TV Series - VS - Movies

dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
i really enjoy tv shows away better..

there are amazing shows,as Lost-Dexter-JHmeland-Breaking Bad-Bing bang theory-Modern family and more
love to watch..the production is fantastic ,the stories awesome..

is like they are making the tv shows better than movies..feels like i have to watch a great movie years now..
"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
"..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
“..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Agreed. Too many movies these days rely on special effects rather than decent storyline. A lot of tv shows are character driven, that's what keeps you coming back.

Dimi, if you want to check out a good show get on 'Misfits', It's a series from the UK, there's been three series so far. A bunch of juvenile offenders doing community service get stuck in a storm and come out of it with super powers, sounds lame but is brilliant, its a great show.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I agree with the TV shows being better today than movies. Seems like the only good movies come out at the end of the year and that's for Oscar season.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Agreed. Too many movies these days rely on special effects rather than decent storyline. A lot of tv shows are character driven, that's what keeps you coming back.

Dimi, if you want to check out a good show get on 'Misfits', It's a series from the UK, there's been three series so far. A bunch of juvenile offenders doing community service get stuck in a storm and come out of it with super powers, sounds lame but is brilliant, its a great show.
    oh..cool ill check it out....

im wastching Boss right now..like it alot
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • i think tv surpassed movies a long time ago. But its only been in the last few years people have actually acknowldged it. Ive heard multiple directors, actors, actresses in the movie industry repeat this idea. I think it probably started with The Sopranos, and HBO's programming in the early 2000's, and continues today with shows like Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and stuff like that.

I think its a combination of many things, but foremost is the talent of the writers on each show and series, and the talent of the actors involved, and in tv right now I dont think theres any question someone like Bryan Cranston or Jon Hamm or writers and creators like Matt Weiner and Vince Gilligan are bringing something to television that movies are sorely lacking.

I'd say the 8 episodes of Breaking Bad this season, were more entertaining and powerful than many any movie Ive seen in the last 10 months.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    movies > tv shows

tons of good movies to choose from....tv's show's...mostly crap
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    It's all a bunch of crap. Just give me a channel dedicated to Las Vegas and I"d cancel the rest.
  • watching Last Resort..seems intresting
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    81 wrote:
    movies > tv shows

Agreed. But I might be a bit out of the loop, haven't really watched tv in almost 2 years now ...
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Each have their strong suits. TV just doesn't have the budget, and most of the time it goes mainly to cast. Even the best TV shows have really corny special effects. Movies do have the budget, but they have time constraints and don't have the freedom to flesh out stories the way TV shows do.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Each have their strong suits. TV just doesn't have the budget, and most of the time it goes mainly to cast. Even the best TV shows have really corny special effects. Movies do have the budget, but they have time constraints and don't have the freedom to flesh out stories the way TV shows do.

i completely disagree. you check out the sets and budgets of Mad Men and Breaking Bad and Boardwalk. These shows have budgets of 2-3 million an episode. thats an insane amount of money. You can clearly see it when you watch Mad Men, all the clothes, sets, houses, everything is perfectly and specifically selected. I think thats been another big change in tv in the last decade. These shows The Sopranos, the Wire, BB, Mad Men not only have this unreal cast and crew but they also have the means ie money to make the story work. Boardwalk's pilot episode famously was made on a budget of 25 million. This is just obscene amounts of money.

Secondly, movies dont have time constraints. If anything you'd think it would be harder to come up with a fulfilling hour or 45 minutes thats compelling in tv format, as opposed to having 2 hours plus to do it in a film. Yet, time and time again, Mad Men and Breaking Bad specifically pulled it off. Every single of the 8 BB episodes this season are stories completely told in 45 minutes, and then add up to a larger whole. Each, in only 45 minutes, suck you in, make you care, challenge you, and then somehow make you want more.

I also disagree that budgets in tv goes mainly to cast. The year long, or was it more, break in between seasons of Mad Men was as Jon Hamm put it, "billionaires were fighting over money". He surely wasnt getting more money as a result. And take BB for instance. 2-3 million an episode budget. Id say the majority of the money goes to creation of this world that Walt inhabits. The beautiful and unparalleled cinematography, the insistence to make the show as accurate as possible meaning they actually do create physical labs that the real DEA instructs them on etc...

For me, theres no question. I love movies, always will, but tv surpassed films a long time ago. Its not even a controversial or debateable idea. It just is.
  • 81 wrote:
    movies > tv shows

i dont agree. As far as major networks, NBC, ABC, CBS, etc... thats accurate. But in terms of AMC, HBO, Showtime and all those channels, you really think most studios are pumping out films that equal or surpass the quality of say Dead Freight, maybe the best episode of BB this past season?
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Each have their strong suits. TV just doesn't have the budget, and most of the time it goes mainly to cast. Even the best TV shows have really corny special effects. Movies do have the budget, but they have time constraints and don't have the freedom to flesh out stories the way TV shows do.

i completely disagree. you check out the sets and budgets of Mad Men and Breaking Bad and Boardwalk. These shows have budgets of 2-3 million an episode. thats an insane amount of money. You can clearly see it when you watch Mad Men, all the clothes, sets, houses, everything is perfectly and specifically selected. I think thats been another big change in tv in the last decade. These shows The Sopranos, the Wire, BB, Mad Men not only have this unreal cast and crew but they also have the means ie money to make the story work. Boardwalk's pilot episode famously was made on a budget of 25 million. This is just obscene amounts of money.

Secondly, movies dont have time constraints. If anything you'd think it would be harder to come up with a fulfilling hour or 45 minutes thats compelling in tv format, as opposed to having 2 hours plus to do it in a film. Yet, time and time again, Mad Men and Breaking Bad specifically pulled it off. Every single of the 8 BB episodes this season are stories completely told in 45 minutes, and then add up to a larger whole. Each, in only 45 minutes, suck you in, make you care, challenge you, and then somehow make you want more.

I also disagree that budgets in tv goes mainly to cast. The year long, or was it more, break in between seasons of Mad Men was as Jon Hamm put it, "billionaires were fighting over money". He surely wasnt getting more money as a result. And take BB for instance. 2-3 million an episode budget. Id say the majority of the money goes to creation of this world that Walt inhabits. The beautiful and unparalleled cinematography, the insistence to make the show as accurate as possible meaning they actually do create physical labs that the real DEA instructs them on etc...

For me, theres no question. I love movies, always will, but tv surpassed films a long time ago. Its not even a controversial or debateable idea. It just is.

I didn't say that TV shows have no production value, they just have a tighter budget to work with than movies do. It costs about 2.5 milion to make a 45 minute episode, so lets say 2 episodes equal a movie in length, they are spending 5 million, even the cheapest of movies (though I know there are exceptions) cost way more to make than that. The budget really shows up in shows that use special effects, they always look so much cheaper than what the films have, because they don't have the budget.

An obscene budget for a TV show is still tame compared to films. I don't know if productions are just too bloated or what, but they do cost much more to make.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    Pulp Fiction vs. any tv show.....Pulp Fiction.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    81 wrote:

8-)
  • 81 wrote:
    18 years ago..

tv shoes wasnt the same was 18 years ago...

every year there are 1-2 shows kick ass,,,and some there are already in 4-5 -6 seasons..

movies??cant remember when i saw the last top one..must be years ago
  • 81 wrote:
    18 years ago..

every year there are 1-2 shows kick ass,,,and some there are already in 4-5 -6 seasons..

I don't watch tv that much except when I'm at the gym. Tv shows now are much better than years ago. If I watch a movie most of the time, I wait until it comes out on dvd. Then I can watch it at home and be comfortable and eat what I want. Except if Magic Mike is playing. ;) Can't wait for the second one to come out. :D
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • i think the larger point being, budgets for the premium channels have never been as high. But compared to some 200 million dollar summer blockbuster, yeah, the budget of the tv shows pale in comparison.

that said, i dont think the weakness of Mad Men or Breaking Bad is that if only they had 100 million extra for the budget the show would be so amazing. I think its clear, they make do, more than make do with the 2.5 million they have.

BB had 8 episodes. And 45 minutes each episode. When watching those shows I wasnt wishing for anything more, they more than delivered. These shows, are of cinematic quality, and as I talked about before, it used to be considered less prestigious for an actor to be on tv versus being on film. Nowadays I think most stars and actors would love to be able to work with the quality of writers and crew that create shows like Mad Men

In fact, theres been rumors the final episode of BB will be a movie, and that idea isnt too popular among fans. It wouldnt and couldnt add anything that a regular AMC episode couldnt add. Having a bigger budget isnt a hindrance for these shows.

Indeed the budget (2.5 million) certainly is a plus but thats the whole point, they are able to create this film quality experience in just 45 minutes with a cast and crew that are the best in the buisness.

Budgets and time constraints arent issues. In terms of why tv is superior to film in 2012, I think we have to delve deeper than budgets.
  • i just dont think its even a debateable issue. yeah i'll go gladly see DDL when Lincoln opens, and i'll check out all the other cool films, but in terms of quality productions and projects, tv blows movies out of the water
  • 81 wrote:
    18 years ago..

I don't watch tv that much except when I'm at the gym. Tv shows now are much better than years ago. If I watch a movie most of the time, I wait until it comes out on dvd. Then I can watch it at home and be comfortable and eat what I want. Except if Magic Mike is playing. ;) Can't wait for the second one to come out. :D
    true about mike... :D

i dont watch tv here at all..same as usa channels.or any other country.but i read reviews,see what tv show is new etc..
    so then i downlaod them via torrent and watch them..
    its easy for me this way,cos i dont have to be in tv specific day and hour,no need to wait for commercial to end,can take a break during the episode and continue later on..
  • i think part of it has to do with the fact most people dont have the money to spend 10-15 bucks at the movies anymore, just as they dont have the income to buy albums. Most people either torrent or stream or download. most people dont gather to watch a show anymore. they dvr it. or watch it on hulu. or buy the entire season on blu ray and watch it all Portlandia style in one marathon. Or they buy episodes from amazon, one by one, after each episode airs. Or buy via Itunes. Or watch on Netflix. The idea of sitting in a dark room, and going out to see a movie no longer is a reality for most people. And I also think when HBO started making shows like The Sopranos, these epic, cinematic, extremely well crafted and written, and acted shows, people started to become aware that they could depend on HBO or whoever to craft an excellent show. its like a brand. If HBO or Showtime creates a show you know its going to be good. Treme is a damn good show. Is it as good as the Wire? No, but because it had the same creator as The Wire, and was an HBO production, it was guaranteed to be good. You have less of that in film in 2012. Less sure bets.

If anything, it would seem the Hollywood scene would be running to be involved with an HBO production as opposed to HBO crews leaving to go Hollywood. You see that time and time again, these stars begging to be involved with these shows.
  • musicismylife78 has some great points
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    The tides have turned on this debate...
    Movies have become mass produced, cookie cutter and unoriginal (for the most part)...
    HBO, AMC, Showtime and the like have taken what was great in movies and incorporated them...
    Now-a-days, its seems I'm far more excited for the # of TV programs/series, then movies...

Example:
    I cannot wait for the Hobbit, Lincoln & Django Unchained - as far as movies in a theater go...and that's about it, really.

I cannot wait for Boardwalk Empire, Treme, Newsroom, Veep, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, etc...

I (personally) seem more excited about the quality programming on HBO, AMC then movies in recent years.

Growing up I couldn't wait for the Scorsese, Coen Bros, Tarantino releases - felt like a holiday!
    Now, as you can see, these big timers are getting more and more involved with quality TV, documentaries for TV...
    The HBO's and AMC's have changed the landscape and tilted it in favor of the boob tube. (IMO) Also, Netflix and PPV Movies have taken a little luster off the big screen. There seems to be way more of an attitude of "I'll wait for it to come on HBO, rent it, Netflix, etc..." then years ago...$$$ has some to do with it, but I'll be there opening day for Django, Hobbit and Lincoln - just like I was for Avengers. Regardless of price.

Great debate.
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • PJFAN13 wrote:
    The tides have turned on this debate...
    Movies have become mass produced, cookie cutter and unoriginal (for the most part)...
    HBO, AMC, Showtime and the like have taken what was great in movies and incorporated them...
    Now-a-days, its seems I'm far more excited for the # of TV programs/series, then movies...

Example:
    I cannot wait for the Hobbit, Lincoln & Django Unchained - as far as movies in a theater go...and that's about it, really.

I cannot wait for Boardwalk Empire, Treme, Newsroom, Veep, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, etc...

I (personally) seem more excited about the quality programming on HBO, AMC then movies in recent years.

Growing up I couldn't wait for the Scorsese, Coen Bros, Tarantino releases - felt like a holiday!
    Now, as you can see, these big timers are getting more and more involved with quality TV, documentaries for TV...
    The HBO's and AMC's have changed the landscape and tilted it in favor of the boob tube. (IMO) Also, Netflix and PPV Movies have taken a little luster off the big screen. There seems to be way more of an attitude of "I'll wait for it to come on HBO, rent it, Netflix, etc..." then years ago...$$$ has some to do with it, but I'll be there opening day for Django, Hobbit and Lincoln - just like I was for Avengers. Regardless of price.

Great debate.
    you are right..and btw,any news when Veep season 2 will come back???love the humor of this show!!
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Usually I would say movies, but lately, Hollywood has been so lame with what it's putting on the big screen that the small screen is kinda taking over. Right now I'd much rather watch Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, The Newsroom, etc. than most of the stuff coming out in the world of feature films.
  • Heisenberg wrote:
    Usually I would say movies, but lately, Hollywood has been so lame with what it's putting on the big screen that the small screen is kinda taking over. Right now I'd much rather watch Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, The Newsroom, etc. than most of the stuff coming out in the world of feature films.
    i agree
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    edited October 2012
    HBO, AMC, and Showtime are knocking it out of the park.

Homeland
    Breaking Bad
    Dexter
    Mad Men
    Game of Thrones
    Treme
    Walking dead

Its been years since i had 7 shows i considered must see TV

ABC NBC CBS and FOX still don't get it but those that do are takign avantage.Hell you are even seeing movie stars making apperances on TV shows now and that used to be kiss of death (Claire Danes, don Cheadle, Steve Buscemi, and others)
    Post edited by intodeep on
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    i think part of it has to do with the fact most people dont have the money to spend 10-15 bucks at the movies anymore, just as they dont have the income to buy albums.

i would disagree.

movies are on pace to post thier best year ever at the box office.

http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/?view2= ... ate&p=.htm
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    81 wrote:
    i think part of it has to do with the fact most people dont have the money to spend 10-15 bucks at the movies anymore, just as they dont have the income to buy albums.

i would disagree.

That's because prices are going up, but haven't the actual attendance numbers been down or steady?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    Better Dan wrote:
    81 wrote:

i would disagree.

That's because prices are going up, but haven't the actual attendance numbers been down or steady?

they have been on a slight downward path. imax/3d/general inflation has contributed to total box office revenue being up.

don't see a ytd ticket comparison page

big jump in avg ticket prices was 09-10 when it jumped about 50 cents. over the last couple of years, they have only gone marginally
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I have been disappointed in the last few movies I spent money on. Promethius was the last movie I saw, IMAX 3-D. It was :|
    Personally, I'd rather save the money, and stay home and rent it on On Demand. (regular matinee movies cost the same as an On Demand movie now) I don't like being stuck in a dark room with a bunch of annoying people.

Most TV shows, have fan sites, forums, viewers go there, get all nerdy and talk about the show, what they like/dislike, I would bet that producers/writers frequent the forums, and adjust the show for fans. Not totally, but I'll bet they take suggestions into consideration ...movies, usually just get a one shot deal.

I will say though, I went to see one of those 'sneak previews' of a movie, and a few of the producers were mixed into the crowd to watch the audience's reactions and they edited the film accordingly. I never watched the 'official release' so I don't know what they changed.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless