Self driving cars

13»

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    mca47 wrote:
    guess i just like to know im in control of the death machine im driving and if it crashes for whatever reason then its my fault not cause the on board computer had a spazzattack.

theres nothing wrong with technology obviously.. otherwise id be tying this message to a pigeon and hoping someone finds it. but i think that we seem to be trying to take as much responsibility away from ourselves as we can. you know if were not careful were all gonna end up like those fatarse people floating on that space liner in wall e where we do nothing and then find we cant do anything other than that.
    Don't you do that every time you get on a plane?
    Planes fly themselves 95% of the time they are in the air.

yes i do cause im not qualified to fly a plane.. thats why i leave it to the professionals. professionals who can monitor what the computer is doing and most likely know what to do in an emergency. what is the criteria going to be to get a license for one of these new fangled drive themselves cars?? will we even need a license? and what kind of license will it be? i guess id be kinda cool if ALL cars were driving themselves but thats prohibitive affordability wise. and how would they cope with an unforeseen incident.. would all contingencies be covered? clealry im holding out for hover conversions. ;):lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    mca47 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    You do realize that the car you are probably driving is already controlled by a computer? :lol:

The newest cars on the market already have drive by wire technology. The tension you feel on the gas pedal....that's a spring to appease us. The input on the pedal is nothing different than a click on a mouse. Electric steering...yup....probably have that too. Turning your wheel is no different than moving your mouse cursor around the screen to navigate. EVrything on a car now is controlled by the ECU...why not just go one step closer and make them drive themselves. I'd trust a computer against every other driver on the road and myself too. :lol:
    Exactly!!
    Been this way since the late 90s. The steering is a little more "user involved" but the power steering with automatic lateral roll adjustments with tire spin control take a lot of the "input" out.
    The pedal is completely electronic....as you said. The pedal these days isn't quite the throttle position sensory apparatus it used to be. The TPS is completely controlled by the on board computer.

but i still have the last say on everything i do whilst driving. sure theres more electronics but i still decide the car's turning angle. whether or not im gonna risk running that amber light,whether or not im gonna swerve to avoid that animal on the road, how close i park to everything, when to change gears(yes i can drive a manual transmission) i like knowing i have actual driving skills.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    mca47 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    You do realize that the car you are probably driving is already controlled by a computer? :lol:

The newest cars on the market already have drive by wire technology. The tension you feel on the gas pedal....that's a spring to appease us. The input on the pedal is nothing different than a click on a mouse. Electric steering...yup....probably have that too. Turning your wheel is no different than moving your mouse cursor around the screen to navigate. EVrything on a car now is controlled by the ECU...why not just go one step closer and make them drive themselves. I'd trust a computer against every other driver on the road and myself too. :lol:
    Exactly!!
    Been this way since the late 90s. The steering is a little more "user involved" but the power steering with automatic lateral roll adjustments with tire spin control take a lot of the "input" out.
    The pedal is completely electronic....as you said. The pedal these days isn't quite the throttle position sensory apparatus it used to be. The TPS is completely controlled by the on board computer.

but i still have the last say on everything i do whilst driving. sure theres more electronics but i still decide the car's turning angle. whether or not im gonna risk running that amber light,whether or not im gonna swerve to avoid that animal on the road, how close i park to everything, when to change gears(yes i can drive a manual transmission) i like knowing i have actual driving skills.

The computer has the last say technically. :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:

if thats so then what youre telling me is the computer is allowing me to make some pretty shonky decisions... therefore its useless. :P
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    mca47 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Exactly!!

And that's the problem. You can be the best driver in the world, but every minor flaw we all have can be deadly.
    DS1119 wrote:

if thats so then what youre telling me is the computer is allowing me to make some pretty shonky decisions... therefore its useless. :P
    No but now days that computer steps in where you fail. With high end cars these days, you pretty much have to take it to the extreme to actually be in an accident. It's the other clowns THEY have to worry about.
    mca47 wrote:
    And that's the problem. You can be the best driver in the world, but every minor flaw we all have can be deadly.

i dont see it as a problem. i see it as life. the life we all choose to live... not the life run by a computer. you could just as easily(or quite possibly more easily) slip dont a flight of stairs and break your neck.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    mca47 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

No but now days that computer steps in where you fail. With high end cars these days, you pretty much have to take it to the extreme to actually be in an accident. It's the other clowns THEY have to worry about.

and is there an override just in case the computer makes an error or freezes??
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    mca47 wrote:

i dont see it as a problem. i see it as life. the life we all choose to live... not the life run by a computer. you could just as easily(or quite possibly more easily) slip dont a flight of stairs and break your neck.
    I never worry about me making a mistake while on the road. I worry about the millions of other people. I'd feel more safe knowing their car was powered by something other than them.

So when human fails first, which happens all the time, then computer fails?
    :shock:
    mca47 wrote:

So when human fails first, which happens all the time, then computer fails?
    :shock:

no... when im sitting back with my hands behind my head just enjoying the ride cause my car is driving itself and the need arises for me to take control for some reason, will this be possible? will there be an override so im able to do that?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I used to ride on the back of a motorcycle ...
    got to be pretty trusting, I used to like weeing too ;)

Now I'd rather be in control all the time. I'll be the old school person still
    actually driving ... look out :lol:
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    pandora wrote:

:lol: :P

flintstone-car_1728691a.gif
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    DS1119 wrote:
    pandora wrote:

:lol: :P

flintstone-car_1728691a.gif

:lol: love me some Fred .... Yabba Dabba Do!!!! It's Friday :D

no... when im sitting back with my hands behind my head just enjoying the ride cause my car is driving itself and the need arises for me to take control for some reason, will this be possible? will there be an override so im able to do that?

The idea is that all cars will be fully aware of their surroundings and communicate with it's "neighbors". If you're sitting there sipping on a latte and all systems fail at once, the other cars would be able to move out of the way of your out of control death trap. :lol:

Then again, they put emergency brakes in all cars now. Cars that we are already in control of. I'd imagine they'd have some sort of manual override or "if the computer breaks down" to kick in an auto brake.

Either way. I want one!
  • mca47 wrote:
    Cars pretty much drive themselves already. I don't have a fancy car and on my drive home from the airport tonight...

Car recognized the key fob in my pocket and let me in. Sensor in the car recognized it and let me start it without a key. Auto headlights, Back up camera kicked on once in reverse as did the rear facing sonar. Auto everything. Seats adjust, the temperature automatically changed to the temp I told the car. Turn by turn navigation with traffic updates. Bluetooth/handsfree cell with voice recognition. The car monitors my all wheel drive car 200x a second for wheel spin, lateral roll and braking to assist when necessary. I can go on and on...
    The only thing my car didn't do (and its not a fancy car) is turn the steering wheel and press the gas pedal.

Scary stuff. :lol:
    isn't this the definition of a "fancy car"??? If not, I may very well drive the biggest shit box on the road :P
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    mca47 wrote:
    Cars pretty much drive themselves already. I don't have a fancy car and on my drive home from the airport tonight...

Car recognized the key fob in my pocket and let me in. Sensor in the car recognized it and let me start it without a key. Auto headlights, Back up camera kicked on once in reverse as did the rear facing sonar. Auto everything. Seats adjust, the temperature automatically changed to the temp I told the car. Turn by turn navigation with traffic updates. Bluetooth/handsfree cell with voice recognition. The car monitors my all wheel drive car 200x a second for wheel spin, lateral roll and braking to assist when necessary. I can go on and on...
    The only thing my car didn't do (and its not a fancy car) is turn the steering wheel and press the gas pedal.

isn't this the definition of a "fancy car"??? If not, I may very well drive the biggest shit box on the road :P
    :lol:
    I guess I meant relative to the fancy Lexus, Mercedes, BMW-type of cars that have really amazing technology built in. My Nissan has some nice bells and whistles to it, but nothing like those!
  • mca47 wrote:

No kiddin'! I have a CD player...
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    have to admit, after driving over 2400 miles this past weekend, i would have loved to have the car drive itself for a while :lol::lol: