Options

WE NEED GENERAL ADMISSION SHOWS IN THE U.S.!!

Comments

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    as long as there is another section for assigned seating, its all good.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    you want chairs...buy the DVD and watch it on your comfy lazyboy with your popcorn.. :corn: :corn:

sorry...just my opinion...

i know there are some exceptions to the rules (safety/etc etc) but for the majority...it should be GA...

next thing people are going to start asking for them to turn the volumn down... :fp: :fp:
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    curly wrote:
    you want chairs...buy the DVD and watch it on your comfy lazyboy with your popcorn.. :corn: :corn:

i know there are some exceptions to the rules (safety/etc etc) but for the majority...it should be GA...

next thing people are going to start asking for them to turn the volumn down... :fp: :fp:

people have medical issues dude.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Misoula show is in 3 weeks

will be good that you not have to say "see you after the show" to your friends.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    I don't like the idea of General Admission. I'm too old and my wife is too short not to be able to know we are getting seats.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    curly wrote:

And some people act like assholes during the show making it too dangerous for some of us shorter people to get as close as we would like to the stage. Why should THOSE kind of people be rewarded for their conduct with more PJ GA shows?
    Before anyone says it...NO it's not a part of GA if people know how to behave themselves and can hold their alcohol. I've done GA for Foo Fighters and Springsteen and I don't see the pushing and BS that goes on at SOME PJ GA shows.
    Until the minority that ruin it for everyone GROWS UP, I don't want to see GA in North America.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,880
    What if, let's say what if ... one of the show's next year in the USA or CDN, is a General Admission show. BUT .. they are seats. Listen now. Same like any regular reserved seating show but it's first come first serve like you going to the movie theaters. You can bring your group of friends and take up the seats of your like. There will be a limit as there are so many seats on the main floor of the centre. It would be madness when at 6:45 the doors open and everybody rushing down the stairs to get their seats but if it's well managed and well scripted, everybody can be happy from this. To test this out you must try it.
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    What if, let's say what if ... one of the show's next year in the USA or CDN, is a General Admission show. BUT .. they are seats. Listen now. Same like any regular reserved seating show but it's first come first serve like you going to the movie theaters. You can bring your group of friends and take up the seats of your like. There will be a limit as there are so many seats on the main floor of the centre. It would be madness when at 6:45 the doors open and everybody rushing down the stairs to get their seats but if it's well managed and well scripted, everybody can be happy from this. To test this out you must try it.

That will be madness and dangerous. People will be hopping over seats and people. That's a serious injury waiting to happen.
    The only way this works is if the crowd is let in, say 20 at a time or something...and no allowing people to SAVE seats for people showing up later!
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    There's just far too many assholes to make it work. My wife is 5'1 and would be pushed around by them. I'm 6'2, 285lbs....more than capable of taking care of myself, but I do not attend a concert to engage in physicality, and furthermore, I do not condone the use of force to solve an issue...I'm a talk about the problem type of guy.

I also bring my 8 year old son to concerts with me (Some of you may remember him from PJ20 as the kind little fan who kept asking them to play Red Mosquito and then gave all of my beer away to other fans while we were in the parking lot. He's got a few "unique needs" (I'd rather not go into details), but it would not be safe for him to come to a GA venue with me.

Unfortunately, the 1% would truly ruin it for the 99%. GA is great for venues that have lawn seating. This way I have the option to have a reserved seat and the party crowd has the option to enjoy the GA experience. It may have cost me much more than I anticipated last year to have seats for PJ20, but other than the asshat who lit off the chinese lantern, I felt no safety concerns whatsoever for my little guy.....although he is a competitive wrestler, so as long as the asshat was in the 60lb range, he'd probably be able to protect himself well enough!
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    edited September 2012
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    curly wrote:

And some people act like assholes during the show making it too dangerous for some of us shorter people to get as close as we would like to the stage. Why should THOSE kind of people be rewarded for their conduct with more PJ GA shows?
    Before anyone says it...NO it's not a part of GA if people know how to behave themselves and can hold their alcohol. I've done GA for Foo Fighters and Springsteen and I don't see the pushing and BS that goes on at SOME PJ GA shows.
    Until the minority that ruin it for everyone GROWS UP, I don't want to see GA in North America.
    Wait, we're talking about rock concerts here. I don't think that the sick, elderly, little children, and terminally mellow should be the absolute number one consideration here! :lol: It's SUPPOSED to be a party where people can rock out, use up that music energy... there is always a seating option - LOTS of it - for everyone who isn't into the high energy (or have little children, a bad knee, etc), but no way should the high energy GA atmosphere be banned from rock concerts just because SOME people are adverse to it. Something for everyone - so GA floor - should absolutely be the way they go!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    Since people don't seem too fond of rear floor seats, perhaps they could make that area GA, so people could romp around all they want without infringing on others who are lucky enough to be in the front sections of the floor.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Since people don't seem too fond of rear floor seats, perhaps they could make that area GA, so people could romp around all they want without infringing on others who are lucky enough to be in the front sections of the floor.
    Because the fun should be in front of the stage. Helps the band with their energy too.

Seriously, I can hardly believe some of what I'm reading in this thread. :fp: Talk about a fanbase getting outrageously old and lame. Sorry, don't want to insulting, but it's the only way I know how to say it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    some times i feel that in Europe there are not short people like the states, and cos i prefer GA im something like criminal that ill go to a show and rule everyone privacy...
    when u go to a place with alot of people,if you are an asshole and want to rule everyones night,you will do it cos you are an asshole and not cos the venue has seats or not..
    the Americans was this year at euro 12 knows now why GA is a better way to enjoy ,fell the energy of the crowd and this give and take energy from the the band is unique....and be with your friends to the venue..

anyway.... you will see the comment of the people will go to Missoula..
    the only thing i see here is more Americans friend try GA once..,want GA....even they came to Europe shows or was at Philly.....they get the feeling..and when you feel different you cant fool your self..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    some times i feel that in Europe there are not short people like the states, and cos i prefer GA im something like criminal that ill go to a show and rule everyone privacy...
    when u go to a place with alot of people,if you are an asshole and want to rule everyones night,you will do it cos you are an asshole and not cos the venue has seats or not..
    the Americans was this year at euro 12 knows now why GA is a better way to enjoy ,fell the energy of the crowd and this give and take energy from the the band is unique....and be with your friends to the venue..

anyway.... you will see the comment of the people will go to Missoula..
    the only thing i see here is more Americans friend try GA once..,want GA....even they came to Europe shows or was at Philly.....they get the feeling..and when you feel different you cant fool your self..
    :thumbup:
  • Options
    Look, not even once did Ed ask us to take 2 steps back last night and watch our neighbor. He does that for every GA show in the world.

The energy last night was insane! It was because PJ fans haven't had GA shows in over a decade and went crazy.
    Yes they have, every festival they play is GA. This was the fourth time since 2008 I saw them GA at a festival in the US
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Wait, we're talking about rock concerts here. I don't think that the sick, elderly, little children, and terminally mellow should be the absolute number one consideration here! :lol: It's SUPPOSED to be a party where people can rock out, use up that music energy... there is always a seating option - LOTS of it - for everyone who isn't into the high energy (or have little children, a bad knee, etc), but no way should the high energy GA atmosphere be banned from rock concerts just because SOME people are adverse to it. Something for everyone - so GA floor - should absolutely be the way they go!

Ok so you clearly haven't been to a seated PJ show in a while have you? The shows are very high energy. You don't need a pit to have a party atmosphere (remember Philly 4th night). Nobody is asking for a high energy atmosphere to be banned. If seeing PJ alone isn't enough to make you festive there's something wrong with you lol.

Furthermore you don't have to be ROWDY to enjoy a show and sadly there is a SMALL percentage of fans who
    feel like they have to pretend it's still 1992 at the shows (or that feel they have to be shitfaced) to have a good time. That ruins things for everyone.

I am all for GA once in a while (but not for every show) IF it can be done safely. Bruce does GA best and there is very very little pushing and shoving. People are VERY respectful of each other and we all have a rockin good time. It's even safe for children at Bruce (I saw a bunch at the Skydome 2 weeks ago). Sadly the Pearl Jam crowd in general hasn't reached the same level of maturity that Bruce's fan base has. (mostly due to the 1% of drunken assholes or those that are stuck in 1992). I think the system they have right now is working just fine. You know how the saying goes.."if it ain't broke..."
  • Options
    Look, not even once did Ed ask us to take 2 steps back last night and watch our neighbor. He does that for every GA show in the world.

The energy last night was insane! It was because PJ fans haven't had GA shows in over a decade and went crazy.
    Yes they have, every festival they play is GA. This was the fourth time since 2008 I saw them GA at a festival in the US
    now u mention this,was unsafe at philly cos of GA? as far read here or talk in facebook,noone had issues,all enjoy the show,singing,having fun and was safe...
    and i saw comment from people was 1st time at the rail and went crazy how close was to the band..
  • Options

Ok I was at the show too and you know why that happened?? Because we were at a hip hop festival and a lot of people left after Drake. It was an interesting mix of people there. Had this been a rock festival or a strictly PJ thing Ed would have had to ask us to take a step back.
    I was pleasantly surprised how great the crowd was and how close I was able to get having only arrived at 5:30pm lol.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Ok so you clearly haven't been to a seated PJ show in a while have you? The shows are very high energy. You don't need a pit to have a party atmosphere (remember Philly 4th night). Nobody is asking for a high energy atmosphere to be banned. If seeing PJ alone isn't enough to make you festive there's something wrong with you lol.

Furthermore you don't have to be ROWDY to enjoy a show and sadly there is a SMALL percentage of fans who
    feel like they have to pretend it's still 1992 at the shows (or that feel they have to be shitfaced) to have a good time. That ruins things for everyone.

I am all for GA once in a while (but not for every show) IF it can be done safely. Bruce does GA best and there is very very little pushing and shoving. People are VERY respectful of each other and we all have a rockin good time. It's even safe for children at Bruce (I saw a bunch at the Skydome 2 weeks ago). Sadly the Pearl Jam crowd in general hasn't reached the same level of maturity that Bruce's fan base has. (mostly due to the 1% of drunken assholes or those that are stuck in 1992). I think the system they have right now is working just fine. You know how the saying goes.."if it ain't broke..."
    i understand what you say..and i agree with you..if isnt safe,i dont want it too..
    but as far as i see..cos i did both GA and Seated at PJ show,isnt unsafe at GA...
    10clubbers especially watch out eachother.at Europe we didnt let anyone even to think that could rule the rest friends their night..
    .and the big asshole at Berlin everyone talking was kinda unsafe,was a Canadian that push and want to do surfing at the songs..
  • Options

now u mention this,was unsafe at philly cos of GA? as far read here or talk in facebook,noone had issues,all enjoy the show,singing,having fun and was safe...
    and i saw comment from people was 1st time at the rail and went crazy how close was to the band..
    I was at the rail in front of mike. It was safe. The only PJ GA show I went to that I didnt feel safe at was the Outsidelands Festival in San Fran in 09. They didnt have a good barier system like the did at Philly spereating the front from the back. So crowd surges were pushing me all around the place and at one point in time pinned me against the railing. but i never felt like i was gonna die, just that i wasnt in control of where i was going
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • Options
    I was at the rail in front of mike. It was safe. The only PJ GA show I went to that I didnt feel safe at was the Outsidelands Festival in San Fran in 09. They didnt have a good barier system like the did at Philly spereating the front from the back. So crowd surges were pushing me all around the place and at one point in time pinned me against the railing. but i never felt like i was gonna die, just that i wasnt in control of where i was going
    i understand..once again,the barrier between sections are very important..
  • Options
    the lottery sucks
  • Options
    i understand what you say..and i agree with you..if isnt safe,i dont want it too..
    but as far as i see..cos i did both GA and Seated at PJ show,isnt unsafe at GA...
    10clubbers especially watch out eachother.at Europe we didnt let anyone even to think that could rule the rest friends their night..
    .and the big asshole at Berlin everyone talking was kinda unsafe,was a Canadian that push and want to do surfing at the songs..

Thanks Dimitris. I agree the ten clubbers do (for the most part) watch out for each other. It's not them that I am referencing when I'm talking about the minority who ruin it for everyone. I noticed that Manchester night 2 there was times when the whole crowd was swaying because it was so tightly packed and then there is the surge.

I just don't think it's right that someone with a bad back for example can never have a chance to drink Ed's wine or catch a guitar pick because they can't stand up for a long period of time.
    This is why I am saying SOME GA shows are ok but I don't think ALL their shows need to be that way.

Everyone has the chance at some point to be up close (in theory).

Sitting in the wings is not the same as being close one the floor. Just sayin.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I've never been to a PJ show. Missoula will be my first, and I'm very happy it's GA floor! But I have seen about a million videos of PJ shows, and the seated ones look fun, but the GA shows look like way MORE fun and more high energy. Also, have you seen the footage from the 2011 Vancouver show?? Horrible low energy in front of the stage. Ed actually spazzed out about it. Vancouver is a bad place for seated shows - we need GA in my city, that's for sure! And from what I can tell, all of the GA shows look higher energy. I know you have to be there... but you can tell by just watching a crowd.

But I will admit some. Cities shouldn't have them. Different cities have different vibes. I think Vancouver and Seattle would be better serves with GA. Perhaps it's too much for Berlin and other specific cities. But I find it very hard to believe that GA at PJ is that out of control for the most part. I would never be that bothered by a few dick heads.

I have friends who absolutely feel the same as you, and I've discussed it with them... the conclusion is that they have just mellowed out as they've gotten older. In my opinion, that is a very poor reason for GA to be done away with. I hope PJ at least .fixes it up a bit more, and has GA at some of their shows (especially Vancouver!) - something for everybody.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,800
    I can hack and enjoy it, show bud would not
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    Please don't flame me for this but..

I don't get why we have non GA shows in the states, but in Europe we do. It was not the US but Denmark where the tragedy happened and people lost their lives...
    Yet I go to Copenhagen and the show is at a place that seemed so dangerous I was shocked pj would play there.

Why is it do you guys think that the US shows gets seats where no one has been hurt, but in Europe where it's happened before they still allow GA shows..

Just an honest observation and I was curious as to others opinions on this.

I'm down for either way. The seats in the states work good for10c seniority... But the crowds in Europe were amazing with the GA crowds.. So I'm really undecided here.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Because the fun should be in front of the stage. Helps the band with their energy too.

Seriously, I can hardly believe some of what I'm reading in this thread. :fp: Talk about a fanbase getting outrageously old and lame. Sorry, don't want to insulting, but it's the only way I know how to say it.

Some of the old/lame fans have seniority that gets them in the first 4 rows, so of course they don't want to lose that perk!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Some of the old/lame fans have seniority that gets them in the first 4 rows, so of course they don't want to lose that perk!
    Oh yeah, good point!! Even more reason for GA then. The seniority thing is dumb. If that keeps happening, pretty soon any seated show is just going to be a bunch of old people sitting there clapping while anyone who joined 10c after 2003 won't ever get a decent seat for as long as the band keeps playing. It's crazy. If PJ wants to keep entertaining diverse age groups or even maintaining their under-40s fans at shows, not to mention attracting new fans, they're going to have to drop that seniority seating crap. Plus, that the same people keep getting the best seats over and over and over again while everyone else gets screwed forever seems super unfair. I think they should go lottery all the way, for seating and tix, if they aren't going to do GA.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

First 2 rows are lottery, then the next 5 rows are PJ 'Friends/Family', after that seniority (or something like that-somebody help me out)I was front row in Edmonton, and loved every moment! People still tried to get up front, and my ticket buddy told security, and he got kicked out.
    smanchac1 wrote:

Why is it do you guys think that the US shows gets seats where no one has been hurt, but in Europe where it's happened before they still allow GA shows..

Just an honest observation and I was curious as to others opinions on this.

this video is why...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQGgfTbbZ8s
    not my video, but I am prepared for this in Missoula. I was in the balcony, and from that viewpoint, I'm glad I wasn't on the floor. The crowd was a huge surge of spinning people. It was crazy.

I've been in the pit at several shows, some where they don't pick you up, some where I got kicked, some where I got dropped from surfing, one where I was being crushed against the rail, about to pass out, and the bouncer had to pull me out. People still get hurt at GA shows...it just really depends on the crowd.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I've never been to a PJ show. Missoula will be my first, and I'm very happy it's GA floor! But I have seen about a million videos of PJ shows, and the seated ones look fun, but the GA shows look like way MORE fun and more high energy. Also, have you seen the footage from the 2011 Vancouver show?? Horrible low energy in front of the stage. Ed actually spazzed out about it. Vancouver is a bad place for seated shows - we need GA in my city, that's for sure! And from what I can tell, all of the GA shows look higher energy. I know you have to be there... but you can tell by just watching a crowd.

But I will admit some. Cities shouldn't have them. Different cities have different vibes. I think Vancouver and Seattle would be better serves with GA. Perhaps it's too much for Berlin and other specific cities. But I find it very hard to believe that GA at PJ is that out of control for the most part. I would never be that bothered by a few dick heads.

I have friends who absolutely feel the same as you, and I've discussed it with them... the conclusion is that they have just mellowed out as they've gotten older. In my opinion, that is a very poor reason for GA to be done away with. I hope PJ at least .fixes it up a bit more, and has GA at some of their shows (especially Vancouver!) - something for everybody.

you're right in that you have to be there. yet you haven't been...kinda makes your opinion :thumbdown:

seen PJ in Vancouver numerous times and more often in Seattle. really hope shows there remain senority seating.

the concerts @ Rogers arena always had good energy. while i enjoyed the last show at Pacific Coliseum...it's not a good venue for concerts. had there been a GA pit it wouldn't have improved anything. along with the few seemingly asleep in the front center...did you also hear about the jerks (at least one i witnessed) up front that security had to yank over the rails and toss out? sometimes there's some unenthusiasticly lame up front... just as there's always a few asshats that want to wreck the experience for everyone else. :nono:

alot of ppl can't risk getting bumped, squished or injured by the asshats that want to slam themselves around in ga...why should they have to be further back? there's nothing to stop ppl from dancing in front of their seat...the fact seating minimizes the potential of anyone hurting others is reason enough to keep venues seated...

i like the idea for ppl wanting ga to have it set up at the back of the floor
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~