Options

**Pittsburgh Fanviews Here**

corduroy2121corduroy2121 Posts: 68
edited October 2005 in Given To Fly (live)
Just got back from the show, incredible time. heres the PJ set:
on 6:59
Go
Corduroy
Animal
Even Flow
Gimme Some Truth
Given to Fly
Daughter (no tag)
Black
Betterman (/Save it for Later)
Jeremy
Last Kiss
Alive
Save You
Rockin in the Free World
off 8:04

so Ed was very talkative tonite, thanking the Stones, the crew, and especially Charlie Watts for making it there tonite (Charlie has been battling cancer I think). Mike played the Even Flow solo behind his head for a long while, everyone loved that. Daughter was shorter than normal without a tag. Betterman had the "run away, run away... dont let me down" etc. part of the Save it for later tag. Ed introduced Last Kiss as "another teen death song". Ed gave another thank you speech before Alive, which was played as if it was the closer. Surprising to us PJ fans, Mike went right into Save You, and after went right into RITFW. It was an incredible closing to the set, as most thought Alive would be it. Stone absolutely OWNED Rockin, and had a extended solo of maybe 4 minutes. Meanwhile Ed and Mike took advantage of the giant stage runways (as well as wireless guitar) to run the length of the stage to thank all the fans. They were jumpin and flyin around havin a great time. About midway through the PJ set the crowd really filled up, and it finally got dark out, so the energy went noticably up. By the late part of the PJ set the stadium was completely full and rocking out. RITFW completely tore down the stadium, I heard non-PJ fans talking after about how amazing it was. PJ left the stage to a standing ovation from the entire crowd, it made me proud to see as a PJ fan in the minority to Stones fans. Stones fans didnt stand the entire set but were into it the whole time, and definately realized they were seeing more than just your average opening band. (and this was in the upper deck/cheap seats).

as for the Stones, I would refrain from calling this a concert, as much as it is really a Rolling Stones "Stage show". the stage is massive, including a giant video screen with box suites (yes, for people to sit in) on the sides at least 5 stories tall. They had fireworks, spotlights, flame machines, and a moving stage that drove them out to the back of the field for a few songs mid-set. Overall they sounded good, not spectacular, but hey they are the Stones, and they are 60. They are still fun to see but I would NOT recommend seeing them more than once a tour unless youre a real diehard.
The stadium was packed (about 40,000 and soldout), and the view was unrivaled on the East coast. only those who went to the Gorge can compare. The stadium looks right across the river to the downtown Skyline, and the outfield is entirely open so you can see perfectly. Just an incredible backdrop.

Heres the Stones set
on 9:05
01. Start Me Up
02. You Got Me Rocking
03. She's So Cold
04. Tumbling Dice
05. Rough Justice
06. Wild Horses ****(w/ Eddie!)****
07. You Can't Always Get What You Want
08. Rocks Off
09. Night Time Is The Right Time (Ray Charles cover)
10. The Worst (Keith sings)
11. Infamy (Keith sings)
12. Miss You (from B-stage (near home plate))
13. Oh No Not You Again (B-stage)
14. Get Off Of My Cloud (B-stage)
15. Honky Tonk Women (from B-stage)
16. Sympathy For The Devil
17. Paint it Black
18. It's Only Rock N' Roll
19. Jumping Jack Flash
20. Satisfaction
21. Brown Sugar (encore)
off 11:00
"Delight in your youth"

GO PITT
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    igotid_8igotid_8 Cleveland, Ohio Posts: 497
    I echo your comments!
    Join us over here..
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=145662&page=1
    2000 Columbus, Pittsburgh
    2003 Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Columbus
    2004 Toledo
    2005 Hamilton, Pittsburgh
    2006 Cleveland, Auburn Hills, Pittsburgh
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Cleveland
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Detroit
    2016 Tampa, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2018 Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2022 Hamilton
    2023 Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Austin 1, Austin 2
  • Options
    chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Go
    Corduroy
    Animal
    Even Flow
    Gimme Some Truth
    Given to Fly
    Daughter (no tag)
    Black
    Jeremy
    Last Kiss
    Alive
    Save You
    Rockin in the Free World

so Ed was very talkative tonite, thanking the Stones, the crew, and especially Charlie Watts for making it there tonite (Charlie has been battling cancer I think). Mike played the Even Flow solo behind his head for a long while, everyone loved that. Daughter was shorter than normal without a tag. Betterman had the "run away, run away... dont let me down" etc. part of the Save it for later tag. Ed introduced Last Kiss as "another teen death song". Ed gave another thank you speech before Alive, which was played as if it was the closer. Surprising to us PJ fans, Mike went right into Save You, and after went right into RITFW. It was an incredible closing to the set, as most thought Alive would be it. Stone absolutely OWNED Rockin, and had a extended solo of maybe 4 minutes. Meanwhile Ed and Mike took advantage of the giant stage runways (as well as wireless guitar) to run the length of the stage to thank all the fans. They were jumpin and flyin around havin a great time. About midway through the PJ set the crowd really filled up, and it finally got dark out, so the energy went noticably up. By the late part of the PJ set the stadium was completely full and rocking out. RITFW completely tore down the stadium, I heard non-PJ fans talking after about how amazing it was. PJ left the stage to a standing ovation from the entire crowd, it made me proud to see as a PJ fan in the minority to Stones fans. Stones fans didnt stand the entire set but were into it the whole time, and definately realized they were seeing more than just your average opening band. (and this was in the upper deck/cheap seats).

as for the Stones, I would refrain from calling this a concert, as much as it is really a Rolling Stones "Stage show". the stage is massive, including a giant video screen with box suites (yes, for people to sit in) on the sides at least 5 stories tall. They had fireworks, spotlights, flame machines, and a moving stage that drove them out to the back of the field for a few songs mid-set. Overall they sounded good, not spectacular, but hey they are the Stones, and they are 60. They are still fun to see but I would NOT recommend seeing them more than once a tour unless youre a real diehard.
    The stadium was packed (about 40,000 and soldout), and the view was unrivaled on the East coast. only those who went to the Gorge can compare. The stadium looks right across the river to the downtown Skyline, and the outfield is entirely open so you can see perfectly. Just an incredible backdrop.

Heres the Stones set
    01. Start Me Up
    02. You Got Me Rocking
    03. She's So Cold
    04. Tumbling Dice
    05. Rough Justice
    08. Rocks Off
    11. Infamy (Keith sings)
    17. Paint it Black
    19. Jumping Jack Flash
    20. Satisfaction
    21. Brown Sugar (encore)

Great recap. Glad to see the appreciation for PJ. I completely concur on the backdrop at PNC, the most beautiful ballpark I've been to (and I've seen about 18 or so).

*the chimp*
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Who else saw the show? :)
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    didnt see the show but here is the newspaper review from the pittsburgh post-gazette.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05272/579713.stm
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    Glad I didn't pay to see that show...Not too thrilled with the setlist, and NOT a Stones fan at all....but looking forward to hearing from friends who attended to get their opinion..
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    yahamita wrote:
    Glad I didn't pay to see that show...Not too thrilled with the setlist, and NOT a Stones fan at all....but looking forward to hearing from friends who attended to get their opinion..

you are insane... it was amazing
    tattooedeverything.com
    SEND IN YOUR PEARL JAM TATTOOS
    updated 01/28/2008
  • Options
    Got a $165 ticket scalped for $80. I was on the floor. Walking around, saw some guy I know in the $450 seats - dead center. Started talking to him and stayed there for PJ. Pretty lucky night.

The Stones fans I talked to were blown away by PJ. They were very impressed. Sure, the set list was standard (except for Gimmie Some Truth and Last Kiss), but they sounded excellent. It was a tight set list, well played and they killed out there!

This was my 8th time seeing PJ and my 5th time seeing the Stones. The Stones are already boring to me - I just realized it tonight. They are stuck playing the huge hits (Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, et al.) which has made their shows pretty dull, in my humble opinion. "Night Time is the Right Time" was the highlight - great Ray Charles cover.

I have all the Stones albums and I love them, but the Stones got served tonight.
    2004 Toledo
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Cleveland
    2014 Detroit
    2022 Hamilton
  • Options
    strangespotintheskystrangespotinthesky Pittsburgh Posts: 31
    Pretty much the type of setlist I expected - short, sweet and rocking - with all the hits...

It was a really high energy performance - lots of jumping and running around. They wasted little to no time between most songs - just cranking them out one after the other.

It was strange seeing them in the daylight and with quite a few people just sitting in their seats (and empty seats at the start of their set) - at least in my section. You'd see little clusters of PJ fans going nuts through their set - that was cool.

Highlights for me were...

Mike extended soloing behind the head during Even Flow
    The boys running out on the ramp during RITFW
    Ed helping out on Wild Horses
    The sweet Pittsburgh PJ t-shirt
    Seeing the Stones!
    The beatiful weather (could it have been a better night?)

I don't think 1 person was complaining about ticket prices after their show - everybody got their moneys worth - that's for sure.

This "teaser" now has me all pumped up for Philly!
    Pitt '98 - Pitt '00 - Pitt '03 - State College '03 - Hershey '03 - Toledo '04 - Pitt '05 - Philly '05 - Cleveland '06 - Pitt '06 - Cinci '06 - Bonnaroo '08 - MSG I '08 - MSG II '08
  • Options
    "The sweet Pittsburgh PJ t-shirt"

what t-shirt,please explain
    I will walk with my hands bound
  • Options
    Kat wrote:
    Who else saw the show? :)

ME! :D

Driving to Pittsburgh from DC is a much longer trip than I remember. This trip was about 5 1/2 hours - yuck. Anyway, I was lucky enough to have a friend drop me off at the stadium and pick me up. We got inside around 5:50 and went to our seats. I met up with fellow jammer Dan who was sitting in the row behind me. Around 7pm Pearl Jam came out and did exactly what an opening band should do - ROCK.

I took my friend to this show, he had never seen Pearl Jam before. I started introducing him last year. He really enjoyed the show and was very impressed with the guitar playing of Mike. The setlist was a greatest hits setlist, but that was expected all along. Im happy it was what it was because my friend definately enjoyed knowing almost all of the songs. The band sounded GREAT and they were having a lot of fun up there.

Watching them open for a band as huge as the Rolling Stones really made me proud to be a Pearl Jam fan. They had the entire place rocking and by the time RITFW started, everyone was having such a blast. Seeing your favorite band kick that much ass was definately worth the long drive.
  • Options
    "The sweet Pittsburgh PJ t-shirt"

what t-shirt,please explain

from memory (I didnt buy one):
    It was black, it had the new Pearl Jam logo that has been used on the Canadian shirts on the front. On the back it had the bird-type logo that has been used on the digital bootlegs. and it said Pittsburgh PNC Park Sept 28 2005

the thing I didnt like is that none of the Rolling stones shirts mentioned Pearl Jam (even though they had venue specific Pittsburgh shirts also) and the Pearl Jam shirts didnt mention the Stones. i was disapointed with that and didnt get a shirt. the PJ shirt was very cool however
    "Delight in your youth"

GO PITT
  • Options

the thing I didnt like is that none of the Rolling stones shirts mentioned Pearl Jam (even though they had venue specific Pittsburgh shirts also) and the Pearl Jam shirts didnt mention the Stones. i was disapointed with that and didnt get a shirt. the PJ shirt was very cool however

that's why I didn't buy one either
    tattooedeverything.com
    SEND IN YOUR PEARL JAM TATTOOS
    updated 01/28/2008
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    I can't believe people bitch and moan about Pearl Jam set lists leangths with a $50 ticket price.....but holy hell....the Stones fans get raped....how much were there tickets and they only play a 21 song setlist??? And I bet the Stones setlist is the same exact show in every city they go to.

That review was awesome about PJ......it's good to hear they were really well received by the Stones fans. Sounds like PJ put on a great opening show.
  • Options
    Will we be seeing any photos from this show?? Hope so!!! :D
    I will feel alive as long as I am free
  • Options
    Go
    Corduroy
    Animal
    Even Flow
    Gimme Some Truth
    Given to Fly
    Daughter (no tag)
    Black
    Jeremy
    Last Kiss
    Alive
    Save You
    Rockin in the Free World

Heres the Stones set
    01. Start Me Up
    02. You Got Me Rocking
    03. She's So Cold
    04. Tumbling Dice
    05. Rough Justice
    08. Rocks Off
    11. Infamy (Keith sings)
    17. Paint it Black
    19. Jumping Jack Flash
    20. Satisfaction
    21. Brown Sugar (encore)

Know what makes me sick. The stones have arguably one of the largest catalogues of top notch songs to draw from, they definitely eclipse Pearl Jamin that regard. They charge upwards of $400 per ticket (and minimum of what was it, $60 for nosebleeds in a 40,000 seat arena) and they only do 21 songs, with the encore being just 1 song.

That is why I will never go to a stones concert.
    Minneapolis : 06/30/1998 - Chicago : 10/09/2000 - Vancouver : 05/30/2003 - Fargo : 06/15/2003 - Winnipeg : 09/08/2005 - Thunder Bay : 09/09/2005 - St. Paul : 06/26/2006 - Chicago : 08/23/2009 - Chicago : 08/24/2009
  • Options
    I was there. I had a great time and both bands rocked. Pearl jam more than held their own. Two things i'd like to mention. 1. Our section was a young section and everyone was there for pearl jam. but the people sitting in our row were in their 50's. After rockin in the free world, the guy turns to me(after he actually got up after sitting most of the set) and said "damn those guys can play" It was good to see pearl jam win over the older crowd.
    And #2 my friend and i were talking between sets and he mentions that he'd really like to hear wild horses. Well during rough justice he decides to take a piss break. And what do you think happens next? they play wild horses WITH EDDIE ON VOCALS WITH MICK. Needless to say when he came back after the song was over and i told him what he missed he was pretty pissed.
  • Options
    Yeah. I was there last night I thought the setlist was crazy that they played Daughter, Black, Better Man, Jeremy, Last Kiss, AND Alive. But I was really dissapointed that they didn't play Yellow Ledbetter. I guess thats the price you pay when you get all those really popular songs in one set. Most of the time you hear a couple of those through a whole show, I think it was worth it. But I think since it got delayed for a while because of people getting in they should have had time to play one more (Yellow Ledbetter)!
  • Options
    Im glad I can say I saw the Stones. I wouldnt do it again - and the only reason I went this time was because Pearl Jam was opening, so it was like "Cool, Pearl Jam! and the Stones too..."
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    I got to meet Matt which was cool. Once again McCready reminded me he's the reason I started playing guitar, the Even Flow solo was sick!!!! I was semi-dissapointed they didn't play anything special for us, but they kicked ass. Minus the douchebags behind me it was great! The Stones on the other hand butchered a lot of their songs. I seriously couldn't get into them. We left at the end of the first set and only missed one song, so that was no big deal. I thought Wild Horses was there best song of the night (and not just because Ed came out, it actually sounded like the song). When they covered Sympathy for the Devil at the Crohn's benefit it was better than what the Stones did last night. I feel bad for the people who paid $400 for seats, except for the people who were by the girl who painted the Stones logo on her body. Cause that's all she had on.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I can't believe people bitch and moan about Pearl Jam set lists leangths with a $50 ticket price.....but holy hell....the Stones fans get raped....how much were there tickets and they only play a 21 song setlist??? And I bet the Stones setlist is the same exact show in every city they go to.

That review was awesome about PJ......it's good to hear they were really well received by the Stones fans. Sounds like PJ put on a great opening show.

Granted, I'm not a Stones fan, but for a bunch of 80-year olds, that's not too shabby.
    For Rent
  • Options
    blackngold wrote:
    didnt see the show but here is the newspaper review from the pittsburgh post-gazette.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05272/579713.stm

nice review for PJ. better review than from the stupid toronto sun.

sounds like a good time
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • Options
    zolstice wrote:
    Know what makes me sick. The stones have arguably one of the largest catalogues of top notch songs to draw from, they definitely eclipse Pearl Jamin that regard. They charge upwards of $400 per ticket (and minimum of what was it, $60 for nosebleeds in a 40,000 seat arena) and they only do 21 songs, with the encore being just 1 song.

That is why I will never go to a stones concert.

Agree 100%... 2 hour show full of the same songs they play every single time. I saw them back in 1980 (or maybe it was 81) in the Cotton Bowl with ZZ Top and the Fabulous Thunderbirds. It was a great show, high energy from all the bands and a decent set list... but I haven't been to see them since and apparently haven't missed a thing (except paying too much for a ticket).

Nice to hear that PJ got props from the "non-fans" in the crowd! But seriously, anyone who digs good rock and roll can't possibly sit through a PJ set without being impressed. Our boys put out!!!

~peace~
    Never allow someone to be your Priority,
    While allowing yourself to be their Option.

‹^›_‹(ô¿ô)›_‹^›

Please visit daily: www.theanimalrescuesite.com
  • Options
    what an experience
    thats all i can say
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • Options
    I talked to more than a few Stones fans who were older and they were all blown away by Pearl Jam. Most had never seen them before and they loved PJ's performance, which is good to hear.

Incidentally, I got a Pittsburgh shirt, which is very sweet. Only thing is it's too small. I got a large like I normally do and it's too small. Anyone got an XL they want to trade?!

Seems like every PJ shirt is made by a different company who sizes things differently. Arg.
    2004 Toledo
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Cleveland
    2014 Detroit
    2022 Hamilton
  • Options
    Meanwhile Ed and Mike took advantage of the giant stage runways (as well as wireless guitar) to run the length of the stage to thank all the fans.

aren't they always wireless?- unless you mean ed had a wireless mic
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    aren't they always wireless?- unless you mean ed had a wireless mic

Nope. Ed always uses a mic with a cord, and they all play guitars hooked directly to their amps.
    That would have been sweet to see!!
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Nope. Ed always uses a mic with a cord, and they all play guitars hooked directly to their amps.
    That would have been sweet to see!!

ughh i really thought mike was always wireless.. and i know ed uses a mic with a cord.. it'll be a sellout when he doesn't and he never will so no worries
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    anyone have any more pics from the show last night. even pics of when the stones were playing.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    ughh i really thought mike was always wireless.. and i know ed uses a mic with a cord.. it'll be a sellout when he doesn't and he never will so no worries
    Hahaha, can you imagine Ed with a Britney Spears wireless headset mic?!?! How freakin' funny would that be?!?! LOL! :D