Options

Storytellers Relayer

Comments

• Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,849
    Eh, not so impressed with the setlist. All it needed was last kiss. I shouldn't complain though, it's better than not doing storytellers. You KNOW Mary Kate will get a camera shot on the broadcast....
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    evenflow82 wrote:
    Eh, not so impressed with the setlist. All it needed was last kiss..

what in God's name did you expect from a storytellers broadcast? I mean, seriously.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    what in God's name did you expect from a storytellers broadcast? I mean, seriously.

I was kind of surprised with Sleight Of Hand, Insig., & Army Reserve. More because Army Reserve is my least favorite song off of Pearl Jam, and the other two are my absolute favorites. Not that none of them are bad, they're all amazing in their own way. But, I agree with him. I expected something else...more commercial hits to appeal to whoever sees it.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    (my comments about the setlist pasted from The Porch)

...unemployable? really. I'd figure that they'd be more... spread out in albums. No "no code"? No "Yield"? No "Vs"? But five songs off the newest record...

I'm very very surprised. I love the new album... but... I'd rather hear the story about Present Tense than Betterman.

Not complaining or anything. Just very curious about their selections.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,613

To be honest, Im a fan of the 1998-2006 PJ more then the early stuff, but I am pretty surprised that the amazingly solid majority of the songs were from Binaural and Pearl Jam. I guess I would have liked to see at least another 5 songs (I think theyve earned an hour and a half show at least) and a little more variety. This show had 0 songs from Vs., No Code, Yield or Riot Act and only one from Ten and Vitalogy. Im not complaining, I cant wait to see it, I guess I wish VH1 would have given them more time, so thats all Ill complain about.

And yeah, no offense to PJ, but the setlist seems kind of like the mentality they used when they wanted to sabatoge themselves. I mean if they want to draw some fans in to wanting to watch this program, Im not sure this was the best set. But then again, maybe playing a lot of new stuff, and doing it really well, is the best way, rather then playing the hits we all know, but what do I know.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    My buddy just called..... conversation was short... what they played and details (in no particular order)

Betterman (opened), Sleight of Hand, Army Res, Unemployable, Gone, Insig, Life Wasted, Alive, WWS and maybe one or 2 more songs

Ed gave analysis a few tracks.... was in typical political Ed mode....

At the end about 6-7 questions from the crowd.....

250-300 in attendance... Venue was hotter than hell inside.....

and he sat a few feet away from Mary Kate Olsen..... serious

All Ed songs, huh?... Would have loved to hear Immortality... I thought they would play one of Stone and Jeff's songs. It'd be cool to hear the story behind Low Light, or Fatal or something...

When does it air? I can't wait!
  • Options
    I said I was 'kinda disappointed.' I was bummed there was no vs., no code, or yeild (which seems to be agreed on at the board). I mean geez, how many people are going to be pumped about pj's catalogue after hearing 'sleight of hand'
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    pjfanmanpjfanman Posts: 84
    Army Reserve, Sleight of Hand, Insignificance over Come Back. I don't get it....I guess it won't be a single as I'd hope.
  • Options
    evenflow82 wrote:
    I said I was 'kinda disappointed.' I was bummed there was no vs., no code, or yeild (which seems to be agreed on at the board). I mean geez, how many people are going to be pumped about pj's catalogue after hearing 'sleight of hand'

There's nothing wrong with "Slieght of Hand."

It's not like this is going to follow TRL. It will be on VH1 at what? 8 on a Wednesday night? And it'll air once or twice, and after it will be run on VH1 classic non-stop for the next 2 months. Hope y'all have a VCR or digital cable.
  • Options
    ii44 wrote:

It's not like this is going to follow TRL. It will be on VH1 at what? 8 on a Wednesday night? And it'll air once or twice, and after it will be run on VH1 classic non-stop for the next 2 months. Hope y'all have a VCR or digital cable.

Imo, sleight of hand is one of the most boring songs in the pj catalogue. Granted my opinion means nothing, I think they could have really kept the energy going with something off of the first five albums. Slieght of Hand always seems like it takes people out of the concert.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    Thats a really weak setlist. But meh...not a big deal...
  • Options
    pjfanmanpjfanman Posts: 84
    evenflow82 wrote:
    Imo, sleight of hand is one of the most boring songs in the pj catalogue. Granted my opinion means nothing, I think they could have really kept the energy going with something off of the first five albums. Slieght of Hand always seems like it takes people out of the concert.

I totally agree....one of my least enjoyed songs of the PJ catalogue.

I think Low Light or Come Back over Betterman would have been awesome. Oh well, still a great setlist.

I guess that means that Come Back won't be a single after all. They probably would have played it if they were thinking it had a shot at being one.
  • Options
    ii44 wrote:

Or if you're Canadian like me...have some kind soul who can tape it for u. Any idea when its gonna air??
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    pjfanman wrote:

I think Low Light or Come Back over Betterman would have been awesome. Oh well, still a great setlist.

I guess that means that Come Back won't be a single after all. They probably would have played it if they were thinking it had a shot at being one.

what?!? you people are nuts. there has never been a better piece of poetry than sleight of hand. you guys suck for thinking otherwise. :)
  • Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    pjfanman wrote:

Gotta agree with this too..Sleight of Hand is notorius for breaking momentum at concerts, it is a boring story that has been told a 1,000 times by Pearl Jam and every other band...and the music and melody areforgettable.

How about Tremor Christ? Nothing as it seems? Immortality? Grievance? Rival? All or None? I Got Id? These songs all are original and beautiful...Nothingman? Man of the Hour?

You get the picture...
  • Options
    evenflow82 wrote:

I will :)

besides, I kind of doubt sleight of hand even makes the final broadcast. so no worries. your ears won't be sullied.
  • Options
    it is a boring story that has been told a 1,000 times by Pearl Jam and every other band...

what in God's name are you talking about here?

ps ... by PJ standards, half the songs you mentioned are sub-par. Tremor Christ? Rival? NAIS? ... I mean, it's all relative. they are good songs. but in the bottom portion of the PJ catalogue for me.
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    sleight was slow to grow on me but now I love it - particularly acoustic. better clarity for the subject.

similarly marker in the sand for me was slow to grow, but the lyrics make the song amazing.

...I'd rather hear MITS than Unemployable though, if they were choosing mostly from the latest album.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:
    sleight was slow to grow on me but now I love it - particularly acoustic. better clarity for the subject.

similarly marker in the sand for me was slow to grow, but the lyrics make the song amazing.

...I'd rather hear MITS than Unemployable though, if they were choosing mostly from the latest album.

I agree re: MITS. I'm guessing Unemployable had a better story behind it, maybe.
  • Options
    StrykerStryker Upstate, NY Posts: 585
    I love the new album, however, I think there should have be more of a mix for something like Storytellers. Oh well.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    CJMST3K wrote:
    (my comments about the setlist pasted from The Porch)

...unemployable? really. I'd figure that they'd be more... spread out in albums. No "no code"? No "Yield"? No "Vs"? But five songs off the newest record...

I'm very very surprised. I love the new album... but... I'd rather hear the story about Present Tense than Betterman.

Not complaining or anything. Just very curious about their selections.

I wonder if this is their way of doing it, but doing it on their terms, rather than what others (or Vh1!) thought they should do - their new music is probably what they're most excited about right now....

I just hope I'll get to see the whole thing somehow, and not edited bits only on vh1.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    I wonder if this is their way of doing it, but doing it on their terms, rather than what others (or Vh1!) thought they should do - their new music is probably what they're most excited about right now....

I'm kind of thinking the same thing. If they played too many hits ... thrown Jeremy and Black and Small Town in there, VH1 could have aired an all hits show, left out the new material. I'm thinking by not giving them enough hits to air a hits-only show, it forces vh1 to air more of the songs PJ wants them to air.

just a thought. who knows really?
  • Options
    Any info on the complete set?
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    StrykerStryker Upstate, NY Posts: 585
    I'm kind of thinking the same thing. If they played too many hits ... thrown Jeremy and Black and Small Town in there, VH1 could have aired an all hits show, left out the new material. I'm thinking by not giving them enough hits to air a hits-only show, it forces vh1 to air more of the songs PJ wants them to air.

just a thought. who knows really?

Still, they could have played more non-hits from other albums.
  • Options
    what in God's name are you talking about here?

ps ... by PJ standards, half the songs you mentioned are sub-par. Tremor Christ? Rival? NAIS? ... I mean, it's all relative. they are good songs. but in the bottom portion of the PJ catalogue for me.

"He waves good-bye..to himself....I will see you on the other side..."

C'mon, cliche alt-rock.
  • Options
    muiren77muiren77 Posts: 3,511
    i love sleight of hand...especially the one in benaroya...
    what is essential is invisible to the eye

apparently, 07162056 is THE date...
  • Options
    Or if you're Canadian like me...have some kind soul who can tape it for u. Any idea when its gonna air??

I'm sure some kind soul will post it here about 23 seconds after it airs...
  • Options
    muiren77 wrote:
    i love sleight of hand...especially the one in benaroya...

Sleight o' Hand or no... Still better than the Counting Crows Storyteller hour.
  • Options
    "He waves good-bye..to himself....I will see you on the other side..."

C'mon, cliche alt-rock.

Look, I think Slieght is a good song, but it very downbeat, and not one of PJ's greatest. And not being one of PJs best songs makes about... um... 99% better than most everything else.
  • Options
    (Cough) Trying to hide my double post (cough).

I saw the Crows open for the Who. Their performance was not of high quality.