Options

WE NEED GENERAL ADMISSION SHOWS IN THE U.S.!!

Comments

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Since people don't seem too fond of rear floor seats, perhaps they could make that area GA, so people could romp around all they want without infringing on others who are lucky enough to be in the front sections of the floor.
    Because the fun should be in front of the stage. Helps the band with their energy too.

Seriously, I can hardly believe some of what I'm reading in this thread. :fp: Talk about a fanbase getting outrageously old and lame. Sorry, don't want to insulting, but it's the only way I know how to say it.

Whoa....did I read correctly.....you have yet to attend a PJ show, but you already know what needs to be done to improve them?
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    :lol:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,552
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Since people don't seem too fond of rear floor seats, perhaps they could make that area GA, so people could romp around all they want without infringing on others who are lucky enough to be in the front sections of the floor.
    Because the fun should be in front of the stage. Helps the band with their energy too.

Seriously, I can hardly believe some of what I'm reading in this thread. :fp: Talk about a fanbase getting outrageously old and lame. Sorry, don't want to insulting, but it's the only way I know how to say it.

Whoa....did I read correctly.....you have yet to attend a PJ show, but you already know what needs to be done to improve them?
    I think I still have a right to argue for GA. :? And one can see how active a crowd is on video. And I didn't say I've never been to any rock concert before! I know the difference between GA and seated.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    Everyone has the right to argue, but it adds a bit more cred to said argument if said arguer has experienced said topic in person! ;)
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    At ACL 09 I thought the crowd behaved really well. Ed told us to take care of each other, and was pleased we we were all getting along. It was so muddy from sewage, mud whatever, but yes, there have been GA at festivals in recent years.

But, I prefer seats when they play arenas.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Everyone has the right to argue, but it adds a bit more cred to said argument if said arguer has experienced said topic in person! ;)
    Yeah, I knew you'd call me out when I said it! :lol: No, but really, I know what it's like with GA, and i know that i really wanted GA when i decided to go to MT (although started wondering for a bit when peoplenstarted talking about it being dangerous for some reason at PJ shows and when it occurred to me I'd be at the back if I didn't camp out... and then decided i was glad again when I remembered how fun and exciting GA is and looks at concerts), so I'm comfortable with my opinion here. But I'll get back to you after Missoula to solidify my cred. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    smanchac1 wrote:
    Please don't flame me for this but..

I don't get why we have non GA shows in the states, but in Europe we do. It was not the US but Denmark where the tragedy happened and people lost their lives...
    Yet I go to Copenhagen and the show is at a place that seemed so dangerous I was shocked pj would play there.

Why is it do you guys think that the US shows gets seats where no one has been hurt, but in Europe where it's happened before they still allow GA shows..

Just an honest observation and I was curious as to others opinions on this.

I'm down for either way. The seats in the states work good for10c seniority... But the crowds in Europe were amazing with the GA crowds.. So I'm really undecided here.

Copenhagen didn't feel unsafe to me at all ( I was second row, right in front of eddie). It was packed and sweaty, but I didn't get pushed around at all, and had enough space to move and jump. I loved that show.
    Also, actual ROCK concerts never have seating in Europe. unless it's something like deep purple, where they're sure that there's lots of old people that will attend ;) but even in those cases, it rarely happens. I've not done a PJ US show (yet), but I really can't see how that will feel like an actual rock show to me. I was quite annoyed with all the moving in and out of the rows at Ed shows...I'm just not used to people (in the first 10-15 rows anyway) moving in and out to get beer etc., it was very distracting. plus, being the front row junkie that I admittedly am, I'm not going to like standing reaaallyyyy far back (probably close to the exit according to the shitness of my number). :lol:

also, most of the 10C members on the floor did a great job of looking out for each other. there were quite a lot of us who did more shows on the tour, so you got to know the people, you spend the day together queueing or traveling to the next place, talking and planning and anticipating the show. The 3-4 shows that are the most special to me (amsterdam 2, prague, berlin2, copenhagen) are the ones I got to enjoy with friends, laughing and crying and sharing the experience, looking at each other when a song that someone of us loves started and enjoying to see how much that person enjoys the moment...I'm sure if I end up someone's ticket buddy for upcoming US shows, those will be great people as well (as were the people I split Ed tickets with), but you can't be all together, you have no chance to move somewhere to the side when that one 2 meters tall guy is right in front of you..I love GA really, cause it gives you the choice to be where you want to be. if things get too rough, you can always move to the quiet zone that is stone's side :lol:
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Kathi wrote:
    smanchac1 wrote:

I don't get why we have non GA shows in the states, but in Europe we do. It was not the US but Denmark where the tragedy happened and people lost their lives...
    Yet I go to Copenhagen and the show is at a place that seemed so dangerous I was shocked pj would play there.

Why is it do you guys think that the US shows gets seats where no one has been hurt, but in Europe where it's happened before they still allow GA shows..

I'm down for either way. The seats in the states work good for10c seniority... But the crowds in Europe were amazing with the GA crowds.. So I'm really undecided here.

Copenhagen didn't feel unsafe to me at all ( I was second row, right in front of eddie). It was packed and sweaty, but I didn't get pushed around at all, and had enough space to move and jump. I loved that show.
    Also, actual ROCK concerts never have seating in Europe. unless it's something like deep purple, where they're sure that there's lots of old people that will attend ;) but even in those cases, it rarely happens. I've not done a PJ US show (yet), but I really can't see how that will feel like an actual rock show to me. I was quite annoyed with all the moving in and out of the rows at Ed shows...I'm just not used to people (in the first 10-15 rows anyway) moving in and out to get beer etc., it was very distracting. plus, being the front row junkie that I admittedly am, I'm not going to like standing reaaallyyyy far back (probably close to the exit according to the shitness of my number). :lol:

also, most of the 10C members on the floor did a great job of looking out for each other. there were quite a lot of us who did more shows on the tour, so you got to know the people, you spend the day together queueing or traveling to the next place, talking and planning and anticipating the show. The 3-4 shows that are the most special to me (amsterdam 2, prague, berlin2, copenhagen) are the ones I got to enjoy with friends, laughing and crying and sharing the experience, looking at each other when a song that someone of us loves started and enjoying to see how much that person enjoys the moment...I'm sure if I end up someone's ticket buddy for upcoming US shows, those will be great people as well (as were the people I split Ed tickets with), but you can't be all together, you have no chance to move somewhere to the side when that one 2 meters tall guy is right in front of you..I love GA really, cause it gives you the choice to be where you want to be. if things get too rough, you can always move to the quiet zone that is stone's side :lol:
    :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,267
    I'm happy they have seats in US, cos then I don't need to go and save a lot of €€€€. Got seats both nights at PJ20 and that's enough for me. :D
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options
    rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    Kathi wrote:
    smanchac1 wrote:

:wave: :thumbup:
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Options
    rafie wrote:
    Kathi wrote:
    smanchac1 wrote:

:wave: :thumbup:

:wave: the elderly, the pregnant, the weak... :lol::lol:
  • Options
    rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    Kathi wrote:

Don't forget the handicapped and children under 12 :mrgreen:
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    I had more fun at MIA fest than I did at anyother PJ seated concert. The vibe was so cool and everyone was peaceful. Maybe had like 5 crowdsurfers come towards me and everyone around me either kept them up or took them down in a caring way as they were bout to fall.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    rafie wrote:
    Kathi wrote:

Don't forget the handicapped and children under 12 :mrgreen:

:lol::lol::mrgreen:
  • Options
    I don't want to read all this stuff, 7 pages I just want to say

GA RULES .... you pussy's :lol::lol::lol:

Seated show is good only if you get a lottery seats.
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
  • Options

or the show is on a boat.. :lol:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,879

It's reserved spots. I don't see it as "seated" cause many of us don't "sit" at @ a Pearl Jam show. We stand (well the majority of us) the whole time and we listen to our masters @ work that are up on stage. We can buy Pearl Jam merchandise without worrying if it get's smashed. Not having to worry about drunks or crazy ballistic fans that push & shove & kick & smash their way up to the stage that don't give a fuck what's around them by any means necessary. We can go for a drink, take a piss, meet up with friends @ the halls, pick up more merchandise goodies anytime we want and still come back to our "reserved spot" without pushing & shoving and causing a rockis.

Keep GA show's in Europe. We still have GA show's here but they are for festival show's. And Pearl Jam sure does do USA Festival show's so there are GA PJ show's here. Indoor show's in hockey / basketball arenas, should always be "reserved seating".
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:

It's reserved spots. I don't see it as "seated" cause many of us don't "sit" at @ a Pearl Jam show. We stand (well the majority of us) the whole time and we listen to our masters @ work that are up on stage. We can buy Pearl Jam merchandise without worrying if it get's smashed. Not having to worry about drunks or crazy ballistic fans that push & shove & kick & smash their way up to the stage that don't give a fuck what's around them by any means necessary. We can go for a drink, take a piss, meet up with friends @ the halls, pick up more merchandise goodies anytime we want and still come back to our "reserved spot" without pushing & shoving and causing a rockis.

Keep GA show's in Europe. We still have GA show's here but they are for festival show's. And Pearl Jam sure does do USA Festival show's so there are GA PJ show's here. Indoor show's in hockey / basketball arenas, should always be "reserved seating".
    BOOOOOOO!!!! :evil: ;)
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    demetrios wrote:

Niko knows very well how the shows are in the States. Still saying the atmosphere is rather staid, whether the seats are used or not ;)
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    Hinn wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

Niko knows very well how the shows are in the States. Still saying the atmosphere is rather staid, whether the seats are used or not ;)
    Speaking for every concert I've ever been to, I agree. Seats just get in the way on the floor and reduce the energy of the crowd IMHO.
  • Options
    smanchac1 wrote:

The Forum at Copenhagen was stupidly hot. Other than that, I'm not sure why you'd say it seemed dangerous. Care to explain? Curious. Sectioned off front section and all.

It has happened before, but safety in 2012 is a far cry from 2000. A lot has been written about this, the wider use of barriers - Ts, Ds, double Ds, Ts matched inside Ds, and so on.

People have been hurt in concerts EVERYWHERE. Again, I'm not sure what you mean by saying 'in Europe where it's happened before they still allow GA shows'. The norm in Europe for rock music is GA. Clubs obviously. Arenas and theatres still do seats, to be sure, but that's for comedy, plays, MOR and generally softer acts. Where proper rock acts are concerned, it's rare that seats will be in place anywhere, other than the permanent ones in the stands, in the circle.
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    Hinn wrote:
    smanchac1 wrote:

The Forum at Copenhagen was stupidly hot. Other than that, I'm not sure why you'd say it seemed dangerous. Care to explain? Curious. Sectioned off front section and all.

It has happened before, but safety in 2012 is a far cry from 2000. A lot has been written about this, the wider use of barriers - Ts, Ds, double Ds, Ts matched inside Ds, and so on.

People have been hurt in concerts EVERYWHERE. Again, I'm not sure what you mean by saying 'in Europe where it's happened before they still allow GA shows'. The norm in Europe for rock music is GA. Clubs obviously. Arenas and theatres still do seats, to be sure, but that's for comedy, plays, MOR and generally softer acts. Where proper rock acts are concerned, it's rare that seats will be in place anywhere, other than the permanent ones in the stands, in the circle.

The forum was hot yes... But here's why I said that. I was at Berlin 1-2 Stockholm and Oslo also. Berlin and Stockholm had huge crowds, close to 20000 each. Oslo had 9k and Copenhagen had 8 (I believe)

Each show besides Copenhagen had a normal crowd setup, big floors and lots of people. I went inside during the X set in Copenhagen and was like oh my god! The place was packed body to body from the stage all the way to the bar. There was only one exit on the side of the building, and it seemed far more dangerous than the other shows. I was actually concerned for people inside. That's also why it was so hot because so many people were packed in together.

See this photo? http://www.theskyiscrape.com/2012/07/ju ... hagen.html - the exit is To the far right and with 3 small stairs leading up to the main exit. Very dangerous if people needed to get out fast.

Here's another one - http://takingnotesandpictures.files.wor ... h-2012.png

The exit is to the far left. Imagine the people all the way against the right wall trying to exit if they had to. Would be tough.

I'm not saying that the crowd was dangerous, but the venue design was. And I also said It's happened in Europe - referring to the 9 people who lost their lives in Denmark. Those shows didn't happen in the USA and we get seats while Europe and other areas do not, but the tragedy happened there. Also surprised me that the only place I ever thought was a bad setup was also in the same country as the people who got killed. That's why I made the comments I did.

Again, the pj show in 2012 was great. I only said what I did about the venue because I could see a massive stampede in the event of a fire and or other emergency.

Hope I explained my self good enough for you. Here's one more for good measure.

http://www.twylah.com/PearlJam/tweets/2 ... 6604685312

Finally, I didn't mean why do they - meaning Europe, I meant why do they - Pearl Jam have the seating rules in the USA but not in europe.
  • Options
    I think they don't do seating in Europe cause no one else does, either. You will of course have seats in arenas, but those are the ones that are always there. No rock shows have seated floors here, wouldn't be appreciated by the audiences at all.
  • Options
    smanchac1 wrote:
    Hinn wrote:
    smanchac1 wrote:

The forum was hot yes... But here's why I said that. I was at Berlin 1-2 Stockholm and Oslo also. Berlin and Stockholm had huge crowds, close to 20000 each. Oslo had 9k and Copenhagen had 8 (I believe)

Each show besides Copenhagen had a normal crowd setup, big floors and lots of people. I went inside during the X set in Copenhagen and was like oh my god! The place was packed body to body from the stage all the way to the bar. There was only one exit on the side of the building, and it seemed far more dangerous than the other shows. I was actually concerned for people inside. That's also why it was so hot because so many people were packed in together.

See this photo? http://www.theskyiscrape.com/2012/07/ju ... hagen.html - the exit is To the far right and with 3 small stairs leading up to the main exit. Very dangerous if people needed to get out fast.

The exit is to the far left. Imagine the people all the way against the right wall trying to exit if they had to. Would be tough.

I'm not saying that the crowd was dangerous, but the venue design was. And I also said It's happened in Europe - referring to the 9 people who lost their lives in Denmark. Those shows didn't happen in the USA and we get seats while Europe and other areas do not, but the tragedy happened there. Also surprised me that the only place I ever thought was a bad setup was also in the same country as the people who got killed. That's why I made the comments I did.

Again, the pj show in 2012 was great. I only said what I did about the venue because I could see a massive stampede in the event of a fire and or other emergency.

Finally, I didn't mean why do they - meaning Europe, I meant why do they - Pearl Jam have the seating rules in the USA but not in europe.
    You have a major fire break out in any indoor venue, and you're likely in some trouble. It really doesn't matter where it is. That many people in a confined crowd + major fire = disaster. It wouldn't be any different if it wasn't GA though. Maybe a bit less of a disaster, but not much. There would be a stampede either way. I mean, there are times when people can't even get out of 350 person limit clubs in fires because they're trampled. :? Sorry for the miserable comment, but it's true.
  • Options
    smanchac1 wrote:
    Hinn wrote:
    smanchac1 wrote:

I'd been in harder-packed indoor arenas than that. MEN in Manchester springs to mind. I had zero pressure around me, on the wide left. Felt rather comfortable, really, other than the heat.

I was on the extreme Mike-side rail. I may be wrong, drink and all, but I do think I saw an exit past there. I presume it'd be the same case on Stone-side. They weren't opened at the start for crowd management issues (god, the 10cnqueuers would be complaining until the end of time if they opened a separate entry point), and not at the end, probably because them exits, if they do in fact exist, back right onto residential flats rather than the wider open space on the main road.

Pearl Jam don't have seating rules in Europe because Europe doesn't have seating rules. That's the simple answer. What they do have is negotiating power with the venues, around safety measures, around their own security acting in a lead role to guide how the local security should respond.

Sure the tragedy happened there, I went around a couple of days later to head over to the memorial. Spose we just have different perceptions - I think the venue's big failing was with ventilation, not with the lack of exits, since I'm pretty sure they were right there in front of me.

Hell, I'd be far more comfortable getting out of that place in a GA format than if they brought in temporary seating, no need to climb over a whole lot of flimsy seats that might collapse under me!
  • Options
    no shit...Copenhagen was a sauna
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    No, we don't.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I think I still have a right to argue for GA. :? And one can see how active a crowd is on video. And I didn't say I've never been to any rock concert before! I know the difference between GA and seated.
    Okay, I have "cred" now, having been to the MT show with a solid spot on the floor. Just an FYI, I can now confirm that one does not need PJ-exclusive GA experience to know if they think GA is awesome or not, or whether or not it's more fun that seated floors. :roll: So now, with my "exclusive experience" I would like to say: PLEASE HAVE GA FLOOR AT EVERY PEARL JAM SHOW!! :)
  • Options
    8 pages

im good with GA for club shows but that's it
  • Options
    people was at missoula loved it.....dont have to mention how many here in he forum said and thank the people they met and hung all day together..