Options

Why doesn't Pearl Jam do an all 10C event?

JB56195JB56195 Posts: 303
edited February 2013 in The Porch
I got to thinking about the lottery system and it's ups and downs and began to wonder why doesn't PJ do a 10C only event for a few shows per tour?

Just curious if it's even possible or if it's been done by any other bands before. What stops the band from doing an all 10C gig somewhere in the country? For example, they do MSG night 1 like any regular concert on their tour. Then do night 2 and sell out the whole venue to 10c members only.

From I business standpoint I understand that they have to negotiate with Ticketmaster on the percentage of seats reserved for 10C during a standard show but why does TM care who is getting the tickets as long as they collect the distribution fees/service charge. The venue has to get paid for its use, PJ makes money on the concert, etc. It would be like renting out a venue for a gigantic private party.

You rotate it around between Seattle, Chicago, Philly, New York, Boston, southern show somewhere (New Orleans???), etc. May be do some shows in off years when there is no tour (keep it in Seattle so the band doesn't have nearly as much inconvenience). Announce it way in advance to people can travel from overseas.

It would have a really positive vibe kind of like PJ20 with less special guests. The band could screw around and pull out old catalog/rare stuff that fans would want (Rats you know I'm looking at you). Perhaps play an entire album.

Seem like a win for everyone involved. Clearly there is something I'm missing.

95-Milwaukee, 98-East Troy, 00-East Troy, 03-Detroit  Nights 1 and 2, 03-Toronto, 04-Grand Rapids, 05-Kitchener, 06-Cincinnati, 06-Auburn Hills, 10-New Orleans, 10-Kansas City, 11-PJ20 Nights 1 and 2, 13-Chicago, 14- Moline, 16-Chicago Nights 1 and 2, 18-Seattle Nights 1 and 2, Chicago Night 1, 21-Ohana Encore Night 1 and 2, 22-Imola, St. Louis.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,868
    they have done some fanclub only shows, though inevitable it isn't just the fanclub. The Vic show was primarily fanclub, I want to say the Showbox and Fonda shows were as well, New Regal in Chicago in 94 I think.....could be wrong

I agree though lets get some bigger fucking venues and have as many ten club seats as people can buy!
  • Options
    majleap3majleap3 Posts: 208
    Great idea!!!! This should be a no brainer.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    always good idea a fan club show
    now u mention msg..is like 18-20k venue?
    will be sold out if only sell to members?
    probably in smaller venues can happen..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    they have done some fanclub only shows, though inevitable it isn't just the fanclub. The Vic show was primarily fanclub, I want to say the Showbox and Fonda shows were as well, New Regal in Chicago in 94 I think.....could be wrong

I agree though lets get some bigger fucking venues and have as many ten club seats as people can buy!

As you alluded to the only problem is those were small venue places. Perhaps MSG is too big for a 100% fan club show but I have to imagine if you make it a big event every few years then people would travel. I know I would head from KC to NYC to see something like that. Chicago would probably be a better venue due to easier accessibility from throughout the country.

If it doesn't sell out via 10c then open it up to allow people to buy more than a pair of tixs. I always bring my wife but think it would be great to have my oldest son tag along. If it doesn't sell out you can always open sales to the public.

95-Milwaukee, 98-East Troy, 00-East Troy, 03-Detroit  Nights 1 and 2, 03-Toronto, 04-Grand Rapids, 05-Kitchener, 06-Cincinnati, 06-Auburn Hills, 10-New Orleans, 10-Kansas City, 11-PJ20 Nights 1 and 2, 13-Chicago, 14- Moline, 16-Chicago Nights 1 and 2, 18-Seattle Nights 1 and 2, Chicago Night 1, 21-Ohana Encore Night 1 and 2, 22-Imola, St. Louis.

• Options
    How about a tour of smaller venues that are 10c only? Ed has often said he wishes they would play small clubs again.
  • Options
    majleap3 wrote:
    How about a tour of smaller venues that are 10c only? Ed has often said he wishes they would play small clubs again.

Now I would be totally stoked about that but I imagine that people would get left out unless they put enough venues out there. I also imagine the return on investment in terms of revenue is going to be a lot less for the band. I am sure touring is expensive and time consuming so if you're going to do it once and a while I would think you would try to get the most of your money.

The reason I was thinking about this was due to all the complaints about the new ticket lotto system and how people are complaining about being shut out. A big venue with a 10c event would give everyone a chance to go. If this was something special- rare songs, laid back band telling stories, super long sets (hey we are going to break for a half hour because were playing for five hrs tonight), etc. then people would be less focused on getting great seats and more focused on being there. I know I wouldn't care if I was in the back row for something like that.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm envisioning a whole 30 city tour of just small venues, like they did way back when. I'm certain this wouldn't happen, can't blame them. But holy shit that would be amazing. I would hope at this point that the financial gain wouldn't be first on their mind. Hell, I'd pay $200 to get into a House of Blues show or Music Hall at Fair Park (where Ed played in Dallas last month).
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,157
    It would get difficult. They would probably have to avoid using any ticketmaster/livenation venues.

I'm not sure if people realize it but TM made a policty about ten years ago that limited fan club access to tickets to about 10% of a venue. The 10c has managed to somehow circumvent this, but with every tour I think they have less and less pull, and get less and less seats.

I can't see TM allowing a member only show. Thus PJ would have to do it in non TM venues, which as we saw on the '95 tour was near impossible, which I would imagine would be worse now.

If they stuck to small venues (which might the only ones left that aren't controlled by TM) the demand for tickets would be so high it'd just piss off everyone cause no one could get a ticket. :)

I think it has headache written all over it (from a planning perspective :) ).
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,751
    Its a great idea. And yeah if it doesn't sell out, just sell to the general public. I went to the Orlando HOB show in 2003, the one you supposedly could only get tickets for if you won them on the radio. Well only 1500 tickets went through the nationwide radio, the other 1000 were sold in the Orlando area and that's how I got mine (thankfully my brother lives there). If they did one of these a year and gave notice, we'd come damn close to selling it out.
    P.S. How is netflix deemed a monopoly and ticketmaster not? C'mon man.
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    They will be. This summer in my backyard. Details to follow.

drums-farfisa-in-backyard.jpg
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    When they played Wembley Arena in 2007 the floor was 10c only.

PJ hold the attendance record for the venue. 12470 fans that night enjoying one hell of a gig :D
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,517
    hrd2imgn wrote:

The Vic Theater show was entirely fanclub. Glad I was able to score tickets to that show before the new lottery was in place.

:lol:
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    :fp: Maybe PJ could do a *no* 10C event . . .
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,836
    IMO, what would be grand, is the band try out new places. Try to find out arenas or places that are not yet taken over by Ticketmaster / Live Nation. Folks from the 10club could scout these places and reserve them.

Ask if it would be possible for one day only @ the 10club ticket sale to reserve as many seats as possible for their 10club members. Then, ONLY THEN, the next day the arena can sell the left over seats that 10club couldn't sell. Would be shocking if these places, not run by Ticketmaster / Live Nation wouldn't do something like this.

If all else fails ... I say they build a fucking Pearl Jam Arena. 2 on the East Coast. 2 on the West Coast. And Pearl Jam could play at their arena any time they want. Dedicated 10club only tickets / fans. It would be a grand ball!!! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    DS1119 wrote:

Boom in the front?! :shock:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    At least just open all tickets to members first and sell as many as 10C members will buy, and then sell the remainder to the general public.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:

Boom in the front?! :shock:

But of course. Jeff on the slide. Mike & Stone will be on the grass. Ed on the top of the roof!!
  • Options
    Festivals.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    At least just open all tickets to members first and sell as many as 10C members will buy, and then sell the remainder to the general public.
    yes...but 10c dont own the venue...im not sure even if they ask,the ones has the rights for the tix will agree
    and is different small arenas than venues like MSG,
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Festivals.

Don't say that!!! :cry:

Festivals Suck!!!
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Festivals.

Festivals Suck!!!
    I'm not a big fan of them, but those are the non-10C shows!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Festivals.

Festivals Suck!!!
    I'm not a big fan of them, but those are the non-10C shows!

They could do a 10club only festival show. But it would have to be very well organized. And tickets far FAR away from Ticketmaster / Live Nation hands.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    This is a Great idea!!

+1 :corn:
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Smaller venues equal less money for each member. There about cashing in with festivals at the moment.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Smaller venues equal less money for each member. There about cashing in with festivals at the moment.
    :roll:
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    :roll:
    Sadly that's how I feel at the moment.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    They could sprinkle in fan club only shows at major US Cities (for example - Boston, New York, Philly if playing in the Northeast).

So say they start (or END 8-) in Boston. One show (or two) at the Garden and one fan club show at the Orpheum (like '94). Fan club only show should be limited to fan club members only in that area (New England for Boston perhaps). They could also have fan club members that have been in the club for a certain period of time (5 + years).

They could also do a fan club acoustic tour in small venues like the Foo's did - :D

Last, every fan club member at fan club show gets a poster!!!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

This is what should happen. You want tickets? Join the club. :fp:
    100 Pacer wrote:
    The Vic Theater show was entirely fanclub. Glad I was able to score tickets to that show before the new lottery was in place.

:lol:

+1 :D
  • Options
    55 MA Posts: 157
    I think they should and totally could do this and I have said it myself on the forum a few times over the years. I was lucky enough to be at the 94' Orpheum Boston show and the vibe was beyond amazing with all fans there the energy between the crowd and the band was electric.

They did it then so they could do it again they have the ability. It would be the best thing they could do to reward their fan club members for staying in the fan club. I am not going to give up hope and I think if we keep talking about it on here we could make it happen!! They love us so why would'nt they want to make us all happy!

I would also like to request that at that show fan club seating be in FULL effect because I would have front row center and it would be the best thing ever!!!! hehehe I really really miss that I had it a few times and there is nothing like it in the whole wide world. Yep they spoiled me but I always always made sure I rocked out and did not stand there like a bump on a log. I never took getting that privalige for granted and I never will. Now if I could ever just score a pair of 10club tickets again. I have been getting locked out and having to buy them for shows for years so I am hoping that the lottery will at least give me a chance to score some and go to my happy place in the thrid row once again!

I think we should vow to keep this thread ALIVE until we make it happen!! We got them to finally re-release the 3 dvd and blue ray set!! They are listening to our suggestions more and more. So I for one will try to come on here and post or bump this thread daily if others will to! Come On !! WE CAN DO THIS!!!
    ARE YOU WITH ME?? Let me hear you say YEAH!!
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    5 wrote:
    So I for one will try to come on here and post or bump this thread daily if others will to! Come On !! WE CAN DO THIS!!!
    ARE YOU WITH ME?? Let me hear you say YEAH!!

I'm with you brother! Two things I would love to do before I leave this world is be part of a PJ weekend at the Gorge and a fan club only theater show. Would be fucking awesome!
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14