Options

I am so glad I didn't go to the Montana show.

13»

Comments

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Sad ... but Pearl Jam or any other musicians or celebrities, like so many other people just see a letter (R) or (D) and vote for the letter beside the persons name

Is that right? :think:
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    brianlux wrote:
    I really have to find more time to look into this.

First I'd start with getting his name right :lol: than this is a pretty good place to find info on this issue.

Thank you. Error duly noted and changed.
    I can hardly believe the numbers. 605 wolves have been slaughtered in the combined hunts since August 30, 2012. In 102 days or a little over three months, hundreds of wolves have been wiped out. Images of their mangled, bloodied bodies litter FB and hunting forums. The smiling, grinning wolf killers are gloating in their blood bath. AND this is only December. Montana opens wolf trapping season on December 15. The Colville Tribes in Washington state are hunting wolves on their reservation.

Seven collared wolves from Yellowstone National Park have been killed.

Killed late October: 824M of the Mollies pack.

Early November: 829F of the Blacktail Plateau pack.

November 10th in WY: 754M of the Lamar Canyon pack.

November 13th in MT: 823F of the Junction Butte pack (sole collar).

Date/location unknown: 762M and 763F of the Madison pack.

Date unknown, killed in WY: 793(?) of the Snake River pack.

December 6th: 832F. Iconic Alpha Female of the Lamar Canyon pack.

Wolves are being gut shot, tortured, trapped, strangled in choking snares, arrowed and god only knows what they’re doing to them in Wyoming’s predator zone, any method of killing is allowed, including poison. Wisconsin wants to hunt wolves with dogs. A temporary injunction stopped it for now BUT the issue is being revisited on December 20, 2012.

This is the state of “wolf management” as of December 9, 2012.

We can thank the Obama administration and its Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid D-N, for allowing the Northern Rockies wolf delisting rider to remain in the budget bill, Senator Jon Tester D-MT, for slipping the wolf rider into the Senate budget bill and the majority of Senate Democrats who voted for it, USFWS for delisting wolves in Wyoming and the Great Lakes and the state game agencies of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Wisconsin and Minnesota for allowing the hunts to take place. Everyone who is responsible for the massacre should hang their heads in shame but it’s fairly obvious they’re not ashamed. This will continue until wolf advocates come together and put pressure on the politicians and feds to stop to this insanity. Wolves must be relisted!!

http://howlingforjustice.wordpress.com/

I completely agree with those you you who are against hunting wolves. This issue seems very out of character for both Tester and Pearl Jam. I've written to Senator Tester inquiring about this and will report back what I find. It is, indeed, a very unsettling question.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,131
    Guess what people, politicians represent a vast community. You won't always agree with what they do. Shocking, I know. And if you do find even 1 politician that you agree with on 100% of the issues you must be looking in a mirror.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    DC4A527A-CBA4-4DCA-AC3F-D81DF8FC4365-13251-000006A0F79F9E98.jpg

Voted YES on allowing firearms in checked baggage on Amtrak trains.

Voted YES on prohibiting foreign & UN aid that restricts US gun ownership.

National cross-state standard for concealed carry.

Tester signed H.R.197&S.845
    Establishes a national standard for the carrying of concealed firearms (other than a machinegun or destructive device) by non-residents.

Authorizes a person who has a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm in one state and who is not prohibited from carrying a firearm under federal law to carry a concealed firearm in another state:

Notwithstanding any law of any State, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing a firearm and is carrying a valid license to carry a concealed firearm may carry in another State a concealed firearm.

If such other State issues licenses to carry concealed firearms, the person may carry a concealed firearm in the State under the same restrictions which apply in that State.

If such other State does not issue licenses to carry concealed firearms, the person may not carry a concealed firearm in a police station, in a courthouse, at a meeting of a governing body, in a school, at an athletic event, in an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages, or inside an airport, except to the extent expressly permitted by State law.

Ban gun registration & trigger lock law in Washington DC.

Tester co-sponsored banning gun registration & trigger lock law in Washington DC

http://www.ontheissues.org/domestic/Jon ... ontrol.htm

Got a gun, fact I got two
    That's ok man, cuz I love god
    Glorified version of a pellet gun
    Feels so manly, when armed

Don't think, dumb is strength
    Never shot at a living thing
    Feels so manly, when armed

Glorified version of a...

Always keep it loaded
    Always keep it loaded
    Always keep it loaded

Kindred to be an American...

Life comes...I can feel your heart...
    Life comes...I can feel your heart through your neck...
    Life comes...I can feel your heart through your neck...
    Like some...I can steal your heart from your neck...

Glorified...glorified...
  • Options
    Check out the inside gate fold of a copy of Neil Young's "Everybody Knows this is Nowhere". David Briggs, Neil's producer, is holding a rifle. Or the cover of Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Deja Vu. David Crosby is holding a rifle.

Some people are into guns and hunting. Is that my thing? No. Do I dismiss those people's entire body of work because they have guns? No.

As for the wolves. I'm still waiting to hear from Senator Tester. Patience, please.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    i think the word hunting needs to be redefined. imo, hunting is killing an animal for food, to eat to survive. killing animals for fun isn't hunting. i'm not sure what it's called or should be called but there should be a difference.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    i think the word hunting needs to be redefined. imo, hunting is killing an animal for food, to eat to survive. killing animals for fun isn't hunting. i'm not sure what it's called or should be called but there should be a difference.
    Yup. I don't consider anyone owning (or photographed with) a gun as an inherently negative thing...it's when it becomes a sport - a sport I consider fucked up.

"shoot to thrill"

(sidenote - last night I was watching a show during NatGeoWild's Big Cat Week. These cats are some of the most beautiful and humbling animals I've ever seen. Leopards and jaguars - my favorites. Never, EVER, could I look at them and think, "hmmm...such pretty fur. I'd like to kill it, skin it and wear it because it's so lovely" - let alone decapitate them and slap their head on a wall)
  • Options

I agree. If it's not for food it's "killing" or "sports hunting" both of which are deplorable.

Still waiting to here from the Senator.

• Options
    brianlux wrote:

I agree. If it's not for food it's "killing" or "sports hunting" both of which are deplorable.

Still waiting to here from the Senator.

Tester supports trophy hunting, the polar bear is an endangered animal in the United States yet he wants to allow some wealthy donors err I mean hunters to bring in their trophies that they shot in Canada.

The Humane Society of the United States Releases New Report on Threats to Polar Bears
    Urges Congress to oppose S. 3525, on today’s Senate calendar, to allow imports of sport-hunted polar bear trophies

As the U.S. Senate reconvenes today, and first on its schedule is the consideration of S. 3525, a bill that would allow the import of sport-hunted polar bear trophies from Canada, The Humane Society of the United States issued a new report highlighting the threats to polar bear conservation and future protected species.

The report, “On Thin Ice: The Dangerous Impact of Allowing Polar Bear Trophy Imports,” urges Congress to oppose S. 3525 and reject a bailout for 41 wealthy American trophy hunters who want a special allowance for importing trophies from a threatened species.

"Polar bear populations are declining, and we must do everything we can to slow the mortality of these majestic creatures. Congress should not use the lame-duck session to pass a special-interest bill that puts threatened polar bears in further jeopardy,” said Michael Markarian, chief program and policy officer for The HSUS. “This is just the latest in a series of congressional import allowances for polar bear trophies, and the cumulative impact encourages more reckless killing of imperiled animals around the globe.”

S. 3525, sponsored by Sen. Jon Tester, D-Mont., seeks to allow importation of polar bear trophies already taken in sport hunts in Canada, even though polar bears are listed as a threatened species. Import of polar bear trophies was banned on May 15, 2008, when the species was listed under the Endangered Species Act. The bill is on the Senate calendar for today as the first item of business, and similar legislation, H.R. 4089, has already passed the House of Representatives.

While some argue this is just a small number of trophies, it encourages hunters to continue killing protected species in other countries, store the trophies in warehouses, and simply wait for their allies in Congress to get them a waiver on the imports. Congress has several times granted these import allowances, a de facto repeal of the import ban, sending a message to trophy hunters that they should continue killing imperiled species and will eventually get approval to bring home their trophies.

It is estimated there are fewer than 20,000 to 25,000 polar bears remaining in the wild. The only population that appears to be increasing in size no longer faces pressure from trophy hunting.

Click here to read The HSUS’ report.

Facts:

Polar bears are found exclusively in the Artic. Of the 19 populations in the world, 13 of them are in Canada. Polar bears are a threatened species that face extraordinary pressures, including melting ice, overharvesting, and pollution. The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) listed the polar bear as “Vulnerable” based on a projected population reduction of more than 30 percent within three generations (45 years) due to a decrease in distribution and habitat quality.

The polar bear is inherently unsuitable as a target for sport hunting. It is a naturally rare species that relies on high adult survival, has a low birth rate and high cub mortality, inhabits a marginal environment, and is extremely vulnerable to the effects of habitat degradation triggered by climate change and pollution. Trophy hunters preferentially select the largest adults, which genetically may be the individuals that are most needed to sustain population numbers.

The Marine Mammal Protection Act currently prohibits the sport hunting of polar bears in the U.S. and the import of any marine mammal, including dolphins, whales, seals, sea lions and walruses.

Polar bears are threatened by loss of sea ice, which they require for their survival. Trophy hunting intensifies the threat by killing bears who already struggle to survive in a changing climate. In 2007, the last full year when polar bear trophy imports were allowed, 112 polar bear trophies were imported to the United States — more than double the number from the previous year.

S. 3525 and H.R. 4089 would allow the import of polar bear trophies taken in Canada before the threatened listing became final under the ESA in May 2008. Allowing this group of imports means that a proposed listing under the ESA simply creates an incentive for hunters to accelerate the pace of killing imperiled species, in the hopes of getting in under the wire.

The trophy hunting community was aware that the ESA listing would take place for at least 16 months prior to its effective date, and trophy hunters were repeatedly warned by federal agencies and hunting associations that the final listing would cut off imports immediately and that they were hunting at their own risk. These individuals knowingly assumed the risk that their trophies might not be approved for importation.

The language in S. 3525 and H.R. 4089 is so broad that the imports would be allowed even for hunters who did not submit their permit applications before the May 2008 final listing date.

The FWS and a federal court already rejected requests to import trophies after the effective date of the listing of polar bears under the Endangered Species Act.

There is no conservation value in trophy hunting of polar bears. This is high-priced recreational hunting, and when an American trophy hunter spends $30,000 to $50,000 to shoot a polar bear, the hefty fees prompt over-exploitation of already vulnerable populations of bears.

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/press ... 11312.html
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    If you kill an animal you have no plans on eating, you're a piece of shit.
    yeah murdering wolves is a piece of shit move big fuckin time. wolves are very spiritual animals, they should be revered as such.

http://youtu.be/zd3d-9fvp7g
    take the time to watch this.
    this guy films cougars (a cougar mother & her cubs) and he shares a log cabin (built into a creek) with beavers. watch for some neat cougar footage around 10:45ish.
    so the Dutchers lived with a pack of wolves in the sawtooth mountains for 6 years. they filmed them & studied them and became trusted wolf pack members. the Dutchers are fucking way cool peeople.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    yeah murdering wolves is a piece of shit move big fuckin time. wolves are very spiritual animals, they should be revered as such.

this guy films cougars (a cougar mother & her cubs) and he shares a log cabin (built into a creek) with beavers. watch for some neat cougar footage around 10:45ish.
    so the Dutchers lived with a pack of wolves in the sawtooth mountains for 6 years. they filmed them & studied them and became trusted wolf pack members. the Dutchers are fucking way cool peeople.

That's a great video thanks for posting that.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,131
    chadwick wrote:

Man, I watched that entire video hoping to see beavers and "some neat cougar" footage, but all I saw were animals!!!! Waste of time!!!! ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Earlier this year, the Democratic-led Senate dealt a body blow to the gun control movement, when 22 Senate Democrats, led by Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., joined 40 Republicans to shelve firearms restrictions in the nation's capital.

Merely hinting at renewal of the assault weapons ban provoked 65 House Democrats, many from swing districts, to warn the Obama administration that they would "actively oppose" any revival.

Democratic Sens. Jon Tester and Max Baucus of Montana - a bellwether Western state carried by Obama - warned they would "strongly oppose any legislation that will infringe upon the rights of individual gun owners."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Dems ... z2FX2DORzE

Testers response to the proposed 2009 assault weapons ban

"It's baloney"

http://www.flatheadbeacon.com/articles/ ... s_ban/8579
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    chadwick wrote:

Man, I watched that entire video hoping to see beavers and "some neat cougar" footage, but all I saw were animals!!!! Waste of time!!!! ;)

:lol:
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,626
    I dunno man. Missoula was a really fucking good time! :lol:;)

I'm against a couple of things Tester supports, but feel positive about most of the things he supports (not that my opinion matters on this one - not even American - but I can certainly sleep at night knowing I in any way contributed to a fundraiser for him). While I disagree with him quite strongly on these issues, he seems like an honest enough guy who has the interests of his constituents in mind. It is too bad he thinks that involves the hunting issues listed (which I would not support), but I also can keep in mind that he comes from a different background and mindset and culture (Montanan) than me and most other people, and while I hope he might change his views on this, I can still appreciate that he at least seems to have good intentions and has some very good principles when it comes to the well being of his constituants, which is more than I can say for most politicians.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata