Options

turntable help

Comments

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Yes.
    You dont need a preamp then. Plug in and play.
    Yay. Thanks. :)
    actually, let me look into that more..there may be some exceptions to that rule.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Soul, how old is your receiver/brand?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    Pretty old. Not sure exactly, but it's a big 'ol early 80s one, JVC.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Hmmm, you may be ok. I'll tell you this, whenever you get your new TT, try it with the phono input.
    If the sound is sluggish/distorted, you will definitely want to buy a preamp that will give you enough juice to power the new table.
    You can always go second-hand on those in the sellers market if need be.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Hmmm, you may be ok. I'll tell you this, whenever you get your new TT, try it with the phono input.
    If the sound is sluggish/distorted, you will definitely want to buy a preamp that will give you enough juice to power the new table.
    You can always go second-hand on those in the sellers market if need be.
    Great advice, thanks for you help Dr! :wave:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BurlingtonPJFanBurlingtonPJFan Burlington, Ontario Posts: 22
    Sorry a bit late to one of the earlier posters questions, but I got the Denon 300F for Christmas. It was a great unit, fully automatic however within a couple of weeks I had issues with the sound speeding up and slowing down. Took it right back to the store where it was purchased and they suggested something was wrong with the motor. I have always owned Denon products and have had no problems, however in this case I went with a the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. It was about $100 more than the Denon, but the cartridge was worth that much alone. Plus the red colour is damn cool looking. A bit of a pain to switch speeds, but soon I will buy the Speedbox to eliminate that issue. Cant say I regret this purchase one bit.

I also don't use a preamp, since my receiver had a phono input, but thinking about buying one, since the sound level has to be increased a fair bit, even using the phono input. Many people say you will get a better sound anyway using the preamp, but this has turned into an expensive year buying vinyl now so I think I may hold off awhile longer.... ;)
    Toronto 6/28/2003
    Hamilton 9/13/2005
    Toronto 5/9/2006
    Toronto 8/21/2009
    Buffalo 5/10/2010
    E.V. on Letterman 6/20/2011
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Hamilton 9/15/2011
    London 7/16/2013
    Buffalo 10/12/2013
    Toronto 5/10/2016
    Fenway 1 8/5/2016
    Padova 6/24/2018
    Rome 6/26/2018
    Fenway 2 9/4/2018
  • Options
    sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    As for pre-amps which is a good buy for under 100. I've been looking at

http://www.needledoctor.com/Esoteric-Sounds-Rek-O-Kut-Professional-Phono-Preamp-Incredibly-Accurate-Frequency-Response?sc=2&category=36638

http://www.guitarcenter.com/BBE-FJB-200X-Phono-Preamp-103540886-i1155721.gc#customer-reviews

http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc750pp.html

Also to listen through headphones, I would just need a Volume control running from output of preamp to headphones?

Thanks for the help
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,735
    The Esoteric from Needle Doctor you listed looks fine.

Some in Lost Dogs is selling a Bellari for a really good price - more than the "under $100" you want to spend but it's worth a look:

http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=195620&p=4627501&hilit=bellari#p4627501
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    so i decided to get the carbon. I had even paid for it on needle doctor, then recieved an e-mail that they cannot ship project products out of the country :fp:

Does anyone know where to get this table, shipped in canada?
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,335
    sparky_fry wrote:
    so i decided to get the carbon. I had even paid for it on needle doctor, then recieved an e-mail that they cannot ship project products out of the country :fp:

Really? I bought my turntable from them. What I got was an email saying the shipping rates to Canada were crazy high. They asked if I still wanted them to ship it. It was about 80bux to ship it. It still ended up being cheaper than buying here. Stupid high Canadian prices :) (different turntable, but I would think shipping would be the same). This was only a few months ago.
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    sparky_fry wrote:

https://www.planetofsoundonline.com/p/Turntables based in Toronto
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    pjradio wrote:
    sparky_fry wrote:

https://www.planetofsoundonline.com/p/Turntables based in Toronto
    Just found that one too.

$449 CDN
  • Options
    So for the same price do you guys recommend the project carbon or the music hall....
  • Options
    heard great things about both...gun to my head? I'd probably grab the Music Hall. If only for that Cartridge that comes with it. I've heard good things about that.
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    sparky_fry wrote:
    So for the same price do you guys recommend the project carbon or the music hall....
    I dont see a music hall for the same price. Which one?
  • Options
    the carbon at planet of sound is 449, same as:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Music-Hall-MMF-2-2-Turntable_2?sc=2&category=351

I thought i had this decision made :lol:
  • Options
    sparky_fry wrote:

sparky_fry wrote:

Yeah, but I thought they wont ship to you?
  • Options
    they won't ship project products to canada, they offered the music hall as a replacement. Weird I know :roll:
  • Options
    sparky_fry wrote:
    they won't ship project products to canada, they offered the music hall as a replacement. Weird I know :roll:
    So, they will ship the MH, but not the Project?

If so, then yes, you cant go wrong with the Music Hall either. Both beautiful TT, with above average needles at the $100 price point.
  • Options
    heres what I got:

"Hello Matthew,

I just wanted to chat with you for a few moments about your order. First off, thank you! Secondly, is there possibly a U.S. address that we an send this to? We are unable to send Pro-Ject products out of the country. If this is not an option we can switch you into a Music Hall table which is extremely similar and performs incredibly well. Also, if this is the route we decide to take we will have to actually charge you $90.00 for shipping. Please feel free to get back to me at your earliest convenience. Thanks again.

Best,
    Rachel
    Needle Doctor Team
    1-800-229-0644"
  • Options
    sparky_fry wrote:
    heres what I got:

"Hello Matthew,

I just wanted to chat with you for a few moments about your order. First off, thank you! Secondly, is there possibly a U.S. address that we an send this to? We are unable to send Pro-Ject products out of the country. If this is not an option we can switch you into a Music Hall table which is extremely similar and performs incredibly well. Also, if this is the route we decide to take we will have to actually charge you $90.00 for shipping. Please feel free to get back to me at your earliest convenience. Thanks again.

Best,
    Rachel
    Needle Doctor Team
    1-800-229-0644"
    Ouch on the Shipping cost.
  • Options
    sparky_fry wrote:
    heres what I got:

"Hello Matthew,

Best,
    Rachel
    Needle Doctor Team
    1-800-229-0644"
    Delicate equipment... I'd be happy to pay that much to ensure that it all gets to me completely undamaged, assuming I couldn't just go buy it from a store, which is rarely possible these days if you want something decent. Hopefully that will change soon. I'd love to see major electronics stores with a really good range of turntables.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    sparky_fry wrote:
    heres what I got:

"Hello Matthew,

Best,
    Rachel
    Needle Doctor Team
    1-800-229-0644"
    Delicate equipment... I'd be happy to pay that much to ensure that it all gets to me completely undamaged, assuming I couldn't just go buy it from a store, which is rarely possible these days if you want something decent. Hopefully that will change soon. I'd love to see major electronics stores with a really good range of turntables.
    True, also going to Canada...understandable.

Let us know which one you get.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,335
    If you do order from needledoctor make sure they ship it USPS. If I remember correctly they wanted to ship mine UPS, but UPS will anal rape you on brokerage fees. On the other hand USPS will hand it off to Canada Post. You'll end up paying $10+your pst/hst/gst which I consider reasonable.
  • Options
    Zod wrote:
    If you do order from needledoctor make sure they ship it USPS. If I remember correctly they wanted to ship mine UPS, but UPS will anal rape you on brokerage fees. On the other hand USPS will hand it off to Canada Post. You'll end up paying $10+your pst/hst/gst which I consider reasonable.

good point..i heard that there was some weird fees going to canada as well.
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    Just wanted to say that this is a really good and useful thread. :thumbup: Thanks, knowledgeable people. :)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Just wanted to say that this is a really good and useful thread. :thumbup: Thanks, knowledgeable people. :)

I agree and thanks for all the help. I emailed planet of sound in Ottawa regarding getting the debut shipped within canada and got:

"Hi Matt,

Thanks for your message. Unfortunately, due to dealer restrictions, we are unable to ship Pro-Ject products to Newfoundland. According to the company that distributes Pro-Ject, West End Electronics is your closest dealer.

We appreciate your interest in our shop,
    Regards,
    Kathy"

So it appears pro-ject has local distributors for each region (in Canada anyway). As it turns out west end electronics is in St. John's and sells turntables, even though I've never been in the store before, and never knew it even existed. I picked up the carbon last night for 449 and have been spinning ever since.

Thanks everyone for the help :D
  • Options
    sparky_fry wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I agree and thanks for all the help. I emailed planet of sound in Ottawa regarding getting the debut shipped within canada and got:

"Hi Matt,

Thanks for your message. Unfortunately, due to dealer restrictions, we are unable to ship Pro-Ject products to Newfoundland. According to the company that distributes Pro-Ject, West End Electronics is your closest dealer.

We appreciate your interest in our shop,
    Regards,
    Kathy"

So it appears pro-ject has local distributors for each region (in Canada anyway). As it turns out west end electronics is in St. John's and sells turntables, even though I've never been in the store before, and never knew it even existed. I picked up the carbon last night for 449 and have been spinning ever since.

Thanks everyone for the help :D
    :clap:
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,735
    Let the addiction begin! :clap:
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    karicorbittkaricorbitt Posts: 207
    Saving to my posts :) thanks for all the info!