Options

Gen Admis ethics

Comments

• Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Never been in a painful pit. One of my favourite PJ gigs was Dusseldorf 07. Quite drunk, remember only certain parts of the performance, but boy the circle pit was fun, properly amped, that's for sure.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    CobCob Posts: 857
    I'm 43 and started going to concerts when I was 12 and I can tell you one thing without a doubt, people these days have absolutely NO concert etiquette anymore and NO RESPECT for anyone around them, they talk loud, taking pictures and video the entire show and just push past everyone as if there is some magical spot just waiting for them up front, I for one am sick of it.

Last year @ ACL Fest here in Austin I was waiting in line like everyone else to use the portable restroom, there were 2 girls and a guy in front of me @ the front of the line, I had been in line about 20 minutes already. Some other girl walks up out of nowhere and starts talking to the girls in front of me. The person walks out of the bathroom and the girl that just walked up B lines it straight to the bathroom, I was like WTF and told the ppl in front of me that it was total BS what their friend just did, they just ignored me like I wasn't there, I said fine, when your friend come out of there she's getting an earful from me.

She walks out and I just let her have it, her excuse was, "I had to go" I said like the other hundred people in line here didn't have to go? She said sorry I had to go, I won't even tell you what else I had to say to her, but some people think at a concert it's all about them and F everyone else. :nono:
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,773
    no push. just fill the voids as they open. sucks when you have to piss.
    how about smoking tweeds?

God call!
    I'm from Canada so I will need help in that department.
    Little help? :oops:
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    Please don't push...I've been knocked off my feet at a few GA concerts, and it's scary.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    Get there early if you want to be up front.

I use a cane to help me walk and I don't need some jackass or jackasses pushing me cause they got there late, because they feel that getting up front will make the show better for them.

I'm attending Midtown and i plan on going in around 4 or 5 so i should get decent seats and be able to check out some decent bands.

Maybe it's just me but as long as i'm there and i can hear the music i don't mind. I've sat way back and kind of close and the only good thing about being close is better pictures that's all.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Hinn wrote:
    Thank fuck for some actual rock n roll sense.

It's GA. Want personal space? Get a seat. Can't hack the pressure in the front? Change locations, go to the back or the side where there's always more space.
    ^^This is what it comes down to.
    You can still get fairly close without anyone bothering you. Probably the equivalent of 12-15 rows back in an arena, or 25-30 at a festival. It kinda sucks for people who don't want to exert any energy, or are at a physical disadvantage....but....it's reality. I just can't fathom this expectation of being left alone in the spot you spent all day 'reserving' :lol: Do those suggesting this ever go to the front at any other rock shows? This is how it is for any band with a distorted guitar! I have never, ever in the 20+ years since my first GA concert, heard any person I know suggest 'holding a spot at the front' for a GA rock show. Not until I heard the complaints about it on this board (this has been a complaint here for years, tho). I always viewed it as a way to save a bit of time and energy getting to the front....and you know what? I learned early on (PJ - Barrie 98, to be precise), that it is NOT a way to save energy in a GA/pit show....the first few songs in a big crowd are often the craziest part of the show...if you hang back a bit for the beginning, then slide up slowly 5-6 songs in, it's usually not as nuts up front.

People need to be aware of the way these crowds can get...it's not a bad idea to stay back and observe at first. At the Calgary 09 show, there was a dude in the crowd with a kid, maybe 7 or 8, on his shoulders...he was a ways back, but misjudged the crowd, and was still caught in a bit of a surge...the kid looked terrified :( ....people were freaking trying to clear room for him.....I've seen lots of crazy shit happen in pits, and yes, it's usually because people are being idiots and trying to force their way up...there are ways to move up without creating chaos - as has been said - fill the gaps...move slowly..HELP EACH OTHER OUT esp in the packed-like-sardines, crowd surfing part near the front. Anyone who goes down or wants out becomes your immediate priority and responsibility.

Ed monitors the pits like crazy...pointing out assholes, telling people to watch out for each other, pointing out hazards etc...I've never really heard him tell people to stop moving around and let everyone keep their spot. :D
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    GA sucks!

I've been in some seriously scary GA's-"pits" before. Not PJ... A couple times I was so smashed I couldn't breath for about 30 seconds, I got lifted off my feet involuntarily many times, hit in the face multiple times (not purposely), crowd surfer falling on me, getting knocked to the ground,...I went to a show with a girl I was seeing in college. She was 5'3", 110 lbs tops. I spent the entire show keeping her safe. At one point she was going down due to a crowd shift. I could only hold on to her hand as 500 lbs of people landed on her. Thank god she didn't get hurt!

Fuck that! I'm not 16 anymore. If I pay $75 for a ticket, I shouldn't have to worry about some dumb fuck falling one me.

Oh, and if I'm ever in that situation again and you're a pushing fuckface, I have a strong right cross waiting for you! :D

Oh, and when I go to a show, I want to watch a show, not watch my back ever 2 seconds for the next fucker to fall into me! F that!
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Cob wrote:
    I'm 43 and started going to concerts when I was 12 and I can tell you one thing without a doubt, people these days have absolutely NO concert etiquette anymore and NO RESPECT for anyone around them, they talk loud, taking pictures and video the entire show and just push past everyone as if there is some magical spot just waiting for them up front, I for one am sick of it.
    22051508.jpg

:P
    was gonna go with a 'get off my lawn' pic, but figured I'd stay on topic ;)
    just giving you a hard time...I understand where you're coming from, and agree that those people are idiots...but I don't know why people let this shit get to them so much!
    To clarify my comment about spilled beer pissing me off....for context: being Canadian, 'really pissed' means apologizing for absorbing the person's beer, then continuing to rock the fuck out ;)
    Wait, so those talking about it being a rock concert and people shouldn't bitch about personal space..can you answer the OPs question?

Is it ok to push your way to the front?
    Not one person in this thread has said it is. (the OP even recanted in the third post)
  • Options
    Anyone who goes down or wants out becomes your immediate priority and responsibility.

THIS.
    "down" seems to be a given to me, and i have seen pretty much everyone anywhere near a downed person at any show i've been to act VERY PROMPTLY to make sure downed fans GET UP ASAP.

On the other hand I have seen plenty of ill, exhausted, and disoriented looking folks getting NO HELP (albeit, they usually aren't that obvious if you aren't paying attention to them) to GET OUT. When people look like they are about to faint, have an injury, or whathaveyou, make sure you do your part to give them room to GET OUT!
    mca47 wrote:
    Oh, and if I'm ever in that situation again and you're a pushing fuckface, I have a strong right cross waiting for you! :D

Yeah. I'm embarrassed to admit this, but sometimes people have it coming. I would NEVER get violent, even if directly antagonized (that's just my way), but I was with a friend at a Meat Puppets show some time ago, and he isn't so shy of confrontation. The same meat head kept walloping through the pit towards us -- and we were VERY clearly NO WHERE NEAR the pit, and yet this asshole would keep coming over to where we were standing and shove my buddy. After about the 10th time of this occuring, and at least TWO seperate warnings for the kid to fuck off, my friend just walled back and slugged him square in the face with his right hand. This kid then ran, bloody nose in hand to the bathroom. I could hardly believe it and was more than a bit upset with him for doing so, but looking back, I "kind've" see his point. :P
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    no, it's not OK to push your way through. respect the people who have put in a lot of time and effort to get up front. of course you can't expect to keep your spot for the whole gig, as it's a rock concert and people move (and thankfully so) but don't hit anyone, don't push anyone out of your way, generally act like you would like to be treated.

that being said, being front row by yourself is not nearly as much fun as being further back with a group of enthusiastic friends...so if faced with a decision, I'd now go for that (and as a complete front row junkie, that is something I'd never expected to say).
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    mca47 wrote:
    GA sucks!

I've been in some seriously scary GA's-"pits" before. Not PJ... A couple times I was so smashed I couldn't breath for about 30 seconds, I got lifted off my feet involuntarily many times, hit in the face multiple times (not purposely), crowd surfer falling on me, getting knocked to the ground,...I went to a show with a girl I was seeing in college. She was 5'3", 110 lbs tops. I spent the entire show keeping her safe. At one point she was going down due to a crowd shift. I could only hold on to her hand as 500 lbs of people landed on her. Thank god she didn't get hurt!

Fuck that! I'm not 16 anymore. If I pay $75 for a ticket, I shouldn't have to worry about some dumb fuck falling one me.

Oh, and when I go to a show, I want to watch a show, not watch my back ever 2 seconds for the next fucker to fall into me! F that!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mkBIMwDcxc

Game, set, match to GA, 6-0, 6-0, 6-0.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Kathi wrote:
    no, it's not OK to push your way through. respect the people who have put in a lot of time and effort to get up front. of course you can't expect to keep your spot for the whole gig, as it's a rock concert and people move (and thankfully so) but don't hit anyone, don't push anyone out of your way, generally act like you would like to be treated.

that being said, being front row by yourself is not nearly as much fun as being further back with a group of enthusiastic friends...so if faced with a decision, I'd now go for that (and as a complete front row junkie, that is something I'd never expected to say).
    now,that i know how u are..lol

i have o say,that im glad u got how to enjoy the best a show.....
    i said it so many times here..why GA is the best way to enjoy a show..
    doesnt matter where u come from,where is your spot,etc..
    only one thing matters..to be in the concert with the people you want..as many they are...
    to rock with your friends,to rock with people around you can share your thoughts,your feelings..
    and if u wanna change spot u can move a bit..

and not where the ticket seats tell u,with only one friend,with people u dont choose around,and if u are lucky to know the person u give or take the spare...

the biggest different of all..to be with the ones you want to be..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Hinn wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    GA sucks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mkBIMwDcxc

Game, set, match to GA, 6-0, 6-0, 6-0.

+1..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6SIAHV5XvE
    at the beggining of the song,i was with Kathi and Christoph from Austria..and then i wanna dance fuckin Tango with My Canadian friend..(25,is all ill say..lol ;) )
    and do high five with Rob ,Meredith and Adam from USA ,.talk to Laura from Germany,and scream my lugs out with Takeshi from Brazil..
    welll..i can fuckin do it at GA Show...
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    Loujoe wrote:

piss off the least amount of people...be up front...l

So, you're ok with pissing off some people, just don;t want it to be a majority? Very nice.

I say Stay. If you want to be upfront, get there early...like everyone else that wants up front. Pushing in my opinion can result in some serious problems/injuries.

Exactly. If you want a good view, get your ass there for the opening band. Waiting through an opening band you may never see again is the price you'll have to pay for a good view.

Now..if you get there late, and just HAPPEN to see an opening in the crowd...take it. Don't push, but if the chance is right and you can get there without pushing...do it. Every once in a while, an opening in the crowd does occur.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Loujoe wrote:

piss off the least amount of people...be up front...l

So, you're ok with pissing off some people, just don;t want it to be a majority? Very nice.

I say Stay. If you want to be upfront, get there early...like everyone else that wants up front. Pushing in my opinion can result in some serious problems/injuries.

Exactly. If you want a good view, get your ass there for the opening band. Waiting through an opening band you may never see again is the price you'll have to pay for a good view.

Now..if you get there late, and just HAPPEN to see an opening in the crowd...take it. Don't push, but if the chance is right and you can get there without pushing...do it. Every once in a while, an opening in the crowd does occur.
    and you know what..at Oslo..i was at cafe fiasco having drinks with friends..
    i get in the venue with the last 10 clubers at the early entrance...
    u know where i was standing at the show?..
    Mike side...

dfsgjv.jpg
  • Options
    Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    Whenever I'm close to the front, and there are people trying to push to get in front of me, I turn, smile, and politely ask "anywhere but here, anywhere but in front of me. Thank you." Seems to work every time.
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Options
    DercheefDercheef Germany Posts: 732
    As long as there is enough space for the people in front of me to let me through I will move forward and I don't see a problem with that. I say "excuse me" and move forward between them very quickly without pushing them over. Maybe they get a little bumb but thats it. Everyone who has a problem with that should really consider getting a seat for their next show. Don't get me wrong, I don't just shove people to the side or hurt them, I always look out for other poeple in a mosh pit. But if there is enough room in front of them, I expect people to move up or to let me through.

What I honestly don't get is, why people get to the front of a ga show, when they have to protect their friends from the crowd. If someone needs to be protected (like small women or kids), then they just shouldn't be there! Why put someone you care about in a possible dangerous situation for them?
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Options
    jlarson75jlarson75 Posts: 113
    I keep seeing references to mosh pits, circle pits, crowd surfing...truthfully, I wasn't anticipating any of that at a 2012 PJ show in a relatively small setting. Am I wrong?
  • Options
    jlarson75 wrote:
    I keep seeing references to mosh pits, circle pits, crowd surfing...truthfully, I wasn't anticipating any of that at a 2012 PJ show in a relatively small setting. Am I wrong?

i mean, it's anyone's guess
    but as i said, i was at a Jane's Addiction show at Irving Plaza, nyc late last year, and there was definitely a good pit going at least a few times during the show.

If it can happen in THAT small a club, i'm sure it can happen at a 7000 person venue.

Grant it, Jane's is SLIGHTLY more raucous than PJ, but I wouldn't say by much.
    Certainly there are songs off VS and Ten are as heavy as anything they put out.
    ?
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    Circle pit on Spin the Black Circle... that would be awesome!

:twisted:

Back to subject, i'll say you behave judging by the crowd and the artist. You don't push in a Neil Young concert but you don't stay arms crossed in the middle of the crowd on a Flogging Molly's concert.

That's the simple logic
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Here's the thing...
    I'm 6'1". I was 6'1" when I showed up at the venue, 4 hours before the doors opened.
    I was still 6'1" when I found a spot on the floor.
    If you are 5'2" and walk up and stand behind me... I'm STILL going to be 6'1".
    I'm probably NOT going to shrink down to 5'1" so you can see... sorry.
    And don't get me wrong... most of the time, i will let shorter people stand in front of me, as long as i can still see over them. But, that does NOT include to 4 friends or your 6'3" boyfriend.
    I guess my point is... if you are short in stature... either get there real early and plop yourself on the sidewalk for a few hours... like my many petite gal friends do.
    OR...
    Scan the venue environment as you walk in and stand behind the shorter people. You might want to be on Mike's side, but, if Stone's side has all of the shorter people, you'll have a better time over there. You can still stand bebind me, but please realize, I am not going to lose 1 foot in height or use my power of invisibility once the show begins. And neither are the other tall people.
    Thank you.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    You might want to be on Mike's side, .
    might?..is there any other side out there???

i learn new things every day!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:

Yeah... the chick's side.
    Chicks dig Stone
    Copyright!!!... new T-shirt. My royalties.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Cosmo wrote:
    Here's the thing...
    I'm 6'1". I was 6'1" when I showed up at the venue, 4 hours before the doors opened.
    I was still 6'1" when I found a spot on the floor.
    If you are 5'2" and walk up and stand behind me... I'm STILL going to be 6'1".
    I'm probably NOT going to shrink down to 5'1" so you can see... sorry.
    And don't get me wrong... most of the time, i will let shorter people stand in front of me, as long as i can still see over them. But, that does NOT include to 4 friends or your 6'3" boyfriend.
    I guess my point is... if you are short in stature... either get there real early and plop yourself on the sidewalk for a few hours... like my many petite gal friends do.
    OR...
    Scan the venue environment as you walk in and stand behind the shorter people. You might want to be on Mike's side, but, if Stone's side has all of the shorter people, you'll have a better time over there. You can still stand bebind me, but please realize, I am not going to lose 1 foot in height or use my power of invisibility once the show begins. And neither are the other tall people.
    Thank you.
    You are 100% correct. I sometimes will ask a tall person if they mind shifting a step one way if there's room, and they often oblige but I don't assume that just because I'm shorter than someone, I'm entitled to stand in front of them. I do try to avoid standing behind tall people, but inevitably when the crowd shifts I always end up behind one anyway :x
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:

Yeah... the chick's side.
    Chicks dig Stone
    Copyright!!!... new T-shirt. My royalties.
    :lol::lol::lol: awesome shirt!
  • Options
    samjam wrote:
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    Be mindful of people that are smaller than you.
    As a 5'3" female, I appreciate this!! Also a big reason I'm not the biggest fan of GA. A little while ago at Radiohead, my friend and I were in the pit in a pretty good spot, so space tightened up fairly quickly. 2 guys who were at least 6' pushed up and ended up standing right in front of us. Because it was so tightly packed and the show had began, couldn't really ask them to move. People like that- :nono: Yes, I do understand it's GA and it can get crowded and sometimes there's not much you can do about space/movement, but when you can, please be mindful of us small folks :D
    I have and will say something to dudes that push their way in front of chicks. Sometimes they move, some times they don't. But, yeah, that is a shitty move for a guy to pull. That ain't right.
    Example: San Francisco 2003. Open seating. I was one off the rail and was there to buffer my tiny gal friend. Some guys shoved their way up and in the process, shoved this other tiny gal behind me. I said something to the guys and they moved back some, but, she was now stuck between me and some other taller guy who'd also been there all day.
    I told her, I couldn't leave my friend and tried to turn sideways as much as I could, but she was basically, stuck behind me.
    Anyway, when Eddie was tossing out the tamborines at the end of the gig, he tossed me one and I passed it on to her. I felt bad that I was blocking her view most of the night and she was very appreciative of taking that tamborine home.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Something else... bringing your kids.
    I mean, yeah, it's cool to bring you kids to the gigs, as long as they are not there so you can pimp them out as 'Eddie-bait' to try to get a guitar pic.
    But, at a General Admission gig. It can get kind of dicey out there. Most of the times it's cool... but, you never know. Most 15 year olds can take care of themselves, but kids down in the single digit age group... do you really thing that is a good parental decision?
    I bring that up because there was a kid that looked about 6 or 7 at the Green Day secret show last night. The dad kept saying to the kid who was complaing that he couldn't see, ''It's okay, they'll let us up to the front". Right.
    When the band hit the stage, the crowd surged forward and it got pretty rough in there. I hope that idiot dad got hit kid out of there, because even for a guy like me, whose been in Black Flag pits in the early 80s... it was pretty rough.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    All of this for a rock concert :lol::lol:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Something else... bringing your kids.
    I mean, yeah, it's cool to bring you kids to the gigs, as long as they are not there so you can pimp them out as 'Eddie-bait' to try to get a guitar pic.
    :lol::lol::lol:
    classic!
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    this is gonna be a lot more work than I thought!!!! :lol:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me