Options

turntable help

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    1345513_o.gif
    :lol::lol::lol: I love that gif so much. :lol:

I am still at work for another 3 hours. :fp: But I will give a report as soon as I get home and hook it up. :)
    Here's whats gonna happen--- you will hook it all up correctly, and the Klipsh speakers will sound fantastic.

Right? Right?
    It better be, because if that's not what happens I might lose my shit. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    GRAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

:|

My vintage turntable is not compatible with the receiver. :fp: Dude at the fucking store never mentioned that even though he knew immediately what I had and even knew what cartridge it takes off the top of his head. I guess it slipped his mind that there is this little metal prong attachment involved, and there is nowhere for it to go on a new receiver ...... but the good news is that there is nothing wrong with the speakers. I currently own the most expensive mp3 player port in the world. :lol: Well.......... I guess it's time for a new turntable. :fp:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    GRAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

My vintage turntable is not compatible with the receiver. :fp: Dude at the fucking store never mentioned that even though he knew immediately what I had and even knew what cartridge it takes off the top of his head. I guess it slipped his mind that there is this little metal prong attachment involved, and there is nowhere for it to go on a new receiver ...... but the good news is that there is nothing wrong with the speakers. I currently own the most expensive mp3 player port in the world. :lol: Well.......... I guess it's time for a new turntable. :fp:
    Metal prong? How fucking old is your turntable...and better yet, how old was the receiver??

Hallelujah, time to get up with the times Soul! Holy Christ!
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    :lol::lol::lol: This Thread is getting better, and better
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    pjradio wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol: This Thread is getting better, and better
    Soul, maybe you should buy an 8-track player.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    GRAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Metal prong? How fucking old is your turntable...and better yet, how old was the receiver??

Hallelujah, time to get up with the times Soul! Holy Christ!
    :lol::lol: It from 1972 or something, and the receiver was 1980. Yeah, I guess it's time... but damn, mine is one cool looking player. :( And it would be sentimental since it was my grandfather's, but really he was actually a jerk, so yup, time for a nice shiny turntable.
  • Options
    Okay, just ordered a Denon DP-300F turntable with a Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge from needledoctor.com. They said that is well suited to my receiver, and it has auto return and it was on sale. :) Was going to go with that other one you recommended, Dr. Delight, at the beginning of this thread (the $500 one), but it doesn't have auto-return, and I hate that, so they said this is just as good with the upgraded cartridge..... Now I have to wait for it to arrive. 1 - 2 weeks. waiting2.gif
  • Options
    PingfahPingfah Posts: 350
    Huh, that's very interesting, I was not aware they had done away with ground leads on newer turntables and amps. I have a 35 year old deck (Technics SL1600), and a 20 year old amp.

Not to throw a spanner in the works, but you could have grounded the turntable by just connecting it to one of the chassis screws on your receiver if it didn't have a ground post.

BUT, you seem to have chosen a decent new turntable, so it all works out. Have fun!
  • Options
    Pingfah wrote:
    Huh, that's very interesting, I was not aware they had done away with ground leads on newer turntables and amps. I have a 35 year old deck (Technics SL1600), and a 20 year old amp.

Not to throw a spanner in the works, but you could have grounded the turntable by just connecting it to one of the chassis screws on your receiver if it didn't have a ground post.

BUT, you seem to have chosen a decent new turntable, so it all works out. Have fun!
    :shock: What's a chassis screw??
  • Options
    PingfahPingfah Posts: 350
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Pingfah wrote:

Basically any of the screws that hold the amp together. The bottom (chassis) of the amp will normally have lots of little screws in it holding the chassis of the amp together, and the side and back will probably have lots of screws holding the metal outer case of the amplifier on, you'd just have to loosen one a bit, slide the prong in and tighten it back up. The ground cable just needs to be attached to any metal part of the amp.
  • Options
    Pingfah wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Pingfah wrote:

Basically any of the screws that hold the amp together. The bottom (chassis) of the amp will normally have lots of little screws in it holding the chassis of the amp together, and the side and back will probably have lots of screws holding the metal outer case of the amplifier on, you'd just have to loosen one a bit, slide the prong in and tighten it back up. The ground cable just needs to be attached to any metal part of the amp.
    Wow, had no idea. Thank you very much for the info! It was time for a new turntable anyway, since the auto return mechanism is malfunctioning and it actually looks kind of stupid next to the brand new speakers and receiver, but I will give that a try and see if I can use my system between now and getting the new table. :thumbup:
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Okay, just ordered a Denon DP-300F turntable with a Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge from needledoctor.com. They said that is well suited to my receiver, and it has auto return and it was on sale. :) Was going to go with that other one you recommended, Dr. Delight, at the beginning of this thread (the $500 one), but it doesn't have auto-return, and I hate that, so they said this is just as good with the upgraded cartridge..... Now I have to wait for it to arrive. 1 - 2 weeks. waiting2.gif
    Any pic's of your new set up Soul?
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    Looks like you will have a very nice audio setup once that turntable comes in.

You are going to notice a big change in what you hear.
  • Options
    Holy shit. :fp: I can't believe this! I got my new turntable, and they shipped it without the cartridge shell, cartridge, counterweight, and the 45 size adjuster! They just forgot! It came with the box for the upgraded cartridge, empty except for the tiny screwdriver and some screws, and a letter saying that the cartridge was proudly mounted by someone named Rachael. :problem: Thanks for nothing Rachael! You kind of forgot an important step! :fp: I have to call them in the morning, and they BETTER send me all the missing parts without any hassle!
    Another let down. First my mangled Avocado, and now this. Is there no end to people's incompetence??? :x
  • Options
    Holy Shit!

I think I'm going to lose my goddamn mind with this thread!

I'd be asking them for some kind of compensation for your troubles.

Where's the Tylenol?
  • Options
    Holy Shit!

I think I'm going to lose my goddamn mind with this thread!

I'd be asking them for some kind of compensation for your troubles.

Where's the Tylenol?
    Gotta be honest, I really felt like throwing a tantrum!! :lol: I was SO excited to receive this, and was fantasizing about which albums I'd play all night, and then I realize what's happened, and the Wha-wha-wha horn played and Nelson pointed and said ha ha. I don't know if my level and frustration and disappointment is normal or reasonable or what, but I am really irritated!
  • Options
    SomeySomey Posts: 121
    I have the Stanton but not USB, with aux. you get a pre amp booster to keep it line audio, than I use my Bose wav systems the big dog 1, and it's amazing how good it sounds.
    Somey

E.V. - United Palace Theater 08/05/2008
    E.V. - Beacon Theater 1 & 2
  • Options
    Ooooohhhhh. :shifty: Kay, I guess I'm an idiot! called them and they directed me to the outer most packing foam, where the missing parts were embedded where no one can possibly know they were there. Just looked like a solid hunk of packing foam (that I examined and still didn't see them!). He said people call about that all the time... maybe they should attach a note! But anyway, I feel silly, and apologize to Rachael, lol. Good thing I didn't throw that trantrum. :lol: :oops: Can't wait to use it tonight!!
  • Options
    SUCCESS!! :D Fuck, finally. :lol: It sounds incredible! WOW, what a difference! Kind of shocking, actually. Damn, my old system sucked. :lol: Thanks for your help and support through this trying time everyone. :lol: :wave:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    SUCCESS!! :D Fuck, finally. :lol: It sounds incredible! WOW, what a difference! Kind of shocking, actually. Damn, my old system sucked. :lol: Thanks for your help and support through this trying time everyone. :lol: :wave:
    Pic or I'm calling bullshit.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I don't know how from a phone it seems. :( Imgur doesn't seem to working for me...
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I don't know how from a phone it seems. :( Imgur doesn't seem to working for me...
    Please dont tell me your cell phones broken or outdated now! :o
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Please dont tell me your cell phones broken or outdated now! :o
    Getting older every day and driving me nuts!! This reply took at least 3 minutes to do. :lol: My upgrade isn't until April. :fp:
  • Options
    The P.T.The P.T. Posts: 141
    Hey guys, figured this might be a place to come for some turntable help.

I decided to finally getting around to opening the many vinyls I have collected over the years (which I've intended to do for what seems forever). I just never picked up a turntable, but recently was given a Crosley CR6005a and decided to give it a go.

The first vinyl I tried was the new lightning bolt and it had pops, cracks, got stuck, sounded very thin/tinny and no low end. I've heard of all the issues with that vinyl and grabbed Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here and while it didn't pop and crack, it was very thin/tinny and had no low end.

I'm running rca cables out of the turntable into my new pioneer receiver. I was expecting a much better sound... in fact it was nearly unlistenable.

Questions: Is it the cheap turntable? Is there something else I can do to make it sound better? Any tips or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,013
    The LB vinyl is a flawed pressing with lots of pops and skips. But also, your Crosley is not a very good table. Their needles damage records. So to answer your question, its probably both.
  • Options
    The P.T. wrote:
    Hey guys, figured this might be a place to come for some turntable help.

I decided to finally getting around to opening the many vinyls I have collected over the years (which I've intended to do for what seems forever). I just never picked up a turntable, but recently was given a Crosley CR6005a and decided to give it a go.

The first vinyl I tried was the new lightning bolt and it had pops, cracks, got stuck, sounded very thin/tinny and no low end. I've heard of all the issues with that vinyl and grabbed Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here and while it didn't pop and crack, it was very thin/tinny and had no low end.

I'm running rca cables out of the turntable into my new pioneer receiver. I was expecting a much better sound... in fact it was nearly unlistenable.

Questions: Is it the cheap turntable? Is there something else I can do to make it sound better? Any tips or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Does the turntable have a built-in preamp? If not, that could be the issue, because I plugged my old player without a preamp into my new receiver, and it sounded super weak and tinny. You may just need an external preamp.... But that could also be totally not the problem. I don't trevally know what I'm talking about. :P
  • Options
    So it's looking like I thought it might. I need a newer/better turntable and possibly a preamp. I'm not looking to spend hundreds of dollars here and I like the idea of watching on craigslist for something good.

Do I definitely need both a new turntable and preamp? Are there decent turntables with preamps in them? Sorry for newb questions. I don't know much about this stuff, but am currently fascinated... Wishing I didn't wait this long to figure this out. When I was watching those records spin earlier it was super cool, although it sounded like shit. :P
  • Options
    The P.T. wrote:
    So it's looking like I thought it might. I need a newer/better turntable and possibly a preamp. I'm not looking to spend hundreds of dollars here and I like the idea of watching on craigslist for something good.

Do I definitely need both a new turntable and preamp? Are there decent turntables with preamps in them? Sorry for newb questions. I don't know much about this stuff, but am currently fascinated... Wishing I didn't wait this long to figure this out. When I was watching those records spin earlier it was super cool, although it sounded like shit. :P
    There are plenty of good turntables with built-in preamps. I just bought one from needledoctor.com. Even if you don't want to buy from them, that is a great site for shopping around for options and to see what's out there for all price ranges. But preamps aren't necessarily that expensive either. You can browse both at needledoctor.com. They are also great at answering questions you have if you email them. :) .... No, I don't work for them. :lol: I was just really impressed with them when I was shopping for and buying my turntable and cartridge. I only spent $420 for a new and very good turntable with a built-in preamp and it's fully automatic (which I consider a necessity), and included an upgraded cartridge (important), which they aligned for me before sending. :)
  • Options
    I ended up spending some time on needledoctor.com and decided to go with this guy. It has good reviews, upgradeable needle, and a built in preamp. I went over to Amazon and ended up getting it for considerably cheaper.

Seems like an acceptable amount of money to spend to get started.

Thanks for the input!
  • Options
    The P.T. wrote:
    I ended up spending some time on needledoctor.com and decided to go with this guy. It has good reviews, upgradeable needle, and a built in preamp. I went over to Amazon and ended up getting it for considerably cheaper.

Seems like an acceptable amount of money to spend to get started.

Thanks for the input!
    :thumbup: