TV Series - VS - Movies

13»

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527

homeland would sweep the oscars if it were a movie. :lol:
    +1

its soooooooooooo good!

i gotta rewatch last night's show cuz i was too tired and couldn't fully concentrate. so much shit going on.
    www.myspace.com

• homeland would sweep the oscars if it were a movie. :lol:
    +1

its soooooooooooo good!

i gotta rewatch last night's show cuz i was too tired and couldn't fully concentrate. so much shit going on.
    last night was one of the best...and the trailer of the next episode is unreal!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:
    :fp:

$'s are $'s in hollywood.

if you had a popcorn stand, and could sell a million units at $1 each or 1 unit at $1,000,000....which would you choose :corn:

i project ticket sales will be up this year.

the average person still goes to the movies 4 times per year.

hey i'm a capitalist too, my friend. you don't need to explain any of that to me. :lol:

my only point is that despite box office records, waaaaaaaaaaay less people are going out to the movies now compared to before. this is a fact and cannot be disputed.

ticket sales were up this year. ;)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    :fp:

$'s are $'s in hollywood.

if you had a popcorn stand, and could sell a million units at $1 each or 1 unit at $1,000,000....which would you choose :corn:

i project ticket sales will be up this year.

the average person still goes to the movies 4 times per year.

hey i'm a capitalist too, my friend. you don't need to explain any of that to me. :lol:

my only point is that despite box office records, waaaaaaaaaaay less people are going out to the movies now compared to before. this is a fact and cannot be disputed.

ticket sales were up this year. ;)

welcome back.

Movie Ticket Sales Are Down 100 Million From A Decade Ago

http://www.businessinsider.com/see-how- ... ade-2012-9
    www.myspace.com
    they were up this year....and ticket prices were flat.

yes, they are down from the all time peak.....but we are now moving in the correct direction.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

yes, they are down from the all time peak.....but we are now moving in the correct direction.

they are up from last year, which was one of the worst years in box office history.

it's like a football team winning 1 game one year and 2 the next. :lol:

only about a hundred million to go :thumbup:
    www.myspace.com
    81 wrote:

they are up from last year, which was one of the worst years in box office history.

actually 211 million to go. :lol:

but it's a step in the right direction.

ytd, movies are running 5.5% above 2012. i personally think it will be difficult to beat last years numbers, but we shall see.

please make sure to visit your local regal and buy some popcorn.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

ytd, movies are running 5.5% above 2012. i personally think it will be difficult to beat last years numbers, but we shall see.

Well, there's likely a few dozen superhero movies again this year, so it will be a good one $$$wise I think.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

well the wife and i were at the movies more this past year than in any year we've been together i think. certainly helps when there are decent flicks out there. better movies--more ticket sales.

gangster squad might be up next.
    www.myspace.com
    i think as the recession hit, movie producers scaled back production of big budget films and left us with low to mid level non action movies. now they are spending again and we are starting to see better films

woman wants to see gangster squad....doesn't do anything for me, but she said she would be willing to double it with django, so we might go. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i think as the recession hit, movie producers scaled back production of big budget films and left us with low to mid level non action movies. now they are spending again and we are starting to see better films

woman wants to see gangster squad....doesn't do anything for me, but she said she would be willing to double it with django, so we might go. :lol:

2 movies in one day? that is nuts.

even the smaller films were better in 2012 though. silver lining playbook was my favorite movie of the year.
    www.myspace.com
    still the abundance of quality in tv shows on hbo and showtime cannot be understated. i just started watching shameless. pretty fucking good.
    www.myspace.com
  • still the abundance of quality in tv shows on hbo and showtime cannot be understated. i just started watching shameless. pretty fucking good.

Shameless is great. Fiona is a babe. Season 3 starts on Sunday....looking forward to it.
    still the abundance of quality in tv shows on hbo and showtime cannot be understated. i just started watching shameless. pretty fucking good.

Shameless is great. Fiona is a babe. Season 3 starts on Sunday....looking forward to it.

i'm 2 episodes into the 1st season.
    www.myspace.com
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Hate that show. I shouldn't say hate. I really dislike that show. I watched the first two episodes and wanted my two hours back.

AMC joins HBO and Showtime with "Mad Men" alone.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:
    Hate that show. I shouldn't say hate. I really dislike that show. I watched the first two episodes and wanted my two hours back.

AMC joins HBO and Showtime with "Mad Men" alone.

i don't love it yet. a lot of parts are uncomfortable to watch.
    www.myspace.com
  • when mad men returns?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    i completely disagree. you check out the sets and budgets of Mad Men and Breaking Bad and Boardwalk. These shows have budgets of 2-3 million an episode. thats an insane amount of money. You can clearly see it when you watch Mad Men, all the clothes, sets, houses, everything is perfectly and specifically selected. I think thats been another big change in tv in the last decade. These shows The Sopranos, the Wire, BB, Mad Men not only have this unreal cast and crew but they also have the means ie money to make the story work. Boardwalk's pilot episode famously was made on a budget of 25 million. This is just obscene amounts of money.

Secondly, movies dont have time constraints. If anything you'd think it would be harder to come up with a fulfilling hour or 45 minutes thats compelling in tv format, as opposed to having 2 hours plus to do it in a film. Yet, time and time again, Mad Men and Breaking Bad specifically pulled it off. Every single of the 8 BB episodes this season are stories completely told in 45 minutes, and then add up to a larger whole. Each, in only 45 minutes, suck you in, make you care, challenge you, and then somehow make you want more.

I also disagree that budgets in tv goes mainly to cast. The year long, or was it more, break in between seasons of Mad Men was as Jon Hamm put it, "billionaires were fighting over money". He surely wasnt getting more money as a result. And take BB for instance. 2-3 million an episode budget. Id say the majority of the money goes to creation of this world that Walt inhabits. The beautiful and unparalleled cinematography, the insistence to make the show as accurate as possible meaning they actually do create physical labs that the real DEA instructs them on etc...

For me, theres no question. I love movies, always will, but tv surpassed films a long time ago. Its not even a controversial or debateable idea. It just is.

The reason Boardwalk Empire's pilot cost 25 million was because they built that actual boardwalk set and the costs for that were listed against the first episode. But the boardwalk gets used in every episode so the more eps they make the more episodes that cost gets divided across.

As far as tv goes there are a couple of advantages that make it better. First movies have like 2-3 hours to get you to care about the characters and tell their whole story. A tv series has 100's of hours to let you get to know the characters and tell their stories.

Plus most hollywood movies have to appeal to a broad section of the movie going audience to be successful. But with movies you can make a show that appeals to a very specific audience, make something really good that those people will really like. I mean imagine how different a movie like The Avengers would have been if they made a movie and made it just to appeal to comic book fans. TV can do things like that, especially on cable where the audiences and the budgets are generally lower.