The Relativity of Distance

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,677
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Here's the scene:

You live in a house on Manning Hill.

Your mail box is on another hill exactly 100 yards from your house as the crow flies.

There is a gravel path that leads straight from your house to the mail box that undulates up and down over several small rolling ridges (much like a mini basin and range topography).

The crow flies from your house straight to the mail box and travels exactly 100 yards.

You walk straight from your house to the mail box but must traverse up and down the rolling ridges, thus your walk is more than 100 yards.

Your pet ant walks straight from your house to the mail box but not only must traverse over the undulations of the rolling ridges but also the undulations of the gravel in the path and thus must walk much farther than you do.

Your pet microorganism walks strait from your house to the mail box but must not only traverse the undulations of the rolling ridges and the undulations of the gravel but also the many tiny cracks and fissure on each piece of gravel and thus must travel a very, very great distance to get to the mail box.

Distance is relative.

This seems fractal like-- maybe even verging on chaos.

Or it may just mean that some will have to travel farther to get to the same place.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ShortyShorty Posts: 1,160
    I told my pet ant to stop reading my mail!
    Your Disciples Are Riddled With Metaphors.

08/21/2009: Toronto, ON
    09/11/2011: Toronto, ON
    07/16/2013: London, ON
    10/12/2013: Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014: Detroit, MI
    05/08/2016: Ottawa, ON
    05/10/2016: Toronto, ON
    05/12/2016: Toronto, ON
    08/20/2016: Chicago, IL
    08/22/2016: Chicago, IL
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I used my slingshot to take out the crow...I don't need some bird squaking at me to hurry up.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • interesting parable Brian.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Most everything's relative, and not just in the physical sense.

Traversing from point A to B can't be the same journey for anyone or anything...part of what I love about this life.

(and thanks for the smile, Shorty!)
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    So it sounds the smaller the mind the farther it has to go ...
    bing bing bing bing
    pandora wrote:
    bing bing bing bing
    I'm not sure what the mind (did you mean brain size?) has to do with it, when this is related more to size itself - obstacles. At least from here, this little perspective of mine.

I look at it this way. Two people, same sized brain - one in a wheelchair, the other not. The former will have a tougher time - a longer or more difficult path to make his way, while the latter won't.

Bing-o?
    hedonist wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    bing bing bing bing
    I'm not sure what the mind (did you mean brain size?) has to do with it, when you're talking body size.

I look at it this way. Two people, same sized brain - one in a wheelchair, the other not. The former will have a tougher time - a longer or more difficult path to make his way, while the latter won't.

Bing-o?
    Nope wasn't talking brain size ... mind size.
    With that in mind... the person in the wheelchair may be miles ahead, those tougher times and all.
    pandora wrote:
    hedonist wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    bing bing bing bing
    I'm not sure what the mind (did you mean brain size?) has to do with it, when you're talking body size.

Bing-o?
    With that in mind... the person in the wheelchair may be miles ahead, those tougher times and all.
    I edited my post, as I don't think the OP was talking about the mind. Then again, I could be wrong.

We all walk the long road.

(plus, the ant may be facing tougher times too!)
  • I'm pretty fucking big compared to that microorganism, but sometimes I swear I feel those minuscule undulations of the rolling ridges in each grain of sand..
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    What happens if the crow eats the ant?
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,677
    DS1119 wrote:
    What happens if the crow eats the ant?

Free ride!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

pandora wrote:
    bing bing bing bing
    hedonist wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    hedonist wrote:

Bing-o?
    I edited my post, as I don't think the OP was talking about the mind. Then again, I could be wrong.

Right, Hedonist!

No, it's more big picture than that. It's more about things not being what they seem.

• kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    Sometimes that 100-yard walk can seem unfairly too long. On those days, I suggest email, texting and skype to get your communication. Suddenly, those 100 yards fade to nothing at all ...

Of course, othertimes you really want to have your phyiscal mail. During those times, if the walk is too tough and too long, simply move your mail box closer to home.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    kw18 wrote:
    if the walk is too tough and too long, simply move your mail box closer to home.

the postman might get a little upset, because then he has to make a longer trek.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    RKCNDY wrote:
    kw18 wrote:
    if the walk is too tough and too long, simply move your mail box closer to home.

the postman might get a little upset, because then he has to make a longer trek.

In that case, move home closer to the mailbox.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    hedonist wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    hedonist wrote:

Bing-o?

I don't know, aren't 'they' saying the ants are the only thing that will survive?

yeah I wasn't sure, took what he was literally talking about and made an analogy
    to our real journey's is all.
    brianlux wrote:
    [
    Right, Hedonist!

No, it's more big picture than that. It's more about things not being what they seem.
    You mean in your reality?
  • In theory,
    the human in this scenario
    is the only entity with a concept of distance.

The crow, the ant, the micro-organism,
    none of these can gauge the distance to the mailbox
    using any concrete form of measurement.
    Only the human can estimate the distance
    in terms of something that others might understand,
    like metres or yards.
    To the others, it's simply a LONG way to go.

Distance may be relative,
    but it is the awareness of how to conceive + quantify distance
    that makes it universal,
    at least for humanfolk!

Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
    pandora wrote:
    I don't know, aren't 'they' saying the ants are the only thing that will survive?

yeah I wasn't sure, took what he was literally talking about and made an analogy
    to our real journey's is all.

"They" be me.

pandora wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    [
    Right, Hedonist!

You mean in your reality?

Possibly. My reality might be similar to yours. On the other hand, if it is not, that's ok too. R. D. Laing put it this way:

“What we call ‘normal’ is a product of repression, denial, splitting, projection, introjection and other forms of destructive action on experience. It is radically estranged from the structure of being. The more one sees this, the more senseless it is to continue with generalized descriptions of supposedly specifically schizoid, schizophrenic, hysterical ‘mechanisms.’ There are forms of alienation that are relatively strange to statistically ‘normal’ forms of alienation. The ‘normally’ alienated person, by reason of the fact that he acts more or less like everyone else, is taken to be sane. Other forms of alienation that are out of step with the prevailing state of alienation are those that are labeled by the ‘formal’ majority as bad or mad.”
    ― R.D. Laing, The Politics of Experience

Dru_Cortez wrote:
    In theory,

like metres or yards.

that makes it universal,
    at least for humanfolk!

Cheers.

Interesting thoughts here, Dru_Cortez. I do wonder about the theory that humans are the only ones with a concept of distance. Might not they be able to perceive distance through sight or smell or a combination of senses without the use of devices? This also gets closer to at least one objective of the scenario presented which has to do with certain natural as opposed to human processes.

brianlux wrote:
    Dru_Cortez wrote:
    In theory,

like metres or yards.

that makes it universal,
    at least for humanfolk!

Cheers.

Interesting thoughts here, Dru_Cortez. I do wonder about the theory that humans are the only ones with a concept of distance. Might not they be able to perceive distance through sight or smell or a combination of senses without the use of devices? This also gets closer to at least one objective of the scenario presented which has to do with certain natural as opposed to human processes.
    I don't think we can know how the minds of other creatures truly process distance, among other things.

For example, monkeys who make their way by hopping from tree branch to tree branch. It involves calculation on their part.

Or, our cats getting ready to jump onto the counter...they'll sit there, wiggle their butt, contemplate the right move. They know how high they need to leap and are gauging themselves. They won't even try to do a straight jump to the top of the fridge because they know they can't make it. They may not know it's six feet to the jump because we came up with the term of feet, but I think they have their own language, if you will, that does the same.

(PS, Brian - this is a nice little respite for my brain in the midst of...today. Thanks.)
    hedonist wrote:
    I don't think we can know how the minds of other creatures truly process distance, among other things.

For example, monkeys who make their way by hopping from tree branch to tree branch. It involves calculation on their part.

Or, our cats getting ready to jump onto the counter...they'll sit there, wiggle their butt, contemplate the right move. They know how high they need to leap and are gauging themselves. They won't even try to do a straight jump to the top of the fridge because they know they can't make it. They may not know it's six feet to the jump because we came up with the term of feet, but I think they have their own language, if you will, that does the same.

(PS, Brian - this is a nice little respite for my brain in the midst of...today. Thanks.)

You're quite welcome, Hedonist. The odd thing is that I was up half the night because at the end of the day we watched the movie "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close", a film based a book by Jonathan Foer that takes a fictitious look at a boys struggle to find answers in the wake of 9/11. I can watch horror movies, end-of-the-world movies, The Shining or anything obviously fictitious and sleep just fine. Films about or based on real events that are horrible are much more disturbing to me, so I was unable to sleep and began to meditate on this concept of linear and non-linear distance (and thinking) that relates to chaos theory as well as natural vs human actions.

And then today happened.

Yes most if not all of are in need of consolation and distraction.

The lounge is definitely open and-- at least metaphorically-- the first round is on me.

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i watched this brilliant british show called COAST and in one of the episodes they spoke about how determining the length of the coastlines was dependent upon the instrument used... and how the measurements on that instrument were broken down. like if you used one of those metre wheels you werent gonna get as fine a measurement as when you used a ruler that had millimetre divisions.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    the ant might dig a tunnel.

How was the term "wormhole" coined? No one else here Time travels?
    A Tesseract concept.

:corn:
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    STAYSEA wrote:

A Tesseract concept.

i time travel all the time. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • STAYSEA wrote:

A Tesseract concept.

Only in my sleep. I wanna be a looper....

How did this brainy thread end up in AET. I'm really enoying the read though.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
    STAYSEA wrote:

A Tesseract concept.

Only in my sleep. I wanna be a looper....

How did this brainy thread end up in AET. I'm really enoying the read though.

Because it would deconstruct in AMT. :lol:

And speaking of deconstructing- part of the story has to do with equations which, at one point in time were mostly linear. That's where our idea of progress and mechanization comes from and our tendency to place all our chips on technology. The house and the mail box allegory has a lot to do with deconstructing linear equations which, so I'm told, led to the the idea of non-linear equations and eventually led to chaos theory. This has it's best analogies found in fluid dynamics but to fully understand that I'd have to track down my old friend Larry who, at the bright young age of twenty two or three received his PhD in Mathematical Computation of Turbulent Fluid Flow at MIT... (or try reading Manning's Grassland, from where this whole train of thought originated)... but I probably won't see Larry again until 2019 so...

umm, yeah, Chaos Theory. Well that's where nature comes in because most of what happens in nature is essentially chaotic... but a kind of chaos that forms an ever moving flow of change and balance- an intriguing dance that mechanisms- so far- haven't been able to reproduce.

I'm for putting my chips in with nature but I don't run the table so... well... what next?

(And please, I would love it if someone would explain time. Lines are so easy to draw but I can't seem to make a picture of time.)

Right about now I feel compelled to write something about how sometimes the line or path just seems to be going down and down only. Thank the gods of chaos and all good people that eventually things will look up again.

Basin and range, basin and range. What goes down sooner or later goes up.

• The ant ran over the micro-organism, crushing it, the crow shit
    on the ant, decimating it, and my neighbor shot the crow for
    eating his corn. Damn it!! Got to go get the fucking mail myself.

No seriously.. Animals DO have a contracted sense of distance just not
    relative distance. For example.. The ant leaves a tiny pheromone trail so
    that regardless of the distance it travels, it can always find the way back
    to its nest, and the same, any other ant in this particular
    colony can follow the same trail to and fro. Note you always see ants
    scrambling over one another along the same path, those WITH burdens, are
    returning to the nest. Those unlaiden by burdens are those returning to the
    food source. This pheromone trail is what theyarefollowing.

The Crow, has an internal mapping pattern in its brain that literally counts
    Out the beats of their wings breaths in drift time and degrees and breaths
    during banks. They also use sight mapping, so when you see a Crow land and
    start tapping on wood with its beak, they are trying to locate flock mates.
    They only do this when the map has changed. However, they have learned to
    adapt enough to take that vehicles move into account. They are very clever, and
    they are constantly adapting to the changes we make in their world. Not only
    does the Crow know how far your hypothetical mail box is, he knows how the fuck
    to find it if you were to move it.

The Micro-organism is fucked!