Gen Admis ethics

LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,770
edited February 2013 in The Porch
informal survey:

PUSH
or
STAY

Get in late push your way up front?
Chill out to watch the show where you land?
Only PJ GA a few times a long time ago. mosh pits and more.
Positions changed throughout the show.

I want to have a nice time...piss off the least amount of people...be up front...like everyone else in GA...

one for PUSH
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,887
    Pushing is lame and kinda dangerous.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,088
    Loujoe wrote:

piss off the least amount of people...be up front...l

So, you're ok with pissing off some people, just don;t want it to be a majority? Very nice.

I say Stay. If you want to be upfront, get there early...like everyone else that wants up front. Pushing in my opinion can result in some serious problems/injuries.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,770
    Thanks for the feedback

Changed my PUSH to WIGGLE

and try to get on line early...i'd camp out there but my TC ticket person won't be into that...

I'll just be happy to be in the door!!!!

I won't be one of the hundreds of people pushing...maybe my brain is wrapped around the 90's PJ shows
  • Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    no push. just fill the voids as they open. sucks when you have to piss.
    how about smoking tweeds?
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    walk up until you can't walk anymore.
    Dont push.
    Say 'excuse me' and dont just bump into people.
    FIll in /move forward as space becomes available.
    Dont piss in a bottle; hold it or leave ur spot.
    Dont smoke cigs, other drugs are ok.
    You will piss atleast 1 person off, so just brush it off and dont let it ruin your show.
    Someone will piss you off, cut them some slack and dont let it ruin your show.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    FrankieG wrote:
    Dont push.
    You will piss atleast 1 person off, so just brush it off and dont let it ruin your show.
    :thumbup:
    It's not rocket appliances.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    FrankieG wrote:

smoking inside buildings has been banned by the state of Montana no worries there.

oh and I'd like to add, "please don't *dance* like you stuck your willy in a light socket" because you are likely to punch/elbow other people in the head and that pisses them off.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    People who push suck. Bottom line.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    JimmyV wrote:
    Pushing is lame and kinda dangerous.

Agreed.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    FrankieG wrote:
    Dont push.
    :thumbup:
    +1.

Please, please, please don't push.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695

I think you meant rocket surgery.
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Definitely don't push, like the man Bradley said http://youtu.be/2sVxEWIRvY4
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options

I think you meant rocket surgery.
    :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAIe9QtRKlc
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    FrankieG wrote:

smoking inside buildings has been banned by the state of Montana no worries there.

oh and I'd like to add, "please don't *dance* like you stuck your willy in a light socket" because you are likely to punch/elbow other people in the head and that pisses them off.
    smoking weed was banned a long time ago too....this stuff is usually very difficult to police at a show, and everyone knows it, so they do what they want....
    as a long ago reformed smoker, who has developed quite a sensitivity to cig smoke....I can honestly say that it takes a lot more than smoke of any kind to ruin my enjoyment of a concert.
    I also have no problem returning elbows to people who hit me while dancing like freaks, or whip me with their sweaty-ass mop of hair....I then continue to rock out without getting all pissy about it. The one thing that pisses me right off is getting beer spilled on me. for the most part, if going to the front at a GA show, I expect a lot of asshole behaviour...and I'm rarely disappointed...but I don't let it get to me. All part of the experience, I guess.
  • Options
    LiLiNY81LiLiNY81 Posts: 775
    DS1119 wrote:
    People who push suck. Bottom line.
    +1
    Don't be rude, saying "excuse me" goes a long way. Don't force your way up. If you see an empty spot, go for it. Be mindful of people that are smaller than you. I think all bands should do an in-the-round stage set up. For one, it allows everyone to have a good view and two, the sides of the stage don't get very crowded...maybe 3-4 rows deep at most.

GA can be awesome. A bit of a pain in the ass, but usually once a band goes on, it's all good (at least in my experiences). I don't care about the weed/cig smoke or beer being spilled. It gets wild and it's to be expected. As long as I can enjoy the band on stage without problems, I'm fine. Being one of the smaller people, I've had quite a few nice people watch out for me...had one guy act as my barrier at a show once.
    "Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
    saldoubledutchgif_zps889c30d5.gif
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Loujoe wrote:
    Get in late push your way up front?
    This is NEVER ethical behaviour. If you want to be upfront, go early and wait in line like everyone else.
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Agree with this too. In Stockholm, the guy behind me was going nuts during X and kept bumping into me. I told him that there's a lot of room so will he please try not to bump into me and he got really upset and asked me if this was my first rock concert bla bla bla bla :evil: The security guy told him to chill. I mean, if there's no room to move then I get it, I will get hit all kinds of ways, that's just part of the deal. But it's so unnecessary when there's plenty of room for everyone to be comfortable.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    Be mindful of people that are smaller than you.
    As a 5'3" female, I appreciate this!! Also a big reason I'm not the biggest fan of GA. A little while ago at Radiohead, my friend and I were in the pit in a pretty good spot, so space tightened up fairly quickly. 2 guys who were at least 6' pushed up and ended up standing right in front of us. Because it was so tightly packed and the show had began, couldn't really ask them to move. People like that- :nono: Yes, I do understand it's GA and it can get crowded and sometimes there's not much you can do about space/movement, but when you can, please be mindful of us small folks :D
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    How about we just be nice and considerate to each other instead of being assholes. Fair enough?
  • Options
    jlarson75jlarson75 Posts: 113
    Jeanwah wrote:
    How about we just be nice and considerate to each other instead of being assholes. Fair enough?

This.

I guess I just figured that since most of us in the front half of GA will likely be 10C members, everyone would be cool and respectful. Is that naive of me?
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    jlarson75 wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

This.

I guess I just figured that since most of us in the front half of GA will likely be 10C members, everyone would be cool and respectful. Is that naive of me?

This might be naive, but can't there be a system that allows for people to save their spot while they go pee? Something like matching bathroom passes from elementary school where they come in pairs. Your GA buddy has one pass that matches the second one the identified tinkler has. People then see that you have a pass and let you in and out and back to your spot next to your buddy. Am I dreaming? If I am I'll watch you guys from my seat pee in bottles, be doubled over in pain, or just sticking it out by being dehydrated.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    most of the people want to enjoy the show ,have fun with the friends and no create problems to the rest of people at the venue..
    if someone want to be an asshole its his choice...

the problem for me isnt the "spot"...no biggie if u se the show 5 metres back..
    its the safety..if u push maybe someone fall down...dont have to say more about it..

was good that of what i saw the assholes was most of them without wristbands....
    community kinda respect eachother..

at least at the last euro shows,me and my friends didnt have problem with that..seems some people do that was smart to know who Not to push...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    samjam wrote:
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    As a 5'3" female, I appreciate this!! Also a big reason I'm not the biggest fan of GA. A little while ago at Radiohead, my friend and I were in the pit in a pretty good spot, so space tightened up fairly quickly. 2 guys who were at least 6' pushed up and ended up standing right in front of us. Because it was so tightly packed and the show had began, couldn't really ask them to move. People like that- :nono: Yes, I do understand it's GA and it can get crowded and sometimes there's not much you can do about space/movement, but when you can, please be mindful of us small folks :D
    I find that if you tap the tall guys on the shoulder, look up and bat your lashes a little and say "I'm sorry, I can't see," it works rather well, they'll generally switch spots with you :P Especially if you happen to have a lower cut shirt on and they get some cleav shots. Just sayin...do what ya gotta do to get a good spot :lol:
    "Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
  • Options
    Fifi_IrelandFifi_Ireland Posts: 576
    My view is that if you go GA then you cant expect to own a spot anywhere in the crowd and you cant expect to have space all around you at a rock concert. You have to expect to be bumped into the odd time, move place when the crowd shifts and you may also get covered in other peoples sweat :D

I dont expect to be punched, kicked or generally be overly bashed about unless I am in the mosh pit.

BUT this is a rock concert and I find some of the discussions on this board bizzarre that people expect to go stand at the front of a rock concert, not jump up and down and retain some sort of a large aura of space around them!

I did the two Manchester gigs, I managed to get quite far up the front even though I didnt queue for hours as part of 10 entry. It wouldnt even occur to me that the people up the front are entitled to be there for the whole gig at the exclusion of others. I would only think this about people who are lined along the barriers as that is fair enough they are literally at the front!

I found quite a lot of people up the front were not moving at all or dancing, just standing there, and then were giving me dirty looks even though I had excused my way into a gap that existed rather than in any way pushing or taking someones space. When I started jumping up and down getting excited you would swear I had threatened to kill someone - despite again the fact that i wasnt touching anyone. It was as if the possibility that I might at some later stage bump into someone was unacceptable (even though this did not happen)

This is a gig, if people want the comfort of space and guarantee that no one will bump into them then either buy a seated ticket or watch it later on a DVD>

I am all for respecting those around you, never EVEER hurt anyone, avoid being rude, bumping or standing in fron of someone taller than you, but always remember its a rock concert so it is not a criminal offense to rock out!
    168dcfb.jpg
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Thank fuck for some actual rock n roll sense.

It's GA. Want personal space? Get a seat. Can't hack the pressure in the front? Change locations, go to the back or the side where there's always more space.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    samjam wrote:
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    I find that if you tap the tall guys on the shoulder, look up and bat your lashes a little and say "I'm sorry, I can't see," it works rather well, they'll generally switch spots with you :P Especially if you happen to have a lower cut shirt on and they get some cleav shots. Just sayin...do what ya gotta do to get a good spot :lol:

nope..doesn't work for me. Most guys move up, push me out of the way (because I'm short), they look behind, see me and then stand right in front of me. I've said, "Excuse me, I can't see" and they say "sucks to be you". So I usually have to move.

I've been to enough shows to know what does and doesn't work. I have my plan for Missoula.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    My view is that if you go GA then you cant expect to own a spot anywhere in the crowd and you cant expect to have space all around you at a rock concert. You have to expect to be bumped into the odd time, move place when the crowd shifts and you may also get covered in other peoples sweat :D

I dont expect to be punched, kicked or generally be overly bashed about unless I am in the mosh pit.

BUT this is a rock concert and I find some of the discussions on this board bizzarre that people expect to go stand at the front of a rock concert, not jump up and down and retain some sort of a large aura of space around them!

I did the two Manchester gigs, I managed to get quite far up the front even though I didnt queue for hours as part of 10 entry. It wouldnt even occur to me that the people up the front are entitled to be there for the whole gig at the exclusion of others. I would only think this about people who are lined along the barriers as that is fair enough they are literally at the front!

I found quite a lot of people up the front were not moving at all or dancing, just standing there, and then were giving me dirty looks even though I had excused my way into a gap that existed rather than in any way pushing or taking someones space. When I started jumping up and down getting excited you would swear I had threatened to kill someone - despite again the fact that i wasnt touching anyone. It was as if the possibility that I might at some later stage bump into someone was unacceptable (even though this did not happen)

This is a gig, if people want the comfort of space and guarantee that no one will bump into them then either buy a seated ticket or watch it later on a DVD>

I am all for respecting those around you, never EVEER hurt anyone, avoid being rude, bumping or standing in fron of someone taller than you, but always remember its a rock concert so it is not a criminal offense to rock out!

^^
    all of this
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,088
    Wait, so those talking about it being a rock concert and people shouldn't bitch about personal space..can you answer the OPs question?

Is it ok to push your way to the front?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    On a side note: I was once asked to sit down at a Foo Fighters show. My friend and I were standing, dancing, having a good time. One guy, who decided to sit for a majority of the show, comes up to us and says "Can you please sit, we can't see." I look around and there were a lot of empty seats behind and around us (we had the nosebleeds). I said "Uhhh well no...can you move to one of the other many empty seats around?" He was like "I paid to see a show, just like you did." I said "Yes, and I paid for a ROCK N ROLL show, not a Celine Dion concert. I paid to have a good time." He actually ran and got an usher and told on me. The usher asked me to sit down, so I said "If you're going to ask me to sit, I want you and your co-workers to ask the entire audience of Madison Square Garden to sit. He can sit elsewhere, there are plenty of unaccounted for seats where I won't be blocking him." The usher walked away and the guy moved :lol:

Common sense, people. That's all you need. When I'm in GA, I move with the crowd. They jump, I jump. The sweat, beer spilled on you, the handling of crowd surfers...it's all part of the experience. If it's not something you want to be a part of, get a ticket in the seated section. If you see a mosh pit starting to form and you don't want to be shoved, step aside. I don't know about other states, but NY crowds are pretty courteous, we look out for one another in GA. If you fall, you're helped up. If you are clearly trying to avoid a mosh pit, you're helped aside.
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Wait, so those talking about it being a rock concert and people shouldn't bitch about personal space..can you answer the OPs question?

Is it ok to push your way to the front?
    For PJ, I don't push my way to the front. Don't care about being crammed in like that. I cherish my dancing space.

If I'm at the back, if I'm inclined to, for sure I will make my way to the front, one way or another. At a festival, if there's a circle pit in front, it's so easy to zoom right through. I'll probably get knocked off my feet, but I like it... the challenge is to not get distracted by the pit and want to stay there, as opposed to moving to the other end of the circle pit. Straight away, distance covered.

Then there's the times when people are sat down. Yeah, feel free to sit. I'm gonna step past all of yas. There's always space to walk. Not my fault them people have spent so much energy crammed into a queueing space for 12 hours, to be able to actually stand for a couple of hours after being let into the venue. They can queue all they want, have whatever nonsensical numbering system they want. Inside the venue, it's a different ball game.

But again, only when I'm so inclined. And I'm generally not anymore. I prefer my dancing space, and having my friends around me. So easy to just go wide of the stage, with the 15 minute early entry system that goes on here.

Is it ok? Who get's to say what's ok in a mass of people? I like a push, I like a circle pit. That's the extent of my 'pushing', mind. That, and the big shove-back against whoever tries to push through me. Go somewhere else, this isn't a weak spot.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    PUSH ...

... your way over to where the smoke is rising ...

... POLITELY ask for a hit.

IF they don't consent,

PUSH them.

:D

PS --
    Pushing ***IN A CIRCLE PIT*** is fun ...
    i said "pushing" not SHOVING AS HARD AS YOU CAN, NOT ELBOWS ...
    but pushing eachother is fun in a pit ... not as a contest of strength, but just to get eachother amped up and as part of the bounce-aesthetic ... Pushing SO HARD THAT YOU PUSH SOMEONE HARD AGAINST THE OUTSIDE OF THE CIRCLE is just acting like an asshole AND dangerous. Did i mention ELBOWS SUCK!?!

pps -- some of the most fun i've had at a concert in the last decade was at the Jane's Addiction show in NYC earlier this year inside the pit. By and large it was respectful and full of likeminded kids seeking FUN and NOT PAIN. There were a FEW assholes, though.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?