Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    imalive said:

might as well just declare friday a national dweeb holiday.

could be worse, could be a thread about the SF Giants....
    www.cluthelee.com
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    imalive said:

May I recommend a rental? You can probably still find it on VHS, old timer.

:lol:
  • imalive said:

Even worse. A thread about non-existent tour dates, and hotels booked all over the U.S., months in advance, to secure a good room, for these non-existent shows! Ha

Anyways, As a kid I was never a big fan of Star Wars. I watched the Original 3, they were good, but I didn't go apeshit like a lot of my friends. I never watched 1 minute of the next 3 that were released(Sith? Clones? Whatever). Never will watch a minute of them.

But the wife and I have decided to stay in this weekend, and once again watch those 1st 3 releases. Actually it will more or less be like watching them for the 1st time. Its been 40 years and I truly don't remember much about Darth, Luke, and the rest of them. Then we plan on going to see the new movie over the Holidays. I am sure it will be outstanding.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

imalive said:

Even worse. A thread about non-existent tour dates, and hotels booked all over the U.S., months in advance, to secure a good room, for these non-existent shows! Ha

Anyways, As a kid I was never a big fan of Star Wars. I watched the Original 3, they were good, but I didn't go apeshit like a lot of my friends. I never watched 1 minute of the next 3 that were released(Sith? Clones? Whatever). Never will watch a minute of them.

But the wife and I have decided to stay in this weekend, and once again watch those 1st 3 releases. Actually it will more or less be like watching them for the 1st time. Its been 40 years and I truly don't remember much about Darth, Luke, and the rest of them. Then we plan on going to see the new movie over the Holidays. I am sure it will be outstanding.
    Don't waste your time with that prequel garbage. If you do, the last 20 minutes of the 3rd one is all you need.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • imalive said:

Don't waste your time with that prequel garbage. If you do, the last 20 minutes of the 3rd one is all you need.
    Like I said, I never watched 1 second of those 3 prequels, and I never will. But we decided to make a batch of popcorn(or 3) this weekend, become 1 with the couch, and watch Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi. Should be fun.....Maybe.
    Haha

imalive said:

Like I said, I never watched 1 second of those 3 prequels, and I never will. But we decided to make a batch of popcorn(or 3) this weekend, become 1 with the couch, and watch Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi. Should be fun.....Maybe.
    Haha
    Haha! Your a bit older than me Speedy. I was 5 when Jedi came out, so I spent the rest of the 1980s pretending to have a lightsaber at every family function. I blame my cousin David, who is 4 years older than me. We eventually switched over to re-enacting Oliver Stone's Platoon in the back yard with sticks as M-16s. He always made me play a damn medic and never allowed my sister and other cousin to have guns when they played the Viet-Kong.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • imalive said:

Haha
    Haha! Your a bit older than me Speedy. I was 5 when Jedi came out, so I spent the rest of the 1980s pretending to have a lightsaber at every family function. I blame my cousin David, who is 4 years older than me. We eventually switched over to re-enacting Oliver Stone's Platoon in the back yard with sticks as M-16s. He always made me play a damn medic and never allowed my sister and other cousin to have guns when they played the Viet-Kong.
    My Star Wars memory?
    My father was a lithographer. Back when there were actually 5-6 color printing presses, the size of semis. One day he came home with some uncut sheets of Star Wars cards(equivalent to baseball cards). I remember bringing one sheet to school, and a bunch of the kids going nuts. 30 years later, and my high school reunion, one of my classmates brought up those cards. He thought they were worth thousands. Ha! After doing some research, I found out they were worth about $30. I still have those cards somewhere at my folks house. I just found it funny that 30 years later, the kid remembered those cards.
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623
    imalive said:

Cool no true Scotsman fallacy, brah.
  • eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    edited December 2015
    Dweeb holiday? Cos being a pearl jam fan is somehow better and not at all as consuming oddball behaviour as being a Star Wars fan..at all

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,144
    Seeing it Sunday morning at 10am lol
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,893

imalive said:

so true :lol:

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    The prequels aren't bad at all.

Nerds just got mad that the story didn't hold true to their fan fiction and they held the original trilogy in some sort of mystical light... while in reality it is pretty cheesy at times.
  • MayDay10 said:

Nerds just got mad that the story didn't hold true to their fan fiction and they held the original trilogy in some sort of mystical light... while in reality it is pretty cheesy at times.

Especially return of the Jedi. As if the Ewok's were any different than the kid friendly stuff in the prequels. And all the gimmicky stuff going on in Jabba's lair.

I have tickets for tonight at 1015. Gonna be a long day, but an awesome night! May the force be with y'all
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    edited December 2015
    Saw it last night. ;
    MayDay10 said:

Yes, the original was cheesy at times which in some ways made it fun. But it had a solid storyline and you were invested in the characters and believed in them. The prequels? I have to disagree with you. They are awful. So bad I probably will never watch them again. None of the characters were even likeable. Zero character development. Well, not zero, Lucas tried but failed. The storyline was non-existent and even hard to follow with all different government factions and wondering who the hell was who...and those stupid skinny robots with guns were hard to defeat? Everything about the prequels stank except for maybe the last 10 minutes of Episode III.
    Post edited by eddiec on
    MayDay10 said:

Uh, nerd here who can also spot HORRIBLE acting. The story wasn't terrible, just everything about the way it was told and portrayed.
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited December 2015

MayDay10 said:

Uh, nerd here who can also spot HORRIBLE acting. The story wasn't terrible, just everything about the way it was told and portrayed.
    I'm noticing this even more since I've been watching them on Rifftrax this week. Corbett, Murphy and Nelson are spot on about how awful they are.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    eddiec said:

Saw it last night. ;

MayDay10 said:

Yes, the original was cheesy at times which in some ways made it fun. But it had a solid storyline and you were invested in the characters and believed in them. The prequels? I have to disagree with you. They are awful. So bad I probably will never watch them again. None of the characters were even likeable. Zero character development. Well, not zero, Lucas tried but failed. The storyline was non-existent and even hard to follow with all different government factions and wondering who the hell was who...and those stupid skinny robots with guns were hard to defeat? Everything about the prequels stank except for maybe the last 10 minutes of Episode III.
    all of what he said....plus the prequels all looked and felt like cartoons with the awful cgi.
    www.myspace.com
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    The movie theater by my house is showing the film all night long. The last showing is at 4:25am.
    That is nuts.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    intodeep said:

The movie theater by my house is showing the film all night long. The last showing is at 4:25am.
    That is nuts.

Nuts that you haven't seen it yet at least twice.
    edited December 2015
    Only one showing at my theater sold out this weekend and it's 7 tonight. That's what happens when you pick a local Laemmle art house plex instead of a big theater.

Still, better safe than sorry.
  • The story in the prequels is actually laid out well IMO. One of the biggest things that would make it easy for people to dislike it is that it involves properties such as the "Galactic Trade Federation" and "Council Chambers" etc. It was probably for worse that Episode I's crawl began explaining how there was strife due to like a "tax" being implemented by a "trade federation". But the story does have to start somewhere and eventually you have a strong tale of the Emperor rising to power and conditioning Anakin to join him. Maybe it's presented with some cheesy acting and (definitely) blocky writing but the actual plot line of the prequels is sound. At least I think so.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
    Saw it.

Enjoyef
  • Just saw it and I mean you're going to have to take my word for it, like I didn't actually cry, but tears came out of my eyes 3 times during the movie. It was so beautiful
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,045
    watched last night, and loved it to bits. Thought it was tremendous
    I liked it, but dont understand why they had Jar Jar kill the entire original cast 5 minutes into the movie
  • wall232wall232 Posts: 1,346
    Awesome!
    NYPJ
  • TheiaTheia Posts: 145
    MayDay10 said:

I liked it, but dont understand why they had Jar Jar kill the entire original cast 5 minutes into the movie

Ha!
    This movie does not disappoint! Loved it. The action scenes were really well done and great humor throughout. The end leaves you anxious to see VIII.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Saw it last night and loved it. Could be the best one yet. I liked the prequels for what they were, they gave back story. The effects were too much in the prequels. I hate the updated versions of episodes 4-6. I wish you could buy the original theatrical versions. I think I have them on VHS but not sure if they were before they were updated.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer