The Relativity of Distance

2»

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    here's my pet microorganism. damn thing pooped in the living room this morning :x :

250px-E_coli_at_10000x,_original.jpg
    www.myspace.com
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    brianlux wrote:
    Because it would deconstruct in AMT. :lol:

And speaking of deconstructing- part of the story has to do with equations which, at one point in time were mostly linear. That's where our idea of progress and mechanization comes from and our tendency to place all our chips on technology. The house and the mail box allegory has a lot to do with deconstructing linear equations which, so I'm told, led to the the idea of non-linear equations and eventually led to chaos theory. This has it's best analogies found in fluid dynamics but to fully understand that I'd have to track down my old friend Larry who, at the bright young age of twenty two or three received his PhD in Mathematical Computation of Turbulent Fluid Flow at MIT... (or try reading Manning's Grassland, from where this whole train of thought originated)... but I probably won't see Larry again until 2019 so...

umm, yeah, Chaos Theory. Well that's where nature comes in because most of what happens in nature is essentially chaotic... but a kind of chaos that forms an ever moving flow of change and balance- an intriguing dance that mechanisms- so far- haven't been able to reproduce.

I'm for putting my chips in with nature but I don't run the table so... well... what next?

(And please, I would love it if someone would explain time. Lines are so easy to draw but I can't seem to make a picture of time.)

why should time be linear when everything in nature is cyclic?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    brianlux wrote:

And speaking of deconstructing- part of the story has to do with equations which, at one point in time were mostly linear. That's where our idea of progress and mechanization comes from and our tendency to place all our chips on technology. The house and the mail box allegory has a lot to do with deconstructing linear equations which, so I'm told, led to the the idea of non-linear equations and eventually led to chaos theory. This has it's best analogies found in fluid dynamics but to fully understand that I'd have to track down my old friend Larry who, at the bright young age of twenty two or three received his PhD in Mathematical Computation of Turbulent Fluid Flow at MIT... (or try reading Manning's Grassland, from where this whole train of thought originated)... but I probably won't see Larry again until 2019 so...

umm, yeah, Chaos Theory. Well that's where nature comes in because most of what happens in nature is essentially chaotic... but a kind of chaos that forms an ever moving flow of change and balance- an intriguing dance that mechanisms- so far- haven't been able to reproduce.

I'm for putting my chips in with nature but I don't run the table so... well... what next?

(And please, I would love it if someone would explain time. Lines are so easy to draw but I can't seem to make a picture of time.)

do not question the OP. :x
    www.myspace.com
    do not question the OP. :x

thanks for the advice but you know ill just do what i want. :P
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,849
    question are the house and the mailbox at the same elevation? Where does the crow start from ? the roof , ground, or other area of roost?

Are we taking into account where the human was IN the house when they decided to get the mail?

With the USPS in dire financial straights, will this even be an issue that much longer.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    is the ant able to use gps to determine the quickest possible route?
    www.myspace.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,677
    brianlux wrote:

The line represents linear equations, linear thinking, the mechanistic world. Time? I was hoping you would explain that to me!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

The Micro-organism is fucked!

Only if getting the mail is the focus. If it's the journey, the microorganism is the luckiest of all. :)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux wrote:

The line represents linear equations, linear thinking, the mechanistic world. Time? I was hoping you would explain that to me!

i think id need at least another bottle of pinot noir to explain time to you brian. ive got some free time in march if thats suitable for you. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    brianlux wrote:

i think id need at least another bottle of pinot noir to explain time to you brian. ive got some free time in march if thats suitable for you. ;)8-)

All good! :D :thumbup: :wave:

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    What if the ant had a car?

car-insurance.png
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    How come the way back from the mailbox (or anywhere) always seems so much faster
    than the way there?
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    brianlux wrote:

Only if getting the mail is the focus. If it's the journey, the microorganism is the luckiest of all. :)

I like this... :D
    pandora wrote:
    How come the way back from the mailbox (or anywhere) always seems so much faster
    than the way there?

Yeah, I've noticed that too, whether it be walking, taking the train or driving. The return trip often seems shorter. That might have something to do with The Relativity of Time-- something I don't comprehend very well. I'm hoping Catefrances will have some good answers for us come March. :)

brianlux wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    than the way there?

Yeah, I've noticed that too, whether it be walking, taking the train or driving. The return trip often seems shorter. That might have something to do with The Relativity of Time-- something I don't comprehend very well. I'm hoping Catefrances will have some good answers for us come March. :)
    as a truck driver, I can say I've seen this first hand. The only thing I can think of is the return, we know certain markers of the trip and the end point. So while it takes the same amount of time, its known vs unknown? Therefore seems faster?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    than the way there?

as a truck driver, I can say I've seen this first hand. The only thing I can think of is the return, we know certain markers of the trip and the end point. So while it takes the same amount of time, its known vs unknown? Therefore seems faster?

Say you drive the same route two or more times exactly the same way: does it still feel shorter on the return route once you've already done it before?

brianlux wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

Say you drive the same route two or more times exactly the same way: does it still feel shorter on the return route once you've already done it before?
    after the first time, it feels the same way from the return trip on. As I said , its about markers on the trip, at least for me. Even add in a delay, time becomes relative to the distance.

I can plan a trip, time it based on miles and speed. Be accurate in timing, and it still seems like forever on the first trip. On the return, not so. because of the natural markers I see. Be they a turn, change in freeway, cows in a field, cool looking building, etc.