Options

**Pittsburgh Fanviews Here**

Comments

• Options
    That was probably the best show i have even seen. Pearl Jam def did their job, they got the crowd fired up for the stones. Anyone who went into the show just liking the stones and not pearl jam, left a pearl jam fan. Almost everyone around me was there to see the Stones and i was the only one standing up and jumping around, but about half way through PJ's set almost everyone around me was going nuts. Evenflow was the best i have heard it in a while, especially with Mikey doing his thing. Jeremy was amazing, i know it has been overplayed but i don't think Ed has sang it that well in years. Given to Fly is soo much better with Matt on the drums. They opened with Go and i was getting water at the time, and i heard the opening bars and this old lady pouring my drinks was so damn slow, i was yelling at her to hurry the hell up and finally just threw the money at her and ran back to my seat spilling half the water. By the time they ended with Rockin in the Free Wrold the whole place was on it's feet. Amazing show by PJ, not ur average opener. THe Stones were pretty damn good themselves, i didn't expect as much as i got from those old guys. Eddie singing on Wild Horses was somthin that will never be seen again. The news this morning said that Mick has not had anyone sing with him in years, so that just says alot about the Stones respect for Pearl Jam. Other stones highlights were Sympathy for the Devil, The night time is the right time-Ray Charles cover, Miss You, Jumpin Jack Flash, The new one Rough Justice-its pretty damn good, and of course Satisfaction and Brown Sugar. Excelent show well worth the money.
    "Being undecided...it's dangerous. And I'll give you a perfect example: people with mullets, that's indecision."-EV

9/28/05-PNC
    5/30/06-DC
    6/23/06-Pittsburgh
  • Options
    That was honestly the greatest set I've ever seen Pearl Jam play.

on an unrelated note, they sold out of PJ shirts. Anyone have any ideas on where I can get one? I'd really like a Pittsburgh one, but I'll settle for anything at this point.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    there wasn't a pittsburgh one
    tattooedeverything.com
    SEND IN YOUR PEARL JAM TATTOOS
    updated 01/28/2008
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 382

I'm confused. I never saw any PJ shirts for sale, much less one specifically for the show which would have been great. If anyone has a large or x-tra large they'd like to unload, e-mail me.
  • Options
    Mercury wrote:
    I'm confused. I never saw any PJ shirts for sale, much less one specifically for the show which would have been great. If anyone has a large or x-tra large they'd like to unload, e-mail me.

There was a black PJ shirt for sale. It has gold lettering. It has that bird logo on it, same as the one on the bootleg download site.
    State College 5/3/03, Hershey 7/12/03, Reading 10/1/04, Kitchener 9/11/05, Ottawa 9/16/05, Pittsburgh 9/28/05, Hartford 5/13/06, Camden 5/27/06, Camden II 5/28/06, E. Rutherford 6/1/06, E. Rutherford II 6/3/06, Munich 6/12/07, Katowice 6/13/07, London 6/18/07, DC 6/22/08 - EV DC 8/16/08
  • Options
    I got a black pearl jam pittsburgh t-shirt. There was also one that had (i think) just the u.s. shows (Gorge, Pittsburgh, Philly, AC) listed on it.
    3-29-94-FL/9-24-96-MD/9-18-98-MD/9-05-00-PA/4-26-03-PA/5-03-03-PA/7-12-03-PA/10-1-04-PA/9-19-05-ON/9-28-05-PA/5-09-06-ON/5-10-06-ON/6-23-06-PA/6-19-08-NJ/10-28-09-PA/5-20-10-NY/5-21-10-NY/9-11-11-ON/9-12-11-ON/9-2-12-PA/9-22-12-GA/10-11-13-PA/10-18-13-NY/10-19-13-NY/10-16-14-MI/9-26-15-NY/4-9-16-FL/4-11-16-FL/8-8-18-WA/8-10-18-WA
  • Options

hmmm... I was at the merch stands at 5pm (outside)... and at a couple inside the park and didn't see any black ones :(
    tattooedeverything.com
    SEND IN YOUR PEARL JAM TATTOOS
    updated 01/28/2008
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    There were definitely PJ shirts there, and I am so pissed I didnt get one. They sold out of the Pearl Jam ones that said Pittsburgh 9/28/05. Is there any way to get one? I got one of the Stones ones that said 9/28/05 which is sweet. I got my girlfriend the bluish green Pearl Jam shirt that was there.

My father and I traveled from Connecticut to see the show. He is a huge Stones fan and I am a huge fan of both bands. We were in the 6th row on the floor in section 2. It was the most amazing concert experience ever. My father paid only 99 dollars a seat, off of tickets.com. I made my father listen to PJ before the shows. He liked the material and was amazed by their performance. He thought Mike was amazing. We were both confused by the bass Jeff played when they played Jeremy, anyone know what kind it was? It looked like a 12 string bass, which I have never heard of. But anyways, amazing show by both bands, it was by far the greatest concert I have ever seen.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    I really hope someone taped this.

anyone have any pics?
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    lephtylephty Posts: 770
    just got out of my car after the 6.5 hour drive back to NY!

This was all quite an experience. I got the tickets for my dad for fathers day since he always wanted to see the Stones. He was all excited and as crazy as a 69 yr old can get.

Went to Hi-Tops outside that had a radio station that seemed to favor Pearl Jam over stones but i think it was more the genre the station played. Lotsa PJ fans were there too. Almost seemed split between PJ and Stones shirts walking around.

Got out of the bar and headed for the line that was forming at the left field entrance. Got to hear the Stones play Off My Cloud and Wild Horses and one other song as a warm up which was pretty cool.

Finally got in a lil before 6 (was supposed to be 530) and headed for the shirt stands where to my dissapointment there was NOTHING that said Stones/PJ on it. Really wanted a poster too that i could frame up with the ticket. So i got the cool Pearl Jam/Pittsburg shirt and headed for the seat.

Met some cool lady near our seats that was talking lots about pearl jam. She predicted there set list of there popular songs which i was hoping it wouldnt be but it was =(

They still rocked though. Betterman was freaking awesome, RITFW kicked ass. Daughter was cut off at the shades go down part which was dissappointing. They did play alot of songs in an hour which was really cool.

Stones came out and continued rocking the place with there theatrics. E.V coming out during Wild Horses was REAL awesome. Night Time is the Right time was REALLY well done.

Can't think of anything else... rest of the night was sleeping anyways=p

Would i do it again?... Yes if it was not so far away. Pearl Jam opening for another band is not the usual PJ setlist=\

ALMOST FORGOT THE PAINTED BOOBS IN THE FRONT ROW OMG!
  • Options
    lephty wrote:

That was quite akward, being that I was there with my mom and all.

I'm surprised there isnt a thread about that lady on here yet.
  • Options
    EzykEzyk Posts: 2
    As an Aussie travelling through the U.S who flew down from Maine for this show I have to say it was well-worth the trip...

Hadn't seen the Stones before - unless you want to pay to watch ants performing in the distance it's pretty much near impossible to fin a half decent ticket for them on a tour to Australia, and though I probably wouldn't go again thought they did a great job.

All in all the PJ show was just fantastic though, and a tough act to follow, even for the Stones, who obviously benefited from a massive production of bells, whistles (and some shooting flames!) that was absent (and not needed in the slightest) for Ed and company ...

Would love to see any photos someone might have?

And anyone know if there any official PJ bootlegs planned for this gig perhaps?

E
  • Options
    Ezyk wrote:

And anyone know if there any official PJ bootlegs planned for this gig perhaps?

E

this would really make one hell of a bootleg. Kat? Sea? any plans on releasing this?
  • Options
    TeddyledbetterTeddyledbetter Seattle, WA Posts: 473
    Had a blast! No poster, but the city specific shirt is pretty cool! My wife and I each scored one. They were selling them on the street outside the venue- You didn't have to go to the show to buy one... I'm sure you'll see them on ebay soon if not there already!

"Save You" was the best! I was the only person in my section jamming the entire 60 minutes! A seasoned gentleman next to me asked how I knew all the guitar parts to the PJ songs! His wife was very impressed with PJ and asked about their albums and which she should buy first! Made my day! The performance converted a 13 year old kid into a PJ fan next to us- He went and bought the Greatest Hits poster after they were done.

The Stones are not my thing but I have most respect for them.
    Now I can say been there, done that.

It was awesome to see the "Faithful" out jamming in their sections all over the stadium! Props to all!
  • Options
    MFCMFC Posts: 13
    did Mike wear that Stones shirt that was traded at a canadian show?
    Bic lighter = $1.79
    Cigarettes = $6.00
    Pearl Jam tickets = $60
    12 beers for you and your buddy = $60
    gut punched and ejected from a Pearl Jam concert by Rent-a-Cop security for smoking = priceless!"

--"Shit , i said fuck" - Eddie Vedder 2005
    - CanCon rips everyone off look out
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,659
    His wife was very impressed with PJ and asked about their albums and which she should buy first!

so which one did U suggest?
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    this would really make one hell of a bootleg. Kat? Sea? any plans on releasing this?

agreed, the sooner the better so i can listen to something at work.
  • Options
    I got great seats to the PJ show in Pittsburgh and got to see Eddie sing Wild Horses with Mick. It was great. After he got there and started singing I wipped out my camera and started video recording it. I had been yelled at twice by security for phtographing so I was paranoid about being cought and having my cam taken away which is why sometimes the shot pans away. However, except for the first few lines the entire song is on my site for downloading, feel free to download a video (with actually pretty decent audio quality) of Eddie Vedder and Mick Jagger singing Wild Horses.

PJ Vid: http://www.tokyoheights.com/images/Pictures%20of%20my%20trip/America/Pittsburgh/videos/eddieandmick.AVI

I also have pictures of the shirt that was sold for all those asking:

shirt:
    FRONT:
    http://www.tokyoheights.com/images/Pictures%20of%20my%20trip/America/Pittsburgh/videos/PJshirtFRONT.jpg

BACK: http://www.tokyoheights.com/images/Pictures%20of%20my%20trip/America/Pittsburgh/videos/PJshirtBACK.jpg
  • Options
    igotid_8igotid_8 Cleveland, Ohio Posts: 497
    I was so happy to get one of the shirts - they are most cool. But when I tried it on this morning, it was a little too small. I normally get larges, so I didn't think it would be a problem.

If anyone has an XL of the black Pittsburgh shirt and wants a large, pm me!

If I knew how to post pictures, I would. It's a sharp shirt.
    2000 Columbus, Pittsburgh
    2003 Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Columbus
    2004 Toledo
    2005 Hamilton, Pittsburgh
    2006 Cleveland, Auburn Hills, Pittsburgh
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Cleveland
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Detroit
    2016 Tampa, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2018 Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2022 Hamilton
    2023 Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Austin 1, Austin 2
  • Options
    I went. We had second-to-last-row, in the very top section on the first base side. I was underwhelmed with the setlist, but PJ's energy was definitely on. Animal was great, and the inclusion of Save You was good. Rockin' in the Free World kicked ass; it made the show in my humble opinion. When you consider the circumstances, the fact they played only what you'd hear on the radio makes sense. They played toward the crowd, but it was still a good time. They played great, as much as could've been hoped for.
    "Shut the fuck up, Donnie."

"I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart."

• Options
    Will that video work on quicktime?
    "I wish I were a messenger and all the news was good" - E.V.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Nope. Ed always uses a mic with a cord, and they all play guitars hooked directly to their amps.
    That would have been sweet to see!!

Yeah, Mike uses wireless. Check TB2000. He runs his ass all the way around the stage at one point. And in Calgary I noticed it as well.
  • Options
    yup....

ok
    "I wish I were a messenger and all the news was good" - E.V.
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    WHAT A DAY AND NIGHT!!!! Thought I might be leaving too much time to kill by arrived at PNC Park at 11:00, but needed every second. Had a blast meeting many fellow Jammers and Stones fans outside the stadium and at Firewaters and Hi-Tops.Hearing the Stones sound check was a blast; especially when one of the guys working merch said he'd seen Ed,Stone, and Jeff go onstage to play with The Stones. One song , a very long jam which contained bits of Midnight Rambler and,the veteran Stones fan next to me said, guitar parts of "You Can't Always Get What you Want", reportedly included our lads.I did see Ed, Stone, Jeff, Mike, and Boom walking back and forth between stage and grub so this report sounds plausible. This, a hug from a BEAUTIFUL blonde just for pointing Ed out as he walked from the stage to the grub feast building, and Mike's comments to two ladies standing next to me by the leftfield side gate ,that the timetable was basically useless(PJ on at 6:30? Yeah right!) and about how cool it was to watch The Stones up close ,were priceless .

Last, watching an endless stream of security pour out of said grub building was like watching a clown car empty.

When our heroes took the stage about 7, a day that was already a 15 on a 1-10 scale went off the Richter Scale.The lads were en fuego from the first notes of "Go" to the last notes of "RITFW". It was an hour I didn't want to end. What started with just a few Jammers on their feet in my section,1(row M, seat 5) ended with many, many more fans on their feet.Even Flow ,Alive, Black , Go, and Jeremy in the span of about 45 minutes...DAMN!!! " Gimme Some Truth" ? Double damn and totally unexpected. INCREDIBLE!!

I can't cop to being a huge Stones fan, more a casual one, but their show was one I'll remember forever. Great setlist. Great showmanship. Great energy. And a "Wild Horses " for the ages. "The aforesaid " Nighttime ..." was my second favorite song .

Nice Black and yellow date specific PJ shirt also. Hope they'll be available for Jammers not at the show .

Can't wait for AC 1 and 2, Philly, and Chi-town. This last month or 5 weeks has been...words fail me.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Any one have one of the PJ shirts for sale or anything? I really want one, they were sold out when I went to get one in between sets. I got a Stones one after the show but they were sold out of the Pearl Jam ones.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    Kraven wrote:
    Any one have one of the PJ shirts for sale or anything? I really want one, they were sold out when I went to get one in between sets. I got a Stones one after the show but they were sold out of the Pearl Jam ones.

ME TOO! - All they had left when I got there was ONE medium green PJ shirt. I took it, but its wayyy to small. I look so emo in it. I'd love a black and yellow Pittsburgh shirt. They should put a few up for sale on the ten club site. We're in need of some new shirts.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I'm posting mine, THEN I'll read the others. I have to say going to this show increased my love for Pearl Jam, if that is possible. They OWNED. They are so unprententious, and it is completely fucking about the music and do they rock, and are we Pearl Jam fans ever spoiled - we take for granted what we get, but its not something all bands give. Busting out with Go and giving the unsuspecting a jolt right at the beginning. Corduroy. GIMME SOME TRUTH. Yes! Great choice, and one I wouldn't have guessed they'd do. The band had great energy, and I bet they were really pumped to be playing in this situation. I, my friend, and one other guy standing a few seats down seemed to be the only ones standing in our section, but we let loose singing along and cheering just as if we were at a regular show. It felt so great to be there and represent. They did one evil thing! At the beginning of Last Kiss they played a few bars of the intro to Soldier of Love! I just started to go oh my goodness, and then Last Kiss started instead. They worked in a LOT of songs - we got 14, and it almost seemed like Save You was just squeezed in somehow just before RITFW. And even those clearly there to see the Stones were applauding after Betterman, and it got louder when Jeremy started, because even most non-PJ fans know that one.

Had never seen the Stones before (except on TV!), so it was cool to see a part of rock and roll history, and hear the songs that everyone knows. Keith playing, with the cig. hanging from his mouth as I've seen in pictures so many times. Goodness - hearing Satisfaction, Jumping Jack Flash, Paint if Black - stuff that was written when I was ONE or so! But what bombast, what spectacle! Okay, the light stuff was cool for Sympathy for the Devil, and I love the song and yes Mick looked cool in that particular outfit. The screen, red lights, fucking FIRE WORKS, and flames busting off stuff. Wow. Not used to it. I'm going to say some of it was distracting I guess. A different style of putting on a concert. Mick sounded great, clearly a showman, SO different from Ed. And speaking of Ed, he came on to sing with Mick during Wild Horses. We were very far away, but due to the screens we could see their faces. The song sounded great, and the look on Ed's face (at least how it appeared to me - maybe I'm mis-reading it) was that he was in heaven singing with Mick. It was really sweet to see.

I missed being in a purely PJ crowd though - this crowd was more sedate - our section was not a standing section - not even for PJ. Just such a different vibe than the intense joyful mania that explodes in a PJ show.

I missed getting the girls' pj/pittsburgh shirt -they sold out pretty quick.

So - 36 hours away from home, 1,000 miles driven, ~ 1 hour of Pearl Jam - priceless! And the Stones weren't bad either ;)
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    Yeah, Mike uses wireless. Check TB2000. He runs his ass all the way around the stage at one point. And in Calgary I noticed it as well.

yeah i didn't think i was going crazy-- guess MCA is the one going crazy and the original poster
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    JDMJDM Posts: 9
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I can't believe people bitch and moan about Pearl Jam set lists leangths with a $50 ticket price.....but holy hell....the Stones fans get raped....how much were there tickets and they only play a 21 song setlist??? And I bet the Stones setlist is the same exact show in every city they go to.

That review was awesome about PJ......it's good to hear they were really well received by the Stones fans. Sounds like PJ put on a great opening show.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and saw Pearl Jam for the first time last night in Pittsburgh. Eddie actually spilled some of his red wine on me in the third row. He looked like he was feeling pretty good. Not being a Pearl Jam expert, does he drink during all his performances? And if you think $50 is bad for a ticket. The Stones are playing Sunrise Florida in March and all but the raffter seats are $400+. I come to know Pearl Jam as I'm a huge Who fan and as you all know theres a good relationship with Eddie and the band. I really enjoyed PJs performance even if it leaned a bit on hits. I would really like to see a complete show. Will they be touring in Ohio soon? Thanks in advance and I look forward to making some new friends here. JD
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    lephty wrote:

I know! Couldn't believe it - I was just hoping she hadn't been there during PJ's set. She had the Stones tounge logo painted all over her front in red. (She was immortalized up on the huge screen in living color, which was how we in the back know about it! Can you imagine going out like that?) All I could think of was Hershey lol.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008