Options

Final word on GA vs Seating - Mr Neil Young

124»

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,630
    PJ_Soul wrote:

How early can we line up in the parking lot? There will always be a line...for a spot or for a stamp.
    That doesn't matter, because it's not a line and means nothing. First person to the person taking names and stamping hands at ?:?? o'clock gets it (and really, as long as you're the first 50 - 100 people, it's really a moot issue, no? Surely no one is crazy enough to fight someone for #1 when they are #10! If they do, then fuck them. An additional line in the parking lot would just be orderliness gone wild. :lol:

I'm not trying to argue. It is good to think out of the box. But, eventually there will be a line formed in front of the person giving out the stamps. So to be in that first 50 you are going to have to get to the parking lot early to get in a good spot to reach the stamp line first. Then, you are going to be pissed when 40 friends of the people in front of you stop by to stand next to their friends. So to not have the friend issue you'll get to the parking lot at 6:00pm so you know you'll be front of the stamp line. Soon enough, you'll start making a list of all the people who got to the stamp line early so you can go to the McDonalds for a burger and coffee.

Just like there is a line to get GA tickets early, there will be a line to get the early entry stamp.
    Foot race from the parking lot. So fair, no line up necessary. :thumbup: If you're a big enough fan, you will start training even before the tour is announced. :lol: You're disqualified if you initiate body contact during the race.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Just like there is a line to get GA tickets early, there will be a line to get the early entry stamp.

Foot race from the parking lot. So fair, not line up order. :thumbup: If you're a big enough fan, you will start training even before the tour is announced. :D

We PJ fans are too old for foot races ;)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Foot race from the parking lot. So fair, not line up order. :thumbup: If you're a big enough fan, you will start training even before the tour is announced. :D

We PJ fans are too old for foot races ;)
    :lol: Hey, speak for yourself buddy! :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    CanNotStay wrote:
    What it comes down to in my opinion is that everyone is obviously not ok with this system. So its wrong for a few fans, whether or not they've been to 50+ shows or have the lowest 10c #, to feel entitled to instate a system on everyone who is going.
    No, I agree that some people shouldn't just decide on something like this. That's bullshit. I'm just saying that it seems like a fair but much better system where no one has to suffer in line for hours upon hours could be created. I mean, obviously those other fans think that having to sit there like that sucks just as much as others think it sucks for someone to start some random list and decide it's okay. I just think that a lineless line makes so much more sense.

And again they already have this. It's called reserved seating.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    CanNotStay wrote:
    What it comes down to in my opinion is that everyone is obviously not ok with this system. So its wrong for a few fans, whether or not they've been to 50+ shows or have the lowest 10c #, to feel entitled to instate a system on everyone who is going.
    No, I agree that some people shouldn't just decide on something like this. That's bullshit. I'm just saying that it seems like a fair but much better system where no one has to suffer in line for hours upon hours could be created. I mean, obviously those other fans think that having to sit there like that sucks just as much as others think it sucks for someone to start some random list and decide it's okay. I just think that a lineless line makes so much more sense.

And again they already have this. It's called reserved seating.
    You know that makes no sense, right. :? It's not reserved seating when there are no seats. And since when did people have to have an entry order for reserved seating?? :fp:
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Seating Pros:
    Guaranteed seat.
    Can have dinner/drinks before the show.
    Can come and go as you please... get a beer... check out the merch... take a leak.
    You can see over the person in front of you (in most cases).
    You can skip the opening act (ref. Steve Earle).

Seatings Cons:
    Your seat is probably several rows back... possibly several sections back.
    Scalpers.
    People who buy from scalpers... then, complain about scalpers.

GenAdm Pros:
    Possible getting a great spot on the floor.
    You meet nice people.
    Limited risk of little kids pimped out as Eddie Vedder bait by their parent (unless by a bad, bad parent).

GenAdm Cons:
    Have to sit on the sidewalk for hours.
    Line list Nazis.
    You cannot leave the line or you lose your spot Nazis.
    You have to cut water intake so you won't have to pee later.
    Once you are in... you are in. You can't leave your spot on the floor to take a leak.
    You basically cannot move from that spot or lose it.
    If you are short... you are in trouble.
    If you have physical restrictions... you are in trouble.
    Douchebags that muscle their way to the front.
    Short people that will walk up behind you then complain that you are too tall.
    You have to sit through the opening act (ref. steve Earle).
    People smell funny.
    You smell funky.
    It's so fucking HOT in here.
    You may have to use the skills you've honed in the low post.
    Risk of some fucking guy taking a leak on the floor because he won't leave his spot to take a leak.
    You miss out of the posters (or you end up with a rippled poster).
    People don't figure out that everyone can't a spot in the front.
    Bottom line... i'll take general Admission.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,956
    Question: What's this "line list" everyone is speaking of? Is this only happening @ the Euro show's? And who's creating this list? 10club Co?
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    Question: What's this "line list" everyone is speaking of? Is this only happening @ the Euro show's? And who's creating this list? 10club Co?
    Same way a Pyramid Scheme works... it benefits the one to starts the list because they put their name on line No. 1.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    You know that makes no sense, right. :? It's not reserved seating when there are no seats. And since when did people have to have an entry order for reserved seating?? :fp:

Makes perfect sense. You want a reserved place in line right? It can't be both ways. Ga is GA. Not Ga with benefits.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Makes perfect sense. You want a reserved place in line right? It can't be both ways. Ga is GA. Not Ga with benefits.
    I don't personally want anything. I'm as likely to show up in the middle of the night to get on a list as I am to wait in line for hours. 0% likely. I just love GA and am trying to think of a way for the liner-uppers to not have to torture themselves and complain about lists... anything to try and make GA easier and therefore more likely! ;)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I don't personally want anything. I'm as likely to show up in the middle of the night to get on a list as I am to wait in line for hours. 0% likely. I just love GA and am trying to think of a way for the liner-uppers to not have to torture themselves and complain about lists... anything to try and make GA easier and therefore more likely! ;)
    Actually, things tend to level out. If you people figured out how General Admission works, there is no problem.
    The thing I really don't like about the lists... the Nazis that try to enforce them. I mean, in MOST cases, the people in the front know who was there first. If we were more like the British... who are polite in their queueing practices... we wouldn't even be discussing this. It's the 'All about ME' attitude over here that screws things up.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

That's the thing. GA is not supposed to be easy. It's GA?! Reserved seats are clean and easy. GA is not. It's a free for all. First there wins. That's it. No lists...no holding spots. You get there...you stay there. That's it.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    That's the thing. GA is not supposed to be easy. It's GA?! Reserved seats are clean and easy. GA is not. It's a free for all. First there wins. That's it. No lists...no holding spots. You get there...you stay there. That's it.
    Question: How do you go from 3:00 P.M. to close to mid-night without drinking water and/or pissing?
    Answer: You're a camel, aren't you?
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    Same way a Pyramid Scheme works... it benefits the one to starts the list because they put their name on line No. 1.

Ok, but who is in charge of "the list"? Is this headmaster stamping everyone's hand in line or giving them a wristband with their # from 1 and onward? If so, why wait in a line for hours & hours if this "list" is created? Something doesn't seem right here.
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    Ok, but who is in charge of "the list"? Is this headmaster stamping everyone's hand in line or giving them a wristband with their # from 1 and onward? If so, why wait in a line for hours & hours if this "list" is created? Something doesn't seem right here.
    Different people. The one that comes to mind is the woman that must have been the offsping of Eva Braun or something. She went as far as taking people's pictures and shit. She ended up with a lot of pictures of people flipping her off.
    And the list is typically written on the inside of an old, ripped up Coca-Cola box... like the ones usually reserved for the 'Will Work For Food' signs to see on the streets. You're supposed to put your name one it when you check in... then, you are supposed to remain in formation until you are called upon.
    In most of the cases I've been in. People are pretty good. Sure, there are some cuts in line and shit... but, those things even out in the greater scheme of things.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    Thanks OP, I enjoyed reading that!

Perhaps this has been said, but the 'expensive front seats sold by scaplers' could be almost completely eliminated if say 100% of the first 20, 30, 40, whatever rows were Tenclub ONLY, with tickets at Will Call. I say almost because there is the outside chance that a Tenclub member would show up, get their tickets, and turn around and sell them.
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    I liked what U2 did on their last arena tour of the US.

First they sold the GA tickets to their fan club members first. It was the cheapest ticket in the building (like $40 vs. $150).

Then their stage went into the middle of the audience which created two sections on the floor (inside the stage and outside the stage).

People with floor seats were randomly picked when they scanned their tickets to be inside the stage. I was one of the lucky ones that got to be inside the stage. There was plenty of room for you to really enjoy yourself and since everyone there were fan club members, everyone was into the show.

What I hate is VIP tix. Those blow chunks.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I just want to point out that you don't have to be on the "list" to have a great spot. We never did, we enjoyed the city, had food, drank and peed a lot during the day, and never had any problems. We never were at the rail, but pretty close and had a blast.

You also don't have to be afraid that your poster gets ruined, you can give it to the people at the dressing room for little money and then just go inside and enjoy the show.

I do see pros for seating, but GA isn't as bad as it is painted by some people here. It's a fucking rock show, you go there to enjoy yourselves.
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    demetrios wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

The way I've witnessed it, when you turn up, you go get the list, sign your name & get your number, and then you basically sit around somewhere, with the odd break to go to the bathroom or get food, until maybe 30 minutes before entry, when the actual line is created by everyone standing up. The number's just on your hand, you go pick up your tickets & wristbands at about 2 or 3 pm.
    When it gets close to going in, you have the PJ security guy coming out and basically saying how it's going to work, that nobody should run or jump over each other. Usually, there was staggered entry (first 50 people, then 5 minute stop, then the next group), and we walked in in rows of 4 so nobody cut through at the sides, it really was a pretty civilized matter for the most part.
  • Options
    I wonder if Neil Young has seen how much he's selling single tickets to his show's. Here's the Toronto ACC show prices ..

Reserved Lower Level Seating
    CA $108.25 - CA $273.25
    CA $108.25 (CA $90.75 Ticket + CA $17.50 Fees) CA $273.25 (CA $255.75 Ticket + CA $17.50 Fees)

Reserved Upper Level Seating
    CA $68.25 - CA $108.25
    CA $68.25 (CA $50.75 Ticket + CA $17.50 Fees) CA $108.25 (CA $90.75 Ticket + CA $17.50 Fees)

General Admission Floor
    CA $90.50
    CA $90.50 (CA $73.00 Ticket + CA $17.50 Fees)

$273.25 for a single ticket in the lower bowl? Really Neil? :|