TV Series - VS - Movies

Comments

• I was just wondering this yesterday.

81, good point on Pulp fiction. The best movies will always be better than most TV shows.
    But lately, I have found that myself and many of my friends are seeing less movies because the people in the theaters simply suck donkey balls and are disrespectful. But that might just be south florida. :fp: Plus, TVs and home theaters are getting easier and more affordable. My new TV is slick.

But lately, I've found myself watching a lot of TV series on netflix. (I actually have rabbit ears on that slick 50 inch :lol: ) I like these tv shows because i've had less time lately, and its easier to watch a 45 minute episode of the walking dead. I was blown away by the production of that show too. The first zombie you see, cut in half and crawling along the road...That shit looked real. I was very surprised, as I thought it would be cheesy, but it wasnt.

I'm loving the production on Game of Thrones too.
    Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Dexter, Treme...all good shows.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I have been disappointed in the last few movies I spent money on. Promethius was the last movie I saw, IMAX 3-D. It was :|
    Personally, I'd rather save the money, and stay home and rent it on On Demand. (regular matinee movies cost the same as an On Demand movie now) I don't like being stuck in a dark room with a bunch of annoying people.

Most TV shows, have fan sites, forums, viewers go there, get all nerdy and talk about the show, what they like/dislike, I would bet that producers/writers frequent the forums, and adjust the show for fans. Not totally, but I'll bet they take suggestions into consideration ...movies, usually just get a one shot deal.

I will say though, I went to see one of those 'sneak previews' of a movie, and a few of the producers were mixed into the crowd to watch the audience's reactions and they edited the film accordingly. I never watched the 'official release' so I don't know what they changed.

i've not seen an imax movie since something at cedar point 20 years ago.

never seen a 3d movie

i enjoy going to the theater and getting popcorn and sneaking in my soda

depending on the theater, i can do a mantinee for 5 bucks and catch a couple of movies.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    But lately, I have found that myself and many of my friends are seeing less movies because the people in the theaters simply suck donkey balls and are disrespectful. But that might just be south florida.

they can suck here too...

genearlly, most people are good about turning off phones and putting them away (my biggest pet peeve)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I'm more of a TV series person. I don't watch a lot of TV really, but the shows I do watch I'm totally loyal to. Pretty much anything on HBO and if I had Showtime I'd be into those too. I think one of the main differences is that these premium channels are really starting to make some very thought-provoking and clever shows. They know they need the audience to come back. Movies coming out these days are regurgitated crap for the most part. So many remakes and the new stuff that is coming out is soooo predictable. They get these big blockbusters and the 3-d and Imax and all that to trick you into thinking they're feeding you something worth your time. Most of the time, sadly, it's not. And will Kevin James just stop? Please!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • 81 wrote:
    But lately, I have found that myself and many of my friends are seeing less movies because the people in the theaters simply suck donkey balls and are disrespectful. But that might just be south florida.

they can suck here too...

genearlly, most people are good about turning off phones and putting them away (my biggest pet peeve)

I went to see a 11:30pm rated R comdey a few months back, and OF COURSE, as the movie is starting a couple trounces in and sits in the last remaining seats right next to me, with their 2-3 year old. That kid was running the aisles and yakking the whole movie. I asked her nicely if she could contain her child, and she got snappy with me. Just ridiculoouss. Howver, the theater gave me two free passes when I asked what their policy was on toddlers in R movies, so that was sweet.
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    And will Kevin James just stop? Please!

:lol::clap:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • i think 3d or IMAX when done well is worth it. Hugo in 3d was life changing. Such a beautiful film and so incredibly shot, this is why 3d was made in film. I never saw Avatar in 3d but I assume that was pretty epic. Although yes, nowadays nearly every big time movie is released in 3d. And i certainly dont have the money to see them in 3d so I usually opt to see any movie in regular.

Fewer people go see films in theaters nowadays. For one, its so incredibly expensive. This of course dovetails with 3d and IMAX because that increases the price of admission obviously. Ive found its way cheaper to just wait until the films come out on video, and Amazon for instance, alot of times sells/rents films for 2.99 or 3.99, way cheaper than most theaters

I just think the writers and creators who used to move to hollywood to try and make it in movies now are trying to worm their way into HBO and Showtime and IFC etc... Ed and Corin appearing in Portlandia is a great example. I dont think they would have appeared on just any old show, Portlandia is hilarious and on point.

I think it goes back to what I was saying, the budgets for these premium channels are enormous compared to an ABC or NBC production, and they have collected some of the greatest writers and crew in the buisness. They literally cant lose, and havent.

And i think if you monitor stuff like IMDB news, you will see alot of film industry people saying much the same thing. Soderbergh for example mulled retiring because of this very issue, why should he make films when the real talent seems to be in tv?
  • i think 3d or IMAX when done well is worth it. Hugo in 3d was life changing. Such a beautiful film and so incredibly shot, this is why 3d was made in film. I never saw Avatar in 3d but I assume that was pretty epic. Although yes, nowadays nearly every big time movie is released in 3d. And i certainly dont have the money to see them in 3d so I usually opt to see any movie in regular.

Fewer people go see films in theaters nowadays. For one, its so incredibly expensive. This of course dovetails with 3d and IMAX because that increases the price of admission obviously. Ive found its way cheaper to just wait until the films come out on video, and Amazon for instance, alot of times sells/rents films for 2.99 or 3.99, way cheaper than most theaters

I just think the writers and creators who used to move to hollywood to try and make it in movies now are trying to worm their way into HBO and Showtime and IFC etc... Ed and Corin appearing in Portlandia is a great example. I dont think they would have appeared on just any old show, Portlandia is hilarious and on point.

I think it goes back to what I was saying, the budgets for these premium channels are enormous compared to an ABC or NBC production, and they have collected some of the greatest writers and crew in the buisness. They literally cant lose, and havent.

And i think if you monitor stuff like IMDB news, you will see alot of film industry people saying much the same thing. Soderbergh for example mulled retiring because of this very issue, why should he make films when the real talent seems to be in tv?
    i really like to read your analysis :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    81 wrote:
    i think part of it has to do with the fact most people dont have the money to spend 10-15 bucks at the movies anymore, just as they dont have the income to buy albums.

i would disagree.

movies are on pace to post thier best year ever at the box office.

http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/?view2= ... ate&p=.htm

all time thanksgiving record this year....

now running 3.2% of the all time record year and 6.7% ahead of last year.

movies and theater expierence isn't quite dead yet.

and i'll still take a good movie over a tv series.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    boardwalk, homeland, and dexter this year have all been better than most movies i have seen in recent years.

sunday night television in the fall is amazingly good.
    www.myspace.com
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    i think part of it has to do with the fact most people dont have the money to spend 10-15 bucks at the movies anymore, just as they dont have the income to buy albums.

i would disagree.

movies are on pace to post thier best year ever at the box office.

all time thanksgiving record this year....

now running 3.2% of the all time record year and 6.7% ahead of last year.

movies and theater expierence isn't quite dead yet.

and i'll still take a good movie over a tv series.

those numbers are misleading. it's because tickets cost more.
    www.myspace.com

we already went over that. last couple of years, ticket prices have only maginally gone up.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

we already went over that. last couple of years, ticket prices have only maginally gone up.

i haven't read the whole thread...

but when they talk about "all time" records...most of the movies in those lists are from the last 10 years or so because ticket prices are way higher these days compared to years past. the reality is less and less people are actually going to the theater:

http://business.time.com/2012/02/16/mos ... -nowadays/

Most People Rarely—Or Never—Go to the Movies Nowadays

By Brad TuttleFeb. 16, 2012Add a Comment

Average movie-ticket price edges up to a record $7.93 for 2011 Los Angeles Times
    Movie Ticket Prices Hit All-Time High in 2011 Hollywood Reporter

If you still go to the movies fairly regularly, you’re in the minority, according to a new survey.

On the behalf of CouponCabin, Harris Interactive conducted a poll gauging consumer interest in hitting the movie theater. For the most part, interest is fading.

Slightly more than 6 in 10 (61%) of adults said that they rarely or never go out to the movies. What’s more, of those who do go to the movies, more than half (55%) said that they go see films less often now than they did before the recession. Here’s one possible explanation for why there’s so much elbow room in movie theaters of late:

“Entertainment spending, like going to the movies, is often one of the first things to go when consumers try to cut back,” said Jackie Warrick, President and Chief Savings Officer at CouponCabin.com.

Well, actually, no. That’s not really the case. During the onset of the recession, there was actually a record-setting uptick in movie tickets sold, especially for silly, take-your-mind-off-things films like “Paul Blart: Mall Cop.” The theory is that, when the economy turns south, there’s a rise in affordable splurges like romance novels and donuts because people want to treat themselves in minor, inexpensive ways.

The National Association of Theatre Owners notes that “movie theaters do especially well during economic downturns,” and that during six of the past eight recessions in the U.S., box office and admissions sales increased. So theaters can’t use “the economy’s bad” as an excuse for lame sales.

Movie theaters fared quite poorly during the economically shaky year of 2011. Last year saw the fewest movie tickets sold since 1995, with overall revenues dropping by 4.5% compared to 2010—despite the fact that theaters were receiving the highest-ever amount per moviegoer. For a spell recently, the average ticket sold crossed the $8 threshold for the first time ever, thanks partly to the spread of pricier 3-D films. Overall, reported the Los Angeles Times and others, the average ticket price for 2011 was $7.93, up from $7.89 in 2010.

During tough economic times, consumers will always seek out affordable splurges. It just seems like, for many people, going to the movies no longer seems all that affordable, nor particularly worth the money. A family of four can easily expect to pay $75 or more for treats at the theater and admissions to an 85-minute movie—that you’ll surely be able to buy for less than $10 a few months down the line.

Perhaps, then, people are staying away from movie theaters not because the economy’s bad, but because movies cost too damn much. And because the movies being shown aren’t particularly good. And because paying an extra $5 for a mediocre film in 3-D is a rip-off. And because most households are already paying around $100 a month for cable and movie channels at home, as well as another $9 or more for Netflix or some other service. And because a DVD rental at Redbox costs just a bit over $1. And … well, you get the picture.

Read more: http://business.time.com/2012/02/16/mos ... z2DLDcH3GC
    www.myspace.com
    like i said earlier in the thread, marginal uptick in ticket prices over the last couple of years......

btw, looking at candy bar prices the other day...and they wanted 89 cents for a reg. snickers. i remember when it was less than 50 ;)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    like i said earlier in the thread, marginal uptick in ticket prices over the last couple of years......

btw, looking at candy bar prices the other day...and they wanted 89 cents for a reg. snickers. i remember when it was less than 50 ;)

the point is you have to look at actual tickets sold, not total revenue. ticket prices over the last 5-10 years are way higher than they used to be. that is why all of these movies breaking "all time" records that were set within the past few years.

actual tickets sold are way less...they just cost more.
    www.myspace.com
    edited November 2012
    ticket prices this year are only up a penny.

i agree, it's important to look at tickets sold.....but at the same time, you still need to look at revenue, since cash is king.

as a film maker, at the end of the day, i don't care about tickets sold, i care about revenue. theater operators are a little in between....they are a bit more interested in number of tickets sold, as that translates to more popcorn revenue.
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    all time box office (actual tickets sold/not just total revenue):
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/ad ... r=1&p=.htm

Title (click to view) Studio Est. Tickets Unadjusted Gross Year^
    1 Gone with the Wind MGM 202,044,600 $198,676,459 1939^
    2 Star Wars Fox 178,119,600 $460,998,007 1977^
    3 The Sound of Music Fox 142,415,400 $158,671,368 1965
    4 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial Uni. 141,854,300 $435,110,554 1982^
    5 Titanic Par. 135,474,500 $658,672,302 1997^
    6 The Ten Commandments Par. 131,000,000 $65,500,000 1956
    7 Jaws Uni. 128,078,800 $260,000,000 1975
    8 Doctor Zhivago MGM 124,135,500 $111,721,910 1965
    9 The Exorcist WB 110,599,200 $232,906,145 1973^
    10 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Dis. 109,000,000 $184,925,486 1937^
    www.myspace.com
    81 wrote:
    ticket prices this year are only up a penny.

i agree, it's important to look at tickets sold.....but at the same time, you still need to look at revenue, since cash is king.

no. the point being argued is that less people are going to the movies, not how much revenue is being generated. :lol: nobody is arguing that revenue is down...

(and it's up $2.00 in just 10 years--a huge increase...that is why most of the highest grossing movies of all time have come out in the last decade despite less people seeing them)
    www.myspace.com
    all time box office (actual tickets sold/not just total revenue):
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/ad ... r=1&p=.htm

Title (click to view) Studio Est. Tickets Unadjusted Gross Year^
    1 Gone with the Wind MGM 202,044,600 $198,676,459 1939^
    2 Star Wars Fox 178,119,600 $460,998,007 1977^
    3 The Sound of Music Fox 142,415,400 $158,671,368 1965
    4 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial Uni. 141,854,300 $435,110,554 1982^
    5 Titanic Par. 135,474,500 $658,672,302 1997^
    6 The Ten Commandments Par. 131,000,000 $65,500,000 1956
    7 Jaws Uni. 128,078,800 $260,000,000 1975
    8 Doctor Zhivago MGM 124,135,500 $111,721,910 1965
    9 The Exorcist WB 110,599,200 $232,906,145 1973^
    10 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Dis. 109,000,000 $184,925,486 1937^

the avengers broke all kinds of box office records this year right? where does it rank all time on number of tickets sold?

.....27th.

this discussion has officially ended. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    :fp:

$'s are $'s in hollywood.

if you had a popcorn stand, and could sell a million units at $1 each or 1 unit at $1,000,000....which would you choose :corn:

i project ticket sales will be up this year.

the average person still goes to the movies 4 times per year.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

if you had a popcorn stand, and could sell a million units at $1 each or 1 unit at $1,000,000....which would you choose :corn:

hey i'm a capitalist too, my friend. you don't need to explain any of that to me. :lol:

my only point is that despite box office records, waaaaaaaaaaay less people are going out to the movies now compared to before. this is a fact and cannot be disputed.
    www.myspace.com
    81 wrote:

hey i'm a capitalist too, my friend. you don't need to explain any of that to me. :lol:

my only point is that despite box office records, waaaaaaaaaaay less people are going out to the movies now compared to before. this is a fact and cannot be disputed.

back on topic...the greatness of movies....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • just name a movie the last 10 years,than is better than Homeland..
    no fuckin way
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    just name a movie the last 10 years,than is better than Homeland..
    no fuckin way

Inglourious Basterds
    Grindhouse
    The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo
    No Country for old men
    Sin City

just to name a few

and just for fun

PJ20 :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    no fuckin way

Inglourious Basterds
    Grindhouse
    No Country for old men
    Sin City

just to name a few

and just for fun

not even close with homeland....i guess u dont watch it..

and i take The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo answer as a joke ofcouse..
    why would you take the girl with a dragon tat as a joke? very solid movie
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    cos not even close of the level of No Country for old men or Inglourious Basterds
    81 wrote:
    cos not even close of the level of No Country for old men or Inglourious Basterds

i agree, and would put it behind those two, but i would also put it in my top 25 list of the past decade
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    81 wrote:
    no fuckin way

Inglourious Basterds
    Grindhouse
    No Country for old men
    Sin City

just to name a few

and just for fun

Throw in "There Will Be Blood" and "The Departed"
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    dkr and lincoln were the only 2 "great" movies i can remember seeing this year. others were good (flight) but not what i would call great.

i'm in awe of the sunday night shows' greatness on a weekly basis.

homeland would sweep the oscars if it were a movie. :lol:
    www.myspace.com

• homeland would sweep the oscars if it were a movie. :lol:
    +1