Self driving cars

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    mfc2006 wrote:
    hello, Speedy!!! :wave:

hope all is well!!!
    How are things?
    Ya all moved in?

things are good! we're moved in....unpacked? not so much! :lol: getting close, though.

are you heading to MT?

how are things with you?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:
    hello, Speedy!!! :wave:

hope all is well!!!
    How are things?
    Ya all moved in?

things are good! we're moved in....unpacked? not so much! :lol: getting close, though.

are you heading to MT?

how are things with you?
    No shows for me this year...

Things are GREAT here...
    Work is very busy(which is a good thing)...
    Had a nice Disney Vacation last week....
    Parents are doing well...

All is good!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Mca?

How nuch do these cars cost?
  • Suzi78Suzi78 Posts: 362
    I think this is great and I would even take it as far as making it mandatory for all the shitty drivers out there (as well as people who park like shit, and really reeeaaally old people who are barely breathing but still insist on driving) to "drive" a self driving car.

Maybe DMV could require all drivers to take a "Do I drive like shit?" test and if you fail, well then you'd only be allowed to drive a self-driving car.

That would make me feel much safer on the road :D
    How I choose to feel is how I am
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    guess i just like to know im in control of the death machine im driving and if it crashes for whatever reason then its my fault not cause the on board computer had a spazzattack.

theres nothing wrong with technology obviously.. otherwise id be tying this message to a pigeon and hoping someone finds it. but i think that we seem to be trying to take as much responsibility away from ourselves as we can. you know if were not careful were all gonna end up like those fatarse people floating on that space liner in wall e where we do nothing and then find we cant do anything other than that.
    Don't you do that every time you get on a plane?
    Planes fly themselves 95% of the time they are in the air.

Things are GREAT here...

All is good!

good to hear, man! we aren't going either. instead, we're heading to Kansas City to be a part of my Mom's surprise bday party. can't wait!

which Disney did you go to?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Mca?

How nuch do these cars cost?
    Not sure. The Google cars are basically tricked out Priuses. ??
  • mfc2006 wrote:

Things are GREAT here...

All is good!

good to hear, man! we aren't going either. instead, we're heading to Kansas City to be a part of my Mom's surprise bday party. can't wait!

which Disney did you go to?
    Florida...
    Spent 7 days there...
    Had a freaking BLAST!!!!
    Already booked for next year!!!

So no Pearl Jam shows in 2013 for Ole SPEEDY.....hehehehehe
    Florida...
    Spent 7 days there...
    Had a freaking BLAST!!!!
    Already booked for next year!!!

So no Pearl Jam shows in 2013 for Ole SPEEDY.....hehehehehe

nice!

no PJ shows for us this year either.....
    the move cost a bit more than we thought it would.

2013 will be fun, though :)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Cars pretty much drive themselves already. I don't have a fancy car and on my drive home from the airport tonight...

Car recognized the key fob in my pocket and let me in. Sensor in the car recognized it and let me start it without a key. Auto headlights, Back up camera kicked on once in reverse as did the rear facing sonar. Auto everything. Seats adjust, the temperature automatically changed to the temp I told the car. Turn by turn navigation with traffic updates. Bluetooth/handsfree cell with voice recognition. The car monitors my all wheel drive car 200x a second for wheel spin, lateral roll and braking to assist when necessary. I can go on and on...
    The only thing my car didn't do (and its not a fancy car) is turn the steering wheel and press the gas pedal.

Scary stuff. :lol:
  • Self Driving Cars.....

The idea just scares the hell out of me......
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    You do realize that the car you are probably driving is already controlled by a computer? :lol:

The newest cars on the market already have drive by wire technology. The tension you feel on the gas pedal....that's a spring to appease us. The input on the pedal is nothing different than a click on a mouse. Electric steering...yup....probably have that too. Turning your wheel is no different than moving your mouse cursor around the screen to navigate. EVrything on a car now is controlled by the ECU...why not just go one step closer and make them drive themselves. I'd trust a computer against every other driver on the road and myself too. :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    You do realize that the car you are probably driving is already controlled by a computer? :lol:

The newest cars on the market already have drive by wire technology. The tension you feel on the gas pedal....that's a spring to appease us. The input on the pedal is nothing different than a click on a mouse. Electric steering...yup....probably have that too. Turning your wheel is no different than moving your mouse cursor around the screen to navigate. EVrything on a car now is controlled by the ECU...why not just go one step closer and make them drive themselves. I'd trust a computer against every other driver on the road and myself too. :lol:
    Exactly!!
    Been this way since the late 90s. The steering is a little more "user involved" but the power steering with automatic lateral roll adjustments with tire spin control take a lot of the "input" out.
    The pedal is completely electronic....as you said. The pedal these days isn't quite the throttle position sensory apparatus it used to be. The TPS is completely controlled by the on board computer.
    mca47 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Exactly!!
    Been this way since the late 90s. The steering is a little more "user involved" but the power steering with automatic lateral roll adjustments with tire spin control take a lot of the "input" out.
    The pedal is completely electronic....as you said. The pedal these days isn't quite the throttle position sensory apparatus it used to be. The TPS is completely controlled by the on board computer.

If you're into cars I'll try and dig up the article about what Toyota does with their electric steering. It would scare the shit out of most people...they still do it to this day...and it's safe as fuck. :lol: I'm too shitbagged right now to find it or t ype it but remind me and I will explain.

BTW...I'll be in the Valley tomorrow! Fucking scorpions! :fp: :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Exactly!!

If you're into cars I'll try and dig up the article about what Toyota does with their electric steering. It would scare the shit out of most people...they still do it to this day...and it's safe as fuck. :lol: I'm too shitbagged right now to find it or t ype it but remind me and I will explain.

BTW...I'll be in the Valley tomorrow! Fucking scorpions! :fp: :lol:
    I trust ya. It is pretty amazing how far car technology has come without people realizing it.

Are you looking for places or just here for a visit? High 90s the rest of the week. I have office days/work from home days, the rest of the week. Let me know if you'd like to go grab a beer or two.
    Haven't seen a scorpion in 6 years. You missed out in rattlesnake season. Lizards everywhere and coyotes teasing my cat (via the glass door). :lol:
    mca47 wrote:
    Haven't seen a scorpion in 6 years. You missed out in rattlesnake season. Lizards everywhere and coyotes teasing my cat (via the glass door). :lol:

Hoping to finalize on a place this weekend actually.

Rattlesnake season? Stop with that shit man. :fp:
    DS1119 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

It's in the late spring. You'll be cool!
    mca47 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

It's in the late spring. You'll be cool!

For now. Coyotes don't bother me. Theyre just dogs. Scorpions and snakes. Nope. :fp: :nono:
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I haven't read through this whole thread but if my car knew the way home after a night of debauchery...let's just say there'd be many many more nights of debauchery! :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I haven't read through this whole thread but if my car knew the way home after a night of debauchery...let's just say there'd be many many more nights of debauchery! :lol:

see, you wouldn't die from drunk driving, you'd just die from...drunk :P
  • mca47 wrote:
    and whose responsibility is it when your self driving car has an accident?? insurance companies will love this... using it as an excuse to up your premiums.
    The only accident a self driving car has had is when a human took control of it. Once you get more of them on the road, the safer it will be as they'll be able to "talk" to each other.
    You work for Skynet, don't you? ;)
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    3407964452_1950a0f151.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    so you are telling me, i won't be able to powerslide

i'm out....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    norm wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

see, you wouldn't die from drunk driving, you'd just die from...drunk :P

#fact

Seems like a good way to go!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Teleportation is where is at.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I would buy one...I'm always the DD and it gets old.

I just didn't like the part in the article that said "or for people too young to drive". I think to handle a 2 ton machine, you should be at least 16. Kids like to keep pushing buttons and fucking with shit.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    saw this on the news could only think two things

will it drive me home drunk? ;)

and cars break down all the time not sure I'd want to be hands free going 65
    when it does.