Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    go get laid
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    go get laid
    Hope you are joking there.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • 81 wrote:
    go get laid

don't mind 81. he always tries to lighten the mood. he means well!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I shared this info with one close to me who has no health insurance and is depressed
    about life ...

Raise your activity level.
    Even a few minutes of physical activity a day will help reduce anxiety and negative thinking, break the cycle of fatigue that accompanies depression and produce natural endorphins that lift mood.
    Walk, run, dance, bike, swim or do anything physical that you enjoy. Exercising outdoors brings the added benefits of fresh air and sunlight, which can help lift depressive symptoms caused by Seasonal Affective Disorder or vitamin D deficiency.
    Yoga can be particularly helpful, because it incorporates exercise, relaxation and breathing.

Do something creative.
    Engage in a favorite hobby, or pick up a new one. Choose activities that occupy both your mind and your body.

Watch what you eat.
    Choose fresh, nutritious, easy-to-prepare foods.
    Keep the ingredients of simple meals and healthy snacks available so you don’t fall back on eating fast food or skipping meals when depression makes you too tired to cook.
    Limit sugars, carbs, salt and saturated fats. Depression is often linked to conditions such as insulin resistance, diabetes and heart disease. Avoid foods that trigger swings in blood sugar levels or raise blood pressure.

Supplement with vitamins.
    Shortages of vitamin B and vitamin D can contribute to depression, so adding them may help. Start with foods rich in these vitamins, and discuss adding supplements with your healthcare provider.

Try herbal remedies.
    There’s anecdotal evidence that herbal supplements such as St. John’s wort, licorice and gingko biloba can relieve some symptoms of depression.

Change your lifestyle, a little at a time.
    Depression often goes hand-in-hand with negative life circumstances. You can’t change everything at once, but if you practice small steps toward improvement, such as applying for two jobs a day or making an appointment with a debt counselor, you may feel less overwhelmed.
    Chart your progress in writing, and reward yourself for each step taken.

Avoid alcohol.
    Even though some people find drinking a short-term mood lifter, alcohol is a central nervous system depressant and it will make your symptoms worse.
    There may be a biochemical link between alcohol abuse and depression; each tends to make the person more vulnerable to the other.

Get adequate rest. Depression can lead to both insomnia and oversleeping.

Reach out.
    Depression makes you feel as though you are living in a glass bubble or a hermit’s cave. Volunteering to help others in need can give you a break from your isolation, and is often more rewarding and less exhausting than trying to carry on your regular social activities.

Talk with someone.
    There’s strong evidence that talk therapy, particularly cognitive therapy that concentrates on changing negative thought patterns, can be an effective treatment for depression, either alone or when combined with drugs.
    Pastoral counseling and 12-step groups can also offer a place to talk out your feelings and get help with circumstances that accompany or are caused by depression.

Caring about someone close to you who is depressed is frightening.

It is a helpless feeling because the only one who can truly change things
    is the one living the depression.
    I liken it to living with an addict which I have also known. It is frustrating, encompassing,
    fills your days and nights with worry. It breaks your heart and makes you angry
    at the same time.

The threats of suicide leaves you numb because you can not envision yourself
    without this person in your life. But there is nothing you can do or say that
    seems to help.

I have been this depressed person inflicting pain and worry on my loved ones,
    though no fault was theirs.

I have been the one trying to help my depressed loved one.

Feeling both sides of this I realize my role in it all. I just wish
    we didn't have to live it but we do.
  • You forgot to include in your advice...
    "Ignore people that call you selfish and make you feel guilty of fractured family relationships''
    "Give up who you are and do as others say"
    "Life your life how others want you to live it"
    "Go to church"
    "Support women in your life"
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • how ya feeling today my man? I started off my day listening to Ed's Uke Songs. Depending on my mood, sometimes music like that can bring me further down, or it can lift me up. Today it's lifing me up.

I'm seriously considering getting a uke and learning the songs (I've got the deluxe songbook after all!). I think my daughters would really like it. They love it when I play guitar for them. And they like playing the little pink uke I bought for my eldest a while back.

Take care bud,

Paul
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    edited November 2012
    You forgot to include in your advice...
    "Ignore people that call you selfish and make you feel guilty of fractured family relationships''
    "Go to church"
    I assume, though you did not quote me, this is for me.... yes?

Is this what you heard? It sounds negative.

I remember hearing only negative, it was a painful angry place.
    I couldn't recognize the help coming my way nor try to process it into
    forward motion.
    It wasn't until I realized my life was not all about me, that I had responsibilities
    to those who loved me and yes who I loved back.
    It was in that moment that I appreciated, really appreciated life and knew
    what my motivation was. To live for others.

This is me though not you and again I am sorry you do not understand
    my motives for wanting goodness, happiness for you.

If the shoes does not fit don't wear it if it does walk your path happy.
    Post edited by pandora on
  • pandora wrote:
    "Go to church"

forward motion.
    It wasn't until I realized my life was not all about me, that I had responsibilities

Kat/Sea make her stop pleaaaaaaase.
    Better still, lock this one I don't want to read her crap anymore, she's been going out of her way across two threads now to anger me. I have politely asked her to stop and she will not.
    pandora wrote:
    "Go to church"

forward motion.

Kat/Sea make her stop pleaaaaaaase.
    Better still, lock this one I don't want to read her crap anymore, she's been going out of her way across two threads now to anger me. I have politely asked her to stop and she will not.
    The mods want people to use the ignore feature, you have not ignored anything I have said.
    Why? The fact you think kind words and sharing related experiences
    is intended to anger, you are in a place to either ignore share or learn.
    Another choice.

Perhaps you will choose one or the other and of course I will follow suit.

On a side note, we are in all in a unique situation to learn and share here.
    Age differences and opinions certainly effect this.

The 20 something's, through their life experiences, can share to teens,
    they can give youthful insight to current troubles in the world, I have learned
    much from the young people here, a new fresh look.

The just over the hill gang may have friendly advice about career and child raising,
    the AARP crowd might have some experiences and lessons from hindsight is 20/20
    and the wisdom that grandparents bring to the table.

These just a few examples, certainly not limited to what we all can share.

My positivity tells me...
    Life is tough, yes for everyone ...
    all people really want to do is try to make it easier for others.
  • TA started this thread to connect with others through his depression, and I hope that for the most part it has been helpful. While we all have the ability to use the ignore feature and set our own boundaries, I also think it's important to respect others' boundaries when they have been expressed. That would be in keeping with the spirit of the board.

Hope you're doing ok TA.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • TA started this thread to connect with others through his depression, and I hope that for the most part it has been helpful. While we all have the ability to use the ignore feature and set our own boundaries, I also think it's important to respect others' boundaries when they have been expressed. That would be in keeping with the spirit of the board.

Hope you're doing ok TA.

:thumbup:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:
    go get laid

don't mind 81. he always tries to lighten the mood. he means well!

just getting back..but yes, it was meant in humor.

hope all is well....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    when im in a mental rut i try these things:

physically exhaust myself, hike, bike, run, swim, workout...push yourself to the limit

do something im afraid of overcome a fear
This discussion has been closed.