Options

Too Much

thankyousallythankyousally Posts: 30
edited July 2012 in Lost Dogs
I love Pearl Jam and have for a good while and I have to say this.
It turns me off that there is so much Pearl Jam merchandise. I actually was somewhat amused for a while basically just posters and t-shirt and an occasional trinket of some sorts. Now just about everything you can think of, socks, etc. I don't care if you have been around for 50 years ! Don't sell out like KISS !
The band may have succeeded staying out of the limelight compared to other bands but not as far as the merchandise goes.
Life is very hard and hard to make a decent living as you already know or else you wouldn't like Pearl Jam's lyrics.
Especially in times like these where we pretty much know it is going to get worse, aren't you too starting to see what I see?
This is not a lash out I would think you can see also. I would like to see how other fans feel about it too.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    Except, almost nothing PJ is sold in stores and any KISS limited edition item would have a run of 500 million units. I do wonder how many PJ coffins would be sold.
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    i dont see it this way..there no band out there than no sell their work...
    same as merch..what is much or less is a big conversation..
    no one force us to buy anything...all are our choices...
    i like there are alot to choose,i like they add more female clothes..
    cos there are out there,u dont have to buy them..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    WOW, I was starting to feel the same way but in a different aspect.

Yes they are merchandising more but it stays mostly only sold through the 10 club. That I can understand. But Now they have gone to selling things on EBAY. We see some one selling the 10 club playing cards on ebay for $20 we call them a flipper. But now 10 club is doing it with not only cards but key chains and other things.

I was asking myself do I think they have the right to wright songs about corporations ruling the day or Green disease? Of course they have the right but are they now just empty lyrics?

I know in the PJ20 book on page 200 under JUNE it says "Tim Bierman becomes the head of PJ 10 club and begins to oversee long term improvements to its online ticketing and merchandising operation"

Seem that him and his crew have taken care of the merchandising but not the ticketing. 14 years latter and still F5 :D

Im not saying he's done a bad job. Im sure PJ is not mad about the money he is helping to bring in. But is that what the band is about now. Or did they just hand the 10 club rains over and forget us?

What happened to the Eddie that wanted to tour on a bus. The man who had to get away from the plush recording place of Vs? Did age and the will to stop the fight finaly take over?

I know they are older now but they arent dead. They still put on a hell of a show. But is that all its turned into now? A show.

Im sorry for the rambling but I had a bad day and I was thinking this same thing about the band. No one loves the music more than I do. I dont think Im saying any thing hurt full. It just seems like the pushing of Product has become more important than the fans.
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    Maybe this is a way to keep the fans on fire during their dead periods, like when they are not touring or in between records. But on the other hand i see the fans keep asking for new stuff...Alpine BluRay, bootlegs, DVD's, women shirts etc...
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • Options
    deftones wrote:
    ..Alpine BluRay, bootlegs, DVD's, women shirts etc...

I wouldn't bat an eyelash at any of those being released, i love bootlegs (that is going the extra mile for the fans who want to hear a show they couldn't or did attend) women shirts are cool since there were never that many of those, dvds are understandable since we rarely get anything inside from the group and blu ray is alright for a 20 year anniversary i suppose. I guess I am talking about all the excessive things that seem to a point, pointless.
  • Options
    AzWicker wrote:
    Except, almost nothing PJ is sold in stores

That has and still is truly a saving grace.
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,050
    Great thread discussion and thanks for the topic/debate.

I don't think it has become 'too much' as there has always been PJ merch offered, rather I think its just more visible now. Back in the 90's, the only way to get PJ merch without being at a show was via the 10c's newsletter etc thru the fan club. Now its as simple as a click of a website and checking out (for those that can stay logged in on the new beta site LOL).

What does concern me, and I often partially joke about it is the amount of PJ items that seem to just test die hard fans if they will buy anything with "PJ" on it. There have been rare times where we are offered really neat items and products with lots of thought and deep meaning into the artwork on the items. Lately, however, it just seems any old item is quickly thrown together with "Pearl Jam", "PJ", or "10 club" on it and they just throw darts and see what sticks. I wish they took more time in their offerings or even had artists such as BK design some of the merch or maybe offer different items. Maybe have more items designed by band members so we feel connected more. Change up the items and offer different things. There are only so many t-shirts a closet can hold or a person can wear.

I am guessing some of this is why they now sell items on eBay, because they overestimated the response of us "Faithfull" buying and snatching up every single item and now they are over supplied with not enough demand. Don, I am guessing the higher prices on ebay are to account for eBay/PayPal fees and my rough calculations say that once 10c is done with those eBay/PayPal fees and shipping, it comes out to the same net gain for them after completing a sale with eBay.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Hopefully with the passing of the PJ20 "celebration", the merchandise train will come to a slowdown.

It was starting to look like Yogurt from Spaceballs there for awhile.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    What does concern me, and I often partially joke about it is the amount of PJ items that seem to just test die hard fans if they will buy anything with "PJ" on it. There have been rare times where we are offered really neat items and products with lots of thought and deep meaning into the artwork on the items. Lately, however, it just seems any old item is quickly thrown together with "Pearl Jam", "PJ", or "10 club" on it and they just throw darts and see what sticks. I wish they took more time in their offerings or even had artists such as BK design some of the merch or maybe offer different items. Maybe have more items designed by band members so we feel connected more. Change up the items and offer different things. There are only so many t-shirts a closet can hold or a person can wear.

Excellent and you have hit the center of why I feel this way. Everything you said above. I just couldn't put it to words. For sure when I would see merch with deep thought and work it says Pearl Jam to my heart, but when I see something thrown together (and you can tell), it is not for me.

'Maybe have more items designed by band members so we feel connected more.'

and that is a true intelligent thought and I have thought the same thing too. I often wonder for years if any member had any say in any work or did a design. It would mean so much more to me as a fan if they did posters and shirts with their own ideas, drawings, etc.

Tell me you wouldn't buy a t-shirt or poster with a cool doodle from Eddie or one of the guys.
  • Options

got that.understand what u said...but who knows whos idea is what of the items they sell..who knows from the fans that isnt all lets say Ed,Jeff ,whatever ideas,or a manager,a graphic designer,whatever..we just assume always....
    as the OP said if the design is from the band u connect different..
    who said isnt all bands work?who knows?
    really,who thought the zombi play cards?really,who thought that..we just dont know..
    when you dont know,like all of us...how can u have a 100% opinion?,based on what..?
    you know the moto with the asses and the opinion....

for me its too much analysis that i dont get it..
    its 2012....they sell stuff,u like and want buy...u dont like ,you dont..
    i didnt see anyone has problem with apple that every fuckin 6 months put out a new i phone..
    and cost a fortune..

there is no too much in business..its music industry..works this way...
    and pj dont sell anything if u check other bands..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    wait, so they have an official ebay presence?! what's the seller name?

actually i think they do a good job with the amount of stuff and the quality of it. that said, this is the second year they got the analog membership "gift" wrong. There shouldn't even be an analog gift in the first place charging us $20 extra which is kinda what the OP is talking about. Anyway the first year we got the "I'm Analog" t-shirt, which nobody is going to wear, and this year we received a whole sheet of 10C stickers, which is slighty better, but how about more variety with the stickers or at least one that said Pearl Jam?! Sorry, but I'd rather tell the world I love PJ rather than 10C. I personally love stuff with Pearl Jam written on it - not 10C.
    We love the band not the club!! Maybe 10C has gotten too big an ego? ;)
  • Options
    MissJam81MissJam81 Posts: 1,878

:thumbup: nice one Dimi! :clap:
    Wendy Testaburger

" we're going to take this to some level that people aren't going to forget... and if that means risking your life, we're going to do it!..." EV

"
  • Options
    broloco wrote:

actually i think they do a good job with the amount of stuff and the quality of it. that said, this is the second year they got the analog membership "gift" wrong. There shouldn't even be an analog gift in the first place charging us $20 extra which is kinda what the OP is talking about. Anyway the first year we got the "I'm Analog" t-shirt, which nobody is going to wear, and this year we received a whole sheet of 10C stickers, which is slighty better, but how about more variety with the stickers or at least one that said Pearl Jam?! Sorry, but I'd rather tell the world I love PJ rather than 10C. I personally love stuff with Pearl Jam written on it - not 10C.
    for the record alot of 10c member wear the analog shirt at euro tour...
  • Options
    MissJam81MissJam81 Posts: 1,878
    I think you might be looking into it a bit too much.... I agree with some here, things are available, you get if u want!
    Wendy Testaburger

" we're going to take this to some level that people aren't going to forget... and if that means risking your life, we're going to do it!..." EV

"
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    Once a new album drops this will not matter any more. Buy what you feel comfortable with and leave it at that. I thought the Zombie cards were fun but I did not, and will not, buy them. I do not need them.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options

'there is no band out there than no sell their work'

i am not saying they shouldn't sell anything, re-read

'what is much or less is a big conversation..'

of course but can you honestly say that there is less when it comes to PJ merch? :mrgreen:

'no one force us to buy anything...all are our choices...
    i like there are alot to choose,'

i am not against that, not against choice. i cant think of anyone that is.. well the religious and authority . WOW look at that just thought of 2 instantly off the top of my head, must be something to that.
    Of course there are people who like and buy KISS merch.
    The last thing I bought KISS was a tshirt from their so called first farewell tour and i bought it outside from the brothas not KISS, take that Gene- HA!

'i like they add more female clothes..'

so do i and i am male, i can remember vividly when i went on the site and first saw women clothes. it was a very cool equal feeling.

right, i am just saying as a comparison, i can never respect KISS after they whored all that merchandise and whenever I listen to any of their songs it is just a empty cold feeling. i grew up listening to them and then when i got old enough to see they cared more about money and selling shit than making good music, i had to turn away and face the truth. I never thought I could lose any more respect for them until Gene Simmons said publicly Kiss was never about the music, it was about the show. Gimme a fuckin' break. That is what I am saying. Can you imaging a PJ member ever saying that? No
    Now there are allot of people who know KISS is about the show and their music is lackluster but if you grew up on them you thought their music was awesome until you got that sudden awakening later in life.
    Some people demand a specific displayed moral from the bands they listen to (even if it is a strange moral that kind of fits their own philosophy), the majority i don't think are like that, i am. i must say the older i get the more choosier i am with my music no being able to listen to anything and everything i can get my hands on.
    I just think my angle is misunderstood, no big deal because that is the story of my life.
  • Options

'there is no band out there than no sell their work'

i am not saying they shouldn't sell anything, re-read

'what is much or less is a big conversation..'

of course but can you honestly say that there is less when it comes to PJ merch? :mrgreen:

'no one force us to buy anything...all are our choices...
    i like there are alot to choose,'

i am not against that, not against choice. i cant think of anyone that is.. well the religious and authority . WOW look at that just thought of 2 instantly off the top of my head, must be something to that.
    Of course there are people who like and buy KISS merch.
    The last thing I bought KISS was a tshirt from their so called first farewell tour and i bought it outside from the brothas not KISS, take that Gene- HA!

'i like they add more female clothes..'

so do i and i am male, i can remember vividly when i went on the site and first saw women clothes. it was a very cool equal feeling.

right, i am just saying as a comparison, i can never respect KISS after they whored all that merchandise and whenever I listen to any of their songs it is just a empty cold feeling. i grew up listening to them and then when i got old enough to see they cared more about money and selling shit than making good music, i had to turn away and face the truth. I never thought I could lose any more respect for them until Gene Simmons said publicly Kiss was never about the music, it was about the show. Gimme a fuckin' break. That is what I am saying. Can you imaging a PJ member ever saying that? No
    Now there are allot of people who know KISS is about the show and their music is lackluster but if you grew up on them you thought their music was awesome until you got that sudden awakening later in life.
    Some people demand a specific displayed moral from the bands they listen to (even if it is a strange moral that kind of fits their own philosophy), the majority i don't think are like that, i am. i must say the older i get the more choosier i am with my music no being able to listen to anything and everything i can get my hands on.
    I just think my angle is misunderstood, no big deal because that is the story of my life.
    dont worry about that..thats why we do a conversation..no one misunderstood u..
    alot of times i dont even understand myself..
    i get what u saying...
    but..when pj are on stage,they give us what we want an the resons we love them..
    they still making music,they still doing amazing shows..merch is a side of business..trust me they can make away more money from merch...they could easily make more pj20 deluxe and pj20 backbags...we are talking alot of money..they didnt,,,who knows why they think about it..its their music,their business..
    we are fans,doesnt mean we need or have to buy everything..
  • Options
    dont worry about that..thats why we do a conversation..no one misunderstood u..
    alot of times i dont even understand myself..
    i get what u saying...
    but..when pj are on stage,they give us what we want an the resons we love them..
    they still making music,they still doing amazing shows..merch is a side of business..trust me they can make away more money from merch...they could easily make more pj20 deluxe and pj20 backbags...we are talking alot of money..they didnt,,,who knows why they think about it..its their music,their business..
    we are fans,doesnt mean we need or have to buy everything..[/quote]

PEACE
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    If times are tough, then don't spend your money on a band's merchandise. Buy what you want/can, and avoid the urge to impulse buy things when you cannot afford them. Simple.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Hopefully with the passing of the PJ20 "celebration", the merchandise train will come to a slowdown.

It was starting to look like Yogurt from Spaceballs there for awhile.

:lol: Pizza the Hut
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    I don't take issue with the quantity/type of merchant the band puts. I'm OK with the fact that at the end of the day the band is a business and that business needs to make money. What I have a problem with is the method with which the band releases and sells said merchandise. It's no great secret that the whole limited edition/quantity ploy is simply a means of selling more units. Just like when the band only releases a few items of merchandise for sale at a time or even a few shows of a tour at a time, it's all about more sales. And the problem I have with this is that it creates this atmosphere of "must have", which is how things have been around here for some time. Just my 2 cents...
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    it creates this atmosphere of "must have"

:clap::clap:
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    . Just like when the band only releases a few items of merchandise for sale at a time or even a few shows of a tour at a time, it's all about more sales. And the problem I have with this is that it creates this atmosphere of "must have", which is how things have been around here for some time. Just my 2 cents...
    thats a great post ,and ill add my opinion in this..
    this u said is correct,but for work,need the other side to be part of it,,
    and this is side is "we" the fans...
    cos after the limited edition the band sales,an item costs 50$ the next day a fan here sell it for 150$ but at ebay is for 200$..and right away,10 fans post,great price,and another 10 says i wish i had the money to buy it..so,there is your "must have"..in one day.....so easy....and flipping survived and support by us..
    and someone buy it right away,in this "great"price....3 times up from face value...in a day.

simple as that...
  • Options
    AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    This is what happens when you don't sell 1 million records a week.
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • Options
    Aussie357Aussie357 Posts: 649
    I must admit, I have spent a TON of disposable income with 10C in the last few years, but only on things I liked - not impulse buying everything as a must have.
    I have to agree with Elway..... they need to put a LOT more thought into design. I love this band because imho it's always been something unique for so many reasons, and merch was always edgy and cool. I have stopped buying a lot of items lately simply due to the fact that I don't want my walls and wardrobe to scream "Rodeo Clown". There were a few posters of late that were fantastic, but as a guy in his mid to late 30's, being part of a fan base that has has a large number of it's faithful in the 30-50yr old range, it kills me to see posters that many of us are considering buying simply to adorn our kids' rooms walls. The band has access to AMAZING artists.... push the boundaries - don't settle!!! :fp:
    On another note (without malice, but will probably get me banished from the kingdom anyway).... I've always found 10C to be very helpful, but I recently had an issue regarding a purchase that I felt was dealt with very poorly - to the point that I was compelled to write a personal note to Tim Bierman over it. No surprise however - I have yet to receive a reply from Tim. Even after providing irrefutable proof of the validity of my situation, I was told in no uncertain terms that I was still wrong and I would not receive the item I had purchased (which was refunded), even though it was not very limited or sold out. Kind of a kick in the pants after being such an ardent supporter and customer - I guess the customer isn't always right. I do hope that it was just someone having a bad day, and not a sign of things to come. I still love you Ten Club!!! :D Apologies for the segway - I hope I am the only one to have experienced this.
    Not sure that I agree with 10C selling on eBay for anything other than charity items, but why should anyone start listening to me now??? :lol:
    At the end of the day there is always going to be something for everyone, and 10C is still a business. Is there too much? Probably. But we all have choices on whether to purchase or not. The only people I can see having issues are those who want to buy EVERYTHING but can't afford it ;)
    Is it cocktail hour yet???
    I'll keep takin' punches until their will grows tired... Hey I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.......
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,075
    By and large, I think most of us are content with items music-related (i.e. bootlegs, vinyls, DVDs). In addition to that, I can understand posters, as they, like ticket stubs, are mementos from the shows.

I know I for one did not lose my shit over a Patagonia backpack. Or a new $300 rain jacket.

But if there are fans who DO like that stuff, and it sells at that price, who am I to tell the band or the fan club to stop making it?

This kind of discussion has been had dozens of times on this board (with varying degrees of civility), but I think its wrong for me to impose my values on the band and tell them who I, the fan, want them to be. Isn't that the kind of shit that would've raked Ed (probably still does) in 1995?

So yeah, commercialism sucks and there is something fun about liking a band that not everyone likes or that isn't as flashy as say, KISS. But get over it. Its always been about the music for most of us and it always will be. If you don't like the merchandising direction, then take a breath and remind yourself whose values really matter (the band's management, or your own?).
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,850
    I don't mind there being more merch out there. A lot of it, IMHO, is supply and demand. Most of the folks who buy PJ merch at this point in the bands' career are the die-hards. The majority of the fan base demands an assortment of goods and the folks at 10C are delivering more of it. Do I dig all of it? No. I buy some of the stuff that I like (ok, more than I like to admit ;) ) and then keep my eyes peeled for the next release.

I think another thing that factors into more merch is the massive lag time between albums. In our attention-deficit era you need to maintain the attention of your audience and, to some degree, since neither new albums or extensive tours are currently serving that purpose, merch fills the void.

Like earlier posters allude to, who knows where the ideas are generated, or which band members approve certain designs. As much as art is a part of their process, particularly Ed and Jeff, and by art I mean the visual media that accompanies the music, my guess is that no PJ-related merchandise offered thru this website is released with the approval of at least one, if not all, of the band members.
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    broloco wrote:

for the record alot of 10c member wear the analog shirt at euro tour...

sorry to hear that :D
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801

I think you would pretty much defend them even if they burned your house down :o , :lol:

Maybe its a different outlook about this stuff over seas but here in the US, in the 90's people started to hate "The MAN" Or Big Corporations.

PJ once stood for giving the finger to any one who suggested they should market their name on every thing.
    It used to be a sorta underground thing. It was hard to get ahold of some thing that said Pearl Jam. You had to work to find it. Kinda like a way to prove you realy were a fan.

Now its more like, I just seen Creed put there name on a pair of socks, I dont think Pearl Jam will fit but PJ sure will :lol:

This discussion isnt about bashing any one. I think its more about Did the boys just say "If you think it will sell put our name on it."

Shoot we realy have no idea if the guys are involved with what the 10 club puts their name on. I guess until we know that this is all just speculation ;)
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...