Options

Piers Morgan and Alex Jones

Comments

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    JimmyV wrote:
    unsung wrote:

AGAIN, the 2nd Amendment wasn't written so you can hunt.

AGAIN, it also wasn't written so you could keep an arsenal in your basement.

Thankfully there's nothing that says I can't.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934
    JimmyV wrote:
    i beg to differ

And that is why this is a great country.

Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

The right to free speech did not exist when Washington was shooting the British.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    he still shot them.
    and now it does.

get it
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I'm bored. I'm going to have a conversation with this wall. It makes more sense.
  • Options
    gun_control.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    LOUD NOISES!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    The simple fact of living in this country is that you have to understand that the majority of the country is vastly comprised of morons.

This shit makes sense to people
  • Options
    he still shot them.

With an assault rifle?

• Options
    how about that UK violent crime rate?

“The gun has been called the great equalizer, meaning that a small person with a gun is equal to a large person, but it is a great equalizer in another way, too. It insures that the people are the equal of their government whenever that government forgets that it is servant and not master of the governed. When the British forgot that they got a revolution. And, as a result, we Americans got a Constitution; a Constitution that, as those who wrote it were determined, would keep men free. If we give up part of that Constitution we give up part of our freedom and increase the chance that we will lose it all.” ~Ronald Reagan

Equal of their government? Servant not master? Keep men free? Lose it all? Hmmmmm, brings to mind one of many things like the Branch Davidians. Seems they had a good thing that the government had a problem with and it wasn't near as good a shoot up or even fight that it should have been according to Ronnie's quote.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    unsung wrote:
    People think those black evil guns with the grips are the cause of all the problems in this country. I guess the feeble minded find it easier to blame an object than a person. After all people can't be held responsible for their actions.

Ah yes...those who disagree must be feeble minded. :roll:

• Options
    unsung wrote:
    I'm bored. I'm going to have a conversation with this wall. It makes more sense.
  • Options
    unsung wrote:

And it can't disagree with you. So you must be right!

• Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    LOUD NOISES!

LIBERTY! REAGAN! RON PAUL!

• Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The simple fact of living in this country is that you have to understand that the majority of the country is vastly comprised of morons.

this.

coming from another country living here I just don't get the love affair with the gun with the gun murder death rate in this country being so much more per capita. it's beyond mind boggling.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,085
    Assault rifles vs. handguns vs. hunting rifles vs. automatic vs. semi-automatic. I'm convinced a lot of people engaged in this debate are unable to elucidate the terms as they tend to use some interchangeably. At the very least, the terms aren't being stated clearly and those arguing the other side aren't asking for clarification, leading me to believe no one is interested in actually having a civilized discussion. (For the record, banning "assault rifles" would still leave lots of automatic and semi-automatic weapons available for purchase. So that ain't gonna do what you think it gonna do.)

On the video: A perfect microcosm of the gun control debate. Two boobs with no interest in what the other one has to say.
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

this.

coming from another country living here I just don't get the love affair with the gun with the gun murder death rate in this country being so much more per capita. it's beyond mind boggling.

It must be rough on that moral high ground, sitting alone mind boggled by the intellectually inferior you look down upon with a furrowed brow.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    pjl44 wrote:
    Zoso wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

this.

It must be rough on that moral high ground, sitting alone mind boggled by the intellectually inferior you look down upon with a furrowed brow.

I'm not looking down at anyone.. just crazy to me that people are being murdered and nothing is being done about it.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    Assault rifles vs. handguns vs. hunting rifles vs. automatic vs. semi-automatic. I'm convinced a lot of people engaged in this debate are unable to elucidate the terms as they tend to use some interchangeably. At the very least, the terms aren't being stated clearly and those arguing the other side aren't asking for clarification, leading me to believe no one is interested in actually having a civilized discussion. (For the record, banning "assault rifles" would still leave lots of automatic and semi-automatic weapons available for purchase. So that ain't gonna do what you think it gonna do.)

I use the first three terms but not interchangeably. I do use "assault rifle" as an all encompassing term to describe many types of unnecessary and dangerous guns the public has no use for. Perhaps not technically correct but sufficient for these purposes.
    pjl44 wrote:
    On the video: A perfect microcosm of the gun control debate. Two boobs with no interest in what the other one has to say.

100% agree.

• Options
    Zoso wrote:

I'm not looking down at anyone.. just crazy to me that people are being murdered and nothing is being done about it.

Saying "this" to this:

"The simple fact of living in this country is that you have to understand that the majority of the country is vastly comprised of morons.

This shit makes sense to people"

would be the textbook definition of looking down at people.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Zoso wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:
    Zoso wrote:
    this.

Zoso, I dont think you're looking down at anyone either...Its good to hear from folks who came from another location and reside in the USA, and to hear their take on our culture. I imagine the rest of the world is confused by the fact that we are a very advanced nation, yet we have such extreme tendencies towards military budgets, gun ownership, and coincidentally gun deaths through the roof! Im baffled too.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

I use the first three terms but not interchangeably. I do use "assault rifle" as an all encompassing term to describe many types of unnecessary and dangerous guns the public has no use for. Perhaps not technically correct but sufficient for these purposes.

I would disagree on the sufficiency, as it likely confuses your point. As someone who seemingly is on a different side of the argument than you, I can tell you there is a vast difference between someone arguing to restrict "assault rifles" vs. arguing to restrict "fully automatic weapons." I have a lot of problems with the former, yet find a great deal of room for compromise on the latter.
  • Options
    unsung wrote:

The wall makes perfect sense as a conversation partner for you two. It will not challenge your ill conceived belief system and you can convince yourself you really do have things figured out.

No offence, but if I was you two I think instead of trying feebly to refute the wealth of information presented, I would spend at least a few moments reflecting on the entire issue.

Woot and blathering that it's your right do not stand up to the weight of the counterargument you have been up against. You must know this. No?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179
    unsung wrote:

The wall makes perfect sense as a conversation partner for you two. It will not challenge your ill conceived belief system and you can convince yourself you really do have things figured out.

No offence, but if I was you two I think instead of trying feebly to refute the wealth of information presented, I would spend at least a few moments reflecting on the entire issue.

Woot and blathering that it's your right do not stand up to the weight of the counterargument you have been up against. You must know this. No?
    you are going to be waiting awhile. countless statistics and facts have been presented in all of these gun threads and the only counterarguments are:

1. its my right

2. guns don't kill people, they are just metal

3. i am using this gun to protect me against the evil imaginary boogeyman who is out to steal my stuff

4. or some completely random scenario is presented where the concealed carry permit holder goes all rambo to kill the bad guy with surgical precision...

how many of these threads do we really need?? at no point is any gun regulation person going to change the mind of a pro gun person. so why waste the time??
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

I would disagree on the sufficiency, as it likely confuses your point. As someone who seemingly is on a different side of the argument than you, I can tell you there is a vast difference between someone arguing to restrict "assault rifles" vs. arguing to restrict "fully automatic weapons." I have a lot of problems with the former, yet find a great deal of room for compromise on the latter.

Perhaps. I just find it easier than differentiating between this gun and that gun in every post, particularly since none of us here are drafting legislation.

Aren't fully automatic weapons already illegal?

• Options

you are going to be waiting awhile. countless statistics and facts have been presented in all of these gun threads and the only counterarguments are:

1. its my right

2. guns don't kill people, they are just metal

3. i am using this gun to protect me against the evil imaginary boogeyman who is out to steal my stuff

4. or some completely random scenario is presented where the concealed carry permit holder goes all rambo to kill the bad guy with surgical precision...

how many of these threads do we really need?? at no point is any gun regulation person going to change the mind of a pro gun person. so why waste the time??

I keep waiting for someone, somewhere to present a better argument than the ones you described for why the public needs to be armed with assault rifles. You would think there would at least be an NRA talking point or something that could be pointed to.

• Options
    i find it very amusing that both sides of the gun control debate say that the other side is stupid, idiotic or moronic because they don't believe the same things that they do. beliefs are just opinions, just because you believe your views to be right, doesn't mean that whoever believes the opposite of that is wrong.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    i find it very amusing that both sides of the gun control debate say that the other side is stupid, idiotic or moronic because they don't believe the same things that they do. beliefs are just opinions, just because you believe your views to be right, doesn't mean that whoever believes the opposite of that is wrong.

Yep.

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217

I agree. What I find strange is when a gun advocate is unwilling to even consider new ideas for cutting back on the availability of guns though. I am anti gun and would love to see most of them banned (too late for that too), but I know this is unfair. So I think a compromise is healthy. Possibly better laws, smaller magazine capacities, better background checks, strict registrations, etc.

We do all have beliefs, but its not an opinion that the USA is the world leader in gun ownership and subsequently, gun deaths. I would consider that a problem.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options

Good thing they're not face to face on some street or in some bar. The anti stance may be taken out by a gun. ;)

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    JimmyV wrote:

Perhaps. I just find it easier than differentiating between this gun and that gun in every post, particularly since none of us here are drafting legislation.

Aren't fully automatic weapons already illegal?

Not federally. The way I understand it is that in some states they are completely illegal, while being heavily regulated in others. In the latter case, I've read that there are extensive background checks (one person wrote that you essentially need a police chief speaking on your behalf), only certain types are obtainable, and those that are come with a price tag that is prohibitively expensive. Given all that, while I would never advocate for a full federal ban on fully automatic weapons, I also wouldn't find that to be an unreasonable compromise.

We're not drafting legislation, but we are having a dialogue. If you were making a case for banning all assault rifles, by all means go for it. But you'll find yourself having a difficult time getting points across if you're confusing people that you're speaking with.