Options

turntable help

Comments

• Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Hi all, thought I'd ressurect this thread rather than starting my own....

So I'm looking to buy my first turntable and just looking for some advice or suggestions before I pull the trigger.

I need to buy everything, turntable, amp and speakers (and a unit to put them on!), and my budget is around £500 for the lot.

I've spent quite a lot of time researching and reading reviews, but I'd appreciate any input from people who know better than me.

In terms of the turntable I'm looking at the Rega RP1 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rega-RP1-Turnta ... s=rega+rp1

Denon PMA520AE Integrated Amplifier http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007 ... d_i=468294

Speakers I'm less sure about so would appreciate some ideas if anyone has any.
  • Options
    Bump!
  • Options
    OK I still need a bit of help if any kind soul out there could advise me.

I've got the turntable and amp, but still need to get some speakers. Not looking to spend a fortune, around £200 tops, anyone got any recommendations?
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210

I've got the turntable and amp, but still need to get some speakers. Not looking to spend a fortune, around £200 tops, anyone got any recommendations?
    The best thing you can do for speakers... go to a local audio shop, take a favorite cd with you, and ask the salesman to listen to it through different speakers in your price range.
    Whatever sounds the best to your ears, buy.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

The best thing you can do for speakers... go to a local audio shop, take a favorite cd with you, and ask the salesman to listen to it through different speakers in your price range.
    Whatever sounds the best to your ears, buy.

I'd love to do that but it's kind of impractical at the moment time wise with work and not having an audio shop particularly nearby. I'm not really looking for perfection, just something decent enough so I can start spinning the records I've been collecting up.
  • Options
    slinger256slinger256 Victoria Posts: 372
    I'll toss this thread back to the top. It had some good advice for folks looking to buy a turntable.

I just purchased a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red cartridge. Am absolutely ecstatic with everything from the quality to the sound it provides through a pretty crappy sound system. Night and day comparison to the ION USB unit I had plugged in. After a ton of research I settled on this unit as it was in my price range of $400-$500 and audiophiles reviews I read compared the play to some units in the $2000 range with very few cons some of which seemed pretty nit pick. Do a little investigative work for yourselves however as it was also a great opportunity to learn so much when making your purchase.

So I am now like others and curious about speakers. Does anyone have any recommendations in the $300 range? Obviously there is a huge range of sound from product to product but I would like something that will give my vinyl the crispest sound possible.

Thanks again to all that posted in this thread with info or advice, was helpful while researching my purchase.

Also check out needledoctor.com if you haven't come across it yet. So much gear.
  • Options
    Do you have space limitations for your speakers?

Are you looking for Towers or Book shelf speakers?
  • Options
    slinger256slinger256 Victoria Posts: 372
    Do you have space limitations for your speakers?

Are you looking for Towers or Book shelf speakers?

Either are fine. They will be going into a smaller room in the house for now. Most likely a larger room down the road but by that time I would hope to be able to upgrade. Someone told me that in my price range to stick with 2-way speakers as 3-way quality won't be worth while around $300.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    edited September 2013
    Timely question about speakers for me. I just bought new bookshelf speakers ($350 range), and I'm feeling like they might be slightly muffled or at least not very sharp. I got these to replace these cheap little speakers from a Sony stereo CD player, so I am kind of wondering if it's just me not being used to what half decent speakers sound like. :lol: Or it could be that I am clueless about getting the equalization right.... or maybe it's the speakers. They are Klipsch Synergy B-20's Any thoughts form anyone on new speakers sounding not very sharp? Is this just a quality issue (I.e. I made a bad purchase)?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Timely question about speakers for me. I just bought new bookshelf speakers ($350 range), and I'm feeling like they might be slightly muffled or at least not very sharp. I got these to replace these cheap little speakers from a Sony stereo CD player, so I am kind of wondering if it's just me not being used to what half decent speakers sound like. :lol: Or it could be that I am clueless about getting the equalization right.... or maybe it's the speakers. They are Klipsch Synergy B-20s, 13". Any thoughts form anyone on new speakers sounding not very sharp? Is this just a quality issue (I.e. I made a bad purchase)?
    You have enough power from your receiver going into them?
    How about the wiring... did you connect the proper terminals?

May sound like dumb questions, but ya never know.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Timely question about speakers for me. I just bought new bookshelf speakers ($350 range), and I'm feeling like they might be slightly muffled or at least not very sharp. I got these to replace these cheap little speakers from a Sony stereo CD player, so I am kind of wondering if it's just me not being used to what half decent speakers sound like. :lol: Or it could be that I am clueless about getting the equalization right.... or maybe it's the speakers. They are Klipsch Synergy B-20s, 13". Any thoughts form anyone on new speakers sounding not very sharp? Is this just a quality issue (I.e. I made a bad purchase)?

They are hooked up properly I think... although the connectors are not something I have seen before, with no instructions on it. I am used to just the little lever that opens a hole for ypu to sttick the wire in. These speakers have these two knobs that screw up to reveal a metal cylinder with a hole through it. So I put the wire through the hole and allowed the cap that screws down over it to wrap the end around the cylinder. I'm not sure if that's the right way, but I couldn't see any other way that would make better sense... do you know? Thanks! :)

Oh, and the receiver is a big old JVC from the 80s - one of those big silver things... I don't use a preamp, as it's not been necessary, so it's powerful enough for that ...maybe these new speakers take just enough extra power from the receiver to make a difference there?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

They are hooked up properly I think... although the connectors are not something I have seen before, with no instructions on it. I am used to just the little lever that opens a hole for ypu to sttick the wire in. These speakers have these two knobs that screw up to reveal a metal cylinder with a hole through it. So I put the wire through the hole and allowed the cap that screws down over it to wrap the end around the cylinder. I'm not sure if that's the right way, but I couldn't see any other way that would make better sense... do you know? Thanks! :)
    You should stick the wire ends thru the hole, then you just screw down the cap tightly over top the wire ends again.

If you did that right, it may be a receiver issue. What kind of sound are the speakers making? is it muffled? Do you have to turn up your volume really loud in order to get good sound from them?
    Oh, and the receiver is a big old JVC from the 80s - one of those big silver things... I don't use a preamp, as it's not been necessary, so it's powerful enough for that ...maybe these new speakers take just enough extra power from the receiver to make a difference there?
  • Options
    Yeah, it seems like the sound is more muffled on lower volumes.
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    What size wire did u run to the speakers?? I have 10 gauge monster speaker wire ran to mine......and speaker wire makes a big difference!
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    PingfahPingfah Posts: 350
    I apologise if I am treating you like an idiot PJ_Soul, but did you make sure you got the red & black terminals connected properly? Red on the speaker to red on the amp, and black to black?

If you get that wrong the speakers will still work but will be out of phase, which will make them sound shitty.
  • Options
    Pingfah wrote:
    I apologise if I am treating you like an idiot PJ_Soul, but did you make sure you got the red & black terminals connected properly? Red on the speaker to red on the amp, and black to black?

If you get that wrong the speakers will still work but will be out of phase, which will make them sound shitty.
    Lol, no problem. Yes, the red and black wires are hooked up properly.

I am considering trying a preamp... the receiver has phono input though... do preamps hook up to that??
  • Options
    PingfahPingfah Posts: 350
    edited September 2013
    I'm no expert, but I don't think a preamp will help here. Your receiver will be integrated with both a phono stage and a preamp anyway. Preamps are for use with power amplifiers that have no integrated preamp, adding one to an integrated receiver will just make the level going in too high for your receiver to handle.

I think.

Can you borrow a more modern integrated amp from anyone and test the sound? Seems like you should do that before you spend any money or decide there's something wrong with the speakers. It could be that the impedance of the amp and speakers don't match, old amps could be rate for 4ohm speakers, new amps will handle 8 ohms speakers. I don't believe it is dangerous, but perhaps it might affect the efficiency.
    Post edited by Pingfah on
  • Options
    juddboz80 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    What size wire did u run to the speakers?? I have 10 gauge monster speaker wire ran to mine......and speaker wire makes a big difference!
    Not sure what gauge, but it's what a good electronics store gave to me and no probs until I switched the speakers.
  • Options
    Pingfah wrote:
    I'm no expert, but I don't think a preamp will help here. Your receiver will be integrated with both a phono stage and a preamp anyway. Preamps are for use with power amplifiers that have no integrated preamp, adding one to an integrated receiver will just make the level going in too high for your receiver to handle.

I think.

Can you borrow a more modern integrated amp from anyone and test the sound? Seems like you should do that before you spend any money or decide there's something wrong with the speakers. It could be that the impedance of the amp and speakers don't match, old amps could be rate for 4ohm speakers, new amps will handle 8 ohms speakers. I don't believe it is dangerous, but perhaps it might affect the efficiency.
    Thanks very much Pingfah and everyone else. :) Since my receiver is 30 years old (and cost maybe $80), I am now considering just buying a new receiver and preamp (and turntable???), and am hoping that the speakers will sound better once I do (if not, I will just return them). For the time being, the little Sony CD stereo speakers are hooked back up.... Kind of sucks to spend $350 on speakers and find that speakers that came with a $150 CD player sound better. :lol: :fp:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Pingfah wrote:

I think.

Thanks very much Pingfah and everyone else. :) Since my receiver is 30 years old (and cost maybe $80), I am now considering just buying a new receiver and preamp (and turntable???), and am hoping that the speakers will sound better once I do (if not, I will just return them). For the time being, the little Sony CD stereo speakers are hooked back up.... Kind of sucks to spend $350 on speakers and find that speakers that came with a $150 CD player sound better. :lol: :fp:
    Just buy a new receiver with a phono input and you wont need a preamp...

Question, how do you have your turntable hooked up to your old receiver if it doesnt have a phono input?

And the ohms point could absolutely be an issue. I doubt there is anything wrong with the Klipsh speakers...they are a very solid brand.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Pingfah wrote:

I think.

Question, how do you have your turntable hooked up to your old receiver if it doesnt have a phono input?

And the ohms point could absolutely be an issue. I doubt there is anything wrong with the Klipsh speakers...they are a very solid brand.
    No, my old receiver DOES have phono input (if I said it didn't, that was a typo!).

Well, looks like I'm buying a receiver after work (I don't know anyone locally from whom I could borrow one Pingfah - but no probs returning anything that doesn't work for me). Thanks again for your help everyone!! I will report back. ;)
  • Options
    I gave away my old turntable recently to a friend of arq :angel: . Lost ALL of my albums last year when the basement flooded at the cottage home on Long Island :think: . Not starting over with vinyl now as much as much as I would like to. I'll spoil myself with some other over-indulgent pleasure that costs too much :shifty: .

Enjoy the turntable Antonio, hope you able to get it working again :mrgreen: .
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    I gave away my old turntable recently to a friend of arq :angel: . Lost ALL of my albums last year when the basement flooded at the cottage home on Long Island :think: . Not starting over with vinyl now as much as much as I would like to. I'll spoil myself with some other over-indulgent pleasure that costs too much :shifty: .

Enjoy the turntable Antonio, hope you able to get it working again :mrgreen: .
    I'm very sorry for your loss. :cry:

I keep reminding myself to actually insure my collection, but then I keep on forgetting again. :roll:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

No, my old receiver DOES have phono input (if I said it didn't, that was a typo!).

Well, looks like I'm buying a receiver after work I will report back. ;)
    Please do. This kind of stuff frustrates me when I cant see what you are talking about.
  • Options
    Okay, I bought an Onkyo TX-NR414. Got a great great deal on it too. It was $499, bit they only had the display demo left, so I talked them down to $299!! :thumbup:

But now I am too tired to hook it up. :lol: Tomorrow... and then, assuming this makes the speakers sound great (the guy at the store who knew his stuff thought it would do the trick too), I will spin Yield, which I got in the mail today! Yay! :)
  • Options
    slinger256 wrote:
    I'll toss this thread back to the top. It had some good advice for folks looking to buy a turntable.

I just purchased a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red cartridge. Am absolutely ecstatic with everything from the quality to the sound it provides through a pretty crappy sound system. Night and day comparison to the ION USB unit I had plugged in. After a ton of research I settled on this unit as it was in my price range of $400-$500 and audiophiles reviews I read compared the play to some units in the $2000 range with very few cons some of which seemed pretty nit pick. Do a little investigative work for yourselves however as it was also a great opportunity to learn so much when making your purchase.

So I am now like others and curious about speakers. Does anyone have any recommendations in the $300 range? Obviously there is a huge range of sound from product to product but I would like something that will give my vinyl the crispest sound possible.

Thanks again to all that posted in this thread with info or advice, was helpful while researching my purchase.

Also check out needledoctor.com if you haven't come across it yet. So much gear.

Project debut is awesome, got a red one, it looks and sounds great. I run it to a cheap behringer preamp and then to krk rokit 5's. They're 50 watt powered monitors and I really love them. They sound unbelievable and you don't need an amplifier. They're also around $150 each. There's a video of mike rocking a pair of krk's, and if they're good enough for Mike mccready, they're good enough for me.

I think speakers are the most important component of your system. If anything spend more money on them. :lol::lol:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Okay, I bought an Onkyo TX-NR414. Got a great great deal on it too. It was $499, bit they only had the display demo left, so I talked them down to $299!! :thumbup:

But now I am too tired to hook it up. :lol: Tomorrow... and then, assuming this makes the speakers sound great (the guy at the store who knew his stuff thought it would do the trick too), I will spin Yield, which I got in the mail today! Yay! :)
    1345513_o.gif
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

1345513_o.gif
    :lol::lol::lol: I love that gif so much. :lol:

I am still at work for another 3 hours. :fp: But I will give a report as soon as I get home and hook it up. :)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

1345513_o.gif
    :lol::lol::lol: I love that gif so much. :lol:

I am still at work for another 3 hours. :fp: But I will give a report as soon as I get home and hook it up. :)
    Here's whats gonna happen--- you will hook it all up correctly, and the Klipsh speakers will sound fantastic.

Right? Right?
  • Options
    rattzeyrattzey Posts: 877
    :corn:
    Walkin on a slippery sidewalk listening to P.J