Options

**Pittsburgh Fanviews Here**

13»

Comments

• Options
    JDMJDM Posts: 9
    zolstice wrote:
    Know what makes me sick. The stones have arguably one of the largest catalogues of top notch songs to draw from, they definitely eclipse Pearl Jamin that regard. They charge upwards of $400 per ticket (and minimum of what was it, $60 for nosebleeds in a 40,000 seat arena) and they only do 21 songs, with the encore being just 1 song.

That is why I will never go to a stones concert.

Well, Pittsburgh has a city ordinace where shows have to stop at 11:00pm and the show ended at 10:59. JD
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    JDM wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and saw Pearl Jam for the first time last night in Pittsburgh. Eddie actually spilled some of his red wine on me in the third row. He looked like he was feeling pretty good. Not being a Pearl Jam expert, does he drink during all his performances? And if you think $50 is bad for a ticket. The Stones are playing Sunrise Florida in March and all but the raffter seats are $400+. I come to know Pearl Jam as I'm a huge Who fan and as you all know theres a good relationship with Eddie and the band. I really enjoyed PJs performance even if it leaned a bit on hits. I would really like to see a complete show. Will they be touring in Ohio soon? Thanks in advance and I look forward to making some new friends here. JD

Ha - it didn't look like he 'spilled' his wine - it looked like he was anointing you guys the way he was flinging it at people out of the bottle. Yeah he drinks out of a bottle of wine like that at all the shows I've seen (14). Everyone's hoping they'll do US tour next year, after the album comes out, and I'd guess it would almost certainly include Ohio based on past history.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    aren't they always wireless?- unless you mean ed had a wireless mic
    it was ed & jeff
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    We were right behind the visitor's dugout (what a riot when people started to dance on the dugout and security went out of their minds). It was a bit far back to see the performance (except when the stage rolled out) but was a great vantage point to see the Stones bigger-than-life show.

PJ were awesome, they sounded so tight. Daughter was funny when it just petered out at the end, I swear they were all looking at each other trying to figure out how to end it with no tag. It was certainly the hit-parade but that was what was expected.

The Stones were amazing to see live. I heard they cart that stage around in 50 semis (PJ uses 5?), that it takes a week to build and two days to tear down, that they have two stages (one for stadium and one for indoors) that alternate, that the crews work 24-hours-a-day on construction. I have never seen anything like it. (I heard on-stage tickets sold for $20,000 for ten? Maybe 200 people there? That's $400,000?)

It's a double-edged sword. You end up watching the big screen a lot because it's so compelling, but that little voice in the back of your head says "stop, you're just watching TV!" so you look around the stadium a bit but are always drawn back to the big screen...

I'd never seen the Stones and was impressed. The sound wasn't perfect but the energy and showmanship were tops. Jagger is just riveting, a 60-year-old that moves and acts like a 16-year-old. I can remember dancing to Jumping Jack Flash in 1974, so the Stones have been a constant on the sound track of my life. Great fun to see them in person.

The weather was awesome, short sleeves (or painted top) all night. Woke up the morning to rain and wind...
  • Options
    I think I was in the next section to you (19) - were you in section 18? I don't know my way around a baseball field, but I am told we were behind home plate, and security was certainly going crazy with all the people in the next section, up on this platform thing dancing. Then one guy threw water or beer on a security person, and it looked like they went looking for him. Then a (it looked like) cop was holding some kind of gun. Our section, except for us, sat down.
  • Options
    I got back from Pittsburgh earlier today. I am still in awe of what I saw. I expected Pearl Jam to pretty much just play hits and the fact that they did didn't bother me. It was awesome, they played with a lot of energy. I was blown away by the Stones, I had never seen them before but am a huge fan and they did not disappoint. To me the biggest highlight, besides the perfect weather and scenery and nothing but amazing tunes, was Eddie coming out for "Wild Horses", it was amazing. I am not going to bitch about ticket prices at all, it was worth every dime (Not to mention we paid upper deck seats but were able to sneak in up closer).
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    Had a blast! No poster, but the city specific shirt is pretty cool! My wife and I each scored one. They were selling them on the street outside the venue- You didn't have to go to the show to buy one... I'm sure you'll see them on ebay soon if not there already!

"Save You" was the best! I was the only person in my section jamming the entire 60 minutes! A seasoned gentleman next to me asked how I knew all the guitar parts to the PJ songs! His wife was very impressed with PJ and asked about their albums and which she should buy first! Made my day! The performance converted a 13 year old kid into a PJ fan next to us- He went and bought the Greatest Hits poster after they were done.

The Stones are not my thing but I have most respect for them.
    Now I can say been there, done that.

It was awesome to see the "Faithful" out jamming in their sections all over the stadium! Props to all!

hey, that's a pretty cool story.

still weird to think of pearl jam as an opening band.
  • Options
    swedeswede Posts: 558
    We were right behind the visitor's dugout (what a riot when people started to dance on the dugout and security went out of their minds). It was a bit far back to see the performance (except when the stage rolled out) but was a great vantage point to see the Stones bigger-than-life show.

PJ were awesome, they sounded so tight. Daughter was funny when it just petered out at the end, I swear they were all looking at each other trying to figure out how to end it with no tag. It was certainly the hit-parade but that was what was expected.

The Stones were amazing to see live. I heard they cart that stage around in 50 semis (PJ uses 5?), that it takes a week to build and two days to tear down, that they have two stages (one for stadium and one for indoors) that alternate, that the crews work 24-hours-a-day on construction. I have never seen anything like it. (I heard on-stage tickets sold for $20,000 for ten? Maybe 200 people there? That's $400,000?)

It's a double-edged sword. You end up watching the big screen a lot because it's so compelling, but that little voice in the back of your head says "stop, you're just watching TV!" so you look around the stadium a bit but are always drawn back to the big screen...

I'd never seen the Stones and was impressed. The sound wasn't perfect but the energy and showmanship were tops. Jagger is just riveting, a 60-year-old that moves and acts like a 16-year-old. I can remember dancing to Jumping Jack Flash in 1974, so the Stones have been a constant on the sound track of my life. Great fun to see them in person.

The weather was awesome, short sleeves (or painted top) all night. Woke up the morning to rain and wind...

lol ur daughter comments made me laugh :)

oh how i dream to see the stones... seeing them with pearl jam as a opening act... deary me :( so jealous! would love to go to the metallica gigs also!
  • Options
    swedeswede Posts: 558
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    hey, that's a pretty cool story.

still weird to think of pearl jam as an opening band.

they opened for the stones in 97 i think it was as well?

it would be awesome to see, knowing uve seen them and ur still in for the mass treat afterwards... ahhh what bliss it would be!!!
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    I think I was in the next section to you (19) - were you in section 18?

We were in section 20 (edit: doh! actually section 21), so yes, next to you. I saw the guy getting carted off by the cops; I didn't see what he did but he looked pretty blasted to me.

Suprising amount of smoke rolling around (quite a bit from your section); reminded me of my younger concert-going days, or any recent show in Canada...
  • Options
    I thought it was a great show. Pearl Jam pretty much played what I thought they would. My husband and I had a discussion beforehand and I knew I would be stuck hearing Last Kiss. It was ok though because I thought the older crowd there would enjoy it and they seemed to.

We were up in the nose bleed seats but I didn't mind it. The big screens made up for what I couldn't see good with my binoculars. It was fun to look out at the crowd with the binoculars and spotting fellow PJ fans.

We were surrounded mostly by other Pearl Jam fans with some older Stones fans in between. Most of my section was standing for the whole PJ set but not for the Stones set. The Rolling Stones weren't bad either but I know that I would never have gone to the show if Pearl Jam wasn't opening. I did appreciated the theatrics and the pyrotechnics since you don't get that sort of thing at a Pearl Jam show. I sometimes wish that Pearl Jam would invest in extra laser lights or some screens like Phish used to have. But I digress.

I had a really good time. I got to hear pretty much everything I wanted to hear the Stones play live. The ride on the clipper ships to and from the show was fun too. I haven't done that in a long time since I hadn't been to a baseball game since Three Rivers was torn down. My husband had never been on one so it was cool for him too. I think he likes the skyline at night as much as I do. All and all it was a good time and I was glad that I got to go there. Thanks Pearl Jam for another once in a lifetime experience!
    The reason the main stream is thought of as a stream is because it's so shallow. -George Carlin-
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    I think I was in the next section to you (19) - were you in section 18? I don't know my way around a baseball field, but I am told we were behind home plate, and security was certainly going crazy with all the people in the next section, up on this platform thing dancing. Then one guy threw water or beer on a security person, and it looked like they went looking for him. Then a (it looked like) cop was holding some kind of gun. Our section, except for us, sat down.

I was in section 19 also, row J.
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I can't believe people bitch and moan about Pearl Jam set lists leangths with a $50 ticket price.....but holy hell....the Stones fans get raped....how much were there tickets and they only play a 21 song setlist??? And I bet the Stones setlist is the same exact show in every city they go to.

That review was awesome about PJ......it's good to hear they were really well received by the Stones fans. Sounds like PJ put on a great opening show.

the stones show i saw a week ago had pretty much the same setlist and i paid $60 for nose bleed seats. beck opened that show.

bottomline is if you paid $60, like me, you definitely got your money's worth. if you paid $450 for your seat you got ripped off, imho. besides who needs to sit up close and see all those wrinkles on Keith and Mick...LOL

oh ya...new stones cd is good !
  • Options
    I was in section 19 also, row J.

Cool! Were you the guy rockin' in the black shirt? (We were row J as well) I had on the blue shirt from the current tour.
  • Options
    Here is my review a day later, but the glow from that concert is still here. Being from Pittsburgh, it was an incredible show. I agree with everyone, that said it was the best they have ever been. They definelty rose to the occassion. It has been really great talking to Stones fans here in Pittsburgh that were completely blown away by Pj. I think they truely won over about 20,000 new fans. I also think it was the best version of Jeremy, Black, and Evenflow I have ever heard. I think the moment that won over the Stones crowd was when Mike played the Evenflow solo behind his head which was truely amazing. It was an amazing night and it was the first time I had ever seen the Stones, which blew me away! But, the highlight was Wild Horses which was great! Great Night!
  • Options
    NicheNiche Posts: 16
    First of all im new to the board. Wendesday night's show was incredible. Ive always been a fan of pj but never been able to see them in person. The band really seemed into it and fed off of eddie's very good mood. I have a feeling that is something that matters with this band. Ive never seen an opening act cheered for like pj was. Any act that opens for the stones are notoriously known for getting harassed and booed. After reading the list of opening act that they have booked for this tour i can see why. Pj was welcomed from the moment eddie took the stage carrying a bottle of red wine (how cool is that!). i just wish i wouldve bought one of those awesome pj pittsburgh shirts, but i was low on cash. Now all i need to do stock up on more pj listening material...
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
    igotid_8 wrote:
    Got a $165 ticket scalped for $80. I was on the floor. Walking around, saw some guy I know in the $450 seats - dead center. Started talking to him and stayed there for PJ. Pretty lucky night.

The Stones fans I talked to were blown away by PJ. They were very impressed. Sure, the set list was standard (except for Gimmie Some Truth and Last Kiss), but they sounded excellent. It was a tight set list, well played and they killed out there!

This was my 8th time seeing PJ and my 5th time seeing the Stones. The Stones are already boring to me - I just realized it tonight. They are stuck playing the huge hits (Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, et al.) which has made their shows pretty dull, in my humble opinion. "Night Time is the Right Time" was the highlight - great Ray Charles cover.

I have all the Stones albums and I love them, but the Stones got served tonight.

ka looo less apples to oranges
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    Any word on this show being offered to download? Thanks in advance. JD
  • Options
    Niche wrote:
    First of all im new to the board. Wendesday night's show was incredible. Ive always been a fan of pj but never been able to see them in person. The band really seemed into it and fed off of eddie's very good mood. I have a feeling that is something that matters with this band. Ive never seen an opening act cheered for like pj was. Any act that opens for the stones are notoriously known for getting harassed and booed. After reading the list of opening act that they have booked for this tour i can see why. Pj was welcomed from the moment eddie took the stage carrying a bottle of red wine (how cool is that!). i just wish i wouldve bought one of those awesome pj pittsburgh shirts, but i was low on cash. Now all i need to do stock up on more pj listening material...

Oh yes! You definitely need to stock up! ;) I was at the show too and PJ really did knock the socks off those Stones fans. It was impressive and a great time to be had by all.

Welcome to the board!
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • Options
    it is so amazing to be able to read about all the other experiences in Pittsburgh just like mine! It was my first Stones concert and probably my 10th Pearl Jam one and I predict Pearl Jam will be as memorable to everyone as the Stones were. A perfect night in Pittsburgh.
  • Options
    Jerram wrote:
    Will that video work on quicktime?

Yes it will. Its an AVI file.
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    Cool! Were you the guy rockin' in the black shirt? (We were row J as well) I had on the blue shirt from the current tour.

Yes I was. You were rockin' hard too!
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    It's ironic that this show will not be sold as a bootleg when the PJ shirt from the show has the logo that is on the bootleg site.
  • Options
    yeah i thought about that logo thing too. Maybe it has something to do with the new album name or cover? Do they usually use the album logo for the tour logo? But the tour is also not supporting the new album, so ill just shut the hell up! sorry for thinkin out loud
  • Options
    Im selling my Pearl Jam/Rolling Stones Pittsburgh shirt. Its an XL never worn, perfect condition. The pictures are:

FRONT: http://www.tokyoheights.com/images/Pictures%20of%20my%20trip/America/Pittsburgh/videos/PJshirtFRONT.jpg

BACK: http://www.tokyoheights.com/images/Pictures%20of%20my%20trip/America/Pittsburgh/videos/PJshirtBACK.jpg

Any takers? You make the offer amount cause I really don't know what this stuff goes for. I'm not saying I will accept any offer thats given, just that I don't really know wha its worth. See it as a silent auction ;)

I accept paypal and have 98.7% positive feedback on ebay. email me at reykjavik at gee male dot comm

Thanks!
  • Options
    reykjavik wrote:
    Im selling my Pearl Jam/Rolling Stones Pittsburgh shirt. Its an XL never worn, perfect condition. The pictures are:

FRONT: http://www.tokyoheights.com/images/Pictures%20of%20my%20trip/America/Pittsburgh/videos/PJshirtFRONT.jpg

BACK: http://www.tokyoheights.com/images/Pictures%20of%20my%20trip/America/Pittsburgh/videos/PJshirtBACK.jpg

Any takers? You make the offer amount cause I really don't know what this stuff goes for. I'm not saying I will accept any offer thats given, just that I don't really know wha its worth. See it as a silent auction ;)

I accept paypal and have 98.7% positive feedback on ebay. email me at reykjavik at gee male dot comm

Thanks!

I'll take it!!

I missed one at the show, due to low amounts of cash, but I got it now. Email sent.
    Oh help me, help me from myself!!!

Theres not going to be an accoustic version of Blood or anything like that, so feel free to sit down.
  • Options
    Another shirt is posted on EBay now -Item number: 7550577355. JD
  • Options
    reykjavik wrote:

Thanks!

Decided against private selling. I posted it on ebay for anyone interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7551698815
  • Options
    shekkieshekkie Posts: 79
    So I was lucky enough to get in to see the Stones soundcheck, and not many people were there. I see Mike walking over to some people about 20-25 rows back watching soundcheck, it was the rest of the band. As any other die-hard Pearl Jam fan would be, I'm trembling. Not 20-30 yards away is Pearl Jam, with my heart pounding out of my chest I wait till sound check is over. I see Eddie walking back stage, I say " whats up Ed" as if he met me before, he says whats up. So i welcome him to Pittsburgh and Tell him if he's gonna be in the burgh he gotta represent the burgh, so I give him the Casey Hampton jersey off my back. A little surprised he asks me if I'm actually giving him the shirt off my back, and instantly looks for something to give me, he gives me a guitar pic, initials and everything on it. I also ask him to sign my t-shirt i had on, he obliges and signs it to my brother as requested cause he couldn't get in. I couldn't believe he was so down to earth, and cool as hell. I actually saw them after the show during the Stones set and got to hang out with them for about 30-45 mins watching the show. I couldn't believe the security wasn't turning me away, I watched them turn everyone else away, I was standing right in the middle of them. That may be the best day I ever live. I guess dreams can come true.-Rock on PJ
    9/24/96 8/25/98 9/5/00 4/25/03 4/26/03 10/2/04 9/28/05 5/20/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 5/30/06 6/23/06 6/24/06 8/2/07 8/5/07 6/22/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09 10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/4/10 5/9/10 10/11/13
  • Options
    shekkie wrote:
    So I was lucky enough to get in to see the Stones soundcheck, and not many people were there. I see Mike walking over to some people about 20-25 rows back watching soundcheck, it was the rest of the band. As any other die-hard Pearl Jam fan would be, I'm trembling. Not 20-30 yards away is Pearl Jam, with my heart pounding out of my chest I wait till sound check is over. I see Eddie walking back stage, I say " whats up Ed" as if he met me before, he says whats up. So i welcome him to Pittsburgh and Tell him if he's gonna be in the burgh he gotta represent the burgh, so I give him the Casey Hampton jersey off my back. A little surprised he asks me if I'm actually giving him the shirt off my back, and instantly looks for something to give me, he gives me a guitar pic, initials and everything on it. I also ask him to sign my t-shirt i had on, he obliges and signs it to my brother as requested cause he couldn't get in. I couldn't believe he was so down to earth, and cool as hell. I actually saw them after the show during the Stones set and got to hang out with them for about 30-45 mins watching the show. I couldn't believe the security wasn't turning me away, I watched them turn everyone else away, I was standing right in the middle of them. That may be the best day I ever live. I guess dreams can come true.-Rock on PJ

How did you get backstage?