breadth of Europol's accusations. It said it expected to get more information on their investigation shortly.

''Once the details of these investigations are in UEFA's hands, then they will be reviewed by the appropriate disciplinary bodies in order that the necessary measures are taken,'' UEFA said in a statement.

Previous investigations have found that a World Cup qualifier between Liechtenstein and Finland in September 2009 was fixed by a referee from Bosnia, who UEFA banned for life.

Last year, UEFA expelled a Malta player implicated in fixing a European Championship qualifier between Norway and Malta in June 2007.

81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Where there is money there is corruption.

Hell, last year a lady was arrested for stealing from her sons youth baseball team.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    How do you fix a game where the end score is often 1-0?

I never played soccer but I have friends that play in several leagues, they live by it.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Why can't they just cheat the right way, by using PEDs?

Right Lance?
  • o9h..that 5-3 of panionios.....big money..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • I'll volunteer to assist with physicals to make sure there is no doping!
    I'll volunteer to assist with physicals to make sure there is no doping!

:think:
  • I'll volunteer to assist with physicals to make sure there is no doping!

Remeber I am a woman ;)
    I'll volunteer to assist with physicals to make sure there is no doping!

Remeber I am a woman ;)

oh, I remember...
  • Cool
  • Have we met?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,763
    look at the way some of these guys flop at a breeze from a guy running past them, its just now you say this?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Fox is looking for the rights to the next couple of World Cups and has Gus Johnson calling games on the Fox Soccer network. Cheating or not, cesspool or not, Gus Johnson calling games increases my odds of watching
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Fox is looking for the rights to the next couple of World Cups and has Gus Johnson calling games on the Fox Soccer network. Cheating or not, cesspool or not, Gus Johnson calling games increases my odds of watching

the only way i am watching is if erin andrews is calling the games naked and the camera's stay focused on her the entire broadcast
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    81 wrote:

the only way i am watching is if erin andrews is calling the games naked and the camera's stay focused on her the entire broadcast

Yeah, you got me there
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,659
    I can just picture it..."Beckham passes it up to Pele, Pele works his way to midfield, THEN DROPS A PASS BACK TO BECKHAM DID YOU SEE THAT!!!!"
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    And I thought you meant soccer parents.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Looks like the World Cup will never ever be held in a country that harbors an extradition treaty with the US government for quite some time. FIFA may need a new headquarters as well. Perhaps Moscow may serve as a better location?
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Sepp Blatter is a complete asshole who needs to go.
    This makes the Tom Brady scandal look like he got his suspension because he stole a toothpick at a Denny's. The following is from an article explaining why America is the only country in the world that would go after FIFA ...

Corruption in FIFA is an open secret. But there are two reasons why America is the only country that can really go after the international soccer cartel:

1) We straight don’t give a fuck about soccer.
    2) This is how we roll, legally, post 9/11.

The officials were arrested in Switzerland last night. The Swiss are taking a side in this!

Getting people from Switzerland to the U.S. can be tricky. The Swiss won’t extradite people to the United States for tax evasion, and in general, the Swiss are loath to extradite people for purely financial crimes. But U.S. officials expect these FIFA people will be handed over. It’s almost like Swiss said, “We do not agree with your American obsession with financial crimes, and we usually stay out of matters of foreign intrigue... wait, did you say ‘FIFA’? Oh, we’ll help you get those bastards.”

atlredline.com/only-the-american-justice-system-could-go-after-fifa-1707174748
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    badbrains said:

:clap:

This will be fun to watch. I'm glad they've lifted the rock and have a light shining on the cockroaches. I'm so fucking sick of FIFA and their shady dealings, that for the first time in my 50+ years, I have entertained the idea of not watching the next 2 World Cups. The reality is that I probably won't be able to stay away, but the way the bids went, and the way Blatter uses FIFA as his money printer just pisses me off. Blatter has no opposition, and is surrounded by ass kissers. Hopefully those ass kissers will start feeling the heat, and wonder why they've protected and propped him up for so long.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:

badbrains said:

This will be fun to watch. I'm glad they've lifted the rock and have a light shining on the cockroaches. I'm so fucking sick of FIFA and their shady dealings, that for the first time in my 50+ years, I have entertained the idea of not watching the next 2 World Cups. The reality is that I probably won't be able to stay away, but the way the bids went, and the way Blatter uses FIFA as his money printer just pisses me off. Blatter has no opposition, and is surrounded by ass kissers. Hopefully those ass kissers will start feeling the heat, and wonder why they've protected and propped him up for so long.
    Prince Ali from Jordan is up for vote. He's pretty good. Let's see how this pans out.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,822
    jeffbr said:

badbrains said:

The only way anything is going to change is if some of the huge sponsors like Coke, Visa, etc.. start to back out.
    badbrains said:

jeffbr said:

badbrains said:

Prince Ali from Jordan is up for vote. He's pretty good. Let's see how this pans out.
    Until this morning, I didn't hold out any hope that Blatter would be replaced, but perhaps Prince Ali is in the right place at the right time for a revolution. Fingers crossed. I like what Gary Lineker tweeted:
    "There can't be a more corrupt, deplorable organisation on earth than Fifa. The house of cards is falling. Time for change!"
    He added: "This is extraordinary! Fifa is imploding. The best thing that could possibly happen to the beautiful game."
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32895057

• elenelen Posts: 188
    2006: Verona, Milano, Honolulu
    2007: London
    2014: Milano
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway1, Fenway2, Wrigley1, Wrigley2
    2018: London1, Milano, Padova, Roma
    jeffbr said:

badbrains said:

jeffbr said:

badbrains said:

Until this morning, I didn't hold out any hope that Blatter would be replaced, but perhaps Prince Ali is in the right place at the right time for a revolution. Fingers crossed. I like what Gary Lineker tweeted:
    "There can't be a more corrupt, deplorable organisation on earth than Fifa. The house of cards is falling. Time for change!"
    He added: "This is extraordinary! Fifa is imploding. The best thing that could possibly happen to the beautiful game."
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32895057

What sucks is that prick sepp has been polluting FIFA for so many years. He def has some big people backing him. I wonder if king Eric Cantona would consider this position.
    jeffbr said:

Collar up! This guy was a beast!
  • elenelen Posts: 188
    He'd better say "au revoir" and run a winery.
    2006: Verona, Milano, Honolulu
    2007: London
    2014: Milano
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway1, Fenway2, Wrigley1, Wrigley2
    2018: London1, Milano, Padova, Roma
    So far ....