Options

Pearl Jam's best "Opener"

13»

Comments

• Options
    pjrvmpjrvm Posts: 99
    merlin401 wrote:
    Which would say is the best PJ opener. Looking back over their tours, there's really 7 that have been standards (ignoring things that opened for one tour and never again). They are...

1) Release
    2) Wash
    3) Oceans
    4) Long Road
    5) Sometimes
    6) Of the Girl
    7) fast song fad of the year (Severed Hand this year, Save you last year, Go, etc)

Slow Openers are the best. But it's gotta be one that builds like Release. Never heard Sometimes or Of The Girl, but I can't imagine them being that good.
    As for Severed Hand is it any better live than on the album? I find it a bit boring on the album.
  • Options
    pjrvmpjrvm Posts: 99
    Does anyone else think that Inside Job sounds like it was written as a perfect opener?
  • Options
    edDvedDedDvedD Posts: 36
    - Long Road
    - Release
    - Love Boat Captain
    - Sometimes
    - Oceans

i agree with many of them said that Inside Job have a good music arrangement to be a good opener.....
    .....and he still gets his love he just gives it away,
    the love he receives is the love that is saved,
    and sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky.
    a human being that was GIVEN TO FLY.....
  • Options
    gray_8gray_8 Posts: 6
    Hard to Imagine was pretty sweet in Halifax. Release is a classic, and Inside Job would be a very cool opening song, especially if it went tinto something fast
  • Options
    worldworld Posts: 266
    Release Release Release

and occasionally Long Road
    Chicago '98, Noblesville '00, East Troy '00, Chicago '00, Champaign '03, Chicago '03, Chicago1 '06, Chicago2 '06, Milwaukee '06, Chicago1 '09, and Chicago2 '09
  • Options
    drlovemonkeydrlovemonkey Posts: 394
    I too thought that "Release" would forever be my favorite opener. That changed this year with the introduction of the "Wasted Reprise - Life Wasted" opener. Amazing combination, as "Reprise" brings the entire crowd together in an emotional sing-a-long, then "Life Wasted" begs you to blow the roof off the place. Good stuff.

I couldn't say it any better - I agree 100%.
  • Options
    TruthmongerTruthmonger Posts: 559
    Hard to Imagine absolutely killed in Halifax. Can't believe only 1 person has recognized that here.
  • Options
    I've always wanted to see Release open...so far, I'm 0 for 4, but I'll be having a few more chances in a couple weeks!
    Do not enjoy moderation in excess...
  • Options
    vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 473
    cilcia wrote:
    My first show in 94 opened with Rearviewmirror...kind of set the tone for my obsession.

No denying Mansfield #3 in 2003 where we actually had 2 openers (Long Road and Can't Keep)...still don't know how they pulled that off - I was exhausted!!!

Favorites are Release and Oceans (when Eddie doesn't screw up the lyrics for the first song!!!)

I think I was at that show in '94....Springfield ???

Personally, I am 0 for 14 in getting Release, so my favorite is Long Road

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    mechanixmechanix Posts: 28
    I will always dig "Release" but I really really liked "I Believe In Miracles" last year.
  • Options
    humanlitehumanlite Posts: 36
    best opener ever..............PRESENT TENSE at borgata night 2. BEST version out thtere
  • Options
    humanlitehumanlite Posts: 36
    I would love for them to open with INSIDE JOB, hearing that live in jersey left me speechless
  • Options
    ellroyellroy Posts: 39
    i think that go is the ultimate start off for a pearl jam concert.
    so my vote goes to GO
    its evolution baby!!!
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,867
    drew0 wrote:
    1. Release
    2. Long Road
    3. Wash
    4. Oceans
    5. Of The Girl
    6. Sometimes
    7. Go
    8. Severed Hand

Praying for Release in Pittsburgh!!!

i hear that, never seen it live and i want too sooooooo bad!
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    Dan1984Dan1984 Posts: 444
    I love the fast openers. The anticipation and excitement of the show should be followed by something that rips. In Vegas 2003, my second show, they opened with Go. Nice!
    06/05/2003 - San Diego
    06/06/2003 - Las Vegas
    06/07/2003 - Phoenix