Options

WE NEED GENERAL ADMISSION SHOWS IN THE U.S.!!

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,565
edited October 2012 in The Porch
Look, not even once did Ed ask us to take 2 steps back last night and watch our neighbor. He does that for every GA show in the world.

The energy last night was insane! It was because PJ fans haven't had GA shows in over a decade and went crazy.
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kg91kg91 Posts: 8
    So there is no general admission for any pearl jam shows. Is there only seats?
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,903
    Absolutely! The die hards earn their right to be close to the stage :D.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    The energy last night was insane! It was because PJ fans haven't had GA shows in over a decade and went crazy.

Not quite - they did Lolla in 07 and Bonaroo in 08 or 09, and some other festivals in later years.

The main reason I prefer non-GA is because I'm small and female. It has been my experience that GA is kind of a Darwin area; ie. survival of the fittest - if you are little and female, it is easy to get pushed around. Reserved ticketing gives everyone a fair shake and a tiny piece of real estate to call their own for the night. I loved being at Lolla but I stayed way back so I wouldn't get stepped on or surfed on.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    ask the people around the super super sweaty dude if the want more ga shows :lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    no thank you. MUCH prefer seated
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329

Let's go stat tracker, get last nights set on there. I want to see if I earned a new trophy :lol:

(posted from said app :D)
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    8 PJ shows I've been to in good ol' Europe and not once has Ed asked the crowd to step back. Granted it happens but not at every show.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:

Not quite - they did Lolla in 07 and Bonaroo in 08 or 09, and some other festivals in later years.

The main reason I prefer non-GA is because I'm small and female. It has been my experience that GA is kind of a Darwin area; ie. survival of the fittest - if you are little and female, it is easy to get pushed around. Reserved ticketing gives everyone a fair shake and a tiny piece of real estate to call their own for the night. I loved being at Lolla but I stayed way back so I wouldn't get stepped on or surfed on.

They can play venues that have both GA and seating

Pearl Jam next time you play MSG have the front section of the floor be GA! :D
    severed hand thirteen

• Options

Let's go stat tracker, get last nights set on there. I want to see if I earned a new trophy :lol:

(posted from said app :D)

(It's gonna be delayed by a week or so)
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329

:thumbup:
  • Options
    No thanks!! I'd rather have seats in the back then deal with the drunken fools again.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    People are have an issue about surviving and drunk assholes....if the General Admission is reserved for only the front section of an arena show for 10c fans then every 10c fan would look out for each other. Now I know there are a few exceptions but it brings the show to a new level. Give 10c members the chance to pick GA, Side Stage, or floor seats.

Last night was nuts! There was a girl no taller than 5 feet in front of me, but everyone kept their space and watched out for her. We were 10-15 rows away from the stage.

I know about Lolla and Roo but this was PHILLY in the North East this wasn't Tennessee where everyone around the country travels....or Chicago where the Midwest comfort is not the north east rage.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,645
    There is GA in Missoula.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    JaneNY wrote:

If Wembley Arena and London O2 can do a whole 10c GA floor, don't see why MSG would have to only settle for a front floor section.

Yes, America need more GA shows. Them 14 shows I'd been to in North America, they'd been rather sedate really. Sure would make it a whole lot more appealing to make the trip across the pond.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    Hinn wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

If Wembley Arena and London O2 can do a whole 10c GA floor, don't see why MSG would have to only settle for a front floor section.

Yes, America need more GA shows. Them 14 shows I'd been to in North America, they'd been rather sedate really. Sure would make it a whole lot more appealing to make the trip across the pond.[/quote]

I'd rather the whole floor too, just trying to appease the short and old people :lol:
    severed hand thirteen

• Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    boyo79 wrote:
    8 PJ shows I've been to in good ol' Europe and not once has Ed asked the crowd to step back. Granted it happens but not at every show.

he did in berlin - one of the few shows that didn't have a fenced off pit section before the stage, so it got a bit more pushy. however, as you say, it was not at all shows...in fact, most of them were not bad at all. you get to know the people around you as the tour continues, and based on my experience most 10c members do look out for each other. also, going into the arenas has been very civilized, thanks to very good handling by security.

I really wish the US had GA shows...I've never done reserved seating, but I can't imagine being in a confined space for a rock show, and especially not getting to chose whom you spend it with.
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,082
    Seats, please. They've usually been pretty good too, no sense messing with a good thing.
  • Options
    i read a lot of bad things about berlin this past summer. none of it was positive. even ed was worried.

SO, NO THANKS

=bad idea
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    i read a lot of bad things about berlin this past summer. none of it was positive. even ed was worried.

SO, NO THANKS

=bad idea
    I went to 6 shows in Europe. Berlin shows were the only ones that were an issue for me so I don't think that should be used as the benchmark for GA shows. Prague, Stockholm, Oslo and Copenhagen GA crowds were amazing, no pushing and shoving, and no need for Ed to ask people to take steps back. Security was a huge factor, they were great except for Berlin so it was no surprise to me that the Berlin crowd was out of control. There was a douchey guy behind me in Stockholm, security immediately told him to chill out and he was no longer an issue for me.

I agree GA shows are scary, I had a bad experience at Manchester 2000 but after this past Europe tour, I think it's time to bring it back to the US. After having been within first 3 rows of the stage, settling back into my 10c seat is going to be rough :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:

SO, NO THANKS

=bad idea
    I went to 6 shows in Europe. Berlin shows were the only ones that were an issue for me so I don't think that should be used as the benchmark for GA shows. Prague, Stockholm, Oslo and Copenhagen GA crowds were amazing, no pushing and shoving, and no need for Ed to ask people to take steps back. Security was a huge factor, they were great except for Berlin so it was no surprise to me that the Berlin crowd was out of control. There was a douchey guy behind me in Stockholm, security immediately told him to chill out and he was no longer an issue for me.

I agree GA shows are scary, I had a bad experience at Manchester 2000 but after this past Europe tour, I think it's time to bring it back to the US. After having been within first 3 rows of the stage, settling back into my 10c seat is going to be rough :mrgreen:

hearing about one bad time is enough for me to not want them entirely. i can barely stand ga club shows cause of rude people.

glad you agree they are scarey...i cant even imagine what happened to you in manchester 2000. care to share?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Aside from concerns about being crushed or trampled in huge crowds (which I assume isn't normal), what is bad about GA?? I've never a really had GA tix to any concert outside of festivals (where there were never probs, but I avoid the pit), or large clubs, which don't count. So I'll be experiencing it for the first time in MT. What are people's complaints?? Are people so awful that you spend three hours being pushed around so that you fall right to the back if you don't participate in the struggle or something???
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Suziemay wrote:

SO, NO THANKS

=bad idea

hearing about one bad time is enough for me to not want them entirely. i can barely stand ga club shows cause of rude people.

glad you agree they are scarey...i cant even imagine what happened to you in manchester 2000. care to share?
    It was my first PJ show and first GA show in the arena and I was in the pit. People were pushing from all directions and I could barely breathe because there was literally no room for my lungs to expand. If I had lost my footing there was no doubt that I would have gotten trampled on so I just focused on not falling over, although it was probably impossible to given there was no room :lol::lol: Compounding the fear was I was there with only one other person who was paying no attention to me (bastard).

This scenario would never happen again in my opinion. That was pre-Roskilde and PJ and their fans are a lot more mature now and safety is top of mind. As bad as the Berlin shows were this year, I was never afraid for my safety the way I was in 2000, just worried and annoyed. I was more upset because Ed was visibly upset especially Berlin 2, and I thought he was going to lose his shit but he didn't, and towards the end of the show he was happy again and he said,"Everyone's smiling!" No way would I have been close enough in a US show to even see Ed's emotions and facial expressions to sense how he was feeling, all that made the Europe shows so special to me. People I didn't know were taking care of me, and Ed was always looking into the crowd to make sure things were not out of control. I truly blame security in Berlin. They couldn't care less that people were getting crushed. Even Ed got mad at them, at one point he was trying to get a security guy's attention to give someone a guitar pick and the guy was in outer space somewhere. Ed got this really angry look in his eyes, one I don't think I've seen in awhile and ended up throwing the pick on the guy's head (that was kinda funny).

I should have said GA shows seem scary, not are scary. It's hard to type on a mobile device! Before this past summer I was really afraid too but after the recent positive experience, I'm all for it now. For PJ anyway. Still not sure about other bands and fans which was one of the reasons I wasn't keen on Philly.
    Post edited by Suziemay on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Aside from concerns about being crushed or trampled in huge crowds (which I assume isn't normal), what is bad about GA?? I've never a really had GA tix to any concert outside of festivals (where there were never probs, but I avoid the pit). So I'll be experiencing it for the first time in MT. What are people's complaints?? Are people so awful that you spend three hours being pushed around so that you fall right to the back if you don't participate in the struggle or something???
    As someone who is extremely uncomfortable with uncertainty, it's stressful for me not knowing I have a specific spot to go to. When they start letting people in, I have to make a decision where to go, who to stand with etc.Do I go Mike's side and be 2nd row, or do I go Stone's side and be on the rail? What time do I need to be there to get on the rail? As uncomfortable as all that uncertainty is, I think it's worth it! Plus you get to stand with your friends where you don't have that choice it's 10c seats.

Oh and buying merch is a pain in the butt but as long as you get to know people around you and don't buy more than you can hang on to, again, it's worth it. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Usually I am not at ALL a GA fan, being 5'3" and liking some space to myself, it usually poses problems. HOWEVER, last night at Made In America was a really positive GA experience. I was all the way up front...but still had room! It was a pleasure. Great people around me made for a terrific atmosphere, restored some of my faith in GA.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    I love GA if the conditions are right.. If I have people around me who are poking their elbows out and standing like statues it sucks, but if I have people rockin' out, swaying to the music and jumping, I love it... I enjoyed the GA situation at Bonnaroo 08 more than MIA last night.. I don't know if it was because I was younger or if I just had a better immediate crowd around me at Bonnaroo...
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Options
    samjam wrote:
    Usually I am not at ALL a GA fan, being 5'3" and liking some space to myself, it usually poses problems. HOWEVER, last night at Made In America was a really positive GA experience. I was all the way up front...but still had room! It was a pleasure. Great people around me made for a terrific atmosphere, restored some of my faith in GA.
    I'm 5'10", so I'm thinking that will make things easier for me. Hopefully. I am wondering about logistics you mentioned too Suzie. So I decided not to even think about it. I won't get through a show after a few drinks without needed a bathroom break anyway, so I figure there is no point in even trying to get that close to the front. Luckily the floor in MT is really small. I think only big enough for 1200 people or something. Anyway, hope it will be cool (to my taste). Do people ever switch off?? Trade someone with a seat halfway through?? Or is that just not possible because of the wristband?
  • Options
    samjam wrote:

I'm a full foot taller than you and that's why I'm biased and want GA shows :lol:

Glad you had fun :)
    severed hand thirteen

• Options
    not sure how many other shows they do it for, put the Comcast theater in Hartford has a "pit" section up front at Mayhem festivals (this year was Motorhead/Slayer/Slipknot headlining)that is GA that takes up maybe 10 rows. I don't remember hearing about many injuries and my son and friends daughter came out of there fine.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497

Yup.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,991
    Let there be lots & lots of USA PJ festival show's with general admission galore.

But for indoor shows, for the love of GOD, please don't change the reserved seating.