Options

I am so glad I didn't go to the Montana show.

halvhalv Posts: 680
edited December 2012 in A Moving Train
I would be sick if I knew even a penny of my money went towards Jon Tester. http://www.hcn.org/blogs/range/sportsme ... jon-tester
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    what do u care where the band gives their money???

you would pay a tix to see the band...

from there isnt your money anymore..its their money and they can give them where ever they want

as for tester..dont vote for him
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    A right-leaning democrat who connected with the people, protected their roadless land and supports gun rights is never going to get elected in Montana.

I mean, aren't they all gay cowboys there?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    While I will admit I don't know the details behind the environment in Montana and whether there are too many wolves or too many logging areas, I think we need more Senators like John Tester who don't put party first. I'm sure I'd disagree with Tester on 70% of his beliefs politically, but as a Republican I was fine paying for a ticket to the Missoula show because I felt I was supporting a candidate who was ready to work to accomplish things for this country rather than stick to the party line.

There are a lot of problems in this country, and because someone takes wolves off of the endangered species list, that doesn't mean they are evil. You have to compromise.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    halv wrote:
    I would be sick if I knew even a penny of my money went towards Jon Tester. http://www.hcn.org/blogs/range/sportsme ... jon-tester

Sad ... but Pearl Jam or any other musicians or celebrities, like so many other people just see a letter (R) or (D) and vote for the letter beside the persons name ... unfortunately that seems to be the way it is these days.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    halv wrote:

Sad ... but Pearl Jam or any other musicians or celebrities, like so many other people just see a letter (R) or (D) and vote for the letter beside the persons name ... unfortunately that seems to be the way it is these days.

You know, I hear tednugent.com is a rockin place.
  • Options
    While I will admit I don't know the details behind the environment in Montana and whether there are too many wolves or too many logging areas, I think we need more Senators like John Tester who don't put party first. I'm sure I'd disagree with Tester on 70% of his beliefs politically, but as a Republican I was fine paying for a ticket to the Missoula show because I felt I was supporting a candidate who was ready to work to accomplish things for this country rather than stick to the party line.

There are a lot of problems in this country, and because someone takes wolves off of the endangered species list, that doesn't mean they are evil. You have to compromise.

Do you realize that in many places wolves are hunted as trophy ... many hunters like to hide behind the same old sustainability or their nuisance ... which is pure bullshit.

I am not against hunting ... if its to feed one's self ... as for trophy hunting, thats disgusting ... and donating money to someone who supports this (even though they usually try to hide behind the same old there a nuisance line) may need to give their head a shake.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    halv wrote:

You know, I hear tednugent.com is a rockin place.

yeah so go visit it then ... :fp: :fp: :fp: you may not like it but many people may have different views than the band.

• Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I think it's important to visit Montana ...
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    halv wrote:

You obviously weren't at the show then, cause it fucking rocked.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,107
    dignin wrote:
    halv wrote:

Hahaha, I love this answer!!!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    dignin wrote:
    halv wrote:

:lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    WASHINGTON— The U.S. Senate is poised to vote on a controversial bill that would bar the Environmental Protection Agency from stepping in to protect hundreds of wildlife species that are killed or poisoned each year by lead hunting ammunition and lead fishing tackle. The provision is part of a bill, S. 3525, sponsored by Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.).

“It’s a national disgrace that eagles, condors, loons and other wildlife are needlessly killed every year because of toxic lead that’s left in the wild,” said Bill Snape, senior counsel at the Center for Biological Diversity. “Senator Tester’s bill would ensure that these killings continue even though it’s been shown that these wildlife deaths can be prevented with little to no impact on America’s hunters and anglers.”

Up to 20 million birds die each year from lead poisoning after consuming spent lead shot and bullet fragments left in the wild from hunting. In the United States, 3,000 tons of lead are shot into the environment each year, while another 80,000 tons are released at shooting ranges.

Earlier this year, the Center and more than 100 groups from 35 states petitioned the EPA to regulate toxic lead ammunition to protect public health and prevent the widespread poisoning of wildlife. The petition was filed by groups representing conservationists, birders, hunters, zoologists, scientists, American Indians, wildlife rehabilitators and veterinarians. The bill before the Senate would keep the EPA from taking action on lead ammunition and fishing tackle.

“Senator Tester’s bill is meant to appeal to sportsmen, but there’s nothing sporting about using lead ammunition that unintentionally kills so many other animals,” Snape said. “The EPA can finally put an end to this national tragedy, but not if Congress gets in the way.”

Spent lead from hunting and fishing tackle is a widespread killer of bald and golden eagles, trumpeter swans, endangered California condors and more than 75 other species. Nearly 500 scientific papers have documented the dangers to wildlife from lead exposure.

There are many commercially available alternatives to lead rifle bullets, shotgun pellets, fishing weights and lures. More than a dozen manufacturers market hundreds of varieties and calibers of nonlead bullets and shot made of steel, copper and alloys of other metals, with satisfactory to superior ballistics. Nonlead bullets and fishing tackle are readily available in all 50 states. Hunters and anglers in states and areas that have lead restrictions or have already banned lead have made successful transitions to hunting with nontoxic bullets and fishing with nontoxic tackle.

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/news ... -2012.html

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada is asking members to address a new sportsmen's bill put forward by incumbent Jon Tester (D-Mont.). The suggestion to address Tester's bill came on the last day of the Senate session before elections and sparked controversy between the two parties. Some Senate Republicans referred to Tester's "polar bear bill" as an election tactic, dismissing it.

The Associated Press reports that Tester's bill came in reaction to 2008 ban on polar bear trophies. The AP said a group of hunters, including two from Montana, were barred from importing "trophy" kills across the border from Canada after the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service listed the bears as a "threatened species" while the hunters were in the field.

Tester claims his bill would serve only a few hunters, allowing them to bring trophies held in cold storage back to the United States. But Michael Markarian, chief program and policy officer for The Humane Society of the United States, disagreed, saying, "The cumulative impacts of incentivizing this killing over and over again are contrary to American conservation law."

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/t ... -us-senate
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,918
    I'm always amused by people who explain to me they are against hunting and then order the steak at dinner. I have no interest in hunting anything ever, but I am a meat eater and somebody somewhere killed that animal for me. Hunting honestly is not so dissimilar to gay marriage or abortion for me. They are all things I don't want to do but don't see why others should be prevented from doing them. The "it's a free country" argument wins the day on this.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    I'm always amused by people who explain to me they are against hunting and then order the steak at dinner. I have no interest in hunting anything ever, but I am a meat eater and somebody somewhere killed that animal for me. Hunting honestly is not so dissimilar to gay marriage or abortion for me. They are all things I don't want to do but don't see why others should be prevented from doing them. The "it's a free country" argument wins the day on this.
    For me if you eat the animal killed (or someone else does), its all well and good.

However if you don't, you're disgusting.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

The problem is that these animals are protected by the endangered species act which Tester has no regard for whatsoever.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    JimmyV wrote:

Would you have a problem with me killing and eating that delicious looking canine pictured in your avi?
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    For me if you eat the animal killed (or someone else does), its all well and good.

Absolutely, for food first and foremost. I do think that hanging a dead carcass on your wall does reveal something strange about a person. No argument on that.

I know that a case can be made about overpopulation of certain species but I am not nearly knowledge enough on that to offer an informed opinion.

• Options
    JimmyV wrote:

The problem is that these animals are protected by the endangered species act which Tester has no regard for whatsoever.

I hear you. In the case of these wolves were they legitimately endangered? I don't really know the background in this case.

• Options
    JC29856 wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

Would you have a problem with me killing and eating that delicious looking canine pictured in your avi?

If we were a society that commonly ate dog I don't think many of us would have dogs as pets. I don't think comparing my domesticated dog to any wild animal is a fair comparison.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    I didn't go to Missoula to learn about the local political scene there, I went to see Pearl Jam for the first time and the show was absolutely rocking. I would, never-the-less, be interested in hearing more about why some of the band members showed strong support for Tester since they made that quite apparent. What ever their reasons for that were, however, would not change my evaluation of that great show itself.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

I hear you. In the case of these wolves were they legitimately endangered? I don't really know the background in this case.

There's a lot of info here if you're interested.

http://howlingforjustice.wordpress.com/tag/jon-tester/
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I know I am in the very small minority here who feel motives, what is in one's heart,
    is an aspect to hunting, even trophy, that should be considered.

Though we never really know another's motive we can only listen to the
    why of what they do and decide the sincerity.
    We can also try to understand though we know it is not something we condone
    or could do ourselves.

Laws to protect endangered animals should be enforced
    and more created as needed.
    Just as with pro lifers, we are grateful to those protecting life.
    We must also know it is a hunters right to kill for whatever reason
    as long as laws are obeyed.

Montana is wild, unique, breathtaking. The people who live there respect
    their land and their wildlife. Because someone hunts does not mean they do not respect,
    quite the contrary.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    who supports every legislative action by one candidate they support? If you looking for a 100% approval of action a legislator makes or has made then you are going to deeply disappointed. maybe the guys don't support THIS part of Tester's ideology. i'm sure there is not one candidate i've ever voted for that i couldn't find something he supported or voted for that i disagree with. can you?
  • Options
    Polar bear bill ties Senate in knots

http://news.yahoo.com/senate-considers- ... 09853.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — On its last day in session before the election, the Senate tied itself in knots over 41 polar bear carcasses that hunters want to bring home from Canada as big game trophies.
    After punting tough decisions on far weightier issues like raising taxes and cutting spending, Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., insisted that the Senate address the wide-ranging sportsmen's bill before voting on must-pass legislation to prevent the government from shutting down at the end of next week.
    Republicans resisted for a while Friday, contending the only reason Reid wanted the vote now on the bill long sought by hunters and sport fishermen was to benefit Democratic incumbent Jon Tester 's re-election prospects in a tossup race in Montana that could determine which party runs the Senate next year.
    "This isn't a campaign studio, It's the Senate," Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., complained on the Senate floor Friday. "We've got responsibilities to meet. Let's meet them. And leave the politics out of it for once."
    The House had passed a similar bill in April that was co-sponsored by Rep. Denny Rehberg, Tester's Republican opponent in the Montana Senate race. In the end, Tester would get only a test vote as the Senate, yet again, punted another issue until after the election.
    Tester's bill combines 19 measures favorable to outdoorsmen. In addition to dealing with the polar bear hides, it would allow more hunting and fishing on federal lands, let bow hunters cross federal land where hunting isn't allowed, encourage federal land agencies to cooperate with state and local authorities to maintain shooting ranges, exclude ammunition and tackle from federal environmental laws that regulate lead, boost fish populations and protect animal habitat.
    Tester suggested that Friday's compromise allowing for a test vote but delaying a final one exemplifies why Congress has such a poor approval rating from voters.
    "That might take some of the politics out of it and if we ever made a decision here without politics it would be an earth shattering day," Tester said. "This bill right here is a prime example of what is wrong in Washington, D.C. — it's being held up for no reason whatsoever."
    The polar bear provision would allow the 41 hunters —including two in Montana — who killed polar bears in Canada just before a 2008 ban on polar bear trophy imports took effect to bring the bears' bodies across the border. The hunters involved were not able to bring the trophies home before the Fish and Wildlife Services listed them as a threatened species.
    Tester said it would just allow a few people who have polar bear trophies stored in Canada to finally bring them home. "These polar bears are dead, they are in cold storage and we know exactly who they are," he said.
    Michael Markarian of The Humane Society of the United States criticized the measure. "The cumulative impacts of incentivizing this killing over and over again are contrary to American conservation law," he said.

• Options
    JimmyV wrote:

After all....

Bus driving's harder on your head than on your feet

Cook 'em just to see the look on their face! :twisted:
    RDS Dublin - Aug 26 1995 (Neil Young with Pearl Jam)
    Millstreet Arena - Oct 24, 1996
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Jun 20 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 26 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 16 2014
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    pjhawks wrote:
    who supports every legislative action by one candidate they support? If you looking for a 100% approval of action a legislator makes or has made then you are going to deeply disappointed. maybe the guys don't support THIS part of Tester's ideology. i'm sure there is not one candidate i've ever voted for that i couldn't find something he supported or voted for that i disagree with. can you?
    Great points. I mean, hell, even the man I've chosen to live my life with isn't 100% on the same page as I am on each and every issue.

Some things we assign greater weight to, some things we choose to overlook; we almost have to simply rationalize shit for our own purposes and happiness - and that's not always a negative. It's just life.

I think it was Drifting who said on another thread something to the effect that he'd be broke and starving if he based his buying/living choices on where every person and company stood on various issues (I'm sure I decimated that, but you get the drift).
  • Options

There's a lot of info here if you're interested.

http://howlingforjustice.wordpress.com/tag/jon-tester/

Heartbreaking stuff. Honestly surprised to see both of my Senators (Brown and Kerry) voted for it.

• Options
    A right-leaning democrat who connected with the people, protected their roadless land and supports gun rights is never going to get elected in Montana.

I mean, aren't they all gay cowboys there?

We get it you are gay, does everything you talk about have to have that common denominator. Oh yeah I am not a homophobic, I have plenty of friends who are gay, they just do not bring it up in every conversation we have.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Clearly, no one knows about all the other things Tester is about if they're completely focused on one thing that they're against.

http://www.ontheissues.org/senate/jon_tester.htm
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Clearly, no one knows about all the other things Tester is about if they're completely focused on one thing that they're against.

http://www.ontheissues.org/senate/jon_tester.htm

So it doesn't bother you that Tester wasted the Senates last session before the election so douchebags like this can hang the head of an endangered animal over their fireplace?

362CD167-AADA-4754-8B42-3F259D434A6C-2365-0000013F1F15FDBA.jpg