Options

Pearl Jam's best "Opener"

merlin401merlin401 Posts: 216
edited June 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Which would say is the best PJ opener. Looking back over their tours, there's really 7 that have been standards (ignoring things that opened for one tour and never again). They are...

1) Release
2) Wash
3) Oceans
4) Long Road
5) Sometimes
6) Of the Girl
7) fast song fad of the year (Severed Hand this year, Save you last year, Go, etc)

Personally, I hate the fast song opener... My vote goes to WASH!! Brilliant opening song!
Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden 1, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    My favorite opener is, and most likely ALWAYS will be Release.

I did however also like Elderly Woman as an opener. Thought that was cool to open the show with.
  • Options
    jck33jck33 Posts: 39
    can't keep, please!
  • Options
    Of the Girl. Not really my favorite, but I'm disappointed it's not being played anymore. Looks like Benaroya Hall '03 was the last time. :(

Release is the best, but they've been playing it a lot lately. I'd like them to mix it up more with all the slow ones. I also don't like the fast ones as much, but once in a while it works.
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    How about Corduroy????
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    Born2JamBorn2Jam Posts: 255
    My favorite one that I've been there to witness is Release.

But I've always wanted to be at a show when they open with Wash.
    That song digs deep down inside me.

I don't care much for the fast song openers myself.
    I like it when they start off slow, ease you in, and then rip it on the second song.
    "This band has provided many people a soundtrack to their lives.." ~ CitizenRick
  • Options
    release
    long road
    oceans
    wash
    sometimes
    of the girl
    interstellar overdrive/corduroy
    wasted reprise/life wasted [2006 tour]
    can't keep

don't go - fast opener, but prefer it as song number 2 in the setlist
    Foo4Everlong
  • Options
    sebaarg88sebaarg88 Posts: 1,277
    oceans
    sometimes
    release
    long road
    wash
    of the girl
    can't keep
    only love can break your heart
    but only love can brake your fall
  • Options
    SPJSPJ BRIGANTINE BEACH Posts: 255
    Release, always.
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I finally got to see Release in D.C. Saw Wash for the first time in Camden. I think Release will always be my favorite.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    Gators76Gators76 Posts: 160
    Sometimes, Cant Keep, Release MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    Toledo 96, Cleveland 03, Pittsburgh 03, Vegas 06,
    San Diego 06.....Do I want some more? I said FUCK YEAH!!!!
  • Options
    From that list? Oceans, with Wash a close second. HATE Long Road, it's so dull.
    At the moment, their best opener is Worldwide Suicide.
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    merlin401 wrote:
    Personally, I hate the fast song opener... My vote goes to WASH!! Brilliant opening song!

I loved hearing Release as the opener, but you are correct. Wash is the best opener, I don't care what anybody says. If anyone disagrees, they're wrong ;)
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    Of the girl
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    weenie wrote:
    How about Corduroy????

I vote Corduroy.... then Long Road, then Oceans.
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    Wash easily!

I love severed hand this year too.
  • Options
    SidetrackedSidetracked Posts: 113
    Has to be Sometimes:D although Present Tense in T. Bay was awesome too!
    done
  • Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    1. Release
    2. Long Road
    3. Wash
    4. Oceans
    5. Of The Girl
    6. Sometimes
    7. Go
    8. Severed Hand

Praying for Release in Pittsburgh!!!
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    merlin401merlin401 Posts: 216
    danny72688 wrote:
    I loved hearing Release as the opener, but you are correct. Wash is the best opener, I don't care what anybody says. If anyone disagrees, they're wrong ;)
    lol, indeed! probably a lot of people have never seen wash open since its so rare... but oh man, is that a great one to open.

For some reason I think i'd like release better as a closer... that would send chills down my spine after a great show
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden 1, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022)
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Long Road hands down.... check out the version on TB 2000.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    jhinkle1114jhinkle1114 Posts: 207
    Release is my favorite opener. Though opening with Evenflow in Pittsburgh in 2000 was a pleasant surprise for me at my first PJ show.
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, DC
    2008: DC, Ed DC II
  • Options
    leadbedr10leadbedr10 Posts: 409
    I vote Corduroy.....

Ive seen Corduroy open about 4 times. I LOVE this as an opener. Gets the crowd going.
  • Options
    Long Road going right into Corduroy is a sweet opening combo, but Release is still the best opener I've seen. That might change if they'd ever play Wash for me.
    8/18/98 - East Lansing * 8/23/98 - Auburn Hills * 8/20/00 - Cincinnati * 8/21/00 - Columbus* 10/7/00 Auburn Hills* 4/25/03 - Cleveland *
    4/26/03 - Pittsburgh * 6/26/03 - Clarkston * 6/28/03 - Toronto * 10/2/04 - Toledo * 9/12/05 - London * 5/19/06 - Grand Rapids * 5/22/06 * Auburn Hills
  • Options
    wahinewahine Posts: 86
    Release
    Wash

Release is such an emotional song for me! I would love to hear Oceans though, what an awesome thought!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine. I Am Mine
    Til the Lightning Bolt sets you free

Wahine - I'm a Lightning Bolt

9/2/98, 7/1/03, 10/3/05, 5/30/06, 6/17/08, ED-8/16/08, 10/30/09, 5/13/10, 10/29/13, 10/14/14

-RIP Hippiemom -
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,799
    never really a big fan of it, but Love Boat Captain is great when Ed changes up the lyrics and sings "Let the show begin..."
  • Options
    ...Bugs...Bugs Posts: 8
    Of the girl

Release in a close 2nd
  • Options
    WesternskyWesternsky Posts: 363
    ...Bugs wrote:
    Of the girl

Was an amazing opener, but my favorite is still Sometimes. :)
  • Options
    solace23solace23 Posts: 704
    Love Release- Never seen Long Road- but hopefully Verona- it's the one song I want to hear
  • Options
    bee_boybee_boy Posts: 384
    I guess it depends on the mood and the setlist... for example I LOVED the way they used Release as an opener for the Polish gig of 2000 (one of my favourite gigs btw) since the whole concert was really laid back and relaxing (If I smoked marihuana I probably would've smoked at least 10 joints in that gig). Of the Girl would be another great opener for laid-back concerts.

When they play bigger arenas I love songs like Long Road that have that movie-like greatness as if the end of the world was close (ok, I gotta stop talking crap)
  • Options
    BubbaBirchBubbaBirch Posts: 1,977
    I think Inside Job would be up there with the great openers if they used it. My favorites are Wash, Release, Sometimes, and Of The Girl.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    merlin401 wrote:
    1) Release
    2) Wash
    3) Oceans
    4) Long Road
    5) Sometimes
    6) Of the Girl
    7) fast song fad of the year (Severed Hand this year, Save you last year, Go, etc)

i've only been to 4 shows. in order the openers were: STBC, long road, oceans, of the girl.