Options

Final word on GA vs Seating - Mr Neil Young

HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
edited October 2012 in The Porch
I don't tend to start topics, and when I respond to anything, invariably it's about enjoying my company with friends, or how GA shits all over reserved seating, which as far as I'm concerned, PJ-wise, is just a whole bunch of mates hanging out, having a great time.

I have no permission to do so, and if Kat or Sea think it's not cool, go ahead and remove this, or move this to other bands, but I'm just going to lift a paragraph from Neil Young's new autobiography, Waging Heavy Peace. It's a brilliant read, this book. All over the place, it is. If you want a more easily digested account in chronological order, read Jimmy McDonagh's book. This, is just truth, according to Uncle Neil. From chapter 18.

I have heard it said about me that I have a rep for being difficult to work with. My decisions are made with the music in mind. For instance, I like to play to an audience that is into it. I dislike people sitting in the front rows talking on cell phones. Of course, these people are sitting in the most expensive seats, the ones they get through ticket scalpers and other services that somehow corner the market on the seats. Capitalism collides with music in this area. It was not like that when I started. The people in the front were music freaks, the real music fans, who knew every song, every lyric, every piece of information about the band that they could find. They were stoked to be there in front of the stage, and they were ready to rock. So these cell phones and rich folks who can afford the big bucks for prime seating distract me from what I am doing and make me feel like I am on display in a museum. It is not good for the music, which a lot of times feeds on the energy of the crowd. There is a thing called "festival seating" where the area in front of the stage is without chairs. People can stand there. Only a certain amount of people can get into that area, and it is not more expensive. It is general admittance. First come, first served, as far as proximity to the stage goes. Medium ago, I decided to sell festival-seating tickets at all my indoor shows so people who really wanted to see the band could get up close and watch, moving freely. There is a financial hit involved with that, because those are generally the expensive seats and they are all gone with this type of presentation. I had to really be firm about it. When we got festival seating, the feeling at all of the shows was much better. The band and I really enjoyed that change. Things like that enable me to continue and enjoy playing with a band. Recently I was planning a tour and it was just being announced. Venues were already booked. At the last minute I checked to make sure it was still festival seating. It wasn't. Feeling that I had already established that as the way I liked to play indoor shows, I insisted on it again. All the deals had to be redone at the last minute. It was a very complicated thing to do. I, having already been through this once, was amazed that no one had remembered the way I liked festival seating. If that gives me a rep for being difficult to work with, I earned it.

Truth. Make it happen, PJ, all other bands, musicians. No more of this seated front-of-stage claptrap.
115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,216
    ...this is Rock N Roll.......
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    this is a divisive issue and I am firmly on the other side. Seated shows, please! :D

(all due respect to Mr. Young)
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I see both sides of the argument. Both seated and GA have their disadvantages. Personally I don't mind either way and I'll take whatever the band I'm seeing chooses. I have a good concert buddy who absolutely despises seated shows and actually fell asleep in his seat at a Chili Peppers show earlier this year, and another who can't stand GA. No matter what, the ultimate experience lies in the music and not in the seating (or lack thereof).
  • Options
    I like seats as long as people aren't sitting during Pearl Jam shows. I like having room to move and being able to show up when I want and know my spot is there. I also like to be able to buy merch at my convenience and go to the bathroom if I need to. My spot is always there, so I like it.

I hate getting in line early for PJ only to end up dealing with that group of PJ people who seem to think it is cool to get in line, then create a list of people and their location in line, then leave all fucking day, only to end up coming back hours later and expecting to get in line where they were earlier. That is so stupid. Assigned seats make it to where I don't have to deal with this annoying group of people. If you are one of these people who thinks that is okay, fuck you.

Sorry about that rant. I have dealt with that 3 times and it still annoys me. I like seats. I can still jump and enjoy the show with my spot that a seat gives me for the whole show.
  • Options
    I see both sides of the argument. Both seated and GA have their disadvantages. Personally I don't mind either way and I'll take whatever the band I'm seeing chooses. I have a good concert buddy who absolutely despises seated shows and actually fell asleep in his seat at a Chili Peppers show earlier this year, and another who can't stand GA. No matter what, the ultimate experience lies in the music and not in the seating (or lack thereof).

I don't actually want to sit down at a show, and I can't imagine falling asleep, hahaha. I just hate being all smashed up in a sweaty group of people for hours. personal space, yo. Gimme my seat.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,218
    I like General Admission. I will put in the investment of arriving early and sitting on the sidewalk all day and reserving my spot on the railing.
    What I DON'T like about General Admission is the belief in some folks that General Admission means Free For All or the Survival of The Fittest and if they can muscle or snake their way to the front... it is their right.
    I can stand my ground (those days of youth in the low post helped me). But, I've seen it much too often.
    The other thing... I'm 6'1". I'm not going to use my powers of invisibility or shrink to 5' 2" so you can see over me. If you walk up and are oblivious to the fact that the back of my shirt is in direct line between your 5' 3" frame and the stage... that's on you... not me. Seek out the spot behind the 5' 2" gal over there on the right.
    That being said... Pearl Jam does what they can to fill the front with their fans. Yeah, the front may mean fans that are older and/or have been in the fan club for a while... but, thet does not make them of lesser value than you. All it means is they got there before you did. Sorry, but part of life is learning that things don't always turn out the way you'd like it to.
    Anyway... i've got to bail... going to see the Wallflowers at a General Admission gig. See y'all there.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    I don't actually want to sit down at a show, and I can't imagine falling asleep, hahaha. I just hate being all smashed up in a sweaty group of people for hours. personal space, yo. Gimme my seat.
    Oh, I wasn't trying to say that people would be seated at seated venues, rather I just wanted to work in my friend's stupidity into my post (he always rags on me for getting kicked out of another Chili Peppers show). In fact, I don't condone sitting unless it's an acoustic show, or it's something that the band requests. I can't even express how pissed off I became when someone behind me asked that I sit during a Metallica show.
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Being 5'2" tall, my vote is for reserved seating - better visibility and a bit more room to breathe. Being a shorty in a tall crowd is not fun.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,990
    Oh, I wasn't trying to say that people would be seated at seated venues, rather I just wanted to work in my friend's stupidity into my post (he always rags on me for getting kicked out of another Chili Peppers show). In fact, I don't condone sitting unless it's an acoustic show, or it's something that the band requests. I can't even express how pissed off I became when someone behind me asked that I sit during a Metallica show.

sit at a metallica show....lol
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    We never have seated rock shows here in NZ so I can't imagine what it's like to have a fucken seat, or rows of seats, between me & the band. I think it would drive me barmy not being able to push through the seats to get closer. The sitting around on the pavement, getting your spot in the line, hanging out with other fans all day + being squished up against people in the pit is absolutely part of the fun. I agree with Neil.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    Nami wrote:
    sit at a metallica show....lol
    Yeah, right? Initially after the request I took a seat, then like a second later I thought, "What the fuck am I doing?" And stood right the hell back up.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654
    GA on the floor all the way! NY is right - it makes the music better ALWAYS because it necessarily brings more energy to the show. If the concert is worth being at in the first place (or worth being as close to the stage as I can get, anyway), the music comes on and I couldn't care less if I'm crowded by people and sweating my ass off. I'm too into it by then to care! If I care about that, then the show isn't blowing my mind enough to feel the need to be so close, so I have no problem moving to the back where there is always space to be had.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I hate getting in line early for PJ only to end up dealing with that group of PJ people who seem to think it is cool to get in line, then create a list of people and their location in line, then leave all fucking day, only to end up coming back hours later and expecting to get in line where they were earlier.

This is NOT OK!! I can't believe people think they can instate this rule on everyone who bought a ticket. The longer you wait the better spot you should have. Period.
    6/03/06 Continental Airlines II East Rutherford, NJ
    6/25/08 MSG II New York, NY
    9/02/2012 Made in America Philly, PA
    10/21/13 Wells Fargo Center I GA Philly, PA
    10/22/13 Wells Fargo Center II GA Philly, PA
  • Options
    kellanazziekellanazzie Posts: 1,484
    Just went to see Neil last week. The concert was looming & I didn't have tickets, I was bumbed. And then, in the way of life's little blessings, my niece messaged me to tell me she picked up two free tickets at work!! She was already going with her husband & asked me if I wanted them?? ARE YA FAREEKING KIDDING ME??
    So, here I am, two free tickets, GA tickets ;) , husband working & no one wants to go!! I spent two days asking my friends, losers!!! :P Just before leaving for the concert in the city 45 minutes away I checked Facebook & an old friend posted, "Pick ME!!" I messaged her, totally prepared to go by myself, all 5'3" of me. I had plans baby!! I was going to weave & sneak my way to the front. HA!! My friend got my message & made it with minutes to spare!! I haven't seen this friend in about 28 years.
    In we went, half hour before showtime & found ourselves fifth row front & just off centre. After dozens of concerts through the years, this was the first time I was ever on the floor. We stood our ground, moved up when we could & rocked with Neil Young. They were on fire & loving every minute. What a night!!
    Kind of a long story, sorry. But, I have to say, if that's the way he likes it & it works for him & keeps him playing that is incredible. He's 65 years old & played for over 2 hours straight. The whole show was 3 1/2 hrs. Amazing man, incredible talent!!
    I do like a seat however as I hurt for two days. :lol: But I wouldn't trade that night for anything, what a blast!
    And now, I must read this book!
  • Options
    CanNotStay wrote:
    I hate getting in line early for PJ only to end up dealing with that group of PJ people who seem to think it is cool to get in line, then create a list of people and their location in line, then leave all fucking day, only to end up coming back hours later and expecting to get in line where they were earlier.

This is NOT OK!! I can't believe people think they can instate this rule on everyone who bought a ticket. The longer you wait the better spot you should have. Period.
    But if that is what's going on, wouldn't you benefit from it too?? If everyone just goes by that system, what's the prob? (I have never showed up more than half an hour before doors to anything btw - no point; I won't dehydrate and try not to pee my pants for any band). I just don't get why everyone wouldn't be agreeable to a queue on paper so no one has to suffer?? This procedure should be the norm.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,023
    I don't agree what Neil just said. Does Neil Young even offer "fanclub" reserved seats? I don't think so. Yes his site offer's presale tickets but anybody who is anybody can buy tickets from his site. There is no seniority. This is different to Pearl Jam's 10club ticketing system were row's 1, 2, 9 & 10 are "lottery seats." Big fan or not a big fan of the band get a chance to score those sweet seats. They are not expensive, rich class tickets for a Pearl Jam show, unlike what Neil Young offers. It's fair all around. And pretty much reserved numerical in order from 10club member #1 - it's ending number. You can't just go on to Ticketmaster & buy these, unlike Neil Young for his past few tours he has sections of his lower bowl & floor seats that are very expensive which pretty much "he" offers. There is no seniority. Plus anybody can score those front row seats months before the show & flip them to the rich who will buy those tickets and sit up front. If Neil doesn't like that, then he needs to change his ticket system. Last few show's here in the USA/CDN he charged $250 for sections of the lower bowl that were closer to the stage. Can't remember how much he offered for floor seats but it wasn't fanclub ticketing.

I for one support reserved seating for Pearl Jam's USA/CDN indoor show's. And what 10club has been doing is a fantastic job distributing tickets to our show's. I believe Neil Young needs to talk to 10club management; if he's having a hard time with his "indoor" experiences.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,023
    CanNotStay wrote:

This happens? Are you kidding me?!? :shock:
    Yeah, GA all the way! :roll:
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    demetrios wrote:
    CanNotStay wrote:

This happens? Are you kidding me?!? :shock:
    Yeah, GA all the way! :roll:
    This happened several times in Europe. PrincessBulldozer saved the day!!
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    the title of the song says it all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f7jflvpadY
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    I don't agree what Neil just said. Does Neil Young even offer "fanclub" reserved seats? I don't think so. Yes his site offer's presale tickets but anybody who is anybody can buy tickets from his site. There is no seniority. This is different to Pearl Jam's 10club ticketing system were row's 1, 2, 9 & 10 are "lottery seats." Big fan or not a big fan of the band get a chance to score those sweet seats. They are not expensive, rich class tickets for a Pearl Jam show, unlike what Neil Young offers. It's fair all around. And pretty much reserved numerical in order from 10club member #1 - it's ending number. You can't just go on to Ticketmaster & buy these, unlike Neil Young for his past few tours he has sections of his lower bowl & floor seats that are very expensive which pretty much "he" offers. There is no seniority. Plus anybody can score those front row seats months before the show & flip them to the rich who will buy those tickets and sit up front. If Neil doesn't like that, then he needs to change his ticket system. Last few show's here in the USA/CDN he charged $250 for sections of the lower bowl that were closer to the stage. Can't remember how much he offered for floor seats but it wasn't fanclub ticketing.

I for one support reserved seating for Pearl Jam's USA/CDN indoor show's. And what 10club has been doing is a fantastic job distributing tickets to our show's. I believe Neil Young needs to talk to 10club management; if he's having a hard time with his "indoor" experiences.
    I think just about anyone with a good member # supports reserved seating. I'm just as huge a fan as anyone, but will never get out of the rafters with reserved seating, which doesn't feel very fair to me. ;) With GA, the biggest, most devoted fans (many of whom might have the higher numbers) can get a good spot for the show if they put in the time and energy above and beyond just paying a membership fee. PLUS the energy in the venue, and therefore in the music, is higher.
  • Options
    Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952
    I hate getting in line early for PJ only to end up dealing with that group of PJ people who seem to think it is cool to get in line, then create a list of people and their location in line, then leave all fucking day, only to end up coming back hours later and expecting to get in line where they were earlier. That is so stupid. Assigned seats make it to where I don't have to deal with this annoying group of people. If you are one of these people who thinks that is okay, fuck you.

I have had my fair share of experience in lines, including PJ lines. (Ask Dimi, Kathi, Suzie May etc they will vouch for me on that one.)

I have only had to deal with 1 in 100 people who think that what you describe is appropriate behaviour.
    People who would put their name on the list to only leave for hours on end, are the same people who would push to the front after they get to the venue late and sit drinking at the bar until 5 mins before the band comes on. Those people are not courteous or respectful people. Those people will spoil your night if you let them regardless.

I like the numbers, as sometime I like to find a quiet shady spot to sit and relax and my number is my "seat" in the line. I have seen lines work really well, as they are started with every single person in mind, from 1 to 400 who line up. I have seen lines work less well, usually as a mentality of all-for-himself(herself) arises at some point in the day. Though, even on those bad line moments, they invariably are calmed by logical and calm discussion and peace is restored. Remind people of common decency and they usually calm down.

Disclaimer: Joey, I am not attacking you personally. I am just using your quote as a springboard for my opinion.
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952
    morello wrote:
    CanNotStay wrote:

This happened several times in Europe. PrincessBulldozer saved the day!!

As I wrote above, it is having the thought that "everyone" matters and reminding everyone of that notion.
    In the line, people get tired and hot or cold and hungry and uncomfortable and peoples nerves are tested. People get anxious. It helps to have clear communication throughout the whole line, for the whole day, people sharing food, having laughs, talking, making new friends, caring for each and every person.
    Sometimes people need to be reminded. That is simple to do.
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    Had GA for a PJ show for the first time in Missoula....it was awesome!! I'll admit, the name/list thing can get out of hand when people abuse it, but I can firmly say that between my buddy and I, we left the line alternately for about an hour total. Went to shower, grab McD's and back into line. That was more than half the fun of it was sticking it out with the crazies!! Trading stories, talking setlists, all that stuff for 13+ hours in line. Trusting and using the system and not abusing it. Meet some people, build some trust/companionship that allows you to take a piss break every few hours. Big deal.

I'm not saying every show has to be GA...but toss it in a few times fellas! GA is exciting, energetic and allows us a true sense of appreciation for our own fan-base. I may not have $500+ for a single ticket, but I have the day off...maybe that's just me. Pros and cons to both, but don't just deny us all the time. Loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat!!!
    1998: Alpine 2000: Auburn Hills, Alpine (Ice Bowl) 2003: Cleveland, Alpine
    2007: Lolla 2009: Chicago (1&2) 2011: PJ20 Alpine (1&2) 2012: Missoula
    2013: Wrigley, Dallas, OKC, Seattle
    2014: Cincinnati, Tulsa, Lincoln, Detroit, Moline, St. Paul, Milwaukee, Denver
  • Options
    chaslilchaslil Westminster CO Posts: 306
    Interesting arguments on this thread. At Red Rocks, traditionally the first 24 rows are GA, then there are about 25 reserved, then GA to the top. I love this, If you want to be in the front, then get in line early! It works well, a great Red Rocks tradition. Alternatively, jam bands usually let the whole place be GA. Unfortunately, Neil Young always has 100% reserved at Red Rocks. The tickets up front last summer were extremely expensive. I wish he would extend his policy to Red Rocks. Why restrict it to indoor shows?

Charles
    Charles
    "The Who is my life. Pearl Jam is my retirement"
  • Options
    Had GA for a PJ show for the first time in Missoula....it was awesome!! I'll admit, the name/list thing can get out of hand when people abuse it, but I can firmly say that between my buddy and I, we left the line alternately for about an hour total. Went to shower, grab McD's and back into line. That was more than half the fun of it was sticking it out with the crazies!! Trading stories, talking setlists, all that stuff for 13+ hours in line. Trusting and using the system and not abusing it. Meet some people, build some trust/companionship that allows you to take a piss break every few hours. Big deal.

I'm not saying every show has to be GA...but toss it in a few times fellas! GA is exciting, energetic and allows us a true sense of appreciation for our own fan-base. I may not have $500+ for a single ticket, but I have the day off...maybe that's just me. Pros and cons to both, but don't just deny us all the time. Loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat!!!
    This is fuckin ROCK N ROLL.....You understand 100 % what GA means,isnt a seat ONLY the difference...
    beers on me if we are at the same show next time...
  • Options

I have had my fair share of experience in lines, including PJ lines. (Ask Dimi, Kathi, Suzie May etc they will vouch for me on that one.)

I have only had to deal with 1 in 100 people who think that what you describe is appropriate behaviour.
    People who would put their name on the list to only leave for hours on end, are the same people who would push to the front after they get to the venue late and sit drinking at the bar until 5 mins before the band comes on. Those people are not courteous or respectful people. Those people will spoil your night if you let them regardless.

I like the numbers, as sometime I like to find a quiet shady spot to sit and relax and my number is my "seat" in the line. I have seen lines work really well, as they are started with every single person in mind, from 1 to 400 who line up. I have seen lines work less well, usually as a mentality of all-for-himself(herself) arises at some point in the day. Though, even on those bad line moments, they invariably are calmed by logical and calm discussion and peace is restored. Remind people of common decency and they usually calm down.

Disclaimer: Joey, I am not attacking you personally. I am just using your quote as a springboard for my opinion.
    Jodie..you know im not line up..i come early to the venue,but i chat with friends,get some drink,go back to hotel,town,a bar,back in the venue,but dont get in early..i just care to be inside before the public tix,cos isntr easy to find friends after that...
    my experience says that most of the times list works well cos especially in Europe we are the same fuckers at every show and we all know each others very well..but always there are assholes to rule things..but they are ALWAYS less than the good people that respect eachother...

p.s...im in good mood and ill not say anything for those frikkin Italians.. :wave: :lol:
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,149
    edited October 2012
    Been to 9 GA shows and 1 "seated" (Verona 2006).

I enjoyed the system of Verona the most - even though no one sat ofc and I were at a "worse" place.

And GA and the "front" doesn't equal great fans.
    At Stockholm in the first row ( I was in the second or something) was a group of girls who talked up untill the show about alllllll the million of pearl jam shows they been to and how big fans they were. But as soon as the show started they just stood there taking pictures of Eddie or browsing through their pictures of Eddie and talking to eachother about the pictures of Eddie. And they just stood there with their backpacks on (rude GA behavoir to have backpacks on IMO) and eyes fixed on their cameras.

Only time they "cared" about the show was when PJ played something "rare" like All those yesterdays. Or when Eddie came over to our side - then they acted like they care to give the impression to him that they did.

And the funny thing was - just before the show started and their cameras was used nonstop - THEY TALKED ABOUT HOW SOME PEOPLE DON'T GET INTO THE SHOWS AND JUST TAKE PICS! What the fuck.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    edited October 2012

Jodie..you know im not line up..i come early to the venue,but i chat with friends,get some drink,go back to hotel,town,a bar,back in the venue,but dont get in early..i just care to be inside before the public tix,cos isntr easy to find friends after that...
    my experience says that most of the times list works well cos especially in Europe we are the same fuckers at every show and we all know each others very well..but always there are assholes to rule things..but they are ALWAYS less than the good people that respect eachother...

p.s...im in good mood and ill not say anything for those frikkin Italians.. :wave: :lol:

:lol: Italians shouldn't run anything. Especially not queues. But besides the bad experience of Berlin 2 (or the Italian fuckup :mrgreen: ), the system worked for all the Euro shows I attended.

I actually really like queueing, hanging out with fellow fans, sharing stories, spending the day together...lots of bonding over music really. However, even if you don't want to line up for ages, 10C early entry wristbands make for everyone to have a pretty good spot still (sometimes even rail at the sides, otherwise 3rd, 4th, 5th row). You are free to choose whatever suits you best, and what is more important, you can freely choose your company.

Europe doesn't have seating for rock shows (except the normal seats in the arenas of course), and I'm glad it's that way. Especially with how 10c entrance was run, you had no-one jumping over you or trying to knock you out of their way, it was all calm and civilized, and most people looked out for each other in the pit as well.
    I've seen Smashing Pumpkins and the Chili Peppers seated, both times because all floor tickets were gone, and I really disliked it. I understand that there may be shows that require seating (like Ed's solo gigs, or the tour Conor Oberst is doing next year), but for your general loud full band rock show, I really wouldn't want to be seated.

And I really need to read that Neil Young book...maybe when I'm going to Florida, I don't see any free time coming before that. :lol:

edited to add: Oh, and annoying talking girls with BACKPACKS at shows? that sounds like Italians as well ;) especially the backpack part. I have not seen anyone else doing that, ever. It might have been the two that were next to me for Berlin 1, they had backpacks as well, and basically spent the whole show taking pics and trying not to faint cause "he's sooooo hot" :lol:
    Post edited by Kathi on
  • Options
    TigaSefiTigaSefi Posts: 278
    I can see the arguments for both seating and standing and I am 100% standing all the way. The jerks is just a by product. If you want good shows, I believe the group would prefer screaming fans at the front jumping in unison and so on rather than just standing in front of your seat clapping away. Standing so close to Mike in Stockholm was electric! It just would not happen if I sat down near the front!

EDIT: Backpack should be banned 100% too.... fucking annoying.
    London 02 18/09/2009 London Hyde Park 25/06/2010 Arras 03/07/2010 Werchter 04/07/2010 Manchester 21/06/2012 Amsterdam 26/06/2012 Stockholm 07/07/2012 Portland 29/11/2013 Spokane 30/11/2013 Amsterdam 16/06/14 Leeds 08/07/14 London 02 Arena 18/06/2018 London 02 Arena 17/07/2018 London Hyde Park 08/07/2022 London Hyde Park 09/07/2022
  • Options
    LostRebelLostRebel Athens, Greece Posts: 252
    At Stockholm in the first row ( I was in the second or something) was a group of girls who talked up untill the show about alllllll the million of pearl jam shows they been to and how big fans they were. But as soon as the show started they just stood there taking pictures of Eddie or browsing through their pictures of Eddie and talking to eachother about the pictures of Eddie. And they just stood there with their backpacks on (rude GA behavoir to have backpacks on IMO) and eyes fixed on their cameras.

Only time they "cared" about the show was when PJ played something "rare" like All those yesterdays. Or when Eddie came over to our side - then they acted like they care to give the impression to him that they did.

And the funny thing was - just before the show started and their cameras was used nonstop - THEY TALKED ABOUT HOW SOME PEOPLE DON'T GET INTO THE SHOWS AND JUST TAKE PICS! What the fuck.

+1
    Still remember those girls... and I know they read this cause they visit the forum really often...
    Hope they'll do us a "favour" and go seated next time.