Options

Pearl Jam's best "Opener"

Comments

• Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I would have to say Long Road, I dream of the day I am at a Pearl Jam show and they open with that. I've had my fill of Release. I think Of The Girl is pretty sweet opener too
  • Options
    FedericoFederico Posts: 7,916
    the only two shows i´ve ever been had weird openers: breakerfall (it had some openings in 2000, am i right?) and MFC (that was really surprising)...breakerfall was cool to open, but mfc was definitely the only negative aspect of that show...it doesnt start as slow as a slow opener and it doesnt start as fast as an uplifiting fast opener...Now i would be really glad to see a slow opening in my next time...anyone would be great...

the new songs?...the wasted reprise opening rules....it gives the show a sense of some religious ceremony or something like that
  • Options
    QuadrupleDekeQuadrupleDeke Boston Posts: 168
    Release

never heard Wash live though... I could see it being a damn good opener.
    7/1/03 ... 9/28/04 ... 5/30/06 ... 6/3/06 ... 6/30/08 ... 8/2/08 (ev solo) ... 10/30/09 ... 10/31/09 ... 5/17/10 ... 5/21/10 ... 3/27/11 (tres mts) ... 6/16/11 (ev solo) ... 10/19/13 ... 8/5/16 ... 8/7/16 ... 9/2/18 ... 9/4/18
  • Options
    OTOTOOTOTO New York, NY Posts: 190
    How have I seen Wash open 3 times yet never seen Release? That just doesn't make sense at all. Wash opener is awesome though.
    "You Can't be Neutral on a Moving Train"
  • Options
    ManOnFireManOnFire Posts: 15
    Can't Keep!
  • Options
    It comes down to Wash, Release, and Long Road for me. It really is impossible for me to decide from there. I will never be disappointed if they open a show with either of those three, no matter how many times I hear it. Long Road and Release really take me on a journey, starting slow and building up, and I love that. It really gets my concert going on an excellent note. But Wash is such a beautiful song and also gets me pumped at the start of any show. It's impossible for me to choose only one, if I did, it would change an hour later.
  • Options
    ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    I've always loved Long Road and Release as openers, but im DESPERATE to hear Of The Girl at some point this year. I'm hoping for it at one of the Euro shows i go to. I might have to make a sign!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    go2theshowgo2theshow Posts: 82
    1. Can't Keep 2. Love Boat Captain
  • Options
    lukin1982lukin1982 Posts: 5
    Release
    Oceans
    Of The Girl
    war... break the sky and tell me what it's for
  • Options
    I love when they open with Sometimes or Can't Keep, but in my mind Oceans is the ultimate opener for me.

I agree with some one who said it earlier though, Release would make an aswome closer i think.
  • Options
    I've gotten Sometimes, Long Road, Release, and Love Boat Captain (which I really thought was cool with the lyric change to "let the show begin" btw), and although they were all cool, opening with Oceans in Calgary last year blew my fucking mind. absolutely.
    07/21/92 - Thunderbird Stadium (Lollapalooza)
    09/04/93 - BC Place Stadium
    07/19/98 - Pacific Coliseum
    11/05/00 - Key Arena
    05/30/03 - GM Place
    09/02/05 - GM Place
    09/04/05 - Pengrowth Saddledome
    09/05/05 - Rexall Place
    09/07/05 - Civic Union Centre
    07/22/06 - The Gorge
    07/23/06 - The Gorge
  • Options
    penny lanepenny lane Posts: 14
    i have to go with Release...........think i might actually have almost cried hearing it live in '03 finally after all those years

i'm still a little partial to Sometimes though..........loved it in east troy '03

still waiting on wash.............
    restless souls, enjoy your youth
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    My first show in 94 opened with Rearviewmirror...kind of set the tone for my obsession.

No denying Mansfield #3 in 2003 where we actually had 2 openers (Long Road and Can't Keep)...still don't know how they pulled that off - I was exhausted!!!

Favorites are Release and Oceans (when Eddie doesn't screw up the lyrics for the first song!!!)
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    rukind1rukind1 Posts: 1
    Release does it best for me....but was truly stunned when they opened with Alive in Dalas in 03
    Oct 3, 1996 Hartford
    Sep 13, 1998 Hartford
    Sep 1, 2000 Camden
    Oct 18, 2000 Dallas
    Apr 28, 2003 Philly
    June 9, 2003 Dallas
    July 5, 2003 Camden
    Oct 1, 2004 Reading
    Sep 15, 2005 Montreal
    May 27, 2006 Camden
    June 3, 2006 North Jersey
    July 6, 2006 Las Vegas
    June 19, 2008 Camden
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Release
    Oceans
    Wasted Reprise/Life Wasted
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    wpost211wpost211 Posts: 124
    Always love Long Road...

...but Severed Hand kicked such ass in Jersey I was happy to hear it both nights.
    "there's a lot to be said for nowhere...."

1996 - Randall's Island II 1998 - MSG I
    2000 - Jones Beach II & III 2003 - Uniondale, MSG I & II
    2006 - E. Ruth I & II 2007 - Lollapalooza
    2008 - MSG I & II, Hartford 2009 - Philly IV
    2010 - Newark, MSG I & II
  • Options
    its gotta be betterman. listen to melbourne show #1 2003. Itll give you goosebumps
    2003: Melbourne 1
    2006: Verona, Vienna, Zagreb, Melbourne 1-2-3, Adelaide 1-2
    2009: Melbourne
    2010: Belfast
    2012: Werchter
    2014: Melbourne, Adelaide, EV Melb 1-2
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,672
    For me it has to be "Long Road"

"Can't keep" and "release" fall far behind.
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,941
    cilcia wrote:
    No denying Mansfield #3 in 2003 where we actually had 2 openers (Long Road and Can't Keep)...still don't know how they pulled that off - I was exhausted!!!

and don't forgot, we also got Of the Girl and Sometimes in the pre-set
  • Options
    FalcorFalcor Posts: 11
    Saw Present Tense as an opener at St. Louis in 03. It was very dramatic -- they had a bright white light behind ed beaming out at the crowd so that all you could see on stage was a silouhette of ed and all you could hear at the beginning was the sweeping mccready riff with ed's voice coming in. I love the release and of a girl openers, but this PT opener was the most goosebumpesque I've encountered yet.
    You're the only one who cannot forgive yourself
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Federico wrote:
    the only two shows i´ve ever been had weird openers: breakerfall (it had some openings in 2000, am i right?) and MFC (that was really surprising)...breakerfall was cool to open, but mfc was definitely the only negative aspect of that show...it doesnt start as slow as a slow opener and it doesnt start as fast as an uplifiting fast opener...Now i would be really glad to see a slow opening in my next time...anyone would be great...

the new songs?...the wasted reprise opening rules....it gives the show a sense of some religious ceremony or something like that

I think Breakerfall is a fantastic opener. I'd love to hear it as the first song next time I go to a PJ show.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    I too thought that "Release" would forever be my favorite opener. That changed this year with the introduction of the "Wasted Reprise - Life Wasted" opener. Amazing combination, as "Reprise" brings the entire crowd together in an emotional sing-a-long, then "Life Wasted" begs you to blow the roof off the place. Good stuff.
  • Options
    IGotShit24IGotShit24 Posts: 68
    Release is a classic and probably still the best. I would love to hear Breakerfall live, but I agree, the reprise/life wasted is intense, i love it.
  • Options
    I'm dying to hear Oceans as an opener, but that is another song on my always denied list. Anyway, all the songs first mentioned are great, and I'm really enjoying the Wasted Reprise/Life Wasted intro, but...

Longroad - played at my very first PJ show in 98, love it. Also, Borgata I with the crowd singing at the end was amazing!!

Wash - heard in Philly and Camden, beautiful! And, although I absolutely LOVE this song, I have to say my favorite opener is...

RELEASE - only heard once, but gave me chills and a feeling I will never forget :)
  • Options
    merlin401 wrote:
    Which would say is the best PJ opener. Looking back over their tours, there's really 7 that have been standards (ignoring things that opened for one tour and never again). They are...

1) Release
    2) Wash
    3) Oceans
    4) Long Road
    5) Sometimes
    6) Of the Girl
    7) fast song fad of the year (Severed Hand this year, Save you last year, Go, etc)

Personally, I hate the fast song opener... My vote goes to WASH!! Brilliant opening song!
    My Top 4

1) Corduroy
    2) Life Wasted
    3) Release
    4) Long Road
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    release in kc, during torrential downpour and lightining all around......sweet.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    falconfalcon Posts: 163
    Release
    Love Boat Captain
    Go (Boston '04)
    MANSFIELD 7/3/03, 7/11/03
    BOSTON 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    HARTFORD 5/13/06
    BOSTON 5/24/06
    MANSFIELD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    EV BOSTON 8/1/08, 8/2/08
    CHICAGO 8/24/09
    HARTFORD 5/15/10
    BOSTON 5/17/10
    EV PROV 6/15/11
    WORCESTER 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HARTFORD 10/25/13
  • Options
    rodrod Posts: 96
    wash.. or oceans is fine
    I’ll swallow poison, until I grow immune
    I will scream my lungs out till it fills this room

The Ocean is full Cause Everyone's Crying
  • Options
    quickdexquickdex Posts: 44
    I would have to say either "Release" or "Long Road". BUT if I have to choose one I will have to submit to masterpiece known as RELEASE!!! I heard it as the opener at State College '03 and just recently at Washington DC '06... if this song can't bring an audience together, I'm not sure what can!!!
  • Options
    I'd say these 3 are my favs
    WASH
    LOVE BOAT CAPTAIN
    RELEASE
    Master of Zen